• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Well, it IS one of the most popular shows ever for thr casuals out there. Hardcore anime fans may hate it, but there's a reason why it's so popular.
If one asks for recommendations in a thread where anime aficionados post, the expectation is to get recommended series that they like. Casual stuff will be mentioned but the derision is bound to appear.
If one is looking for series that fit the casual taste maybe checking a Crunchyroll ranking poll would be more effective.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Well, it IS one of the most popular shows ever for thr casuals out there. Hardcore anime fans may hate it, but there's a reason why it's so popular.

I don't mind SAO, and on paper I should like it, The first 12 Episodes aren't too bad, and the GGO isn't either. We just ignore and don't talk about the Fairy arc. At all.

I do wholly recommend watching Log Horizon if you want an earlier Isekai that did it right, and is actualy really great.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Saga of Tanya the Evil 1-12

Decided to binge this show since the movie is gonna air in theaters on Thursday and god damn this was intense. Really enjoyed it. I also like how they didn't shy away from showing how fucked up everything was during WW1 to make it more marketable, and that's despite it being an Isekai with a cute loli protag.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

And why does Rascal translate to Pig? I translated the tweet and Rascal translated to Pig.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
disney is embracing isekai :P

to be fair Star vs the forces of evil was already mostly an isekai but still :P

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Easter and Sunday #4

XgrQ7Dw.jpg

Holy shit Bender from Futurama literally saved this anime.

Oct 25, 2017

Alright dub that honestly grew on me, really only failings was a few animation moments seemed kind of wonky to me, but otherwise kind of enjoyed it. Hope more Mechaude gets made as I loved the mechanical arms concept and the cast easily grew on me as well. Two main lead characters were especially great and entertaining.

Comedy moments were really lol all of the time. I love silly robots in media, They are a breath of fresh air and always make the best comments at the worst of times.

Great anime.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have guesses as to when the I Want To Eat Your Pancreas anime will be available on Blu-ray in the states? I see that it had a two night showing in some US theaters in February and that the Japanese Blu-ray release was early April, but A Silent Voice took like a fucking year or whatever after its theater event showings to release for purchase, so I don't want to get my hopes up.

I read the manga yesterday and I still cry every time I think of it. I want to see the film so bad. (Well, not the live action one...)

Last edited:

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have guesses as to when the I Want To Eat Your Pancreas anime will be available on Blu-ray in the states? I see that it had a two night showing in some US theaters in February and that the Japanese Blu-ray release was early April, but A Silent Voice took like a fucking year or whatever after its theater event showings to release for purchase, so I don't want to get my hopes up.

I read the manga yesterday and I still cry every time I think of it. I want to see the film so bad. (Well, not the live action one...)

If it isn't announced yet, it'll probably come up during cons the next month or two. It'll probably be Aniplex of America though so $.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Donno if this is the right place to talk old anime but YouTube recommended me this video of Rie Fu playing Life is Like a Boat a few months ago which was the first or second Bleach ending:

Really took me back to the days when I was in high school telling everyone how Bleach and Naruto were totally awesome.

Anyone else have fond memories for the early days of Bleach?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Bleach begins with an arc that is good and the rest is mostly trash. The good/bad ratio is more or less the same as something like Aldnoah Zero. The difference being that Aldnoah Zero was much shorter so I wasted less of my time.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
If anyone's curious, Carole & Tuesday looks like it's animating the piano and guitar playing to be accurate with the songs. I'm not aware of any other anime doing this correctly besides Sound Eupho

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
honestly urban mystery detective bleach was dope. hell i would allow even like half of soul society was okay.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone's curious, Carole & Tuesday looks like it's animating the piano and guitar playing to be accurate with the songs. I'm not aware of any other anime doing this correctly besides Sound Eupho

I thiiiiiiiink Beck did it, for the close-ups at least. But, yo, I don't play - I only know a few chords, and I haven't even practised those in years - so they could be completely off for all I know.

Also, man, I gotta rewatch Beck.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
then someone needs to go watch Nodame.
it was horrid CG at times but it was for the most part accurate if I recall right.

I think Kids on the slope was also mostly accurate, and maybe your lie in april (less sure on april)?

shouldn't be surprising with Kids though since that was also Watanabe.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
then someone needs to go watch Nodame.
it was horrid CG at times but it was for the most part accurate if I recall right.

I think Kids on the slope was also mostly accurate, and maybe your lie in april (less sure on april)?

shouldn't be surprising with Kids though since that was also Watanabe.

kids was really obviously rotoscoped as hell to me... not that that's a huge probklem but i remember thinking it really stood out

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
kids was really obviously rotoscoped as hell to me... not that that's a huge probklem but i remember thinking it really stood out
Isn't all (or almost all?) realistic musical instrument playing animated through some degree of rotoscoping?
I was under the impression that it is hell to animate otherwise. Including animators that can play an instrument, even worse if they cannot.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I thiiiiiiiink Beck did it, for the close-ups at least. But, yo, I don't play - I only know a few chords, and I haven't even practised those in years - so they could be completely off for all I know.

I wish this had gotten a second season so the rest of the manga could have been adapted.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't all (or almost all?) realistic musical instrument playing animated through some degree of rotoscoping?
I was under the impression that it is hell to animate otherwise. Including animators that can play an instrument, even worse if they cannot.

oh absolutely. Finger movements are fucking crazy. I just recall it standing out a lot in apollon.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

Still one of my favorite anime ever. I still have it's ( amazing ) ost on my phone.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
It's troubling that someone would suggest this is unqiue and I want Carole and Tuesday apologists to know that they've gone too far. Additionally, technical accuracy is not inherently a sign of a well presented musical performance in the context of cinema. Carole and Tuesday uses tons of blocking and cutaways during its musical numbers without even accounting for how the character art seems to take on a particularly melted quality during the sequences.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 19

It's seems pretty obvious they are going to kick this pope's ass despite his big attack at the end. That said hearing Naofumi tell off the rest of the heroes felt good as well.

Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin 06

I feel like that foreshadowed MC's friend getting kidnapped way too hard for that to surprise me at the end.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
this weeks Senko has them picking up switch sized cases with nintendo parody covers and then they stick a disk in a ps4 and play smash

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Senko-san 06

Shiro personality > Senko personality. Happy to see the manga artist lady is getting more screentime.

Oct 25, 2017
Sarazanmai Episode 6

Haru should have been shredded, no way can he be forgiven for what he did and said to the mom way back when and how that one thing put Kazuki's life like it was for years.

Loved seeing everyone working together and enta finally having relevance. Still Kuji continues to be the MVP here best part was not even letting the kappa finish before he was already grabbing it and kicking it away, lol.

I live for Enta's fantasies. (not my pairingsince Kuji Kazu has better chemistry).

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Carole and Tuesday 06

This soundtrack's gonna be legendary. Fucking Thundercat man

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Carole & Tuesday - 6
03hE3x7l.jpg

I really liked this episode. It's a shame the animation production for this is such a mess, it's Watanabe's worst show visually. In fact outside of Soul Eater Not, this is BONES' worst looking show since the mid 2000s. They're dumping their efforts into the performances which is the right call but even those aren't as crisp as I would like them to be. I hope that the 2nd cour is split and they delay it to polish things. It's just so rough around the edges production-wise.

Also Thundercat sounds completely different from his Japanese VA. lol

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Gay Frogs 6

Z8knSba.jpg

Without a doubt the best episode for now. Without the usual re-used footage the story actually advanced at a normal pace (Maybe even too fast).

Oct 25, 2017
Carole & Tuesday - 6
03hE3x7l.jpg

I really liked this episode. It's a shame the animation production for this is such a mess, it's Watanabe's worst show visually. In fact outside of Soul Eater Not, this is BONES' worst looking show since the mid 2000s. They're dumping their efforts into the performances which is the right call but even those aren't as crisp as I would like them to be. I hope that the 2nd cour is split and they delay it to polish things. It's just so rough around the edges production-wise.

Also Thundercat sounds completely different from his Japanese VA. lol

Maybe you have some example you're thinking of, but I don't think I've ever seen a situation in which a split-cour or other mid-airing delay has allowed a TV series to notably improve its visuals. It might keep the visuals from deteriorating as much as they would with no delay, but improving the overall visual quality seems unlikely. (Now there is the case of getting a visual boost by deliberately sacrificing the quality of earlier episodes so resources can be concentrated on later ones, or of special staff on singular episodes creating something noticably better looking than the rest of the show, but those aren't the result of delays.)

In Carole and Tuesday's case, I suspect most of what you are reacting negatively to is the result of deliberate choices made in pre-production, rather than anything that can be fixed given more production time.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sarazanmai 6

Extra gay frogs this week. Fantastic episode. The scene with Kazuki running towards Haruka in the dark was excellent and hit the emotions just right.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad to see Sarazanmai moving forward with the plot. First twist of the show, I think? Or major one, should I say? Disappointed that we didn't get to see Kazuki dramatically carrying Haru back home Tokyo Ghoul (end season 2?) style. Dororo was less great than usual, but still a show I get to look forward to, and, for that, I'm thankful. Poor Carole and Tuesday. But this will make them stronger. You go girls.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Maybe you have some example you're thinking of, but I don't think I've ever seen a situation in which a split-cour or other mid-airing delay has allowed a TV series to notably improve its visuals. It might keep the visuals from deteriorating as much as they would with no delay, but improving the overall visual quality seems unlikely. (Now there is the case of getting a visual boost by deliberately sacrificing the quality of earlier episodes so resources can be concentrated on later ones, or of special staff on singular episodes creating something noticably better looking than the rest of the show, but those aren't the result of delays.)

In Carole and Tuesday's case, I suspect most of what you are reacting negatively to is the result of deliberate choices made in pre-production, rather than anything that can be fixed given more production time.
Character animation being offmodel definitely could be fixed with more production time.

Also there are a number of shows that looked better coming off a break or delay. Significantly? Eh but they look crisper for sure, one is E7 AO.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 19.

You tell em Naofumi. A lot of talking this episode in fact so much talking it literally allowed the Pope to charge his weapon lol

Status
Not open for further replies.