• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Digimon Adventure tri 1-5 (all of Reunion and the first episode of Determination)

Finally getting around to this. Loved Adventure (best isekai!). 02 was hit or miss, but I don't regret watching it.

Reunion was not more disappointing than The Phantom Menace. Although maybe if I had watched Adventure and 02 as a kid instead of being the Pokemon fanboy that I was and had been waiting for a sequel for many years I would hate this. The drama between Tai and Matt is so forced. It feels like fanfiction. Tai and Matt arguing in the original was iconic so they need to argue here too lmao. Tai's dilemma is so stupid. It's the kind of thing I expect out of The Walking Dead. But at least the fights were cool.

They did the 02 kids dirty. No one cares that they are missing. Instead a new girl is added and they made her a waifu.

Episode 5 and we already have a hot springs episode. At least it's the girls that end up in an awkward situation instead of the guys

This show is really weird so far.

Yeah the whole thing was just one big misfire. Nostalgia can not pull a poor script. It's a shame really, considering how nuanced the characters were in Adventure, that they end up feeling hollow and plot propelled in this show. Worst of it all is how pointless it all feels in the end. So so sad.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole thing was just one big misfire. Nostalgia can not pull a poor script. It's a shame really, considering how nuanced the characters were in Adventure, that they end up feeling hollow and plot propelled in this show. Worst of it all is how pointless it all feels in the end. So so sad.
And we still got one more movie coming...at least Digimon Tamers will never be tainted since Toei has forgotten it exists.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1e08c925d8dae697d4931ac78e77bc198cdb6eec_hq.gif

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 18

I wish I had something witty to say this week, but alas, it was a Hikaru episode. It wasn't bad or anything, just... Nothing significant? At least it had good lessons for the kids at home: don't be ashamed of the things you like, and don't do things just because they're popular. Sound advice.
If there was one moment that stood out, I guess it would be that Lala's sticking to her guns re: the lesson she learned in the school episode. It's nice that they didn't forget it.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 18

I think Yayoi has a new family she wants to be adopted to. Creative authors are stifled all the time being forced to make a corporate hit based on what their demographics like, as Hikaru's mom found out. It's a good episode for her honestly as she strives to make a good manga in a genre she's no good in. But of course that doesn't work, and it's all that stupid editor's fault. I say fire him. Hikaru herself was sweet this time, but this episode was more about her mom than herself, which gives her some of Elena's problem of not enough development. But this was still better at least. And it looks like her dad isn't a deadbeat, but just traveling for work. And here I was hoping for an "I am your father" moment. But next time, it looks like that theory is coming true.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kadokawa has now established a "At Least One Isekai Anime per season" policy

The slide wrote that this policy was established following their huge success with Re:Zero and Konosuba, and they expect that to raise their profits across their anime and publishing businesses.
The same slide also mentioned that anime business profits rose compared with last season thanks to licensing income from North America for Shield Hero and Wise Man's Grandchild.

6e7a416f4dc691957bed79f6f284d513-500x375.jpg

Not that this wasn't obvious before considering that in every season there's at least one from them (which makes sense, as they have 70% of the LN market, where Isekai mainly comes after being picked as web novels) but now it's official. I just hope that some of the best Isekai LN from them are adapted, even more the ones with female MC which are some of my favorites.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

The slide wrote that this policy was established following their huge success with Re:Zero and Konosuba, and they expect that to raise their profits across their anime and publishing businesses.
The same slide also mentioned that anime business profits rose compared with last season thanks to licensing income from North America for Shield Hero and Wise Man's Grandchild.

Not that this wasn't obvious before considering that in every season there's at least one from them (which makes sense, as they have 70% of the LN market, where Isekai mainly comes after being picked as web novels) but now it's official. I just hope that some of the best Isekai LN from them are adapted, even more the ones with female MC which are some of my favorites.
here's hoping they revisit some older ones such as Devil is a Part Timer and No Game No Life which are both owned by one of their subsidiaries.

Though I would also love to see more with female MC and less harem type ones.

which reminds me hopefully Tanya the Evil gets a second season confirmed when the movie gets a home video release :P

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This industry truly was a mistake after all.

In all seriousness, I'm happy for the people who eat these kind of stories up. Hopefully we get more shows of Re:Zero and Konosuba's quality and less like "In Another World with My Smartphone" and that Ragnarok show.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
here's hoping they revisit some older ones such as Devil is a Part Timer and No Game No Life which are both owned by one of their subsidiaries.

Though I would also love to see more with female MC and less harem type ones.

which reminds me hopefully Tanya the Evil gets a second season confirmed when the movie gets a home video release :P

Not subsidiaries in that case, those 8 are pretty much Kadokawa to this day as those are just brand companies so.. just brands of Kadokawa with different editorials.

And yeah, I want more Isekai female MC, but many I like aren't from them but from Shogakukan, SB Creative and others in their imprints like Killing Slimes and other ones.

But as far as Isekai LN with female mc, 5 of them got anime adaptation announced since 2017 but they still need to debut. Those are the ones, with the cover of their LN below:

Ascendance of a Bookworm published by TO Books in the TO Bunko Imprint
220px-Ascendance_of_a_Bookworm_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! published by Earth Star Entertainment in their Earth Star Novel imprint
220px-Didn%27t_I_Say_to_Make_My_Abilities_Average_in_the_Next_Life%3F%21_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bōgyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu published by Kadokawa Shoten (Kadokawa) in their Kadokawa Books imprint
220px-Itai_no_wa_Iya_nano_de_B%C5%8Dgyoryoku_ni_Kyokufuri_Shitai_to_Omoimasu._light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! published by Ichijinsha in their Ichijinsha Bunko Iris imprint
220px-My_Next_Life_as_a_Villainess%2C_All_Routes_Lead_to_Doom%21_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

So I'm a Spider, So what? published by Kadokawa Shoten (Kadokawa) on their Kadokawa Books imprint
220px-So_I%27m_a_Spider%2C_So_What%3F%2C_volume_1.jpg

Between those five, 4 are reincarnation and one is a VRMMORPG. Aside from that, the imprints they're on are on male demography with the exception of Villainess which is on a female imprint. And of course, all of those much like the other modern Isekai on late 2000s originally began as web novels before being acquired by their publishers and published as LN with editors, illustrators and what not.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Wrong thread lol

Although while I'm here, I liked this week's KnY. Really looking forward to 🐽 and ⚡️ in the next two weeks.

Also, really impatient to see how far they go in tomorrow's Attack on Titan.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Honestly if this is there plan going forward then I hope that they adapt some of the zanier shit out there, like the one where the guy gets Reincarnated as a vending machine, and not a vending machine that can transform into a bishounen like in Reincarnated as a Slime, just a straight up vending machine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if this is there plan going forward then I hope that they adapt some of the zapier shit out there, like the one where the guy gets Reincarnated as a vending machine, and not a vending machine that can transform into a bishounen like in Reincarnated as a Slime, just a straight up vending machine.

I don't even think it's a plan going forward considering that this pretty much already happens haha But yes, I would love to see this story of the vending machine because from what I could get, it's a great comedy/SOL lol

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Samurai Champloo 2
As I expected, this second episode isn't as strong as the first. Still, it's nice to get more of an idea who these characters are.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
20th Century Electricity Catalog (new Kyoani adaptation) coming soon?

OK, anybody know who did the music on this? It reminds me of some of Yuzo Koshiro's more pensive bits from Etrian Odyssey, and also maybe Joe Hisaishi. I'd always associated the latter with Ghibli, but apparently he does far more than that (including the upcoming Children of the Sea).

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Digimon Adventure tri 6-8 (the rest of Determination)

So we went from hot springs to school festival. So far a lot of the show feels like it belongs in some other average anime instead of the continuation of Digimon Adventure. I wouldn't even mind a more SOL Digimon show...but why do this to Adventure? It's not what people were looking forward to.

The battles continue to be hype af at least. The Imperialdramon fight was so good. But now we got the question. Why did everyone forget about Ken until now? He was one of the crew by the end of 02.

Also lmao at Leomon tradition.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai 09

D8EKM8XXsAE8_fU.jpg

Talk about a lucky boy and he learned how to measure a woman's bust size. I can't imagine any lady being ok with someone in a mascot suit sizing them up though. Fumino's face when she realized Yuiga was in the suit was priceless.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 09

First thought, the demons' powers are both stupid. Second thought, stupid powers used creatively is fucking awesome.

Hitoribocchi 9

I sort of like that this girl absolutely refuses to be friends with our MC.

Oct 25, 2017
Something about We Never Learn always has me rolling in laughter more than the manga, think it is definitely anime Yuiga and his voice is just so different than what I got from the manga.

Also yeah did have to turn my brain off with them assuming the mascot person is a fem worker, and also letting a mascot be in their help them like it did this episode.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 59

With Love Me Tear's arrival, all relevant idols are in Solvette. A full episode of Mirai asserting superiority to an entire country. I'm game. The mad genius and true overlord of Aikatsu is the first one to break through to Alicia just a bit and force everyone to acknowledge she's a killjoy. Semantics are powerful. Obviously she has a Jewling Dress, though I was hoping we'd see her and Karen actually earn them. Would help humanize them.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Durarara 1-25

I love how well realized this show ended up being. Fleshed out and incredibly interesting characters. A beautiful first 12 episodes with a non-linear narrative that builds characters and intrigue. I thought the second half was fine and satisfying. I know people have reservations of x2, I'll report back on it when I'm done! Greatly recommend this first 25 episodes to anyone.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well, got the 30 day of Crunchyroll from twitch prime, so might as well catch up on the spring season. Bungo Stray Dogs is a must watch, but what's the word on Sarazanmai and Carole & Tuesday? Might look into either of those or maybe Demon Slayer.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just figured a new LN promo + not a lot of upcoming projects for KyoAni meant the adaptation might be coming sooner rather than later

The anime adaptation was announced almost a year ago at this point. I'd expect it sometime in 2020 - if it were to air this fall, I'd have expected some announcement to that effect would have already been made so promotion can happen. The Violet Evergarden movie is coming out in January, so maybe Electricity Catalog in spring or summer 2020?

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
The anime adaptation was announced almost a year ago at this point. I'd expect it sometime in 2020 - if it were to air this fall, I'd have expected some announcement to that effect would have already been made so promotion can happen. The Violet Evergarden movie is coming out in January, so maybe Electricity Catalog in spring or summer 2020?

Tsurune's airdate wasn't announced yet at this point last year, was it?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Not subsidiaries in that case, those 8 are pretty much Kadokawa to this day as those are just brand companies so.. just brands of Kadokawa with different editorials.

And yeah, I want more Isekai female MC, but many I like aren't from them but from Shogakukan, SB Creative and others in their imprints like Killing Slimes and other ones.

But as far as Isekai LN with female mc, 5 of them got anime adaptation announced since 2017 but they still need to debut. Those are the ones, with the cover of their LN below:

Ascendance of a Bookworm published by TO Books in the TO Bunko Imprint
220px-Ascendance_of_a_Bookworm_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! published by Earth Star Entertainment in their Earth Star Novel imprint
220px-Didn%27t_I_Say_to_Make_My_Abilities_Average_in_the_Next_Life%3F%21_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bōgyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu published by Kadokawa Shoten (Kadokawa) in their Kadokawa Books imprint
220px-Itai_no_wa_Iya_nano_de_B%C5%8Dgyoryoku_ni_Kyokufuri_Shitai_to_Omoimasu._light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! published by Ichijinsha in their Ichijinsha Bunko Iris imprint
220px-My_Next_Life_as_a_Villainess%2C_All_Routes_Lead_to_Doom%21_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

So I'm a Spider, So what? published by Kadokawa Shoten (Kadokawa) on their Kadokawa Books imprint
220px-So_I%27m_a_Spider%2C_So_What%3F%2C_volume_1.jpg

Between those five, 4 are reincarnation and one is a VRMMORPG. Aside from that, the imprints they're on are on male demography with the exception of Villainess which is on a female imprint. And of course, all of those much like the other modern Isekai on late 2000s originally began as web novels before being acquired by their publishers and published as LN with editors, illustrators and what not.
Shield Girl and Bakarina are both really good at least. Spider is fun up until the plot actually starts to happen.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
Demons combining their unique abilities to create a new, even more deadly one is a fascinating concept, and one I'm disappointing in myself for not expecting. I don't like the design of her extra arms. The way they line up really isn't pleasing to look at (a good thing?) and I especially don't like the way that her... bra? Shirt? Isn't damaged at all by having 4 arms burst through it's sides. A mild complaint, but it did bug me.
Looking forward to this fight's conclusion Saturday.
Last episode: This dial goes to 11.
This episode: But does it go to 12?
Enta getting shot in Kazuki's place was easily predictable, but I think they still sold the shot (Ha HA!) The preview of the next episode is exciting. I hope Kazuki's retaliation isn't too crazy.
Also, Sara is the best.

Bonus:
I decided to get back into manga recently, and ordered a few volumes:
-The Ancient Magus' Bride Vol. 1*
-Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol. 1* 👀
-Fire Force Vol. 1 (Loved Soul Eater, so I'm excited to see where this goes.)
-Golden Kamuy Vol. 1*
-Land of the Lustrous Vol. 1*
Nekogahara is an odd spectacle for me. I looked into this because it's aesthetic similarities to Usagi Yojimbo drew me in, but it's very different. But also the same in many, strange ways! The art can be a little too detailed at times, making me wonder where exactly my eyes are supposed to be, but it's detail is still nice.
I like where this is going so far, and I look forward to the adventures of Furry Sugimoto in volume 2, whenever I get around to ordering it.

On a side note, I genuinely expected the girl from the first chapter to play more of a role.
-The Promised Neverland Vol.1*
I've already watched the anime for these, so I'll be treading old ground until I've caught up to their last episode equivalents.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, is it already airing?

no still in PV phase

will be curious about it, the pacing of the anime was quite a bit slower than I wanted even though there were three chapters an episode. If crunchy offered the option I would turn off subs and do listening practice... (I can't believe crunchy doesn't offer the option)

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Finished Domestic Girlfirend. Boi, that sure was spicy lol

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 - 18

That weird titan is sure quite the ninja lol.. Cant imagine what was going on in Levi's head the whole time. He made the right decision, hopefully.

Oct 25, 2017
no still in PV phase

will be curious about it, the pacing of the anime was quite a bit slower than I wanted even though there were three chapters an episode. If crunchy offered the option I would turn off subs and do listening practice... (I can't believe crunchy doesn't offer the option)

I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll does? Or at least did at one time. Their site is down right now so I can't double-check, but I believe if you right-click a video it'll offer a choice of subtitles in different languages or no subtitles.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I think on the PC interface, not sure about the app though (i watch most stuff through the chromecast). I guess I'll take it wherever though.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you know what maybe what I am thinking of is japanese subtitles which i think crunchy didn't bother licencing for obvious reasons. Hmm, maybe netflix has the options...

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
no still in PV phase

Hope it returns soon, loved the Mc constantly being tortured.

Status
Not open for further replies.