• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Funi has also licensed Hensuki, a Cinderella story with panties...or something.
giphy.gif

...If it's about fitting the right Cinderella with panty, then I don't know what I expected.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Summer Watching List.
(RSM) = Read Source Martial

Will Watch
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. (RSM): Read it actually as a safety net precaution before adding it to Summer OT's Highlights, it's very Okada feeling so expect the usual drama and Teenagers dealing with their ever changing hormones. Can't really place it under a single prior Okada series as for what it feels quite like.

Dr. Stone (RSM): Fun adventure series with flaws here and there.

Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? (RSM): Fanservice, Manservice and actual somewhat decent fitness advice. Fun fact, it's part of the same universe as Kengan Ashura which is getting an adaption on Netflix this summer as well.

Enen no Shouboutai (RSM): I don't like the manga its pretty generic and not particularly good, but for whatever reason this mangaka's works get visually great adaptions so I'm in just for the fire effects.

Given (RSM): Like Araburu, this was another manga I read as a safety net before thinking of adding it to the Highlights due to the extremely high rate of Shounen Ai/BL anime adaption choices being full of rape/sexual assault treated off as normal. I can say happily that this has avoided that horrible troupe, and the one time it was about to go down the route it was able to swerve away and condemn the concept of that. It's an interesting BL/Shounen Ai manga that focuses on the music, drama(with romance being pushed here) and sometimes slice of life elements of the characters.

Granbelm: Magical girls and Mechas I'm in.

Kanata no Astra (RSM): A change of a pace from Sket Dance's mangaka, going from that into a space mystery show that feels very reminiscent of
They Were Eleven
in various aspects.

Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? (RSM): Because sometimes trash transcends its limits....

Kengan Ashura (RSM): Oh this is going to be a horrible adaption, a normal anime would have trouble adapting the quality of the art from the manga let alone the PS2-like CG models they've used for this adaption. I'm watching this because I must suffer.

Machikado Mazoku: Seems like a nice slice-of-life comedy type show that I feel I'll need this season.

Vineland Saga (RSM): Hopefully Wit will be able to pull off the action in this series.

Might Watch
Cop Craft
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II
Joshikousei no Mudazukai (RSM): Not sure if I'll be in the mood for this type of comedy and I feel like the adaption will not get the comedy timing down right.
Lord El-Melloi II-sei no Jikenbo: "Rail Zeppelin" Grace note
Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki desu ka? (RSM): Third and final safety net read, I don't think it will go incest....please don't.

Read Source Material Not Watching Ever
Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou: Positives (of what I remember/read) doesn't try to rationalize/make slavery sound acceptable.Negatives, still part of the ever growing pile of isekai stories that follow the same exact story and set pieces with slight tweeks of isekai LN's that are being published in the dozens each year.

Uchi no Ko no Tame naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru kamo Shirenai.: Wasn't too into to it while reading it, then the comfirmation that it pulls the ever feared Usagi Drop made me drop this series and never go anywhere near it again.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the Hensuki announcement:

Ok, it's just anime comedy, I'm totally coo--

Once upon a time, Cinderella left her panties in a boy's locker…wait, what?! Keiki Kiryu receives a mysterious love letter, that has no name, but includes a pair of white undies. Curious to find this panty-leaving-Cinderella, his investigation leads him to discover that every candidate is…a total pervert! Surrounded by perversion he still has one important question to answer: who's the perfect fit?

giphy.gif

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Kakegurui XX 9-12

That was a weird ending point for the season.

Overall the season was good, but not as strong as the first season. The new characters were not as interesting as the student council in S1.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
GoGo Episode 34:

This arc in which Jojo decides to use a plotline from the realm of hacky family movies to honestly not a great effect this episode.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo Golden Wind 34

You know that changing the opening bit doesn't always work, especially if the character isn't even in this episode. Nothing will beat the Part 4 version.

Also "HE WILL BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE WORLD"

"But we only switched bodies why woul-"

"SHUT UP AND BELIEVE ME"

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Furuba 11
Don't think I didn't notice Tohru and Kyo both catching feelings. Yuki, I love you, but you flirting with Tohru always makes me feel weird, I don't know why.

Akito next week!

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the Hensuki announcement:

The material sounds like complete garbage, but seeing that the director of this anime is the eccentric creative Itsuki Imazaki, known for Ai Mai Mi and random other much better than they should be appearances on shorts, I am a little curious to see if any neat visual stuff will come out of this.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
What I can tell you as someone who is reading the manga, it is utter trash that wallows in it's filth in such a way that all the over the top ecchi elements that will 95% of the time would turn me off on a manga are somehow enjoyable. Its a manga that knows what it is and embraces it without any shame.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Me thinking about how people will react to the second half of the Fruits Basket anime:

giphy.gif

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
GioGio 34
download.png

Not really feeling Polnareff's return here. His return here seems oddly mean spirited, with him surviving Part 3 only to end up being blown the fuck out by another stand user with time powers, one that he only has a quasi connection to. (As much as he ended up being the joke in Part 3, he was kinda the heart of the group there.) He's more or less just here to give the gang the 411 on the stand arrow.

Him being turned into a turtle the level of frivolity I generally expect from this series however.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Could some kind, Jojo watching soul tell me which episodes had King Crimson in it ? From his introduction through whatever fights he's been in, until now ?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finished up Zombie Land Saga last night with my girlfriend. Overall I enjoyed the series but the staff suck at dramatic storytelling which made the last two episodes feel very contrived and unearned. It instantly reminded me of the end of K-On! S1. Also none of the 3DCG dance sequences were good, even the finale's.

The end strongly hinted at a second season but I hope there is a new creative team and a budget for 2D dance sequences.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Finished up Zombie Land Saga last night with my girlfriend. Overall I enjoyed the series but the staff suck at dramatic storytelling which made the last two episodes feel very contrived and unearned. It instantly reminded me of the end of K-On! S1. Also none of the 3DCG dance sequences were good, even the finale's.

Kotaro is by far the best part of that show. Man is painfully funny. I love the OP as well.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Sarazanmai 10

I really like how the 'love vs desire' theme manifested in this episode. It's no longer so materialistic(fish, noodles, balls etc) but it's something more intimate and part of a relationship but definitely not driven solely by it. Mabu and Reo's drama is tragic in the sense that Mabu was destined to fail with the condition given to him, Reo couldn't accept him as he was without knowing the truth and knowing the truth meant the end of his pretense, therefore his connection. I wish the whole reasoning behind it was more elegant but it makes sense since Otters want the desire itself, not the connection which results in Love.

I do not fully understand what Harukappa talks about her dream and that the big circle breaks as a result. The big circle obviously means connections here but how exactly does the question correlate to the situation at hand?

The Rose of Versailles 26

Can't have a bad feeling without a crow giving you a sign.

They obviously give a lot of hints into making us think it is Andre and they really did get me thinking it was him until it wasn't. The question of a good response to economic injustice in society is subtly answered with Andre educating himself on its nature, preparing for the inevitable new age for Oscar's sake and The Black Knight, as much good as he does with little harm, a thief is a thief. That is Black Knight's choice. I now see the narrative turning over in favour of the people.

The material sounds like complete garbage, but seeing that the director of this anime is the eccentric creative Itsuki Imazaki, known for Ai Mai Mi and random other much better than they should be appearances on shorts, I am a little curious to see if any neat visual stuff will come out of this.
LOL I know this isn't anything new for anime but I had to remind myself that this is normal just to see talented directors in action (though not all the time).

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Kotaro is by far the best part of that show. Man is painfully funny. I love the OP as well.
I do appreciate that unlike some other idol shows with producers, he isn't a surrogate for the men in the audience. His character does get some of the best comedy and a nice touch of depth.

The OP is pretty good, just need a clean version of it to appreciate the battle sequence.

The other night I realized that I sort of predicted a show like this many years ago. Back when 3DCG dancing was entering anime and monster girl shows were on the rise, I said there would be a monster girl idol anime with 3DCG dancing. 😆 Of course that was back on the old site when Hitokage(rest in piece) was still with us. 😔

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know why. Something about a crypto-currency that didn't take off?
Honestly most of the excuses like "Anitubers aren't industry experts" that are parroted around here come off as irrelevant bullshit and honestly the whole thing stinks of the same type of petty jealousy that permeates discussions of all sorts of youtuber discussion around this forum

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't know why. Something about a crypto-currency that didn't take off?
Man, I'm glad I already did the heavy lifting by making this exact post last fall. So here's the reason I don't endorse a lot of the biggest Anituber channels.
Oh boy, here we go. So, a little over a year ago, Anituber "The Anime Man" posted this video asking both his fans to fill out and share a poll he had created in conjunction with a company called the Flying Colors Foundation with the aim of giving international anime fans a voice to the kinds of shows they favored (in comparison to similar polls that focused only on the domestic audience in Japan).

Thing is, this poll wasn't simply a survey of the tastes of the international anime community. The poll also included questions about the participants themselves, including a number of... pertinent questions about the user's mental health. The stated goal of the poll according to The Anime Man in this video was to compile data from around the globe for a non-profit company called the Flying Colors Foundation, who would parse the data and present it to production committees so they had a better idea of international tastes. That didn't happen, though.

Despite being pushed in various means by a number of different Anitubers like Mother's Basement, Gigguk, and Digibro (who admitted being paid for a consultation after making a video shilling for the non-profit), shortly after the poll was closed, the Flying Colors Foundation started to go dark. Their Internet presence practically disappeared.

After some digging by press through legal documentation regarding the company's creation, it was revealed that the software used for the poll had violated HIPPA regulation regarding privacy for collecting personal medical information. The software used in the poll also tracked and retained the IP addresses of people who filled out the poll without any prior consent to do so.

And once this was revealed, did any of the Anitubers involved in shilling FCF apologize for being involved with a company that took and tracked sensitive data of the people who filled out that poll? Of course they didn't. The whole affair has been buried as much as possible, and those involved have simply done their best to ignore any fallout hoping any controversy would go away. And lucky them, it did.

This is why I don't watch the Anitubers I mentioned. Because anyone who looks at this, especially after taking money from that company, and turns a blind eye at the expense of their audience, does not deserve views in my book.
The crypto-currency controversy you mentioned also happened around this same time involving Tokyo Otaku Mode's ill-fated "Otaku Coin" (sponsored by Palmer Lucky) which was launched with the help of Anituber "akidearest," who is the partner of The Anime Man, I believe, and to a lesser extent Kizuna AI. The original pitch was that paying for products with Otaku Coin would help generate revenue that would help various programs supporting animators stuggling to get by in Japan, with TOM getting a small (read: 40%) cut for "operating costs." If you actually want to get a better impression of why people thought this was a scam, Alicia Haddick wrote an extensive blog post about her concerns that will be better than any summary I can post here.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Anitubers who've promoted stuff like the FCF and Otaku Coin and when called out for their involvement have neither apologized or acknowledged any grievances by fans. It exposes them as the greedy, shallow corporate shills the average person thinks the majority of YouTubers are anyway, without any kind of moral scrupals you expect from someone in a media position should have. We should demand better, but as long as no one brings things like this up, people will just watch their funny videos and think those that don't are just snooty.

It's not jealousy: we have standards for the people who claim to represent us, and the folks in this post do not live up to those so we don't feature them here. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.