• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the single best show to watch if you want a serious discussion of sophisticated political philosophy. It's timeless, in a way, but too high-brow for the real 2019.

Our current global political situation is so ugly and ridiculous in practice, with even stupid politicans manipulating masses who should know better yet absolutely don't...the real world is chaotic, not neat and rational.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes has its democracy implode due to rampant corruption and incompetence. The only political system that ends up the winner is the benevolent dictatorship.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of the Galactic Heroes has its democracy implode due to rampant corruption and incompetence. The only political system that ends up the winner is the benevolent dictatorship.

I did think about bringing that up too, but you see...that is a problem as well. Not the winning, but the other part. Benevolent dictatorships are unicorns. Most dictatorships are neither benevolent nor meritocratic.

Also, the dictatorship even accepts to keep one last outpost of "pure" democracy hanging around. That's awfully nice of them and works well in terms of the characters, but it's still too clean of a solution.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out how Brexit relates to Code Geass.

Real people can be every single bit as stupid and incompetent as anime characters by acting against their own interests in various ridiculous ways, without doing what seems optimal in the eyes of both critics and the external audience.

If you had written the real story of Brexit many years in advance, some folks might accuse it of being unrealistic.

This isn't a particularly original point. Take a look at the situation and tell me it doesn't sound like a joke.

Oct 25, 2017
Real people can be every single bit as stupid and incompetent as anime characters by acting against their own interests in various ridiculous ways, without doing what seems optimal in the eyes of both critics and the external audience.

If you had written the real story of Brexit many years in advance, some folks might accuse it of being unrealistic.

This isn't a particularly original point. Take a look at the situation and tell me it doesn't sound like a joke.

No joke, I love how you manage to turn everything into a defense of Code Geass.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I love how you manage to turn everything into a defense of Code Geass.

Considering I am explicitly saying the real world sucks and that even a stupid anime isn't that far off in showing the stupidity of actual people, it's only a "defense" in relative terms.

But whatever. I guess my specific argument doesn't really matter, does it? Only the perception of what I am saying.

Oct 25, 2017

Apparently won't be out till 2020.

The work is an adaptation of Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!, or Hands off the Motion Pictures Club!, which has the following synopsis:

Asakusa Midori wants to create an anime, but she's too disheartened to make that first step by herself. But by pure chance, she meets Mizusaki Tsubame, an up-and-coming socialite secretly dreaming of becoming an animator. Together with Midori's money-loving best friend Kanamori Sayaka, the energetic trio slowly work towards making their "ultimate world" a reality!

So, I guess along the lines of the opening high school club scene of Shirobako before everyone enters the professional industry.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I am explicitly saying the real world sucks and that even a stupid anime isn't that far off in showing the stupidity of actual people, it's only a "defense" in relative terms.

But whatever. I guess my specific argument doesn't really matter, does it? Only the perception of what I am saying.

I apologize if it felt like I was mocking you, when that was not my intent. I was trying to express my affection for that consistent passion for Geass and Goro Taniguchi in general that you've shown over the years. I truly have grown fond of that part of your character.

At any rate, while I have not watched enough of Code Geass to take a position on whether it is a realistic depiction of the stupidity of human behavior, I do believe in the total depravity of humanity - recognizing that is the first step towards recognizing the truth about the world.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize if it felt like I was mocking you, when that was not my intent. I was trying to express my affection for that consistent passion for Geass and Goro Taniguchi in general that you've shown over the years. I truly have grown fond of that part of your character.

To be honest, I still think Planetes is probably the best of the director's series at showing the depravity of humanity and making an actual political commentary. Some may find it too on the nose, but I digress.

I do wish people would discuss more about his other shows. Unfortunately, the guy's recent projects are more or less radioactive from a mass market perspective. Whereas there will always be new viewers talking about Lelouch's Fabulous Adventure, no matter how much flak it gets, whether entirely deserved or hyperbolic.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

nsr.gif

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yuasa is pretty much the only anime director I follow and usually am immediately interested in his work.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did think about bringing that up too, but you see...that is a problem as well. Not the winning, but the other part. Benevolent dictatorships are unicorns. Most dictatorships are neither benevolent nor meritocratic.

Also, the dictatorship even accepts to keep one last outpost of "pure" democracy hanging around. That's awfully nice of them and works well in terms of the characters, but it's still too clean of a solution.
I mean the show acknowledges this and it definitely seems more behind the side of democracy than dictatorship given the framing of it's two main characters and that the one behind democracy is clearly framed in a more positive light overall. I don't think the show is seriously trying to portray benevolent dictatorships as the "solution", but more poses that human will continuously go through a cycle of prosperity and decline because no system is perfect

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One Punch Man S2 05

Who the hell greenlit this ugly as gradient look put over everything dark colored or metallic looking? Sadly that is the least of this episodes problems.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the show acknowledges this and it definitely seems more behind the side of democracy than dictatorship given the framing of it's two main characters and that the one behind democracy is clearly framed in a more positive light overall. I don't think the show is seriously trying to portray benevolent dictatorships as the "solution", but more poses that human will continuously go through a cycle of prosperity and decline because no system is perfect

I can agree with the substance of your argument, in case there is any doubt. By solution, I was referring to how they agreed to respect a symbolic outpost of democracy instead of erasing it. The heart of this show does support Yang and democracy, within the realm of ideas as opposed to how the system failed in practice, but Reinhard could be seen as an idealized version of how dictators see themselves, rather than what they often are. Effective and very competent even if it requires a little oppression on the side. That's...a bit of a myth.

Not going to beat the point to death right now, but I can sum it up like this: Dictatorship remains as a legit alternative and feels cleaned up compared to the realities of most real world countries with would-be authoritarian leaders (though some use propaganda to shape the historical narrative and thus pretend they were, after all, benevolent and efficient). There is some potential for a future conflict intentionally left behind with the final scenes, thus feeding into the cycle you've mentioned, but that's not the emphasis.

None of which detracts from the quality of the show. I think LOGH was excellent in no small part because we can talk about it like this.

Last edited:

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Fate/Apocrypha 4

Who knew I'd enjoy Astolfo's character this much when my only exposure otherwise was non-stop horny tweets clogging up my twitter TL?

Ingress 3

Inching a little too anime what with the XM particles being responsible for certain people in history, also inching a little too Matrixy with the bullet time bit with the Agent. Laughed at the people just playing Ingress on their phones being seen by the main characters as people helping in the weird proxy war going on. Music is pretty great at least.

Ueno-san 2

Throw Tanaka in anime jail someone.

Today's Menu for the Emiya Family 1

What the hell?
Between this and Golden Kamuy I'm convinced the future of anime is just cooking meals but not in the bad Shougeki no Soma way.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Episode 4
I have to admit, this is starting to get really, really good. I'm particularly surprised by how good the writing has been so far with characters always questioning themselves on both an emotional and moral level, instead of just taking everything for granted or face value.

Glad I stuck with it and thanks to you fine folk for recommending/discussing it! :)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Episode 4
I have to admit, this is starting to get really, really good. I'm particularly surprised by how good the writing has been so far with characters always questioning themselves on both an emotional and moral level, instead of just taking everything for granted or face value.

Glad I stuck with it and thanks to you fine folk for recommending/discussing it! :)

I was pretty confused on why it had such an incredible reputation but then episode 3 happens and you're whole outlook on the show kind of changes. I was already thinking it was going to be a more interesting nuanced take on the magical girl show, and it is, but man it goes some places. Also watch the movie sequel.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was pretty confused on why it had such an incredible reputation but then episode 3 happens and you're whole outlook on the show kind of changes. I was already thinking it was going to be a more interesting nuanced take on the magical girl show, and it is, but man it goes some places. Also watch the movie sequel.
Oh there's a movie even? Cool! I'll put it on the list.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...earch-spring-2019-tv-anime-popularity-ranking
1. "Wise Man's Grandchild" - 8,089 votes
2. "One-Punch Man second season" - 7,260
3. "Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba" - 7,248
4. "ISEKAI QUARTET" - 6,165
5. "We Never Learn: BOKUBEN" - 4,818
6. "Attack on Titan season 3 part 2" - 4,663
7. "The Helpful Fox Senko-san" - 4,597
8. "Fruits Basket" - 4,451
9. "Ao-chan Can't Study!" - 4,055
10. "Bungo Stray Dogs third season" - 4,051

So how is Wise Man's Grandchild?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man S2 5

We need to keep Saitama busy or nothing can happen.

Shield Hero 18

Why do I have the feeling that despite what is happening here Myne will still go after the Shield Hero when this is over or end up getting manipulated herself and get herself killed

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 18:

The manga did it better.... A lot better. I had faith in thee, Kinema :(

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Started watching kono oto tomare (what a weird name) and its actually really really good, surprise show of the season for me so far.

Oct 27, 2017
A Place Furthur Than The Universe End
This is a modern classic and a masterpiece. Nothing else I can say other than that people should go and watch it. I can see why it got AOTY on here and it more than deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.