• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With Rakugo and Kaguya-sama I'll have to follow Hatakeyama's future works. Admittedly, the souce material for those two is strong in its own right. I remember dropping Sankarea rather quickly because it was was just terrible on the writing front.

Have you watched his season of Rozen Maiden (I think it's subtitled Zurückspulen) yet? Rozen Maiden was always a little bit better than you'd expect it to be, memetic Suiseiseki nonsense notwithstanding, but Hatakeyama's spin on it was by far the best part of it (also thanks to the anime original storyline by veteran writer/director/everything Tomomi Mochizuki). Do give it a watch if you get the chance - I had completely forgotten about it until just now, but your mention of Sankarea reminded me of it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you watched his season of Rozen Maiden (I think it's subtitled Zurückspulen) yet? Rozen Maiden was always a little bit better than you'd expect it to be, memetic Suiseiseki nonsense notwithstanding, but Hatakeyama's spin on it was by far the best part of it (also thanks to the anime original storyline by veteran writer/director/everything Tomomi Mochizuki). Do give it a watch if you get the chance - I had completely forgotten about it until just now, but your mention of Sankarea reminded me of it.

I know basically nothing about it. Might be the first time I've heard about it, actually. Maybe I'll give it a spin.

Oct 25, 2017

I second the recommendation of Rozen Maiden 2013. An excellent work, especially in its portrayal of the listless college-aged Jun. (A word of warning though: the first episode is a heavily compressed summary of the entire first Rozen Maiden manga - some great imagery and reasonably well-done for what it is, but still unavoidably compromised. Watch through the second episode before writing it off.)

One small correction, though: the anime's plot is not anime original but a direct adaptation of the Rozen Maiden sequel manga serialized in Young Jump from 2008-2014, albeit with some expansion of the earlier older Jun focused material and compression of the later doll focused material.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
the first episode is a heavily compressed summary of the entire first Rozen Maiden manga - some great imagery and reasonably well-done for what it is, but still unavoidably compromised. Watch through the second episode before writing it off.)

Oh, I was just about to ask if I'd be lost without having seen anything else. Am I more or less good to go if I watch that?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was just about to ask if I'd be lost without having seen anything else. Am I more or less good to go if I watch that?

More or less. Honestly, you'd be mostly good to go if you started with the second episode. The conceit of the sequel manga that Hatakeyama's Rozen Maiden adapts is that it's set in a parallel world from the original manga that branches off from the first decision the protagonist made. The first episode's summary will give some (rushed) context for the series, especially for some of the shenanigans that go on late in the show, but the majority of the show can stand on its own.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Once I get through the first season I guess I'll see why she's best girl then.

Yeah, once you get further you'll understand...

Fuck Subaru....

YU-NO was originally an H-game so that's not really a surprise. The harem dynamic mashed together with a seemingly serious and convoluted plot, while a fairly tried-and-tested look for anime by now, mostly reminds me of the 5pb Science Adventure games/shows - perhaps particularly unsurprising given that the only reason this show is being made is because 5pb has just remade and re-released YU-NO.

Oh, Hgame, huh? That explains a LOT

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
More or less. Honestly, you'd be mostly good to go if you started with the second episode. The conceit of the sequel manga that Hatakeyama's Rozen Maiden adapts is that it's set in a parallel world from the original manga that branches off from the first decision the protagonist made. The first episode's summary will give some (rushed) context for the series, especially for some of the shenanigans that go on late in the show, but the majority of the show can stand on its own.

Aye. I'll see how I go about it then.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Finishing up a rewatch of Ikuhara's modern stuff in preparation for Sarazanmai and folks,

TvWChgu.png

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shield Hero ep.13
I wish all the worst pain to this twisted red-hedded, nutcase, useless princess. My goodness do I ever hate her...

I recently came to the realization that the reason so many people (myself included) despise this character isn't because she's an effective villain.

It's because she's a frustrating villain.

"Frustrating" because her plans all hinge on everyone around her being gullible to the point of idiocy. When a character literally asks "How could anyone believe something so stupid?", you would hope the show would knowingly wise up, but alas.

I'm mainly frustrated because I just want to know what her damn motivation is already. She doesn't appear to be in league with the baddies behind the calamities, her father realizes that they need Shield's power in order to save their kingdom....so why is he constantly being fucked with? What is the end goal here?

And I am deeply, deeply afraid to ask this question....

does Melty end up getting a slave seal?

Because....there is absolutely no fucking reason for her to get one, other than "well she joins the party, it's kind of a tradition now".

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 11

tbh that revolution can't come sooner, Jesus Christ
A Duke confronts a little boy who was caught stealing because he was starving. He pretended to let him off the hook and then shot him on the back.

Oscar works behind the scenes in guiding Marie but it would really be better if she just confronted her directly. Obviously her role doesn't give her such freedom and her own fascination towards Antoinette's 'purity' and innocence drives her away from doing so informally. I know this will not end well but I can see WHY right away.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I recently came to the realization that the reason so many people (myself included) despise this character isn't because she's an effective villain.

"Frustrating" because her plans all hinge on everyone around her being gullible to the point of idiocy. When a character literally asks "How could anyone believe something so stupid?", you would hope the show would knowingly wise up, but alas.

I'm mainly frustrated because I just want to know what her damn motivation is already. She doesn't appear to be in league with the baddies behind the calamities, her father realizes that they need Shield's power in order to save their kingdom....so why is he constantly being fucked with? What is the end goal here?

Because....there is absolutely no fucking reason for her to get one, other than "well she joins the party, it's kind of a tradition now".

Religious Prejudice. Thier religion is only about the other 3 heros and the shield hero is evil. In the manga I don't think it's explicitly stated why that is but it's infered it's cause the shield hero is usually a hero that is sympathetic to the beast folk.

she gets some super SUPER fucker up stuff that happens to her later on but I'm not sure if that is just the web novel version or the light novel has it to cause there have been many examples of light novels toned down from the web novel.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy, and has anyone else noticed the extreme hypocrisy here?

Shield Hero 13

Spear: "Slavery is wrong! You should never own a slave!"

Also Spear: "Now that I've put on a shackle that keeps you from transforming, I can keep you as my precious loli angel!"

Not since Psycho Pass' Mika have I detested an anime character as much as Spear.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finishing up a rewatch of Ikuhara's modern stuff in preparation for Sarazanmai and folks,

TvWChgu.png

Why, though? While it's all very well posting how much we all agree/disagree (and let's face it, we only have two Ikuhara shows that count as "modern", one of which is nearly 10 years old now...), dropping an image and running doesn't help.

YuriKuma is more compact and doesn't get time to drop the ball on its supporting characters in the same way that PingDrum did, but what time PingDrum did spend on its supporting characters was time enormously well spent. YuriKuma is also less visually accomplished than PingDrum, and while it still trades heavily in allegory and metaphor is less interesting thematically; the oppression and fetishisation of lesbianism is of course a valid theme to explore, but I felt like PingDrum had more to say, however successful or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong - I didn't dislike YuriKuma (although I wasn't a huge fan of its early episodes, it picked up massively in its second half). I just enjoyed PingDrum far, far more.

Roll on Sarazanmai!

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Fruits Basket - 01

Yes, YES YES! .

I'm just so happy this is real and is happening. :')

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kaguya - Two episodes in and I still don't get the hype on here. Is every episode them just trying to outwit each other? I get that's oversimplifying it but so far it's not grabbed me really.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once you get further you'll understand...

Fuck Subaru....

Oh, Hgame, huh? That explains a LOT

Not exactly a H-game, it was just a VN eroge. Much like Fate, the sex moments were like 2% of the total game. And this anime is based on the remake which don't have sex, only some fanservice moments

I don't know if this is true or not as I only have read the manga adaptation but if this is true, it won't be on the anime at all. Only a certain moment will be and it's not this.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
YU-NO was originally an H-game so that's not really a surprise. The harem dynamic mashed together with a seemingly serious and convoluted plot, while a fairly tried-and-tested look for anime by now, mostly reminds me of the 5pb Science Adventure games/shows - perhaps particularly unsurprising given that the only reason this show is being made is because 5pb has just remade and re-released YU-NO.
Pretty much all of those time travel/multiverse screwing around VNs (Ever17, Zero Escape, Steins;Gate, etc.) can trace their DNA back to YU-NO in some way, it's a very influential work.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya - Two episodes in and I still don't get the hype on here. Is every episode them just trying to outwit each other? I get that's oversimplifying it but so far it's not grabbed me really.
I know others disagree but I don't think the first two episodes are good. It starts to pick up with the 3rd and then improves as it goes along.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Myne is just completely evil, isn't she? And her English VA does a great job of making me hate her.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Fruit Baskets Brotherhood Episode 1:

Well, this is certainly a property I have heard of but this was my first actual dalliance in engagement so I have no clue how things stack against the old series or the manga. Anyway, pretty solid stuff though I found myself far more interested in Tohru's overarching life goals then anything romantic presented in the first episode.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

LOL. To answer your question: absolutely not.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Senryuu Shoujo #1

It's fine. I will watch it due to Hanakana being Nanako as the anime don't seem to be that good in other departments as well.

Still, shame that the designs/art on the anime are so simple and bland compared to the manga. :( Would be great if it was more similar. Maybe with other character designer.
vaBXufP.png

uk9GcRH.png

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
fairy gone confirmed for funi with sub and dub

and whatever this show is :P

ok... so the second one is actually based on a well received manga, I just wish a garbage studio wasn't adapting it. I'd be more excited then :P

Oct 25, 2017
Yes wll definitely watch both of those dubbed.

Its good Funi continues to embrace JUMP SQUARE

Can only hope they do the same when Moriarty The Patriot receives its anime.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
BWA!!!!

was not expecting a sub/dub for Mix.

robihachi also picked up

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Fruits Baskets 1

This is extremely my thing.

I remember the manga was super popular when I was in high school but I never read it or watched the old anime. You can definitely tell it's a story from the past as some of the super deformed stuff or expressions aren't commonly used anymore in modern anime. Regardless, I really enjoyed it. The show looks gorgeous. That background art is whewwwww.

Is the manga available to read online anywhere legal like Viz or CR?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Fruits Baskets 1

I remember the manga was super popular when I was in high school but I never read it or watched the old anime. You can definitely tell it's a story from the past as some of the super deformed stuff or expressions aren't commonly used anymore in modern anime. Regardless, I really enjoyed it. The show looks gorgeous. That background art is whewwwww.

the anime will be a full adaption (though there will likely be a break after 26 episodes) so you can get the full story that way :P

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu Episode 1:

This was much better then I was expecting, it is helped by being a slice of life comedy instead of the vanilla stuff; may end up being the hidden gem of the season.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
the anime will be a full adaption (though there will likely be a break after 26 episodes) so you can get the full story that way :P

Yeah but I wanna binge it noooow lol. It feels like the perfect rainy Friday evening read. I need a series to get lost into tonight.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu Episode 1:

This was much better then I was expecting, it is helped by being a slice of life comedy instead of the vanilla stuff; may end up being the hidden gem of the season.

Oh damn, Hitoribocchi is airing this season too? Spring is looking lit. I should really check out the OP in this thread...

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fruits Baskets 1

Is it? Because the art on this new anime isn't like the manga or the older anime.

Yeah but I wanna binge it noooow lol. It feels like the perfect rainy Friday evening read. I need a series to get lost into tonight.

Oh damn, Hitoribocchi is airing this season too? Spring is looking lit. I should really check out the OP in this thread...

Yeah, it's this season. You can see more here if you want to. I recommend looking at those at least a month or weeks before a new season begins as they're almost always complete at the time.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Because the art on this new anime isn't like the manga or the older anime.

Yeah, it's this season. You can see more here if you want to. I recommend looking at those at least a month or weeks before a new season begins as they're almost always complete at the time.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

I definitely like the newer artstyle better. I think that's what put me off the series initially. However, I do like the premise enough to continue with it.

Thanks for the MAL link!

Give My Roomate is a Cat a watch.
it's a nice adorable watch that will put a smile on your face most of the time :)

That was one of my faves from last season. I really hope we get more in the future. But yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That was one of my faves from last season. I really hope we get more in the future. But yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for.

pure cute (one of the few pure cute series I have enjoyed)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6574/Hanamaru_Youchien?q=hinamaru

Feels a lot like my room mate is a cat without any similar plot points (fair warning the director of this is scum but he is no longer with the company)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36038/Net-juu_no_Susume?q=mmo junki

other shows I would recommend that are mostly fun
https://myanimelist.net/anime/4722/Skip_Beat (I love this show but the synopsis ruins the 1st episode twist a bit)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/122/Full_Moon_wo_Sagashite (I swear despite the fact this is about a little girl who has throat cancer that it's mostly light hearted.... mostly)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1486/Kodomo_no_Omocha_TV
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2034/Lovely★Complex
https://myanimelist.net/anime/427/Kaleido_Star

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just heard about Dororo and wanted to check it out, but I have a couple of quick questions: It seems like a weekly anime, any word on when it will end and how many eps it'll be? Will it only be one season or will be it ongoing?

Status
Not open for further replies.