• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already on it. The second episode actually finally had a scene that demonstrates what I was talking about regarding the humor of the show (sorry for the crappy video subtitles, but for some reason it's surprisingly hard to find decent K-On clips on Youtube, which you'd think wouldn't be the case with how popular the show is. Also the thumbnail spoils the punchline of the joke, but oh well):

Followed later on by this:

It's not some masterfully written joke, but it just works.

Between this, Fumoffu and certain parts of Nichijou, I'm actually pretty sad Kyo-Ani stopped making comedies and decided to focus on emotional melodrama instead. Because it's pretty clear they understand how to direct humour in a way most other studios don't. But clearly looking at the internet I'm in the minority with this opinion. I guess Dragon Maid was a comedy, but that has its own set of problems.

Not quite sure I'd call K-On feminist as such, but it's no like the video really tries to make a case for it either. On the other hand though, it's nice to see that some of my impressions are mirrored elsewhere (about how K-On isn't just a show about nothing).

As for Yuru Camp, maybe later on. I've got a large enough backlog as is, and what little I've seen of it simply wasn't anywhere near as appealing as K-On (which is good literally from the first scene).

On the other hand, I actually did read this article a while back, before watching K-On, and wasn't really convinced by it. Stylistically, it feels far too academic for laypeople, but also doesn't even come close to what any halfway decent actual academic paper looks like. It's just so disjointed, jumping from point to point that it's hard to tell what it even wants to say. Basically, it feels like an article for people who already like K-On, and isn't going to change anyone's mind about it.

So I guess it makes sense to come back to it now. And I guess it does make some good points. Although as should be obvious from my impressions, I really disagree with how it completely hand-waves away the problematic elements of the show. I felt like Sawako definitely wasn't the minor insignificant character that literally nobody would relate to, like the article portrays her as (I relate to her in a way simply because she's an adult, for instance). Sure the show isn't shown from her perspective, but I'm not convinced that excuses the character. And trying to rewrite her as some friendly sympathetic figure doesn't really work for me when you consider she's literally blackmailed into helping the club in the first place, and then you could argue she only sticks around to creep on its members.

So you sold me on this and after the hilarious 1st episode I'm hooked!

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
StrayDogs 32:

So is this supposed to be a redemption arc or what? Will Francis try to get the book by being his ruthless self but being just? I wonder what role he will play.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Working for over a week straight means you don't get a lot of time to watch stuff as its airing. Thank goodness I was able to catch up today.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 30
It's still surprises me it took so long for someone to bring that thread up, but it's a good thing they aren't waiting until the finale to address Bucciarati's situation. It's insanely convenient for this particular encounter, though, as he alone has the one defensive utility against the seemingly unbeatable Green Day. Oasis is a very convenient Stand to pair with Green Day since it makes up for that Stand's one weakness, namely its bizarre activation prerequisite. However, while the end of the episode makes it seem like things are looking up for the crew as they get the upper hand, I feel the rest of this fight will be much harder to win than it looks so far. I will say, I feel like the direction for this fight is also been quite good, and while it might not have a lot of stellar moments of animation thus far, it holds up against a lot of the more recent fights in terms of flow, editing, and composition. Here's hoping those stand-out animation sequences will populate much of the rest of the fight as it approaches its climax.

GeGeGe no Kitaro 56
Out of curiosity, I took a look to see if my hunch was correct, and much like the Ghost Train episode that aired around this time last year, this is another classic Kitaro story adapted into the most recent show's format. It certainly feels that way as instead of presenting biting social commentary aimed at a younger audience or commenting on certain situations in the real world, this has a very timeless quality to it. Waiting to share this story until after the conclusion of the Backbeard Army arc makes a good amount of sense, but really this feels like a standalone story about a vampire that happens to touch on the allure of power obtained and humanizing those who choose to isolate themselves out of fear for what they could lose by opening up to others. It's a stark and old-fashioned approach to storytelling that feels as relevant now as it did when it was first published some fifty years ago, and it got a royal treatment in this adaptation with some gorgeous animation and some very strong direction that felt like it lifted from a lot of vampire-focused anime of old rather than from Kitaro's past. Maybe not quite on the level of some of this series' most standout episodes, but a good stand-alone one that people should check out, as they'd be missing out on some classic Kitaro storytelling handled as well as any of these classic tales have been.

Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? 7
I don't mind the idea of the show hopping between some other couples rather than sticking with the next one until their "story" reaches its conclusion. It gives the opportunity for more variety... at least in theory. The trouble is that outside of some visual differences between the various female characters (short, tanned skin, various hairstyles, etc.), all of them seem to have the exact same features when it comes to the parts that play any role in ecchi content, specifically in terms of breast size. It reminds me of my thought process when thinking about Mortal Kombat 9's female designs, in how I found it odd not that they all were embarrassingly clothed in comparison to their male counterparts, but that they all seemed to have the same exact body frame, especially when it came to bust size. It's not so one-dimensional here, but Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? does follow the same basic logical flaw in that it puts more work into the visual variety for the unimportant male lead than it does showcasing a wider variety of body types and distinguishing features for its female leads. Not only does this lead to boredom visually but it also leads to the scenarios, no matter how extreme, to become insanely repetitious as they rely on the same kind of gags over and over and over (bras becoming undone, breasts getting caught in other clothing, unintended nipple contact, etc.). At a certain point, the gratuitousness of the scenario stops mattering if it only leads to the same kind of jokes being repeated in slightly different variations. Unfortunately, this is only something that becomes obvious after watching for a while, but I think I'm only really willing to give this show one more chance to actually impress me in terms of its creativity; otherwise, I feel like I've had my fill here and any more will just dilute what the show was offering early on.

Attack on Titan 53
This definitely feels like one of those episodes where the material is carrying the show IN SPITE OF its production. Say what you will about Wit, but the news that they aren't planning on continuing to lead Attack on Titan's animation after the conclusion of this third season doesn't come as much of a surprise when taking the grand scope of both cours' production quality into account, not to mention comparing it directly with the second season (Wit's best handling of the series as a whole) and against other shows they've done recently that have had a far more stability in their quality (e.g. After the Rain, the new Kabaneri movie), Titan has clearly not been their focus for some time now, and its come to the point where most of the series' redeeming elements come from the source material rather than its adaptation. It's a shame, because in large part the material here has shown itself to be the strongest since some of the latter stuff in Season 2, especially with things like Erwin's morality, the mystery surrounding Dr. Jaeger's research, the truth at the heart of the Scout's destiny, and many of our main characters starting to come better into their own without being carried by the more experienced cast members around them. It's all great stuff, belayed somewhat by production values that range from disappointing to outright laughable (the Colossal Titan is impossible to take seriously whenever he's shown in 3D; the render looks unfinished and nowhere near as impressively detailed as anytime you see him in 2D during close-ups and the like). I just hope that the material this series is heading for in the latter half of this cour has some decent payoff, as that's something that Titan feels like it's been lacking throughout the third season, and it would be nice to get some closure to some things as Wit's time with the series comes to a close. Whatever the series' future may have in store, I do hope they can at least end their time on a high note instead of a whimper, and do so without relying solely on the material to carry them.

Carole & Tuesday 7
I really don't know what they were thinking when they pitched this episode. In comparison to the Coachella knockoff episode or the one about the music video, this felt like it was filled with egregious amounts of filler and spent so much time on a sub-plot that has no consequence whatsoever that its kind of baffling. While I like the idea of seeing Carole & Tuesday's take on a generic talent show (the kind of which I end up seeing far too much of at work), so much attention was dedicated to mocking various failed auditions that the gag went from funny to boring to infuriating. And this isn't even counting on the "second thoughts" plot that takes up the second half of the episode that comes from the idea that Tuesday has lived with Carole for months and they've never talked about themselves to each other off-camera before? Come on, am I really supposed to believe that? As per usual, Angela's story continues to be far more interesting, especially considering that some more details on her home life and her childhood explain a lot about why she's become who she is, and how desperate she is to free herself from her mother's clutches. I still have some hope that things may improve in the larger part of the story when the two parties meet, but it really depends how much they lean into that since Carole & Tuesday's more "serious" narrative material doesn't stand up so well, especially when it takes up so much time it means we don't get a new song even when there's a good point in the episode to introduce one.

Sarazanmai 7
It's hard to be surprised at that reveal at the end; but then again, I suppose it's one of those things where you're supposed to reflect on two different stories of how "love" can be twisted in such a way that it lets people do horrendous things to preserve what they have. Since both stories are currently unresolved, it'll be interesting to see how the fallout of both ends up coloring the rest of the series, as I expect they will become the driving force from this point forward as they inevitably intersect and the truth behind the defeat of the kappa kingdom comes into focus. Other than that, there's not too much else to say. It's interesting at seeing just how much Kazuki has been completely changed as per the last couple of episodes, but his almost compete transformation of character does feel well earned from a writing perspective, and its nice to see just how much his change changes the mood of those around him, which plays into the end of the episode. On a less positive note, I couldn't help but realize I wasn't particularly blown away by any animation or particularly sharp direction this time around. This might be weakest episode in terms of visual spectacle in the series so far, and while that still means its a step above most of what's out this season, it was a shame to see, even if this was a decent episode to choose to sacrifice some of the visual quality since this is both a denouement and the set up for the rest of the series. I'll start to worry if next week doesn't show a return to the rest of the series' standards for visual quality and direction.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 31
After this episode, I'm thinking Steely Dan got off lucky in comparison! Still, it's hard to think of someone who isn't the main antagonist more deserving of that treatment; what a thrilling climax to yet another in a series of excellent fights, and the fight as a whole isn't even over yet. I have to say, the twist in the middle when it's revealed why long-range attacks didn't work is perhaps one of the most disgusting things this series has done in a sense of body horror since... well, since Babyface. It's just truly gross, but totally in keeping with his character and one of the more inventive uses of a Stand's abilities in conjunction with the natural knowledge of the opponent I've seen in a while. That said, as much fun as the fight was, that reveal in the final scene is one I should've seen coming but caught me completely off guard! That has me incredibly excited to see what he can offer before the grand finale, even in his condition. Golden Wind has really come into its own in the second half; I really hope it can stick the landing after such a long stretch of good episodes. There's still plenty to go (eight episodes left), but it's built up so much momentum that I hope it doesn't loose steam in the home stretch, especially now that I've come around on it so much after its somewhat paltry opening act.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Wall of shame is now back.

unknown.png

......oh no

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The last thing I really liked was Houseki no kuni. But i love Working!! and Monogatari with the teeth brushing.

Not really a fan of shounen even though I like MHA.

If you're looking for older stuff, have you tried Seitokai Yakuindomo?

Houseki no Kuni wasn't for me, but I can't help recommending Symphogear.

As for currently running things, Carol and Tuesday is great. Also Midnight Occult Civil Servants.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Gundam: Origin 4
Kasval is a cold-blooded murderer from a young age, that's for sure. A lot of deaths this ep. Funnily enough, the cat dying got me the hardest because I had my old cat sleeping next to me as I watched.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba is great if you like action shōnen stories. The animation, art, and music are top class, and I really like the characters. It also doesn't have Shield Hero's highly questionable content.
It's also got some good gags, even if they're a little rare among the action and drama.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba is great if you like action shōnen stories. The animation, art, and music are top class, and I really like the characters. It also doesn't have Shield Hero's highly questionable content.
Thank you kindly. Kimetsu it is!

Also Amazon Prime is kind of meh when it comes to their anime offering isn't it? Aside from Yu-Gi-Oh and Dororo nothing even rings a bell. I have no idea if anything on their service is worth checking out.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017

Also Amazon Prime is kind of meh when it comes to their anime offering isn't it? Aside from Yu-Gi-Oh and Dororo nothing even rings a bell. I have no idea if anything on their service is worth checking out.
Love is Hard for Otaku is a fun comedy/romance show on amazon if you are into that stuff

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017

grand blue dreaming and happy sugar life were pretty good

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

Haven't really kept up with what Amazon has these days, but I'm pretty sure they had Land of the Lustrous. Which was voted Era's top anime of 2017 and is well worth watching

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fate/Grand Order: First Order
Disappointing, even as a videogame intro. Only held up by its slightly promising ending that might be the jump off point for more interesting entries.
4/10

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Sarazanmai 07

Enta... why you gotta be like that man.

That said, as despicable as his actions were I can't really put it past him. There were little in the way of signs but at the same time there was little reason not to think otherwise either. There's several moments where they cut away from Enta's reaction to the mess and any other response seems natural though mostly as him playing it safe.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Demon Slayer Episode 8:

As it turns out, confronting the demon lord in a public place was a massively stupid but also beneficial idea.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Kenja no Mago 7

Yo, wtf is this show? It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it's...not what I expected at ALL. Thought it would be a boring harem and I'd check out by episode 3. But no, it's pretty much NOT a harem. Dude meets one girl, they fall in love, they're too shy to admit it to one another. The other girls are more concerned with finding jobs than him. Meanwhile, instead of him just being more powerful than everyone, he's teaching everyone to be like him??

Also, there's a LOT of fighting in this series. Way more than I would've expected. Like, every time I expect it to zig, it zags.

Oct 25, 2017
What to watch alongside Fate/Apo?: Shield Hero (couldn't make it through the first ep but willing to give it another chance if it gets better) or Demon Slayer: (Kimetsu no Yaiba)?
Kinetsu no yaibas pretty dull. Pass.

Instead watch RobiHachi, Ace of Diamond, AfterLost, Kono Oto Tamare Sounds of life, and Sarazanmai.

Your Amazon question. Watch
Dive!!
Battery!
Re:Creators
Beatless
GrandblueDreaming

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sarazanmai 7

You think at this point they would have figured out that their secrets get out. Boy needs to chill, jealousy just looks bad on you.

Also interesting to get background on the otter guys.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished all of "Flavors of Youth" after watching it little by little over the past few weeks.

It looked absolutely stunning (as expected) but aside from the last story, it was pretty boring overall. The third one felt the most Shinkai as well. Either way, I'm still hyped for his next movie and I think I'll rewatch Your Name in the meantime.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Bungo Stray Dogs 32

That was a quick turnaround for Fitzmoney. Love Asagiri's approach to handling antagonists where they don't just have one or two arcs and are disposed of after playing a central role. Looking forward to seeing what wrench the New Guild throws in this upcoming conflict with Dostoyevsky.

Also, this is a blatant Phoenix Wright reference

tumblr_ps150ho0sD1xyes22o1_500.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer 8

Nezuko sliding on the floor randomly during conversations is hilarious. Also what Kibutsuji did to that woman in the alleyway was shocking. Like damn dude, just kill her like you did the other two, no need to be so extra about it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Kenja no Mago 7

Yo, wtf is this show? It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it's...not what I expected at ALL. Thought it would be a boring harem and I'd check out by episode 3. But no, it's pretty much NOT a harem. Dude meets one girl, they fall in love, they're too shy to admit it to one another. The other girls are more concerned with finding jobs than him. Meanwhile, instead of him just being more powerful than everyone, he's teaching everyone to be like him??

Also, there's a LOT of fighting in this series. Way more than I would've expected. Like, every time I expect it to zig, it zags.
I was crazy surprised by this. I actually didn't jump in till 6 episodes had already aired cause it just looked so crazy generic "isekai" and it turns out to become one of my favorite shows to watch each week

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I signed up for Amazon Prime and was curious if you guys could recommend me any shows. I've seen a few already like, Love is Hard for an Otaku, Inuyashiki, Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss and maybe a few more.

Am I missing anything that I should check out? Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu No Yaiba 08

Give me an entire series about Nezuko doing random silly shit in the background please

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Hulaing Babies 1-12

This is the most aesthetically pleasing thing I've seen all year. It's like the comedic pacing of Teekyuu translated into making fun and interesting animation. Loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
Crunchyroll continues to be awful, watching fairytail took double the time cause of buffering/loading issues. Depressing, maybe they could divery resources from running BestBoyEN to fixing their services.

It just tells us what we already know

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I signed up for Amazon Prime and was curious if you guys could recommend me any shows. I've seen a few already like, Love is Hard for an Otaku, Inuyashiki, Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss and maybe a few more.

Am I missing anything that I should check out? Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks
Girls' Last Tour is pretty good. And the first half of Dororo is pretty good; second half, not so much?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
haven't seen the Tachikoma in stand alone complex since they got sent to a lab to be reset, did they get poochy'd or are they coming back?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord S2 3-5

I guess everything ended up okay for the Lizard Men? Could have all been murdered instead lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord S2 6-8

Sebas feels more interesting than all the other servants. Him not focusing just on pleasing Ains is great. Pretty much all the servants are kind of one note personalities so it's nice for something slightly different.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast

Killing Bites, if only its to see what killing bites really means.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 17

Wow, Elena got thrown under the bus again. The Madoka/Mao episode gave Madoka some extra development and made her look extra cool. Elena technically got a bit of focus, but it was so underwhelming that I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't her pen this episode. Fun to see the Cures part-time as phantom thieves, though to keep it kid-friendly their victim is a consenting rich asshole. The things rich assholes do for entertainment. Madoka looked like she wanted the chance to become a thief. Of course since they can't make Blue Cat too bad a person she's giving away her stolen riches to the needy aside from Planet Rainbow gear that she clearly has some connection to. Kappard remains best villain. Blue Cat continues to plot while the Cures now have the backing of said rich asshole, so that might come in handy. Also they got some free space weapons and armor. Hopefully those appear again.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Mmh that 'Revisions' show is out on Netflix (but maybe it already was and I just missed it?). Will give it a try, not really expecting much from the one trailer I saw though.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 17

I'm actually totally okay with how every Elena episode seems to be another character's episode in disguise. They clearly don't have anything in mind for her character, so at least they're not wasting time on empty fluff with her every four weeks. They let other Cures (or more often, Plonk) steal the spotlight in Elena's episodes, and while that might suck for someone who's a particular fan of Elena, I think it's better for the show as a whole. The other cast members -- mostly Madoka, Lala, and Plonk, not so much Hikaru, though she did have some good moments this episode -- carry her weight easily, so there's never a bad episode no matter who gets the trinket of the week.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Bungou Stray Dogs 32
First ep that I'm not that hot about. Both in that the proceedings weren't very interesting and bringing back Fitzgerald doesn't really tickle my fancy. (Why isn't anybody arresting him anyhow.)

Kimetsu no Yaiba 07-08
After the dreary beginnings this seems to have mostly settled itself into what I hoped it would be, a generally watchable romp uplifted by production values. That said the comedy seems to clash badly with the fairly brutal&morose happenings and I'd say the coming fight is a big test on whether there's some meat in how the fights are and will be written.

Status
Not open for further replies.