• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i laugh every time i see 'do you love your mum and her two-hit multi-target attacks'. it's this perfect bit of absurd jargon that makes me temporarily forget that the light novel is probably some incest garbo

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 56

So while Hibiki is a possessive yandere, Alicia is just a dick who wants to drive away her Friend for likely understandable, but still stupid reasons. Am I supposed to believe they're a threat to either Love Me Tear or Pure Palette? Still, pretty good episode actually, as Hibiki has some good drama for having no idea what to do. Even for a hotshot idol, sneaking into a princess's castle is a bit above her. Should've called in a favor from Karen, who has already weaseled her way into Alicia's country. I'd complain about being blueballed on a space performance, but the Star Wars parody audition was fun. Also even more gay than usual. That director knows what's up, bringing in Japan's top 4 idols to his movie. Crazy times ahead with illegal espionage coming up soon.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Do you love your mom and her two-hit multi-target attacks? new visual:

F1dIbgq.jpg

I guess this a harem + mom anime?

And why the hell is the young girl on the left wearing two belts?

I read somewhere the mom is basically just trying to set her son up with a girlfriend, and that's where the harem comes from lol

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Gundam Origin 1
This is like the series version of the movie, right? I never got to see the movie so I'm happy Crunchyroll got this as a series. I sure would have been massively lost if I hadn't watched '79 already.
This is why I'll never understand why some people want to watch series in "chronological" order instead of release order.
This kind of production caters to the established fandom, not first time viewers even if it depicts the very beginning of the events that lead to the One Year War (prologue of Unicorn with the start of Universal Century excluded).

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'll never understand why some people want to watch series in "chronological" order instead of release order.
This kind of production caters to the established fandom, not first time viewers even if it depicts the very beginning of the events that lead to the One Year War (prologue of Unicorn with the start of Universal Century excluded).

It's an interesting experiment, I imagine. Not everyone starts with production order in practice. But if you really wanted to start with the Origin, the manga itself does a better job. It builds up to the flashback arc, rather than beginning with that.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Can I watch Unicorn after this one? I've only seen 79 and IBO.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
It's an interesting experiment, I imagine. Not everyone starts with production order in practice. But if you really wanted to start with the Origin, the manga itself does a better job. It builds up to the flashback arc, rather than beginning with that.
Yes, I'm in the middle of reading the manga (volume 7) and I haven't made it yet to the flashback. One advantage of the manga is that it's a slower affair and you can take your time or easily go back a few pages when there's some reference that is hard to follow compared to an animated episode.

Can I watch Unicorn after this one? I've only seen 79 and IBO.
Technically, I believe you can because the story is mostly self-contained but the amount of assumed knowledge and references that are easy to miss is still quite high. Ideally, you should at least watch Zeta (not the movies), ZZ and Char's Counterattack but that's a huge time commitment.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Yes, I'm in the middle of reading the manga (volume 7) and I haven't made it yet to the flashback. One advantage of the manga is that it's a slower affair and you can take your time or easily go back a few pages when there's some reference that is hard to follow compared to an animated episode.

Technically, I believe you can because the story is mostly self-contained but the amount of assumed knowledge and references that are easy to miss is still quite high. Ideally, you should at least watch Zeta (not the movies), ZZ and Char's Counterattack but that's a huge time commitment.
Right, good to know. I'll try and at least watch War in a Pocket.

Code Geass R2 8
I was about to yell that the Brits could just shoot the whole audience again but they at least made the solution of exile more plausible with Susucku in charge. Also, the dog had a helmet!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dororo the last four or so episodes
Not sure what the hell went down with this anime after the intro and end changed. Everything seems to be worse, the animation, the direction etc all became bad or medicore. Only saving grace so far is the story being interesting.

A shame really, first half was really good and made me very hyped for each monday but now I am only watching for the story itself. Could have been GOTY but I guess not.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, thanks. Are these good enough shows to watch for mindless fun?

short answer, yes

ryo ohki, the first half is excellent, the second half is a different genre basically, still good, but different
universe, solid if you liked ryo ohki
tokyo, solid if you really like the characters
gxp, this is probably the mindless fun you're talking about
ai, weird because it's like 50 shorts, but it was cool for what it is

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Dororo the last four or so episodes
Not sure what the hell went down with this anime after the intro and end changed. Everything seems to be worse, the animation, the direction etc all became bad or medicore. Only saving grace so far is the story being interesting.

A shame really, first half was really good and made me very hyped for each monday but now I am only watching for the story itself. Could have been GOTY but I guess not.

Yeah the first arc ep. (1-13) was amazing I loved the OP. Now ep. 14 - current something feels off about the plot and animation at times. I need to read into the production of the series once it's all wrapped up.

Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond Act II Episode 7

tumblr_prhs2dgZZz1qg4jrho1_500.gif

My ACE is the best ACE. I love you Mei! I love you ItsukiMei! best battery.

tumblr_pri5rbSrl01r1kt8w_540.jpg

Really epic episode and I love how its like even the ace's arent perfect

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Goku Midnight Eye is art and should be in a museum, but Crunchyroll will do for now.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Thanks!! My girlfriend and I have been watching more and more anime together, and she's really starting to get into anime as a medium in general. I'm putting together a watch list of the genre's she likes to help fill in the time since we just got current on JJBA and there's a whole week to wait before the next Freek'n Friday. I just introduced her to Code Geass and she's eating up all of the plot intrigues and character developments.

Is there any other shows that focus on more plot intrigue or characters, with a cast of characters that aren't protected by plot armor (Or at least don't seem like they are) that keep you on an emotional roller coaster? I know that sounds vague, but here's a couple I was thinking:
  • The Heroic Legend of Arslan
  • Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes
  • Kingdom

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Is there any other shows that focus on more plot intrigue or characters, with a cast of characters that aren't protected by plot armor (Or at least don't seem like they are) that keep you on an emotional roller coaster? I know that sounds vague, but here's a couple I was thinking:
If you don't mind a grounded drama with amazing characters, try March Comes in Like a Lion but do know that it doesn't have any action fights. Oh boy you're in for an emotional roller coaster (yes I did ignore some of the things you asked for).

For plot intrigue, I can recommend Made in Abyss. It excels at lore and world building, but I must warn you that it has some incredibly disgusting elements to it in the bad sense (sexualization of kids).

Attack On Titan doesn't really have good characters, at the very least the leading trio aren't, but it makes up for it with incredibly interesting world building and lore, with some great animations that add to the entertainment.

You'll probably like Re:Zero for the plot. It's very interesting for the most part and has an interesting and refreshing take on the isekai genre.

That will probably do for now.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
If you don't mind a grounded drama with amazing characters, try March Comes in Like a Lion but do know that it doesn't have any action fights. Oh boy you're in for an emotional roller coaster (yes I did ignore some of the things you asked for).

For plot intrigue, I can recommend Made in Abyss. It excels at lore and world building, but I must warn you that it has some incredibly disgusting elements to it in the bad sense (sexualization of kids).

Attack On Titan doesn't really have good characters, at the very least the leading trio aren't, but it makes up for it with incredibly interesting world building and lore, with some great animations that add to the entertainment.

You'll probably like Re:Zero for the plot. It's very interesting for the most part and has an interesting and refreshing take on the isekai genre.

That will probably do for now.

All good ones I've heard about but haven't gotten around to! I'll take a look! Attack on Titan is a show I've always meant to get into so that helps too, thank you!

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!! My girlfriend and I have been watching more and more anime together, and she's really starting to get into anime as a medium in general. I'm putting together a watch list of the genre's she likes to help fill in the time since we just got current on JJBA and there's a whole week to wait before the next Freek'n Friday. I just introduced her to Code Geass and she's eating up all of the plot intrigues and character developments.

• Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Kingdom

Just gonna throw Yamato 2199 out there as a suggestion since there's a fair bit of intrigue on both sides of the conflict.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

• Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Kingdom

Shinsekai Yori maybe? Not action-based at all but it's one long burn of lore with pretty solid characters. I like Made in Abyss but I'd be wary of recommending it to someone who's fairly new to the medium

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
One-Punch Man 2 06

No less than 7 times did I think to myself "seriously why does this suck so much"

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
One-Punch Man 2 06

No less than 7 times did I think to myself "seriously why does this suck so much"

This entire part of the story was why I was wishing we'd gotten another all start team of animators together as storywise its just kind of there but I was hoping the visuals would be amazing enough to make it worthwhile. Does not seem to be the case with this adaptation sadly. The crazy thing to think about is the anime has been speeding through material and it still seems slow.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

• Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Kingdom
A recent show is The Promised Neverland, though only a few episodes of the dub are out yet. It's also only one season of an ongoing story.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

• Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Kingdom

Emotional Rollar Coaster you say:
Clannad

Also, I second the March Comes Like a Lion Rec

give Sword Art Online a watch

Other recs:
Yona of the Dawn
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Angel Beats

Oct 25, 2017
Carole 'n Snoozeday 05

Its fine I guess whatever.

Dragon Ball Z Movie 1 - Dead Zone (Dragon Ball Z Ora no Gohan o Kaese!)

Heres my re-eval of Dead Zone - its good and late DB/early Z Piccolo and Goku kick ass. You forget what old "anime" movies are like. This is barely 40 minutes long and that is including the OP and ED! If you ever wondered how they pumped out so many Dragon Ball movies (two a year) for so long thats how. Not to say it doesn't look movie quality, Dead Zone easily looks better then the best of the early Z episodes.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

• Le Chevalier D'Eon
  • Kingdom
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a good grounded drama that will take you on an emotional roller coaster.

Land of the Lustrous is a good pick as well, although it's unclear if we'll ever get more adapted or not, and the manga is still ongoing and is regularly getting released in English.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Rising of the Shield Hero episode 18

How does it feel, Myne, to get stabbed in the back? HOW DOES IT FEEL?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Code Geass R2 9
Mina, why are you still around? The child bride stuff was also pretty uncomfortable.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rascal and Bunny Senpai movie trailer:

https://reddit.app.link/0hVOrxxp3V

I don't know how you link video from reddit
Sakuta better not fuck up his relationship with Bunny girl. I actually can't remember her name lmao
W'z Episode 8
tumblr_pneysesY131scr8d9o3_540.gif

I wish they did the full performance with all the visual flare, but it was nice seeing Yukiya DJ as himself instead of as W'z. Pretty epic as usual. The song always makes me want to get up and dance...

Lies all around. Even when characters finally resolve to come true they still lie. Sad for Haruka as she had the perfect chance to tell Yukiya how she felt but she left him abandoned on the roof waiting.

Koyori remains as sweet as a button as she gives Haruka the tip she needs to try to make things right.
tumblr_pneymuH8301scr8d9o3_540.gif

Also lol at the background middle schoolers.
tumblr_pneyptgRCC1scr8d9o2_540.gif

What's this anime about? The gifs interested me and the last one made me laugh.
I watched Clannad recently the shows a masterpiece. If anyone here hasn't seen it make sure you watch it, just know that the show starts of really slow and some of the things they talk about seem dumb, hang in there it's a slow burn and know that everything builds up for the huge payoffs that happen at the end. Also the music is ridiculously good.
Show was a masterpiece, thinking about giving it a rewatch.
Sometimes Yonkou makes good posts on twitter lol

This what I hate about certain adaptations. I prefer watching than reading and when they end on a cliffhanger or don't end at a good point it has me like 🤬
It has some more material left, but the general consensus is that we're unsure if it's enough for a S3.
Should I just give in and read the manga at this point?

Well, they're not 100% wrong with major issue at work environment - It's sad, but true.

damn the animation industry is fucked up! Working all those long hours+ot with no pay, that's no way to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.