• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Been marathoning Revolutionary Girl Utena and the Black Rose Saga arc is such a drag. Just finished episode 21, which was really weak, and it feels like Ikuhara and his team didn't know what to do and just reused episode structures and ideas from Sailor Moon. The first episode of the arc had me intrigued in how the format of the show would change but I've been unimpressed. Only one or two of the duels so far have been all that creative, and like a Sailor Moon fight they end just as they are beginning.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Been marathoning Revolutionary Girl Utena and the Black Rose Saga arc is such a drag. Just finished episode 21, which was really weak, and it feels like Ikuhara and his team didn't know what to do and just reused episode structures and ideas from Sailor Moon. The first episode of the arc had me intrigued in how the format of the show would change but I've been unimpressed. Only one or two of the duels so far have been all that creative, and like a Sailor Moon fight they end just as they are beginning.
Aww that's a shame. Black Rose arc is my favourite.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I finished season 2 of date a live and watched the ova at the end expecting it to be a pointless filler like most ovas are but I have to say this is probably the best ova episode I've seen from any anime. It's better than any of the main episodes of the show and now I know why kurumi is such a popular waifu.

69489l.jpg

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So I finished season 2 of date a live and watched the ova at the end expecting it to be a pointless filler like most ovas are but I have to say this is probably the best ova episode I've seen from any anime. It's better than any of the main episodes of the show and now I know why kurumi is such a popular waifu.

69489l.jpg
Kurumi was the first fig I ever bought, she's the best

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Aww that's a shame. Black Rose arc is my favourite.
same, i really enjoyed the arc - but i can also see how it might seem repetitive to some people
On paper it isn't so bad but yeesh the execution left a lot to be desired. Sure, the first arc was formulaic in its ways, but as I said this arc straight up felt like Sailor Moon in terms of the villain, his methods, and the very repetitive and predictable story structure (for the most part). I like the attempt at giving some side and new characters depth while continuing stories/arcs for the student council members. What bothers me the most is the arc ends with an Ikuhara mindscrew that made me question what was even the fucking point. Then there is the fact that Utena and Anthy feel like secondary characters during all this, as well as them and the student council doing jack shit about the problem until the very end when it didn't even matter. The recap episode felt extremely out of place, which made the arc feel even more superfluous. The previous arc had a more meaningful recap.

The duels feeling like rushed magical girl battles, complete with stock footage finisher, also really killed it for me. Only two of them were worthwhile with any real weight to them.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Brother !

I don't even remember what my beef with it was other than Utena turning into a mindless drone but I do distinctly recall bloody hating it !

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Started watching the remake of Fruits Basket (1-5). Already like the whole cast and very relaxing show. Kaguras entrance was gold lmao Finished A Place Fruther Than The Unisverse. Yeah that anime is a masterpiece. Ep12 broke me so hard im still recovering from that. The potrayal of friendship in this show really makes you think and reflect on your life.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

69489l.jpg

Kurumi is the best

The show get's so much more interesting anytime she's there lol

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
iirc, the meat and potatoes of the arc happens over the next couple episodes and are some of the most important episodes of the entire series. And the series really kicks into high gear from there.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Stray Dogs 36
Lmao at Atsushi entering the hideout at the speed of light and then being unable to catch up to their target as he slowly ran away.

Have to wait to see how it plays out but I've been somewhat underwhelmed with the second half of the season despite the compelling premise for the big arc. Kind of feels like we are general beats in a less interesting way, and Fyodor as essentially evil Dazai hasn't brought much to the table to me. Hopefully the last episode will change my tune a bit.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So the new Netflix Evangelion dub came out and there is a bit of controversy regarding how a certain part was translated

Happy Pride from Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Flying Witch right now. It's cute, if a little uneventful (which is saying something considering I love healing animes lmao). Might check out Evangelion on Netflix since I still have never seen it yet

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
So it looks like we're getting updated designs for Haikyuu season 4. They look closer to the manga designs, which I prefer, so yay.

Hinata hair's bright as fuck tho, damn. Maybe it's just the scans. Now give us an actual key visual or PV you cowards!

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't expect jack shit from Netflix's anime offerings. Doesn't surprise me at all Eva has all the same issues it usually does (sub timing, not translating on screen text)

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched nothing from Spring, but looks like most of the season is over right? What were the standout shows?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I watched nothing from Spring, but looks like most of the season is over right? What were the standout shows?
Welllll

If you like baseball, slideshows, a sort of obnoxious protagonist and feel like watching the 126 episodes from the first act, then Ace of Diamond Act II is exactly what you're looking for! Training, eating, playing, arguing, drama, motivation, oh my! And so much more!

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
  1. I have been really enjoying Mix but I am a Adachi fan so I'm pre-disposed to like it. I think it's the first time I've actually seen one of his manga turned into a show though and it totally nails it.. but honestly, if you've read anything from him, you've read everything from him. :P
  2. Demon Slayer has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a TV series -- I think it's definitely worth watching.
  3. Fruits Basket is lovely and I'm so happy to revisit it after all these years.
  4. Wise Man's Grandchild is not especially good but I'd say in general I've enjoyed it. The animation is generally horrible though -- the budget for this show must be next to nothing.
  5. I have thoroughly enjoyed Dororo as well.

Speaking of new shows.. I see one on Netflix called Revisions. It apparently aired in the Spring as well -- anyone have any thoughts on it?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Welllll

If you like baseball, slideshows, a sort of obnoxious protagonist and feel like watching the 126 episodes from the first act, then Ace of Diamond Act II is exactly what you're looking for! Training, eating, playing, arguing, drama, motivation, oh my! And so much more!
As someone who has forgotten most of the first 126 episodes... you really don't need to know them that badly to watch the current season lol.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - Detonation

So my copy of this movie finally came in this morning and I was finally able to watch the second half of the two-part Nanoha revival movies that started with Reflection in 2017.

And I got what I wanted. This was basically Nanoha in its purest, most beautiful form, barring a few niggles.

Right from the start the movie wastes no time and picks up right where Reflection left off, delivering sakuga moment after sakuga moment. There's so many fantastic animation sequences in this film I don't even know where to begin in making webms of them.

Detonation is probably the darkest and bloodiest Nanoha's ever been. Though that's not really saying much. It's about as dark and bloody as the average dark Symphogear episode, but for Nanoha standards it was quite a sight to behold.

Iris and Yuri were both fantastic characters with a very compelling story, but this unfortunately leads to the movie's biggest problem for me, in that the villain is terrible. I hate to bring up Symphogear again, but imagine a villain from that franchise but with zero charisma and with motivations that make even less sense.

Seriously, the government shuts down his planet restoring committee, so he decides that the logical thing to do was take his super AI and murder everyone in said committee. It's not even clear why he's doing it or what is goals were. I think he mentions something about using his super AI on the planet everyone's immigrating to and using it to take it over I guess? It's not explained very well and it mostly just comes off as an excuse to redeem Iris and Yuri and have a good Nanoha laser battle. Which was fantastic and I don't mind.

There was also less screen time of Nanoha herself that I would have liked. Although everybody (except Arf) gets their time to shine in this movie, I do wish there was a little bit more of a focus on Nanoha's character in all this. There's a beautiful moment near the end with her that's perfect, but I would have loved it if it was fleshed out a bit more. There should have been some more scenes that involved Nanoha pushing herself too far, or others being concerned about her, and how she's focusing too much on others and not enough on herself. Again, that's stuff there, but I would have liked it if there was a bit more.

All in all though, glaring problem with the villain aside, I still loved this movie and think it's 100% up there with Nanoha's best, and I certainly hope we get more Nanoha in the future. Personally, I hope we get a nice slice-of-life TV series about Nanoha's high school years, which is another central element of the franchise that the movies just can't portray enough of.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't expect jack shit from Netflix's anime offerings. Doesn't surprise me at all Eva has all the same issues it usually does (sub timing, not translating on screen text)
Yep, Netflix is dog shit even with Western produced animation. My girlfriend likes watching everything with subtitles and even a Netflix original series like She-Ra has subs that don't even match the spoken dialogue at times.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
how are the animes for Parasyte and Akame Ga Kill?

I had fucking better get a second season of Hitoribocchi.
i don't know how much of the manga was adapted but there's only 4 volumes and it started in 2013 so it'll probably be unlikely for a while if they adapted most of the stufff

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
how are the animes for Parasyte and Akame Ga Kill?

i don't know how much of the manga was adapted but there's only 4 volumes and it started in 2013 so it'll probably be unlikely for a while if they adapted most of the stufff
Parasyte is from what I can tell a solid adaption of the source material. I know they made some changes, but from what I saw most of those changes were to just make it feel a bit more modern given how much later the anime came compared to the manga.

Akame Ga kill is an alright adaption of the source material. Not true to it, but roughly the same mediocre try hard edgy quality of the manga :P

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
GioGio 35

Narancia: I'm going to go back to school!

*the Monty Python foot immediately squishes him*

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-6

Finally get to watch this! Funny thing is that despite how legendary this show is, I didn't know what the story is about. All I knew is that it has teens piloting giant robots and they go through psychological trauma. People keep posting spoilers, but without context I just forgot them. Now that I'm actually watching this, I'll have to really avoid spoilers now.

Anyway, it's great so far.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-6

Finally get to watch this! Funny thing is that despite how legendary this show is, I didn't know what the story is about. All I knew is that it has teens piloting giant robots and they go through psychological trauma. People keep posting spoilers, but without context I just forgot them. Now that I'm actually watching this, I'll have to really avoid spoilers now.

Anyway, it's great so far.
Ooooh! Fresh meat!

Oct 25, 2017
Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu END

i was surprised i liked this as much as i did. Really well made but also very funny, most of the comedy is focused on bocchi extreme shyness(which already manages to be funny) but when it adds other characters it goes into absurdity and that's when it shines. there's was at least 3 times i remember bursting out laughing, which is a lot for a show that looked pretty regular.

it is also very wholesome and heartwarming, nako stole the show being as nice as she was to bocchi.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo Golden Wind 35

I am legitimately sad. Fuck. Mista shooting the pervert was funny though.

Also I can't believe I didn't see this twist coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.