• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
New Season OT will be up either mid-late Monday or Mid-late Tuesday EST. Lets be happy we will have a season for the first time this year that doesn't include a show attempting to both sides slavery as possibly an acceptable thing *remembers MAPPA's totally not US Civil War Anime*..........at least it probablly won't push the naritive that women are only out to get men with false rape charges; when we live in a society where women are scared to even speak out when such a traumatic event occurs to them. Please atleast pass that terribly low bar so I don't feel the same anger I've felt the past two seasons.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
After doing more research on next season's shows, summer isn't looking as bad as I thought.

I'm now interested in Vinland Saga, Dr. Stone, Astra Lost in Space, Dumbell, and the mom isekai. What I will actually watch will depend on where everything is available. It looks like I'll be able to watch Vinland because my sister is subscribed to Prime again and our accounts are linked.

I'll also be continuing Demon Slayer of course.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 36
There comes a point where constantly raising the stakes starts to take its toll on the scenario itself. I can't help but constantly compare Golden Wind's final arc to the Bites the Dust arc in Diamond Is Unbreakable. I think the main problem I have with this whole finale so far is that it's throwing too many things together and as such starts to come off as more contrived than JoJo's finales usually have in the past. Diamond is Unbreakable had an elegantly simple solution to raising the stakes by posing a simple question with Bites the Dust: what if finding out the villain's identity caused us to lose? But in Golden Wind, you have Requiem's ever multiplying set of powers making an already ticking clock ratchet up in speed as the scenario drags on, but you also have the question of where Diavolo is in all of this. So that already makes things messy, but on top of that, you have the knowledge from previous seasons that once the arrow takes effect on someone, things will get exponentially messier as their Stands gain new powers. I can't help but think of the surprise twist at the end of Diamond is Unbreakable's finale, and how in retrospect that might have saved us from a potentially interesting but also easy to screw up scenario involving some kind of time loop (teased in Jotaro's flashback to his youth). Sometimes, the simpler scenario works better, but given that we don't know and aren't as attached to Golden Wind's crew as we were Jotaro and friends, perhaps the crazy plot-twist fest will work better in the end. It's hard to say with three episodes left and the one-hour special to follow, but this has the potential right now to really fall apart once the grail arrow nonsense really starts in full.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
New Season OT will be up either mid-late Monday or Mid-late Tuesday EST. Lets be happy we will have a season for the first time this year that doesn't include a show attempting to both sides slavery as possibly an acceptable thing *remembers MAPPA's totally not US Civil War Anime*..........at least it probablly won't push the naritive that women are only out to get men with false rape charges; when we live in a society where women are scared to even speak out when such a traumatic event occurs to them. Please atleast pass that terribly low bar so I don't feel the same anger I've felt the past two seasons.
Don't jinx it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Furuba 13
The Queen has arrived 😊 One very subtle change I liked: they got rid of the part in the manga where Tohru tries to do as she's told and make Aya a sandwich. I mean, I get why she tries to do it because Tohru is massively depressed and feels the need to do things that makes others happy. But I don't think it would have gone down well for a modern audience.

I also love how much of a present character Kyoko is in this adaptation. She might be dead but she feels as present and "there" as any other character.

Poor Tohru 😭

It god damn here!
tumblr_mrd2b8jEiU1qi4qcho1_500.gif

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Lol it's gonna be short lived.

When it comes to anime every season there's gonna be at least that one terrible show.

Oct 25, 2017
GioGio 36

I forgot how inherently ridiculous the Requiem fight was, but the sequence of events where Diavaolo whose soul was swapped but since he and Doppio were different enough to be two people King Crimson became Diavalo's main body since Bruno is in his body, and using Trish (who is in Mistas body) to run toward the arrow, then punches himself in the back of the head to get the arrow and then it gets covered in ants cuz Giorno bled on him.

To be fair I think every single JoJo finale can be written out like that to be total nonsense besides 1 and 3.

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Gio 36
This is about as nonsensical and brilliant as I hoped it would be.

Fruits Basket 13
Kyoko continues to be a blessing from beyond the grave. Aya was a treat, even if he still has a lot to learn about meeting his brother halfway.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's gonna be short lived.

When it comes to anime every season there's gonna be at least that one terrible show.

We already have Usagi Drops 2.0 in summer so the season is already fucked. But can I at least hope for one season without the concept of slavery being considered an acceptable thing (not to mention the countless other issues that would take too long to list)!

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made in Abyss: Wandering Twilight

Well, no real progress was made. At least we got to see a little kid:

Get poisoned and have their hand swell up like a water balloon
Have blood spill out from their eyes, nose and mouth
Get their arm broken and nearly cut off
Turn into a horrific monstrosity that can't speak or even have memories

And good god, I fucking hate Reg. Such a whiny little shit. Just how many more movies are left anyway?

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One Punch Man S2 11

Don't see how we are gonna get a a satisfying conclusion with only one episode left. Should have just skipped this season and read the manga in hindsight.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Cencoroll 3 is a thing now apparently.

2029 will be a great year.

Aggretsuko S2 06

This is beyond Texnolyze tier of soulcrushing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man S2 11

Don't see how we are gonna a satisfying conclusion with only one episode left. Should have just skipped this season and read the manga in hindsight.
You're not. It's the problem of adapting an arc that super long (even longer than it was in the webcomic) and isn't completed yet in the remake manga.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
My nephew (13yo) finished episodes 25/26 of Evangelion. I now understand why people love seeing the reactions of new watchers lmao.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Stray Dogs 37
The mine cart chase with Waltz of the Flowers playing was super goofy, which I'm not normally opposed to but doesn't fit right after how this arc started when following Kunikida.

Fyodor seems poised to return as an antagonist, so the unsatisfying way he is arrested is not a big deal. Classic Dazai for better or worse. The seven minute insert song sequence and Atsushi/Akutagawa team up was nice, it's too bad it couldn't have been against an opponent that was built up at all though. I guess we also have their fated showdown to look forward (assuming that we get future seasons). I'm surprised that we are mostly back to the status quo for all the main characters after how the cannibalism was set up (I suppose Akutagawa not killing anymore is a big change).

Evangelion 08
Suddenly turned into a Darling in the Franx prequel.

Gurren Laggan 08
Wow, even knowing about this development before going into the show I just kind of assumed it would be like 20 episodes into it (I shouldn't have ignored the death flags from the last two episodes!). The way all the catchphrases were turned around was great. Interested to see where this goes now.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already have Usagi Drops 2.0 in summer so the season is already fucked. But can I at least hope for one season without the concept of slavery being considered an acceptable thing (not to mention the countless other issues that would take too long to list)!
Can you tell me what the Usagi Drops anime will be so I can avoid it?

Also you just reminded me of that anime about the american civil war. Next season is going to be painful it seems.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Miru Tights 8

While not as great as last episode (nothing ever will be), this week we have a Nisemonogatari 8 style episode except with massaging instead of toothbrushing.

The English subs aren't up yet. The autotranslate feature is hilariously bad. But it's obvious what's going on so a translation isn't even necessary.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Demon Slayer 13

Blonde guy redeemed.

We Never Learn 13

Blue hair girl finally getting focus and the season is over lol. So happy this is getting a second season.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you tell me what the Usagi Drops anime will be so I can avoid it?

Also you just reminded me of that anime about the american civil war. Next season is going to be painful it seems.

It's true that the setting of To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts is loosely based on the American Civil War. However, reading reviews of the manga (such as here or here or here), which is published in English by Vertical, slavery does not appear be to part of the narrative at all. Rather, the focus of the narrative is on soldiers abandoned by their country once their usefulness is up.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's true that the setting of To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts is loosely based on the American Civil War. However, reading reviews of the manga (such as here or here or here), which is published in English by Vertical, slavery does not appear be to part of the narrative at all. Rather, the focus of the narrative is on soldiers abandoned by their country once their usefulness is up.
I heard the main protagonist (the guy in the white hood) is supposedly based on the south and the KKK but if that's not the case then we will see how it is handled in the coming weeks.

I hope that I am wrong and it isn't like what I heard, we had enough of animes justifying slavery the last two seasons so I am really hoping that doesn't continue to this season too.

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the main protagonist (the guy in the white hood) is supposedly based on the south and the KKK but if that's not the case then we will see how it is handled in the coming weeks.

I hope that I am wrong and it isn't like what I heard, we had enough of animes justifying slavery the last two seasons so I am really hoping that doesn't continue to this season too.

I think the description of the male protagonist, Hank, as wearing a white hood led people to jump to conclusions when the anime was announced. But Hank's outfit doesn't look like the infamous KKK hooded robes - it's a trenchcoat - and he fought in the army of the North during the Civil War in the story's setting. So I don't saying that the character is based on the American Confederate South or the KKK is backed up by the actual facts of the story.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the description of the male protagonist, Hank, as wearing a white hood led people to jump to conclusions when the anime was announced. But Hank's outfit doesn't look like the infamous KKK hooded robes - it's a trenchcoat - and he fought in the army of the North during the Civil War in the story's setting. So I don't saying that the character is based on the American Confederate South or the KKK is backed up by the actual facts of the story.
That sounds encouraging.

Though I wonder, does the series attempt to "both sides" the civil war? The whole dark magic thing that the series seems to include makes it sound as if the south aren't as bad as they were at the time because the north is treating their super soldiers badly, which I guess isn't a problem in a different setting (the vietnam war comes to mind) but in the civil war it could make for some really bad message because of what the south stood for and thus become a tool for the alt right.

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds encouraging.

Though I wonder, does the series attempt to "both sides" the civil war? The whole dark magic thing that the series seems to include makes it sound as if the south aren't as bad as they were at the time because the north is treating their super soldiers badly, which I guess isn't a problem in a different setting (the vietnam war comes to mind) but in the civil war it could make for some really bad message because of what the south stood for and thus become a tool for the alt right.

That's a question which goes beyond the limits of my small amount of second-hand knowledge of this series. I would just make two comments here: First, that while this narrative is loosely inspired by the Civil War it obviously isn't intended to be an actual historical depiction of the war and its aftermath, and so we should be wary of assuming that it's making any claims about the historical war itself, especially based on second-hand reports. Second, saying that there are flaws on one side of a conflict does not by any means imply that the other side of the conflict is flawless. "The North treats their veterans badly" does not imply anything about the South. I suppose it's easier to believe that if one side of a conflict has done bad things, the other side must be the morally blameless side, but that's not true in real life and we shouldn't demand that fiction adhere to that standard.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Carole & Tuesday 12

After a few episodes that were honestly extremely mediocre,weget a good episode. The ending felt a bit weird but both performances were great (first time I actually liked Angela's song) as well as the full version of The Loneliest Girl.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Bloom Into You 7-13

While I don't think any episode in the second half was as strong as episode 6, it managed to stay compelling the entire time. More than the romance or direction, the theme of the person you present yourself as differing from who you believe yourself from be remained the strongest part, especially with the clever play. Feel sorry for Sayaka. Touko and Yuu aren't setting themselves up for a healthy long-term relationship, though that can change. Obviously it was impossible for the ending to be perfect since they can't get to the obvious conclusion, but in some ways I felt 12 was the better final episode while 13 was more of an epilogue. Probably intentional. Anyway, good show. Not sure I'll read the manga next, but what was here was satisfying.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Just binged all of ace no diamond. Absolutely love it. I regret going through the episodes so quickly now.

Icedragon08

Oct 30, 2017
Bloom Into You 7-13

While I don't think any episode in the second half was as strong as episode 6, it managed to stay compelling the entire time. More than the romance or direction, the theme of the person you present yourself as differing from who you believe yourself from be remained the strongest part, especially with the clever play. Feel sorry for Sayaka. Touko and Yuu aren't setting themselves up for a healthy long-term relationship, though that can change. Obviously it was impossible for the ending to be perfect since they can't get to the obvious conclusion, but in some ways I felt 12 was the better final episode while 13 was more of an epilogue. Probably intentional. Anyway, good show. Not sure I'll read the manga next, but what was here was satisfying.
If you wait a few more month the manga will be finished. Its currently in its last volume, probably 2 or 3 chapters left.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I read chapter 37 of TPN which covers the last ep of the first season. And now I just looked and I'm on chapter 59

Oops

Oct 25, 2017
Inazuma Eleven Ares todays episode

Always the fathers leaving their family and kids behind to chase their dreams for sportsball. Also kind of sad how they framed it as the mom blaming herself over what happened and being a coward for staying on the island to raise Sonny. Also sad for Sonny getting his deceased moms letter now.

Emotional episode.

I dont think we need Raimon to go against Polestar again.

Oct 25, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 13

Zenitsu is amazing and that devotion to protecting that which is important for his friend. Lovely.

Really epic episode. Its amazing how amazing this anime has become since getting to the daytime.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Me waiting for the next furuba ep so we can get yet another chunk of story that never made it to the OG anime

tumblr_ptv7tiqybe1rve09po3_400.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Bungo Stray Dogs s3 End

Amazing Atsushi x Akutagawa moments, really the highlight of the whole anime and the reason Im even a fan, getting Atsushi in Akutagawa's cloak was amazing but so was their teamwork before hand. But then their final discussion, wow. I need the next six months to hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.