• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What were the best shows of the winter season?
I've seen some complaints about it being a sub-par adaption, but The Promised Neverland is pretty good, I think. Also, in agreement with those above, I'd like to emphasize Run with the Wind.
Demon Slayer 3

I am a ResetEra poster.

I literally post on ResetEra.
Does that mean the inner monologuing is as incessant as ever?
I must say, it was very noticeable this episode. What bothered be more, however, was their insistence in narrating the obvious throughout the entirety of the first half of the episode. He's shown getting ensnared by a trap -- I keep getting ensnared by traps! Sensei is shown facing him barehanded -- sensei is barehanded! Shown failing at his objective -- I failed at my objective!

Doubly odd, since the narration did add some useful information here and there. Why not just continue with that trend?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Code Geass R3 is back on the menu boys!

Or another set of movies. That seems to be more likely at a glance, given current Sunrise production practices don't always seem to favor making TV series. Presumably different teams and properties compete for resources.

Apparently they didn't really say anything too specific, regarding the future format or content, so that linked tweet seems ambiguous. The newest movie is already effectively "R3" in function, so that label is unlikely to come up.

Oct 25, 2017
W'z Episode 7
tumblr_pn1zye3jnC1scr8d9o4_540.gif

tumblr_pn1zye3jnC1scr8d9o5_540.gif

Tazuna and Yukiya mesh perfectly and lol at both having the same response to Koyori dressing all nicely.
tumblr_pn1zss5yMA1scr8d9o6_400.gif

Gai and Masataka are still the best, their lost was also so beautiful since Gai broke through those chains even if it hurt him just to reach his Masataka who could never shoot someone.

Glad theyre together even afterwards and so close.
tumblr_pn1zvovquo1scr8d9o1_540.gif

tumblr_pn1zvovquo1scr8d9o3_540.gif

Still will forever be the best boys holding hands in anime of all time, so much energy, passion, emotion, and feeling!
tumblr_pn1zss5yMA1scr8d9o1_540.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Demon Slayer 3

I am a ResetEra poster.

I literally post on ResetEra.
For curiosity's sake I checked to see what that line was in the manga and he uses the word "cultivator" instead and then clarifies that it's his job to cultivate talent in aspiring swordsmen. Seems like the translators just weren't giving a fuck, which doesn't surprise me since the official translation for this series makes a ton of stupid translation choices in general.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
Penguin Highway

Excellent movie, have been following the director since Fumiko's Confession. It's very post-3/11, unlike Your Name.

A piece of trivia: the Lady throws a gyroball at one point in the film, which would earn her a starting place in any Proyakyu team.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
This is the part where I say if you're not liking Demon Slayer maybe give Dororo a shot, due to similar subject matter and better quality.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 12

Huh. What? Uh, sure. So Steven Spielberg and/or JJ Abrams is actually an alien controlling a robot person and has been making movies for a century, and he's here to enforce the rules of the galactic alliance. Also apparently he's a big enough deal that the Prime Minister gives him carte blanche to do whatever he needs to film his next movie because this is important for Japan/US relations. And Hikaru embedded a shuriken in his head. Like, the character work really isn't impressing me here (though Madoka reading the entire script instead of just her lines was amusing), but this is the kind of ridiculous nonsense I want more out of this show. Hikaru impulsively putting them in a bad spot right after she learned not to do that doesn't make her look good. At least Lala has a full name now.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Want to watch a so bad its good anime. Something legendarily bad. Any recommendations?

There's always Quadelia Code, which is infamous for how absolutely bad the animation is. There is even scenes in the anime where main characters are talking, but you can't even tell where they are because the animators messed up their designs and gave them the wrong colors for their hair. The story isn't good either and almost nothing makes any sense. To get the best experience with this one, watch the TV rips and not the BD or DVD that fixed some of it.

If you're looking for completely ridiculous, there's always Ousama Game, one of the worst pieces of shit to ever be animated while still being more entertaining than most anime.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'm only at about 560 complete anime series since I started watching anime in 2007. I need to watch more of those "classics" that I keep reading about. I only even just watched Eva a few years ago.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm only at about 560 complete anime series since I started watching anime in 2007. I need to watch more of those "classics" that I keep reading about. I only even just watched Eva a few years ago.
April is apparently my recommend Twelve Kingdoms month... so I'm gonna keep doing that.
you should watch some Twelve Kingdoms lol.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if KareKano is considered a classic but it should be. Like Eva, it's produced by Gainax and directed by Anno.

The Berserk TV anime from '97.

Nana

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Claymore (Though I recommend reading the rest after episode 23)
Twelve Kingdoms
Shiki
Black Lagoon

All are classic.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched that too. A shame it ended too soon. Should have gotten another season.
I'm still hoping that one day Twelve Kingdoms will get rescued and that the other two will get licensed.

at the very least Jnovel announced they are rescuing Crest of the Stars yesterday (and releasing it and FMP in hard cover form) so hopefully they will rescue some other series down the line.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hoping that one day Twelve Kingdoms will get rescued and that the other two will get licensed.

at the very least Jnovel announced they are rescuing Crest of the Stars yesterday (and releasing it and FMP in hard cover form) so hopefully they will rescue some other series down the line.
Yeah I hope so. People are really missing out on them if they haven't watched or read them.

Awesome news on Crest of Stars, that's another classic that I need to rewatch. Feels like I am rewatching more than clearing my backlog these days haha

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hope so. People are really missing out on them if they haven't watched or read them.

Awesome news on Crest of Stars, that's another classic that I need to rewatch. Feels like I am rewatching more than clearing my backlog these days haha
I was reminded I should actually post...

but as I posted yesterday. With 4 new volumes of Twelve Kingdoms coming out in the next year I'm really hoping it can get a nice new adaption.

If Fruits Basket can get a new full manga adaption, there is a non zero chance Twelve Kingdoms could get a new adaption in this Isekai adaption happy world we live in now.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I was reminded I should actually post...

but as I posted yesterday. With 4 new volumes of Twelve Kingdoms coming out in the next year I'm really hoping it can get a nice new adaption.

If Fruits Basket can get a new full manga adaption, there is a non zero chance Twelve Kingdoms could get a new adaption in this Isekai adaption happy world we live in now.

Oh man I hope so. If they announce it then they need to bring back the people doing the music. It was really good.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to do a bit of an effortpost on A Place Further Than The Universe 5. It'll be fairly basic I think but what the hell.

The central point of this episode is (spoiler alert) Megumi and Kimari's relationship of dependence and of Megumi not wanting to let Kimari go to Antarctica but not really knowing how to express it except through sabotage. To this end there's lots and lots of disquieting imagery used throughout to give a sense of wrongness to Megumi, though her truth isn't fully revealed until the climax of the episode (naturally).

iL3xCcw.jpg

inTLMRA.jpg

Even before the OP starts up there's a stark contrast between the scenes with Shirase and Kimari and with Megumi and Kimari just in the simple tones of the lighting (though the latter also has the standard 'flashbacks are super overexposed' effect going). It's also worth noting that while Kimari and her other friends are often extremely physically affectionate, Megumi is always apart from Kimari in physical distance. In the flashback, too, she spends much of it standing over her.

And in the video game scene, Megu isn't playing games with Kimari, she's just watching her, narrowing her eyes and throwing a cutting remark when Kimari reminds her this is one of the few things that Kimari was ever better at Megumi at.

OPMXMEe.jpg

SdXZZh2.jpg

ijHO3CK.jpg

Worth noting that the game characters resemble the two of them.

gBnjmzX.jpg

ZoRNMDy.jpg

A couple of close ups of Megu's face just for brief moments that really others her from the viewer, especially when she's referring to Shirase as "Antarctica", which is fairly telling.

There's a little sequence at the end of the video game scene which pretty much tells you what you need to know about the whole episode in minature, with a close-up on Megu eying the power cord and then 'tripping' over it, though for my money the real bit is when Kimari responds with an emphatic 'yup' to Megu's suggestion and Megumi immediately thinks about the sheepish Kimari from episode 1 - again, it's pretty much the entire setup for the episode in about three or four shots. Anyway, I thought the whole sequence was quite well done, with the music building and building and building and then straight silence, and letting the cable drop.

The next major relationship scene is in the park after Kimari's fairwell. Even as Kimari is saying goodbye to unnamed generic classmates in the classroom, Megu is sitting by herself looking on, and only forces a smile when Kimari looks her way. In the park afterwards, Megumi takes it upon herself to fill Kimari in on some disquieting rumours.

kY9grWO.jpg

2jJozDZ.jpg

It's this shot here that really struck me - it's very basic, but again it sums up so much about the episode with that simple framing. Megumi and Kimari are conversing but they're separated hugely in physical space and not even really facing one another. Kimari has wandered out into the light and is warmly lit; Megu by contrast is in shadow and hemmed in by the wood of the shrine waiting spot.

nUG6nYs.jpg

ufIjcSH.jpg

Even when we cut for more cut-in shots we see Kimari's full face in the light, but we only see Megumi's back (from Kimari's POV, more or less). The dialogue is all a hint for the reveal, by the way, since she's gauging Kimari's reactions and trying to get her to stay behind in a gesture she knows is futile.

Frm1O1P.jpg

When Megu comes out to the light she still doesn't really approach Kimari; I get the impression she wants Kimari to come to her.

oUik9k9.jpg

6DeDjxh.jpg

When Hinata and Shirase show up, Megumi more or less loses control of the situation; she only knows how to deal with Kimari. Here the light/shadow and distance vocabulary is reused, but with Hinata facing the three of them, it comes off across as the 'adult' giving advice to the kids more than anything else.

Anyway, the rest of the outing is fairly in line, with Megumi a bit out of focus since she's just 'there' compared to the more forceful personalities of everybody else. She does get a good bit in karaoke:

jTyYfhC.jpg

Sort of showing that she can release the tension if she needs to, as well as being a good comedic beat to force Shirase into doing her thing as well.

On the walk home, with the gathering night we get a good reuse of the shadows, with Megumi again shown from the shadow side and Kimari lit by the light of the window

AzjlCXc.jpg

DzZd52L.jpg

jfV5WLK.jpg

There's some really nice shots at various distances as Kimari spills her feelings to Megumi, who doesn't really respond to them here and now, including this rather good distorted mirror shot. Worth noting that they're both in the light now as they face things that have been on the down low.

SRddAZh.jpg

34eUrvE.jpg

Megu gets a text from Kimari as she walks home. The glow of the screen and the moody lighting of the streets provides some really interesting shadows to highlight Megumi's 'aloneness'.

IBB62J6.jpg

scv0HAj.jpg

Worth noting the camera lingers on this last still shot for about 7 seconds without any movement or sound other than crickets.

Here we come to the climax of the episode, Megumi finally working up the courage to tell Kimari everything about her betrayal, about her wanting to keep her there, mother her, make herself feel useful by making Kimari never feel competant. This whole bit here is set up directly after the warmth of Kimari's family saying goodbye which is drenched in warm colours and warm feelings. Hell, the background noise is still that of the early morning birds, though it saves the BGM until the contrast with the warm guitars and innocent voice can really really highlight the emotional breakdown.

RZTkOPS.jpg

This image by itself, even without dialogue, tells a whole story - Megumi's hesitance, the light diffusing across the scene, it's just a really effective setup shot.

xlnmqJv.jpg

Megumi is background lit throughout this scene by the rising sun - still in shadow, but highlighted in warmth. Possibly the first genuine smile you see all episode, matched with severely painful dialogue.

vCirQpp.jpg

Another story-in-a-shot moment. The weight of the image is all on the left with the bulk of the tree, leaving Megumi a lonely and stark figure , who stands out in good contrast against her background.

HeclhP4.jpg

EVHZO2K.jpg

Lots of shots of Megumi's face here with her mask of impassiveness broken, reversing the trend throughout the episode.

6yQrhqH.jpg

The expressionwork throughout this climax is masterful but there's a particular sequence here where just watching Kimari's face you can see three or four different thoughts shoot through her just based on her reactions alone.

The moment of release is here, the two of them finally caught in a hug as the music swells, Megu almost reflexively reaching out to Kimari as she rejects the break-up, both of them bathed in the warm light. There's several cuts to the other characters before this just to keep you on the tenterhooks the whole time.

6Nisj9k.jpg

wwHe8JJ.jpg

7JdDCvH.jpg

Also I'm a huge sucker for the way this metaphor from the beginning of the episode is revisited here... or perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that the imagery at the beginning is revealed as a metaphor, but with the context made direct and obvious by Kimari's narration.

eGxFnXd.jpg

Anyway, it feels like each episode so far there's been a god damn climax which let me tell you is kind of exhausting and I'm probably not going to effortpost for each one. But it's fun to do a basic breakdown once in a while.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I wanted to do a bit of an effortpost on A Place Further Than The Universe 5. It'll be fairly basic I think but what the hell.

The central point of this episode is (spoiler alert) Megumi and Kimari's relationship of dependence and of Megumi not wanting to let Kimari go to Antarctica but not really knowing how to express it except through sabotage. To this end there's lots and lots of disquieting imagery used throughout to give a sense of wrongness to Megumi, though her truth isn't fully revealed until the climax of the episode (naturally).

iL3xCcw.jpg

inTLMRA.jpg

Even before the OP starts up there's a stark contrast between the scenes with Shirase and Kimari and with Megumi and Kimari just in the simple tones of the lighting (though the latter also has the standard 'flashbacks are super overexposed' effect going). It's also worth noting that while Kimari and her other friends are often extremely physically affectionate, Megumi is always apart from Kimari in physical distance. In the flashback, too, she spends much of it standing over her.

And in the video game scene, Megu isn't playing games with Kimari, she's just watching her, narrowing her eyes and throwing a cutting remark when Kimari reminds her this is one of the few things that Kimari was ever better at Megumi at.

OPMXMEe.jpg

SdXZZh2.jpg

ijHO3CK.jpg

Worth noting that the game characters resemble the two of them.

gBnjmzX.jpg

ZoRNMDy.jpg

A couple of close ups of Megu's face just for brief moments that really others her from the viewer, especially when she's referring to Shirase as "Antarctica", which is fairly telling.

There's a little sequence at the end of the video game scene which pretty much tells you what you need to know about the whole episode in minature, with a close-up on Megu eying the power cord and then 'tripping' over it, though for my money the real bit is when Kimari responds with an emphatic 'yup' to Megu's suggestion and Megumi immediately thinks about the sheepish Kimari from episode 1 - again, it's pretty much the entire setup for the episode in about three or four shots. Anyway, I thought the whole sequence was quite well done, with the music building and building and building and then straight silence, and letting the cable drop.

The next major relationship scene is in the park after Kimari's fairwell. Even as Kimari is saying goodbye to unnamed generic classmates in the classroom, Megu is sitting by herself looking on, and only forces a smile when Kimari looks her way. In the park afterwards, Megumi takes it upon herself to fill Kimari in on some disquieting rumours.

kY9grWO.jpg

2jJozDZ.jpg

It's this shot here that really struck me - it's very basic, but again it sums up so much about the episode with that simple framing. Megumi and Kimari are conversing but they're separated hugely in physical space and not even really facing one another. Kimari has wandered out into the light and is warmly lit; Megu by contrast is in shadow and hemmed in by the wood of the shrine waiting spot.

nUG6nYs.jpg

ufIjcSH.jpg

Even when we cut for more cut-in shots we see Kimari's full face in the light, but we only see Megumi's back (from Kimari's POV, more or less). The dialogue is all a hint for the reveal, by the way, since she's gauging Kimari's reactions and trying to get her to stay behind in a gesture she knows is futile.

Frm1O1P.jpg

When Megu comes out to the light she still doesn't really approach Kimari; I get the impression she wants Kimari to come to her.

oUik9k9.jpg

6DeDjxh.jpg

When Hinata and Shirase show up, Megumi more or less loses control of the situation; she only knows how to deal with Kimari. Here the light/shadow and distance vocabulary is reused, but with Hinata facing the three of them, it comes off across as the 'adult' giving advice to the kids more than anything else.

Anyway, the rest of the outing is fairly in line, with Megumi a bit out of focus since she's just 'there' compared to the more forceful personalities of everybody else. She does get a good bit in karaoke:

jTyYfhC.jpg

Sort of showing that she can release the tension if she needs to, as well as being a good comedic beat to force Shirase into doing her thing as well.

On the walk home, with the gathering night we get a good reuse of the shadows, with Megumi again shown from the shadow side and Kimari lit by the light of the window

AzjlCXc.jpg

DzZd52L.jpg

jfV5WLK.jpg

There's some really nice shots at various distances as Kimari spills her feelings to Megumi, who doesn't really respond to them here and now, including this rather good distorted mirror shot. Worth noting that they're both in the light now as they face things that have been on the down low.

SRddAZh.jpg

34eUrvE.jpg

Megu gets a text from Kimari as she walks home. The glow of the screen and the moody lighting of the streets provides some really interesting shadows to highlight Megumi's 'aloneness'.

IBB62J6.jpg

scv0HAj.jpg

Worth noting the camera lingers on this last still shot for about 7 seconds without any movement or sound other than crickets.

Here we come to the climax of the episode, Megumi finally working up the courage to tell Kimari everything about her betrayal, about her wanting to keep her there, mother her, make herself feel useful by making Kimari never feel competant. This whole bit here is set up directly after the warmth of Kimari's family saying goodbye which is drenched in warm colours and warm feelings. Hell, the background noise is still that of the early morning birds, though it saves the BGM until the contrast with the warm guitars and innocent voice can really really highlight the emotional breakdown.

RZTkOPS.jpg

This image by itself, even without dialogue, tells a whole story - Megumi's hesitance, the light diffusing across the scene, it's just a really effective setup shot.

xlnmqJv.jpg

Megumi is background lit throughout this scene by the rising sun - still in shadow, but highlighted in warmth. Possibly the first genuine smile you see all episode, matched with severely painful dialogue.

vCirQpp.jpg

Another story-in-a-shot moment. The weight of the image is all on the left with the bulk of the tree, leaving Megumi a lonely and stark figure , who stands out in good contrast against her background.

HeclhP4.jpg

EVHZO2K.jpg

Lots of shots of Megumi's face here with her mask of impassiveness broken, reversing the trend throughout the episode.

6yQrhqH.jpg

The expressionwork throughout this climax is masterful but there's a particular sequence here where just watching Kimari's face you can see three or four different thoughts shoot through her just based on her reactions alone.

The moment of release is here, the two of them finally caught in a hug as the music swells, Megu almost reflexively reaching out to Kimari as she rejects the break-up, both of them bathed in the warm light. There's several cuts to the other characters before this just to keep you on the tenterhooks the whole time.

6Nisj9k.jpg

wwHe8JJ.jpg

7JdDCvH.jpg

Also I'm a huge sucker for the way this metaphor from the beginning of the episode is revisited here... or perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that the imagery at the beginning is revealed as a metaphor, but with the context made direct and obvious by Kimari's narration.

eGxFnXd.jpg

Anyway, it feels like each episode so far there's been a god damn climax which let me tell you is kind of exhausting and I'm probably not going to effortpost for each one. But it's fun to do a basic breakdown once in a while.

giphy.gif

Well now I have to go watch this after that terrific breakdown, thank you good sir/madam.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if Seraph of the End is so bad it's good or just bad, period.
It's OK if you like gay vampires, but the anime's first season is abyssal.

Read the manga and check out the tenth episode of the second for the best scene in the series.

Want to watch a so bad its good anime. Something legendarily bad. Any recommendations?

Watch this:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34368/Vatican_Kiseki_Chousakan

DON'T look for spoilers and watch the first 4 episodes in a row.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How great is AoT? Finished watching thre... Two and a half seasons in like a week and half, or two weeks. I caught a few minutes of an episode here and there when it was airing on Toonami, but I always thought it looked boring... Didn't help that I was watching stuff from the middle without any context. There's some stuff that bugs me about it... Mainly Eren losing 95% of his battles, but overall it's a great series.

Would love to see that studio adapt Berserk.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Demon Slayer 3

Ok so it's moving along. Hopefully that means it won't take long to get good.

We Never Learn 3

Pretty funny. There's nothing really special about this show, but it's on Hulu so it's easy for me to keep up with it.

Saga of Tanya the Evil 1-12

Woah. I wasn't expecting this to be awesome. I only watched it because I'm trying to watch all the shows that are represented in Isekai Quartet. Had only watched Konosuba so I recently watched Re:zero and now this. Love all 3, but this one really surprised me. No generic medieval RPG fantasy setting to pander to gamerz and not too many obnoxious anime tropes in general. I enjoy history so this alt history with magic setting was a blast. I need more shows like this.

Now to watch Overlord.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I wanted to do a bit of an effortpost on A Place Further Than The Universe 5.

niiice. Gonna start indoctrinating some friends with the YoriMoi scripture next week

I think Ishizuka said somewhere that she intentionally wanted every episode to feel like a finale and it definitely comes across that way

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Saga of Tanya the Evil 1-12

Woah. I wasn't expecting this to be awesome. I only watched it because I'm trying to watch all the shows that are represented in Isekai Quartet. Had only watched Konosuba so I recently watched Re:zero and now this. Love all 3, but this one really surprised me. No generic medieval RPG fantasy setting to pander to gamerz and not too many obnoxious anime tropes in general. I enjoy history so this alt history with magic setting was a blast. I need more shows like this.

Now to watch Overlord.

there's a movie coming theaters next month if you're NA

also, your'e going to watch all three seasons of overlord? it's basically a generic medieval RPG fantasy setting to pander to gamerz, but aside from the first ep there aren't obnoxious anime tropes, the opposite of what you just watched lol

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
there's a movie coming theaters next month if you're NA

also, your'e going to watch all three seasons of overlord? it's basically a generic medieval RPG fantasy setting to pander to gamerz, but aside from the first ep there aren't obnoxious anime tropes, the opposite of what you just watched lol

I'm planning on watching the movie in theaters with my nephew. He watched Tanya right before me as he is also trying to watch all 4 shows (just doing them in a different order as me). We are hyped to go see it.

I can tolerate the RPG fantasy stuff. It just gets annoying that there's so much of it compared to other ideas for fantasy settings.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on watching the movie in theaters with my nephew. He watched Tanya right before me as he is also trying to watch all 4 shows (just doing them in a different order as me). We are hyped to go see it.

I can tolerate the RPG fantasy stuff. It just gets annoying that there's so much of it compared to other ideas for fantasy settings.

oh nice, i'm also hyped for the movie. having avengers and pokemon come out in the weeks before makes the wait a lot easier though

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 14

This can be difficult to watch more often than not but the ongoing drama can be gripping in terms of the text and the visuals.

As always there's drama brewing on multiple sides of Versailles, the show's attempts to sympathise with Marie Antoinette doesn't always work but it's a fairly decent job overall. It's clear that she is naive, easily mislead by those with sinister intentions but she as a person cares when the opportunity appears. There's the Nobility of course, their role cannot be understated. Unfortunately Antoinette definitely fails to understand the gravity of her role and as the show itself said, she believes her happiness reflects that of her people. There's actually reason to believe this notion, as per one of her visits to the suburbs of Paris, she took the orchestrated sense of celebration as adoration towards her, which may have been partly true as the people of Paris hoped their lives would change once she became the Queen of France. Alas.

Oscar is such a fantastic person, maybe because she is fictional but she is not perfect. She does come to realise her own inability and ignorance. Whether and how she makes up for it remains to be seen, given what's coming. She's certainly making her move but there's too much in her way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.