• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I wonder if we're actually beginning to see a (much needed) contraction in the number of anime being released. I felt like this season has a smaller number of shows on average so I double-checked, and my intuition was right. By a rough count, there are only 50 TV anime being released this spring (and a high number of those are shorts/one-off specials), as compared to 74 TV anime in spring 2018. That's a significant decline in quantity. I'll be interested in seeing if this trend continues. Of course, when looking at overall anime production you also have to take into account the plethora of films being released these days. Still, the nature of films vs. weekly TV series make the former more likely to avoid insanely rushed production schedules, so a greater emphasis on films than TV would be good news for animators and other workers in the industry.
Honestly, I'm almost sort of glad.

There's so much top notch media these days that it's impossible to keep up with anime/netflix/gaming/etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we're actually beginning to see a (much needed) contraction in the number of anime being released. I felt like this season has a smaller number of shows on average so I double-checked, and my intuition was right. By a rough count, there are only 50 TV anime being released this spring (and a high number of those are shorts/one-off specials), as compared to 74 TV anime in spring 2018. That's a significant decline in quantity. I'll be interested in seeing if this trend continues. Of course, when looking at overall anime production you also have to take into account the plethora of films being released these days. Still, the nature of films vs. weekly TV series make the former more likely to avoid insanely rushed production schedules, so a greater emphasis on films than TV would be good news for animators and other workers in the industry.
does that include netflix shows and other online only things

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so interesting thing from Funimation's announcements today.
They only seem to be planning on putting the English Dub version of Fruits Basket on their site, which means someone else might have the rights to the sub (though most likely it's Hulu)

the only other show that is listed the same way is Black Clover and I just confirmed that it is only available in english dub on the funimation site.
https://t.co/Smvgfj6aK8
also they confirmed YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World joins our new season line-up, subbed & dubbed!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
like I and others said before, nothing indicated that Funi would be the only ones simulcasting Fruits Basket.
except for the amount of money they are putting into it including running ads on new york times square and the theater run :P
it's why I assume it's Hulu since they are partnered with them now.

I still feel the odds it is coming to crunchy is near 0, but we will see. It's not like I'm always right.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no thinking... it is a sequel to Touch.
It's 26 years later though so I doubt there is a heavy connection.
It's also not as well received as the original Touch manga (but still well received in general.)
I might give it a try, but while I loved Cross Game, I couldn't get into Touch at all.

It's on the same school, that's it. But the synopsis make it as if it's a real sequel.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

I thought CR isn't streaming Funi's stuff anymore? Also, is FB a same dubast for Funi?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
except for the amount of money they are putting into it including running ads on new york times square and the theater run :P
it's why I assume it's Hulu since they are partnered with them now.

I still feel the odds it is coming to crunchy is near 0, but we will see. It's not like I'm always right.

I thought CR isn't streaming Funi's stuff anymore? Also, is FB a same dubast for Funi?

well that didn't take long for me to be proven wrong :P
Anyways, while Funi isn't working with CR anymore, that doesn't mean that CR can't sign the same shows as them. While Funimation has the home video rights, the streaming rights can be sold to multiple companies assuming that funi doesn't pay for exclusive rights.
Crunchy wouldn't be able to produce their own dub and sell it for home video.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Magnificent Kotobuki 12
It's a shame that pretty much no one watched this show, because this final episode was absolutely incredible. Almost the entire episode is dedicated to an insane action setpiece that just keeps throwing crazy stuff at the viewer. This truly shows off how 3D animation can be used to deliver some incredible action if used well. It's staggering how much the has show improved from the first episode, where the height of excitement was one character doing a barrel roll.

Sadly, the rest of the show isn't really good enough for me to recommend to anyone. It's a real shame, because this episode deserves better.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
The Magnificent Kotobuki 12
It's a shame that pretty much no one watched this show, because this final episode was absolutely incredible. Almost the entire episode is dedicated to an insane action setpiece that just keeps throwing crazy stuff at the viewer. This truly shows off how 3D animation can be used to deliver some incredible action if used well. It's staggering how much the has show improved from the first episode, where the height of excitement was one character doing a barrel roll.

Sadly, the rest of the show isn't really good enough for me to recommend to anyone. It's a real shame, because this episode deserves better.
I was there for the battles and the comedy. I didn't really care much for whatever the overarching plot was.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you think that, when multiple shows even in Winter were shared between the two (Morose Mononokean, Date A Live, Cat is My Roommate, Fairy Tail, Kaguya, Quintuplets, many others)
Kaguya isn't a funi show, it's an aniplex show that was licensed to multiple places :P
your point still stands but I don't want Kaguya lumped in there because it makes it feel like it will get a home video release in NA but since it's aniplex it won't*

*due to pricing of aniplex sets I live in a reality where they just don't get home video releases in the NA and I have to import them from other countries with reasonable prices :P

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely hope this is the case. I think it would be good not just for the workers, but also consumers. Less rushed production and overwork can only result in an increase in quality.

I guess we'll see how it develops further down the line. I'm not getting my hopes up TOO much, but I will allow a little bit of hope.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Kitaro 49
download-1.png

This probably just sunk two ships at once. Well done Toei. This does make me wonder if some Yokai do grow up tho. How long does it take the ones that do to reach adulthood?

Good conclusion to the arc.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... what a strange season...

I guess I'll watch Yaiba and maybe Carole and Tuesday only because of the studio and Shinichiro Watanabe (he made Kids on the Slope, which I liked and I think this will be similar)...

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This season is a little weird.

- As Hosanna has correctly identified, we have less shows than last year (which I consider an improvement)
-The 'real' first episode of One Punch Man S2 doesn't air till next week
- First episode of Attack on Titan S3 Part 2 doesn't air for (checks) over 25 days? And it's only 10 episodes? That strikes me as odd.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
This season is a little weird.

- As Hosanna has correctly identified, we have less shows than last year (which I consider an improvement)
-The 'real' first episode of One Punch Man S2 doesn't air till next week
- First episode of Attack on Titan S3 Part 2 doesn't air for (checks) over 25 days? And it's only 10 episodes? That strikes me as odd.
iirc, the first episode of AoT S3 Part 1 aired on late July, which is like around a month after the Summer season starts.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
10 episodes seems rather tight for Aot S3 Part 2. There are parts that really need breathing room. If any of the content gets rushed through similarly to segments in Part 1 I'm gonna be really disappointed. But here's hoping they pace everything well after all. Even if that would be a first.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Updated streaming service info for those included in the highlights + added streaming service info for those part of the Long Running Highlights.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of crazy little girls:

VAs:
YUI - Luci Christian
SACCHAN - Monica Rial
KOTOHA - Brittney Karbowski

Dream cast right there.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Still makes me laugh that people genuinely believed that this would sell over 15k copies lololol.

Now we wait till we see Kemono Friends s2 selling decently.
Considering that it's known that there's massive stock shortages (Amazon.jp is stating that any orders placed now won't be fulfilled for another three weeks), I don't think we'll be able to say anything about the actual sales until late April.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, the Love Stage English dub is up in it's entirety on the VRV and HIDive website. They usually do one episode at a time, not the whole series.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Daiya no Ace: Act II 1

I think I'm already done after that first pitch. I don't think I can watch Sawamura suffer anymore lol

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Your Voice for the first time, today.

For the first time in a long time, I started bawling my eyes out. What a fantastic movie.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Eyeshield 106-110

They are reaaaaally trying to drive the point home that Agon is an awful human being. When he dislocated that Poseidon player's arm I was kind of shocked and then he got all kinds of forceful creeper on Mamori. Will be satisfying to see him be taken down. Though I have a feeling he's going to injure someone since the series hasn't really dealt with that yet.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Layton Mystery Tanteisha's ending was pretty good.
I hope it gets picked by someone, more people should watch this. The whole thing was fantastic, good mix of humor, puzzle solving (even if some cases were really out there) and heartfelt moments. Hanazawa Kana did an amazing job as Katrielle too, definitively one of my favorite characters of hers.
Also surprising how good it looks, considering Liden Films other shows. And it maintained quality for 50 episodes too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why did PIG leave Ace of Diamond, it used to be PIG x Madhouse, now its just Madhouse :(

Ace of Diamond Act II Episode 1

Omg its so good to have all of this back, I just wish we could get to my favorite moments faster. Okumura and others deserved more shots in the OP but they did keep the rice bowl moment.

Ive missed Eijun so much and that was hilarious how they start with that slip up, considering all the crushing moments of the extremely quick recap. Nice funny recovery, and his skills with that steal. Amazing.

Also Im so glad the OST is relatively unchanged, so many of my favorite songs to hear again.

Okumura, hype. And Seto hype!
tumblr_ppbxy9yxTT1rx86mu_540.jpg

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Why did PIG leave Ace of Diamond, it used to be PIG x Madhouse, now its just Madhouse :(

Ace of Diamond Act II Episode 1

Omg its so good to have all of this back, I just wish we could get to my favorite moments faster. Okumura and others deserved more shots in the OP but they did keep the rice bowl moment.

Ive missed Eijun so much and that was hilarious how they start with that slip up, considering all the crushing moments of the extremely quick recap. Nice funny recovery, and his skills with that steal. Amazing.

Also Im so glad the OST is relatively unchanged, so many of my favorite songs to hear again.

Okumura, hype. And Seto hype!
Based on what I've heard, IG never really played a significant role in the production of Diamond. If what I heard is true, IG was brought in because the committee didn't fully trust that Madhouse could handle the project and wanted some assurance. IG were more or less supervisors while Madhouse did most of the heavy lifting. I guess IG not being involved means the committee trusts them now?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Late but

Run With The Wind 23/Final - Holy shit. This show earned its ending and then some.
It's now one of my favorite anime of all time.
Go watch it all if you somehow didn't get around to it.
Prioritize it.
Don't miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.