• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Isekai Quartet 5-6

I gain life every time the "Kazuma, Kazuma" bit happens. This show is pure fan service joy.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 57

A PSA episode about traveling abroad? Huh? Also, Aine has been part of Japan's, maybe the world's, top Friends for over a year. How has she not gone overseas once? And how does she not know anything about the subject? She needs to go back to regular school. I'd complain about how a top idol's agents should be taking care of the passport issue, but that actually did happen. So I guess this episode is really about managers scrambling to cover for their charges' incompetence. Ichigo puts Aine to shame once more. And boo, I was hoping for some spykatsu when they finally arrived at this country halfway across the globe whose princess came to Japan to be an idol for reasons.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord 1-6

Isekai Quartet convinced me to pick this up. It's enjoyable. I like the tone of the series so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just watched Madoka Magica and was pleasantly surprised by it. Great art for the witches and labyrinths (Didn't care for the art style for the humans though), great pacing and drama and overall great Magical Girl anime trop turned into a Greek fucking tragedy.

So, I decided to listen to some Era members and give Rebellion a watch because it took place after the original series and was regarded highly. And not to my surprise, it was complete garbage. Filled with fan service, confusing as fuck second half and a shitshow for having contrived as hell reasons for story moments to happen. This is what happens when a person who is done with writing a story is forced by the higher ups to make a sequel to something that didn't need one. Sometimes you should just let a story end and have the audience come up with what happens after instead of a tired creator. Also, they had the balls to bait for a sequel to this mess at the end. At least the art and animation was good, but it's not enough to save this insulting train wreck.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
When I think about it, as influential as Madoka is to the genre, many of its dark magical girl successors flat out rejected its ending. Yuki Yuna, Wixoss, Daybreak Illusion sort of, even Madoka itself. Doesn't seem to be a genre happy to follow the sacrifice route.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 57

A PSA episode about traveling abroad? Huh? Also, Aine has been part of Japan's, maybe the world's, top Friends for over a year. How has she not gone overseas once? And how does she not know anything about the subject? She needs to go back to regular school. I'd complain about how a top idol's agents should be taking care of the passport issue, but that actually did happen. So I guess this episode is really about managers scrambling to cover for their charges' incompetence. Ichigo puts Aine to shame once more. And boo, I was hoping for some spykatsu when they finally arrived at this country halfway across the globe whose princess came to Japan to be an idol for reasons.
Yeah it was disappointing since I thought they'd do full espionage action with Hibiki and PP sneaking into the Sorbet kingdom.

It was still cute seeing Coco explaining the process of travelling to Aine tho.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
I actually just watched Madoka Magica and was pleasantly surprised by it. Great art for the witches and labyrinths (Didn't care for the art style for the humans though), great pacing and drama and overall great Magical Girl anime trop turned into a Greek fucking tragedy.

So, I decided to listen to some Era members and give Rebellion a watch because it took place after the original series and was regarded highly. And not to my surprise, it was complete garbage. Filled with fan service, confusing as fuck second half and a shitshow for having contrived as hell reasons for story moments to happen. This is what happens when a person who is done with writing a story is forced by the higher ups to make a sequel to something that didn't need one. Sometimes you should just let a story end and have the audience come up with what happens after instead of a tired creator. Also, they had the balls to bait for a sequel to this mess at the end. At least the art and animation was good, but it's not enough to save this insulting train wreck.
I disagree with this at almost every level. It's been a while since I saw so I don't want to get into the specifics but I'll just say that this is very much not an unnecessary sequel, it is a natural conclusion from the TV show and it is a story that needed to be told. Saying this as someone who was at one point apprehensive about watching it because I thought the TV ending was good enough.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Continuing with K-On season 2

Ep 3
A Ritsu focused episode. I appreciate her chemistry with the rest of the cast (Yui in particular), but she just doesn't have anything going for her as a standalone character. And this episode does nothing to fix that. Even Mugi, who maybe has 10% as many lines as Ritsu overall still manages to be a more interesting character. Hell, she's the more interesting character in this episode, despite it supposedly being about Ritsu.

Ep 4
Massive disappointment. You base an entire episode around a trip to Kyoto, and the only things you actually show from the city are Kinkakuji and the Arashiyama monkey park. Well, at least those two places are pretty accurate to how I remember them, although Kinkakuji lacks the hordes of tourists everywhere while the monkey park makes the monkey seem way cuter than the aggressive, territorial beasts they are in reality.

Ep 5
Really liked this one. Appreciated the focus on some of the minor side characters. And it further portrays Azusa as sort of the outsider to the group, which I still think is one of the more interesting character themes the show has going for it.

Kind of weird seeing Ui say she doesn't know how to play music when it was already established in S1 that she's literally better at guitar than Yui, but then again this isn't a show where things like this matter, I guess.

Ep 6
Pretty much nothing happens here, other than one nice joke at the end. But it's K-On, so it's not like you watch this show because you expect things to happen.

Ep 7
Am I the only one that finds the way this show treats Mio to be deeply uncomfortable and mean-spirited? For what's supposed to be a fluffy slice of life, the show really likes to put her into situations that are clearly deeply uncomfortable for her, and then expects the viewers to laugh at that. And this episode is basically just that for the entirety of its runtime. At least you could argue she shows some character development at the end, but I'm not even really convinced about that.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kono Oto Tomare!: Sounds of Life Episode 5 EngDub

omg I cried from the whole koto playing part, it was so emotional and everything, seeing everyones thoughts coming together and emotional with tetsuki's and chika's linked past and tetsuki always being his only friend to find him in the trash and etc and cry for him and take care of him, and then grandfather,, aw.
Chikas solo and the whole sequence after made me tear up a little too. Kinda feels like chika is the mc of the show and not the guy with glasses.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fate/Stay Night UBW S2E7 (or Episode 19)
I'm confused. They casually reveal that
Archer is Shirou but no one bats an eye? Is this somehow expanded upon in Fate/Zero? Because Saber doesn't seem surprised by this at all and Shirou is just standing there in the background pretending this is all known to him as well? I feel like I've not been paying attention lol.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Fate/Stay Night UBW S2E7 (or Episode 19)
I'm confused. They casually reveal that

It's been a while since I watched the show, but I'm pretty sure that at that point,

It's heavily implied that everyone already knows about Archer. On obvious example I still remember is the red pendant/necklace that Shirou has a copy of, despite Rin insisting there's only one of it in existence, but I think there were a bunch of other obvious clues.

Either way, none of this is in Fate/Zero, because Stay/Night Archer doesn't show up there, and it's a prequel. If anything, it would show up in the first route of the VN, but I never read that or watched its adaptation (which has a reputation for being terrible), so I wouldn't know.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since I watched the show, but I'm pretty sure that at that point,

It's heavily implied that everyone already knows about Archer. On obvious example I still remember is the red pendant/necklace that Shirou has a copy of, despite Rin insisting there's only one of it in existence, but I think there were a bunch of other obvious clues.

Either way, none of this is in Fate/Zero, because Stay/Night Archer doesn't show up there, and it's a prequel. If anything, it would show up in the first route of the VN, but I never read that or watched its adaptation (which has a reputation for being terrible), so I wouldn't know.
Yeah it seems heavily implied throughout the series but the whole pendant thing was always lost on me. I had no idea that it carried such a significance lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this at almost every level. It's been a while since I saw so I don't want to get into the specifics but I'll just say that this is very much not an unnecessary sequel, it is a natural conclusion from the TV show and it is a story that needed to be told. Saying this as someone who was at one point apprehensive about watching it because I thought the TV ending was good enough.
Well to each their own I supposed, it just felt like a tacked on psychedelic sequel to what I thought was a perfect ending to a TV show.

Homura turning into Satan made my eyes roll harder than anything, even if you take into account that for every good thiing, there is a bad thing or whatever, the way it was executed was confusing and stupid.
At least the visuals made this not an entirely painful watch, so I guess I recommend it if you want to see some cool medium mixing.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Operation Vividred

kBJNlEH.png

Oct 25, 2017
Wow BLack Clover bringing out its A+ team for Yuno today was incredible.

Also flowing hair in the wind always adds a certain something to any anime fight.

Creyed hard for Asta today. Wow.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed, Rebellion was perfection

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Code Geass R2 10
There is way to much sexualisation of a 10 year old going on. Should we be surprised, though? CG had been adding obnoxious fan service every episode. This time the empress of China, saved? Saved. Kidnapped. Same diff in this case. Anyway the empress is saved from a child, political marriage to a prince of Britannia by Zero, only to have disgusting shots of her wedding dress pulled up to show off her leg garter. Plus there's that idiot princess from Japan that's putting nonsense in the little girl's head that her bodyguard, a grown man, is destined as her true love. I hate this, I hate this entire plot line, I've officially checked out.

Until LeDouche loses a decisive battle against China as he tries to rescue a kidnapped Kallen. Nobody dies in this show, though, so I'm sure she'll be fine. But really, though, LeDouche losing was great, I loved it.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Have you finally fallen for the budget meme ?

Truly, the end times are coming.
Welcome !
It's okay to say that if they're dodging taxes.

Well to each their own I supposed, it just felt like a tacked on psychedelic sequel to what I thought was a perfect ending to a TV show.

Homura turning into Satan made my eyes roll harder than anything, even if you take into account that for every good thiing, there is a bad thing or whatever, the way it was executed was confusing and stupid.
At least the visuals made this not an entirely painful watch, so I guess I recommend it if you want to see some cool medium mixing.
I know Madoka's selfless altruism through her wish is very cool and all but Homura was looking at the bigger picture.
If Madoka's response was to pay a heavy price for the 'greater good', Homura was all about rejection, not just the idea of being a 'magical girl' but also the world that deems them necessary, even if it meant that she were to become the devil herself. Do I want Homura who questions the basis of rules/structure of a world that expects benevolence from the weak(Madoka + Magical girls in general) with no accountability from the powerful(Kyuubey) just to function, to be right? Fuck yes, I want her to be right.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba 07

That was a nice twist there at the end, and a smart move on the demon's side. I'm much more interested now.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I know Madoka's selfless altruism through her wish is very cool and all but Homura was looking at the bigger picture.
If Madoka's response was to pay a heavy price for the 'greater good', Homura was all about rejection, not just the idea of being a 'magical girl' but also the world that deems them necessary, even if it meant that she were to become the devil herself. Do I want Homura who questions the basis of rules/structure of a world that expects benevolence from the weak(Madoka + Magical girls in general) with no accountability from the powerful(Kyuubey) just to function, to be right? Fuck yes, I want her to be right.

The question is...how much of a conclusion was that really supposed to be?
Unlike the Madoka TV show, which was originally written by Urobuchi as a definitive ending, Rebellion feels more like re-opening a can of worms and creating a new extension into another possible outcome, rather than a truly one-off movie.

In other words, the film's story was made open-ended rather than closing it all up again. I didn't have a huge issue with that myself, but I did feel the movie created the real or apparent need for more sequels (I mean, you can confirm the staff and the studio still wanted to make more Madoka, after the fact, by looking at interviews)...and those haven't happened yet.

Rebellion does represent an additional layer of character development for Homura, whether the viewer wants to accept or reject the underlying concept behind her decisions, but it's not exactly a resolution in and of itself. There's still unresolved tension and Homura faces relatively little opposition. One could believe her to be right, but...who knows what would happen next?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, Rebellion was perfection
Rebellion is still probably my favorite anime movie. I was ok with how the series ended, but absolutely adored Rebellion and additional layers of development it gave to characters. The biggest mark I can give against it is that I don't think Kyoko got enough screen time.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rebellion is still probably my favorite anime movie. I was ok with how the series ended, but absolutely adored Rebellion andv additional layers of development it gave to characters. The biggest mark I can give against it is that I don't think Kyoko got enough screen time.

It's the only reason I'd go out of my way to recommend Madoka to people, it impressed me that much lol

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to start rewatching GiTs Stand Alone Complex for probably the first time in maybe 11 or 12 years and it's still as good as i remember, also chose to switch to the Japanese audio this time since funimation decided to change the VA in arise and i assume the new series next year so i may as well get used to their Japanese voices, only problem is after watching HappySugarLife all i can hear when the tachikoma squeel is shio's voice (yes i know it's the same VA)

The OP in HD shows some areas of it aged pretty badly but i'm surprised manga UK managed to author their own Blu-ray without any faults in the standard edition and it's pretty nice to hear anime in 5.1 rather than the 2.0 track 99% of it's done in

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The question is...how much of a conclusion was that really supposed to be?
Unlike the Madoka TV show, which was originally written by Urobuchi as a definitive ending, Rebellion feels more like re-opening a can of worms and creating a new extension into another possible outcome, rather than a truly one-off movie.

In other words, the film's story was made open-ended rather than closing it all up again. I didn't have a huge issue with that myself, but I did feel the movie created the real or apparent need for more sequels (I mean, you can confirm the staff and the studio still wanted to make more Madoka, after the fact, by looking at interviews)...and those haven't happened yet.

Rebellion does represent an additional layer of character development for Homura, whether the viewer wants to accept or reject the underlying concept behind her decisions, but it's not exactly a resolution in and of itself. There's still unresolved tension and Homura faces relatively little opposition. One could believe her to be right, but...who knows what would happen next?
That's a fine argument but I still feel Homura's decisions and actions were a tale meant to be told, especially after the TV show. Even at the cost of 'reopening that can of worms'.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fine argument but I still feel Homura's decisions and actions were a tale meant to be told, especially after the TV show.

I think that's fair too, since any real thematic analysis of the film ends up going back to her. The issues some people tend to have, which I'd say are also valid in either case, were often more narrative-based and/or empirical in nature. At the end of the day, no work of fiction is or isn't "necessary" per se, outside of what we can label as such within our own interpretations and experiences.

The OP in HD shows some areas of it aged pretty badly but i'm surprised manga UK managed to author their own Blu-ray without any faults in the standard edition and it's pretty nice to hear anime in 5.1 rather than the 2.0 track 99% of it's done in

This reminds me...it's still a huge shame that Anchor Bay didn't care about fixing the annoying audio/subtitle issues with the U.S. release of GITS:SAC, but I am glad that at least the UK version seemed to come out in good shape.

Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond Act II Episode 8
tumblr_prurs5vrja1qg4jrho1_500.gif

I love that Miyuki senpai has reached epic status (though he still can miss easy balls)

Really awesome episode cause I love how it made it seem like old folks on the team now need to fight for their positions.

Preview is making me excited OkumuraSawamura action finally! Ive waited for years for this.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the tv series ending to Madoka:

To be clear, all those who girls who were going to become witches just died instead?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's fair too, since any real thematic analysis of the film ends up going back to her. The issues some people tend to have, which I'd say are also valid in either case, were often more narrative-based and/or empirical in nature. At the end of the day, no work of fiction is or isn't "necessary" per se, outside of what we can label as such within our own interpretations and experiences.

This reminds me...it's still a huge shame that Anchor Bay didn't care about fixing the annoying audio/subtitle issues with the U.S. release of GITS:SAC, but I am glad that at least the UK version seemed to come out in good shape.

i think it's B locked but i can check later for you if you want, i think it's something like £30 so it's a pretty good price for 52 episodes

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Haven't seen a lot of people talking about it on here (I might have just missed it though).. is anyone watching that Midnight Occult show? Is there a good consensus surrounding it?

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

Something something Homura did nothing wrong.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably known by a lot of you, but it looks like Twelve Kingdoms is on CR now. I was rewatching it on Amazon as it was one of my favorite shows back in the day, but it's been a little difficult dealing with the 4:3 and frame rate of the animation. None of that bothered me back in the day but it's so glaringly obvious these days. I just loaded up a CR episode though and it seems like it may be remastered or something in a way that was not evident on Prime.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And that's Unlimited Blade Works finished!

Can I watch Fate/Zero now? Kind of don't want to have to wait until all of the Heaven's Feel movies are out. :(

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not get the good one spoiled than the other way around but hey, that's me!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blac Clover #84

That was some great sakuga. They also really expanded the fight considering how in the manga it was just a few pages. Great job in the episode.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Saga of Tanya of evil episode 1

Since I watched all the other shows in isekai quartet I thought I watch this one.... But I don't know if I want to . Is this show really about good guy Germany fighting the asshole allies in WW2 but with magic? Liked the action though.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather not get the good one spoiled than the other way around but hey, that's me!
Man... everyone is so divided on this. I've read some more impressions elsewhere and there's a big portion of the VN audience that recommends starting with Zero even lol.

I think I'll just say fuck it and watch Zero. I don't want to have to wait years until I can carry on with my Fate binging.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Since I watched all the other shows in isekai quartet I thought I watch this one.... But I don't know if I want to . Is this show really about good guy Germany fighting the asshole allies in WW2 but with magic? Liked the action though.
WW1, but our protagonist isn't exactly good, though.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

WW1, not WW2. But yeah, the first episode is rough, and a bad introductory to the story. It gets better afterwards, once the proper start of the story happens in episode 2. At least watch the next two episodes.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
WW1, not WW2. But yeah, the first episode is rough, and a bad introductory to the story. It gets better afterwards, once the proper start of the story happens in episode 2. At least watch the next two episodes.
After watching up through episode 3 I think you are right because yeah that first episode was rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.