• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know where you are but there is a part I still don't understand. It was funny as hell. Hint: Has something to do bright colors like a person is tripping.

Really great anime though. I recommend to everyone.
I think that must've been episode 10, which I've literally just finished!

I don't think I fully got it either but then again I think it's one of those things that's meant to be ambiguous.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Now with all the Sarazanmai hype, I want to watch Utena and Penguindrum (already watched Yurikuma and enjoyed it), which one should I watch first?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/saga-of-tanya-the-evil-the-movie

The Tanya movie will be shown in theaters on May 16th. Haven't seen the series yet, but my nephew has in preparation for Isekai Quartet and wants to see it.

Now I'm thinking...what are the chances that the Bunny Girl movie will be shown in theaters. I really want to see that one. And Konosuba too.
Super likely.

Between Funimation, Gkids, Aniplex, Eleven Arts, and Crunchyroll, we're getting most anime movies released here in some small form. I think the only exceptions have been the yearly movies based on children anime like Doraemon and Precure (excluding Pokemon for obvious reasons). Hell, even that glorified OVA movie for Trinity Seven got a small theatrical release in the states a few weeks back.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Bungo Stray Dogs 26
Dazai/Chuuya shenanigans are always fun so I'm pleased with this start. The premise of their first mission seems interesting. It's a little odd to begin another season with a mostly contextless prequel arc, but the previous one was the best stretch of the show so maybe it bodes well.

Sarazanmai 01
Episode flew by. Looking forward to see where it goes.

Neat that the ending has the style for the teaser trailers.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Bungo Stray Dogs 26

Quite interesting to get another prequel arc. Dazai is great as always. Looking forward to see what's in store!

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm sorta using this as a typing test as I adjust to my new keyboard but whatever.

Carole & Tuesday -1
CDlp6xul.jpg

This was fine. I don't think it was particularly great, nor do I think it was particularly bad or even mediocre. It's still sort of hard to get a gauge on this show, on multiple levels, as the long series running time means they're going to have to fill the down moments with a lot of content and I didn't see much in this episode to indicate the quality of that. We know the first cour is about Carole and Tuesday before they hit it big and the second cour is after their breakthrough (so the usual band breakup due to sex/drugs/women). So what they'll do with future content aside, this episode served as a fairly good look into Carole and Tuesday's lives, as well as their personalities. That's really the priority for any series, especially one so character-driven like this will be. In that regard, I think the show did a good job of making me care about the two for the time being. Tuesday bullying was entertaining, I hope Carole continues that trend in later episodes. I also like Angela, who looks to be the antagonist, as she looks to have her own emotional problems.
Th9OxnRl.jpg
lOVmN8Tl.jpg

I've watched this episode twice and the second time I was more impressed with the storyboarding than the initial go around. Take for instance the above scene, the jump cut and visuals juxtapose her initial thoughts. There were also some minor foreshadowing/in-episode references like Angela being in that Durian soda commercial and later Carole gives Tuesday a Durian soda.
W193ZVjl.jpg

The big problem with the series I possibly foresee is the production values. This looks to be on the lower end for BONES, which is surprising as this is supposed to be their anniversary project. I have to wonder if Mob Psycho's scheduling overlapped with this, resulting in this show getting shafted. Both the character animation and background art is sloppier than what I know BONES is capable of. For example, when Carole wakes up, her animation is stiffer than it should be. Also the skateboarding scene feels lacking as that feels like the scene when an unnecessarily flashy sakuga scene occurs. You can tell the priority was the music performances but that doesn't excuse the rest of the episode not being up to snuff. This is probably the worst premiere Watanabe has put out, from a visual standpoint. Both Terror in Resonance and Kids on the Slope had gorgeous first episodes, not to mention stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy. We'll see if this is true for later episodes when the musical performances start becoming bigger components of the show. I'm hoping it's not just a case of only the performances getting the focus and all character animation.
Hj35AcGl.jpg
yQay8Ibl.jpg

The other problem is the background art being sorta ass. There are definitely scenes where the art looks nice such as Tuesday's bedroom but too much is mediocre at best, especially shots involving the cityscape. It's lacking in both interesting geometry but also detail. In the above two snapshots, the first one is from Carole and the second is from the Mofu Healing anime. The detail in the later is much higher and feels like a real city compared to the first. That's sort of surprising as Watanabe is usually better in this area. The background art in this episode looks to have been done by a combination of Studio Blue (KyoAni's external background support studio) and Studio No Border (new studio by Thomas Romain). The art director for C&T is Ryō Kono, who is also the art director for Mob Psycho, which again makes me wonder if the internal priority for everyone at BONES was Mob.
GeLuewIl.jpg

The UI work though was absolutely gorgeous so there was at least something decent about the background visuals. I don't really have much else to comment on outside of that, other than the ED is somewhat underwhelming as I know Norimitsu Suzuki is capable of much more, for reference go look at the Star Driver EDs. It's only an ED though so whatever as the brunt of the animation team seems to be working on some insane OP done by Bahi JD. So decent start but I definitely can see this crashing and burning for possibly multiple reasons.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that the high level English singing voices is going to be extremely distracting. I hope they use the actual singers for Carole and Tuesday's English dub voice actors as the jump from Miyuri Shimabukuro to Nai Br.XX is vast.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Now with all the Sarazanmai hype, I want to watch Utena and Penguindrum (already watched Yurikuma and enjoyed it), which one should I watch first?
Utena was the first "weird" anime I've watched (my brother picked up the first VHS in a bargin bin at Kroger of all places). I was like 9-10 when we started to watch it, but didn't truly finish it until about 4 years ago. It's a good introductory to the mind and directing style of Ikuhara whereas Penguindrum cranks the symbolism and subtext up to 11 (and it looks like Sarazanmai is doing the same). As you go through the shows, you might notice numerous similarities in character archetypes and shot composition. The style of Penguindrum a little more similar to Yurikuma that you mentioned as well as Sarazanmai, so it could be neat to see how the style of Ikuhara evolves over time. But yeah, Utena is absolutely stellar, especially the final act, which is peak television for me. It's one of those shows that I've shown to my friends numerous times and it still doesn't get old (in spite of the show's frequent reuse of animation). The best news is that you can find the whole thing on youtube officially.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/saga-of-tanya-the-evil-the-movie

The Tanya movie will be shown in theaters on May 16th. Haven't seen the series yet, but my nephew has in preparation for Isekai Quartet and wants to see it.

Now I'm thinking...what are the chances that the Bunny Girl movie will be shown in theaters. I really want to see that one. And Konosuba too.

forgot all about this since movies are usually a toss up for playing here

but it looks like it's actually coming here

i'm surprised, pleased, and excited, can't wait etc etc

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Utena was the first "weird" anime I've watched (my brother picked up the first VHS in a bargin bin at Kroger of all places). I was like 9-10 when we started to watch it, but didn't truly finish it until about 4 years ago. It's a good introductory to the mind and directing style of Ikuhara whereas Penguindrum cranks the symbolism and subtext up to 11 (and it looks like Sarazanmai is doing the same). As you go through the shows, you might notice numerous similarities in character archetypes and shot composition. The style of Penguindrum a little more similar to Yurikuma that you mentioned as well as Sarazanmai, so it could be neat to see how the style of Ikuhara evolves over time. But yeah, Utena is absolutely stellar, especially the final act, which is peak television for me. It's one of those shows that I've shown to my friends numerous times and it still doesn't get old (in spite of the show's frequent reuse of animation). The best news is that you can find the whole thing on youtube officially.
I sorta adore Ikuhara's Stock Footage (reusing of previous animation throughout a shows run, aka magical girl transformations etc...) usage in Utena, it just adds to the charm of the show for me. Then again I would likely put Utena as my top anime created, so I may have some bias tinting my viewpoint.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Utena. I love Penguindrum more but Utena is his best work imo.
Thank you! I will start it after finishing what I'm currently watching.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I sorta adore Ikuhara's Stock Footage (reusing of previous animation throughout a shows run, aka magical girl transformations etc...) usage in Utena, it just adds to the charm of the show for me. Then again I would likely put Utena as my top anime created, so I may have some bias tinting my viewpoint.
The Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku song that plays during the long ascent before battles is the best example in the show where it adds theming, and the theme and animation sequence evolve as the story arcs happen, increasing the tension. Reused animation when done well can be quite effective.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Bungo Stray Dogs made it into the thread title for this topic, when like barely anyone has even posted about it all day compared to Sarazanmai.

--

Bungo Stray Dogs s3 Episode 1

Chuuya actually has an awesome character design in this iteration, wish he retained this look in the future.

Was never a fan of this *ship* since I hate Dazai's guts. Though I did laugh when they randomly broke out bickering after being told they will work together.

Beginning fight with the old geezer was great.

I do wish the show would stop doing those zoomed out shots where characters are just faceless heads and a mop of hair on top.

Ive missed you GRANRODEO!!!!!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone comment on Okko's Inn? Fathom Events is doing a showing of it coming up. From the trailer, it looked cute but not necessarily earth-shattering. Worth a watch?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Furuba 2
Well, this is now my aoty, just saying. OP song is beautiful, I really wanna hear the full version. I am really appreciating the storyboarding and pacing most of all. Things just flow so well in this and feel very natural. Actions that seem dated in a 10+ year old shojou actually translate successfully in this modern take. So Yuki flicking his hair or Kyo posing strangely are being adapted in a way that fits modern anime aesthetics. It's really good, I'm continually impressed by how comfortable this feels.

Last edited:

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been rewatching Re;Zero lately. Not only is episode 15 my favorite in the series, I honestly think it's the best episode in anime history.
I don't agree with the hyperbole (which is pretty usual on these forums), but it's an amazing episode, I can agree with that.

The whole anime was pretty great IMO. One of the best animes in this genre.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
This season is pretty weak. Other than Carol & Tuesday, I don't think I'm looking forward to watching anything.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone comment on Okko's Inn? Fathom Events is doing a showing of it coming up. From the trailer, it looked cute but not necessarily earth-shattering. Worth a watch?

i've only seen a few eps, but yea, it's cute but nothing earth-shattering

if you don't have anything better to do def worth a watch

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Re:Zero 1-11

Apparently I'm on this train too now? I swear this was completely independent from watching this thread. Anyway, opinions:
  • This anime is super hilarious. "Dumbass does stupid things and wins stupid prizes" is great fun. That "demonic puppy looking menacing" thing was amazing.
  • I feel like Subaru's intelligence varies depending on the demands of the plot/whatever will create the most drama. There's times where he does stuff that's really clever whenever it would make a "cool moment" and other times where he just does the absolute dumbest thing imaginable. He's kind of an inconsistent character.
  • Emilia is still kind of a nothing character? I'm guessing the next arc will try to work to address that.
  • Rem feels like an utterly ridiculous over the top version of certain old (oh god early-mid 00s is old now...) VN heroine cliches. I don't know how Subaru said any of that without dying of embarrassment and I don't know how Rem ate any of that up.
  • Ram is anime's greatest clownfucker. Seriously though she's probably my favorite character, I really liked how her character was slowly revealed and built on and she's a lot of fun in how she acts (especially in the shorts with those poses). Also she's too busy fucking clowns to fall in love with our loser protagonist, so that's a big plus.
  • Beato's cool too.
  • So's Puck. I feel like almost all the drama in the second arc could have been avoided if Subaru just opened up to Puck more for some advice. But Subaru's a dumbass who does stupid things except when he's not.
  • Ep 8 lap pillow scene I think was supposed to be emotional but all I can think it "lol rie takahashi asmr"

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You people are starting to make me feel I should revisit Re Zero. I didn't find it to be all that great but that was years ago. I might have to rewatch and see what's that good about it.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'm wanting to fill out my seasonal schedule. I'm watching Sarazanmai, Fruits Basket, and Demon Slayer, but I want to know what deeper cuts I should get to. Bear in mind that I'm saving Carole and Tuesday for the full western Netflix drop.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i could be watching new stuff but instead i'm watching sound eupho again ep 1
god the direction on this show heals my heart. maybe i should do breakdowns except i think throxas did some hella breakdowns which are on his blog? i forget. I think his breakdowns are more band focused tho

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I had a feeling you wouldn't considering your thoughts on Rem so far lol
It put me off enough that I've stopped watching for the rest of the night.

I even started this massive rant about why I hated it but it's just exhausting me so I've deleted the whole thing. I'm gonna go play some Mass Effect now.

Status
Not open for further replies.