• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll just read the Mob Psycho manga. I just kinda wanna know what the deal with his ??? persona is. Considering the very first sequence of S1 and Mogami saying something along the lines of "oh, so that's how it is" it's all but guaranteed this get tackled.

I'm in this weird place where S2 made me less interesting to the point where I don't mind not seeing it in glorious animation first. In addition, it seems like this adaptation might have been rather lacking in adapting some of the emotional highs thanks to rushing Mogami's arc and apparently skipping some "100% emotions" part in this finale.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly getting back into watching current anime and now that Ultraman is out on UK Netflix I thought I'd give it a whirl seeing as I liked the books and the original live action shows.

Ultraman 1 - 2

I'm not really sure what I expected from this visually but I didn't expect it to be so ugly? I'm not opposed to CG shows but it doesn't really do this any favours. Background are low detail at times, action scenes have no weight, framerate is weird and just generally the art direction is poor.

Its a shame as I really like the suit designs and while the story isn't amazing by any means I do enjoy the manga for what it is, a slightly more serious take on Ultraman. I'll probably finish the season but I don't think in the end up i'll think highly of this adaptation.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I read volume nine if Slime last night and man they skipped that entire volume in the anime!

Why. What is up with the wackass pacing. I appreciated finally getting ANY of Veldoras perspective, but I'd be willing to sacrifice that for the lost content and better pacing.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ultraman 01

I'm pretty ambivalent towards 3d cg anime, and while there where some of things about it that I don't like here, mainly the needlessly low framerate for certain shots, the action scenes themselves were pretty well done and smooth. I'll probably watch through the rest later tonight

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize there was a new thread. Hyped for Attack on Titan and Carole and Tuesday, but not really looking forward to much else.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Most of you probably aren't going to watch this but apparently the upcoming Shoumetsu Toshi anime has already wrapped up production before it has even aired. It's always nice to see something like this happen and hopefully it will be the norm some day.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Legit pissed about the Antarctica x Yuru Camp April Fools thing. Why they gotta hurt us like that? I want that to happen so damn bad.

Anime April Fools just seem mean spirited :|

Someone just spent $500 to gild the MP100 thread on reddit 100 platinums just so it can win against Kaguya. Smh....giving money to Reddit and only a bot benefits.

What a stupid pissing contest. The person at Reddit who came up with gilding posts / threads is looking like a genius.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I read volume nine if Slime last night and man they skipped that entire volume in the anime!

Why. What is up with the wackass pacing. I appreciated finally getting ANY of Veldoras perspective, but I'd be willing to sacrifice that for the lost content and better pacing.
Seems like the production committee wanted the anime to go even further than it went (which means it would be even more rushed), but the author of the novel managed to convince them to stop where it did, if the following is accurate:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1774049#msg57219528

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Mob Psycho 100 S2 END

Incredible animation job.i enjoyed mob's growth this season. Strong supporting cast and I liked the screen time Reigen got. I did not find the main conflict to be very compelling, guy gets corrupted by power is saved by deeply good and equally powerful force...pretty standard. Run with the Wind still has my vote for AotS.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mob Psycho 100 II 13

I know this is a cliche but what a tour de force this show was. Every episode was like the penultimate episode of another show animation wise. It was also great to see Mob transform from a timid pushover to someone with actual confidence. I hope we get a season 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of random, but why does there seam to be 0 interest in this show?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38098/Mix__Meisei_Story

Same author and setting (school,) as Touch (which still can't be watched anywhere) and Cross Game, which is one of my all-time favs.
Both anime's ar3e universally well regarded, no?

Is the source material for this one just really bad?
stories set decades later are usually never as highly regarded as original series.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Top 5 this season. Probably one of the best seasons in a while as well.

1. Run with the Wind
2. Kaguya
3. Mob Psycho 100
4. JoJo
5. Dororo

Chase

Oct 25, 2017

Same author and setting (school,) as Touch (which still can't be watched anywhere) and Cross Game, which is one of my all-time favs.

I will be watching to see if there is a dog named Punch.

Looks like they cast voice actors that are siblings as siblings in this series. Neat.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Eyeshield 96-105

Amazingly the worst filler is the actual filler football games. The non-football games are so much better because they don't have to pretend to make something worth caring about. The one episode games just don't work. School festival episode was cute though.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Voltt
The general consensus is that the first two arcs are better in '99, the third arc is good in both for different reasons, and the fourth is better in 2011.

So what's considered the 3rd arc? The whole hunter exam is one arc. Is the tournament tower considered 1 arc as well? And now I'm on a part where Kurapika is about to be a bodyguard for that girl. Is that arc 3?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Voltt

So what's considered the 3rd arc? The whole hunter exam is one arc. Is the tournament tower considered 1 arc as well? And now I'm on a part where Kurapika is about to be a bodyguard for that girl. Is that arc 3?
Yeah, the Hunter Exam's the first, Heaven's Arena's the second, and York New is the third. I guess there's technically the arc with Killua's family before Heaven's Arena, but it's so short that I don't really count it.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the production committee wanted the anime to go even further than it went (which means it would be even more rushed), but the author of the novel managed to convince them to stop where it did, if the following is accurate:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1774049#msg57219528
Wow. I am not a huge fan of the adaptation in general, but I still enjoyed it well enough. But holy shit they wanted an entire other volume thrown in there?

how

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Kemono Friends Episode 12 (End)

Man that was such a great ride. While there were some elements where I felt like bit lacking compared to the original, I think overall, it was an worthwhile sequel that improved a lot compared to the original. CG/animation felt like a huge leap overall, and the story was just as engaging as the original. Both the returning & new cast of friends were all great. Especially loved the dynamics between Kyururu and Caracal, which was quite different & refreshing compared to Serval and Kaban's dynamic in the og. Overall, a fantastic show as expected from Kimura, and I really hope we see more of this franchise!

I cried when the Yokouso Japari Park played during Kaban and Serval scene ;_;

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Mob Psycho 100 II Episode 13:

All of that effort and animation being dedicated to one of the blandest villain I have seen in a good long while is actually impressive in its own way but also goes to show that no amount of pyrotechnics is going to be an actual subsitute for charisma.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will be just a cruel april fools day prank (which they already did a different prank for the day)
or announced soon as legit.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The manga from what I know on impressions is good. I think most people are not going to watch thinking that it's some sort of sequel to Touch and thinking that they need to watch it first. It's the only reason for why I think it has so few people on MAL, for example (and probably many of those are manga readers of the series)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The manga from what I know on impressions is good. I think most people are not going to watch thinking that it's some sort of sequel to Touch and thinking that they need to watch it first. It's the only reason for why I think it has so few people on MAL, for example (and probably many of those are manga readers of the series)
There's no thinking... it is a sequel to Touch.
It's 26 years later though so I doubt there is a heavy connection.
It's also not as well received as the original Touch manga (but still well received in general.)
I might give it a try, but while I loved Cross Game, I couldn't get into Touch at all.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Time for end-of-season rankings

1. Run with the Wind
2. Mob 2
3. Kaguya-sama
4. Dororo
5. The Promised Neverland
6. Jojo

Edit: forgot about Boogiepop but I haven't watched the last 5 episodes or so.

Last edited:

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Rezero is insane. I'm only on episode 8 but I'm starting to suspect Emilia might be the witch. Especially since earlier on she called herself Satella. But Saberu's life is fucked up man. Suffering indeed.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Wow. I am not a huge fan of the adaptation in general, but I still enjoyed it well enough. But holy shit they wanted an entire other volume thrown in there?

how
I know, right?
Index III ended up in a worse situation, and the result shows. It had to cover 9 novel volumes in 26 episodes, resulting in the anime being awfully rushed to the point where it doesn't makes sense.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Dororo a monster/case-of-the-week type show? I won't bother if that's the case.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Is Dororo a monster/case-of-the-week type show? I won't bother if that's the case.

Like 4-5 episodes out of the 12 so far were Demon-of-the-week and those episodes were also the by far worst afaic. Majority was still related to the "core plot" and there was a good amount of progression on that.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
There's no thinking... it is a sequel to Touch.
It's 26 years later though so I doubt there is a heavy connection.
It's also not as well received as the original Touch manga (but still well received in general.)
I might give it a try, but while I loved Cross Game, I couldn't get into Touch at all.

Hmm. I've never been able to watch touch since it doesn't stream anywhere, but where this is so far in the future, I should be fine watching it as the references would be very vague.... hopefully.

The first 10 episodes were structured similar to that, but there is definitely a larger overarching plot to the story that is followed as well, so it's not your classic "episodic" approach.

Oct 25, 2017
BLack Clover 77

New OP and ED songs are great, love the visuals in both, also the kid Langris and Finral moments in the ED are emotional, as well as the usual AstaYuno.

Episode was pretty epic, Yuno doing his wind move in Alecdora's attack gave me lots of feelings because I like Alecdora and want him and Yuno to be friends, but Alecdora feels like Yuno isnt worthy, but now that he fought him maybe he will change. Epic.

Noella versus Solid was amazing, total destruction. I wish he could change as much as Nozel does/did.

Also lol.
tumblr_inline_ppbxmlMbrK1tlk2rb_540.png

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like 4-5 episodes out of the 12 so far were Demon-of-the-week and those episodes were also the by far worst afaic. Majority was still related to the "core plot" and there was a good amount of progression on that.
The first 10 episodes were structured similar to that, but there is definitely a larger overarching plot to the story that is followed as well, so it's not your classic "episodic" approach.
Cheers.

I watched the first episode yesterday and found it interesting but also inconsistent in terms of tone. Might just wait until all episodes have been released to see what the verdict is then.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I get the complaints about Mob fights this season being rushed but seeing as they've all been pretty run-of-the-mill shounen stuff and condensing them made space for the more character-focused arcs which imo are the best things the show has put out yet, it hardly seems like a downside to me. Always thought the first season was overrated in that regard but this season has definitely cemented it as one of the classics.

Winter 2019:
1. Kaguya-sama
2. Mob Psycho 100 II
3. Run with the Wind
4. The Promised Neverland
5. Boogiepop

Was looking like a pretty sparse season but all the big hitters delivered. Bring on spring @ikuhara

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Oh, we doing Ranks now?

1) Mob Psycho
2) Sword Art Online
3) Kaguya
4) That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
5) Domestic Girlfriend/Quints

Michiko & Hatchin ep. 1-3
What a start. It goes from action to cringy with the child abuse part and then immediate relationship building in just three episodes. It was structured and paced really well and drew me right into the characters and their lives. I'm going t really dig this one hopefully.

Last edited:

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Kemono Friends Season 2 END

So everyone shows up at the end for the grand battle and defeat the evil monsters and get to celebrate together as friends....but wait...

D3Gl3gsX0AAdEBM.jpg

WHO WAS LEFT OUT OF THE BIG MOMENT!? OH RIGHT DOMESTIC DOG STILL WAITING AT HOME IN A DARK HOUSE BY HERSELF FOR A MASTER WHO IS NEVER RETURNING

I HATE THIS SHOW NOW

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still giving the AotY to MP100 season 2 even with the slightly lackluster ending unless their is a gigantic surprise later this year. Some other rally good shows but nothing hit quite the same highs for me and even the weaker moments still shone brighter than the best of a lot of other contemporary anime.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I've never been able to watch touch since it doesn't stream anywhere, but where this is so far in the future, I should be fine watching it as the references would be very vague.... hopefully.

Having read all of touch and am up to date with the mix manga. It's very light on the references to touch. There are only 2 characters that are in both so far are side comedic characters. Mix I think is a lot more comedic than touch. Also the majority of the backstory references are to a generation of characters that weren't even in touch . I have theories about where the story is going and how it will tie into touch more but it's just that right now as the manga is still ongoing. also I think there was a anime only episode / movie in the 90s that takes place after touch... I need to watch that.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
1. Kaguya
2. Mob
3. Dororo
4. Quints
5. Domekano

Pretty good season for romance anime...both genuinely good and trashy as hell.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
1. Mob Psycho 100 II
2. Kaguya ( still need to finish the last 3 episodes)
3. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
4. Dororo
5. Sword Art Online
6. The Promised Neverland

Enjoyed every show I watched, so it has been a good season for me.
What I am looking forward to this season

Carole & Tuesday(whenever that comes to Netflix)
Attack on Titan
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Punch Man

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we're actually beginning to see a (much needed) contraction in the number of anime being released. I felt like this season has a smaller number of shows on average so I double-checked, and my intuition was right. By a rough count, there are only 50 TV anime being released this spring (and a high number of those are shorts/one-off specials), as compared to 74 TV anime in spring 2018. That's a significant decline in quantity. I'll be interested in seeing if this trend continues. Of course, when looking at overall anime production you also have to take into account the plethora of films being released these days. Still, the nature of films vs. weekly TV series make the former more likely to avoid insanely rushed production schedules, so a greater emphasis on films than TV would be good news for animators and other workers in the industry.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will effect the third season at all.
The official website of Shogakukan's GAGAGA Bunko label revealed on Monday that the 14th and final volume of Wataru Watari's My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected light novel series has been delayed indefinitely

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...ies-14th-volume-gets-indefinite-delay/.145308

I wonder if we're actually beginning to see a (much needed) contraction in the number of anime being released. I felt like this season has a smaller number of shows on average so I double-checked, and my intuition was right. By a rough count, there are only 50 TV anime being released this spring (and a high number of those are shorts/one-off specials), as compared to 74 TV anime in spring 2018. That's a significant decline in quantity. I'll be interested in seeing if this trend continues. Of course, when looking at overall anime production you also have to take into account the plethora of films being released these days. Still, the nature of films vs. weekly TV series make the former more likely to avoid insanely rushed production schedules, so a greater emphasis on films than TV would be good news for animators and other workers in the industry.
I wonder if Netflix throwing money at the anime industry, but typically requiring the series to be mostly done before it can air has changed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.