• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
note: these were writeups I made at airing time that I'm just now getting around to cleaning up into a coherent post so some theories have already been proven/disproven. better late than never, though. images in spoiler tags cause they're big

sarazanmai #02-03

- one of ikuhara's most recognizable directing trademarks is the contrast between his distinctly human characters and the cruel dystopian worlds that they reside in. penguindrum and yurikuma owed much of this contrast to art director chieko nakamura, who evokes argento and hitchcock with her unsettling, angled designs. however, both series also take a different approach to the home setting, grounding its characters with a setting that exudes familiarity and warmth unlike anywhere else in these worlds.

B2aUg2pIUAESDPT.jpg

vqqf48l.png

anyway, this is interesting because sarazanmai so far seems to be taking the complete opposite approach, depicting all of asakusa with the same warmth afforded to the takakura home. at least on a surface level, the households of sarazanmai are so far some of the most complete family units ikuhara has depicted - neither kazuki nor enta's households have the ominous sense of emptiness of kureha's deserted house or the incompleteness of the parentless takakura home. in fact, ikuhara seems to have made it a point to depict the parental units of both households as actual characters and not generic toilet icons, suggesting that these family units may form important connections later on.

unknown.png

dCdyUax.jpg

the glaring exception here so far is toi, whose troubled past is already being heavily hinted. it's possible ikuhara's sense of the dystopian and horror influences will start to take shape in his story arc, in a contrast to the other two. I think it's also plausible that ikuhara has done a role reversal here, setting up the entire real world as the characters' "home base" where everything feels lived-in and warm so that the online world of social media and its temporary connections becomes the true dystopia, as in the exclusion ceremony of yurikuma. with the constant appearance of the A logo and smartphones, a look at how the internet has changed our notion of connection might be coming soon. this idea is also hinted in tao tajima's juxtaposition of animated characters and real-life backgrounds for the ED - again, the internet obscuring human connection through the disconnect between the characters and the world they're depicted in.

- a new motif that's been hinted at but fully established in episode 3 is kazuki's quitting of soccer. with the revelation of his brother's disability, it's almost inevitable there's a backstory there. enta's desire to go back to the soccer days I think also creates an important chain of connections defined by the desire to live through somebody else - enta to kazuki from their golden combi days, and then kazuki in turn to his brother through the crossdressing and selfies.

- kazuki's crossdressing being presented as part of his connection with his brother I think also raises an interesting point of how our gender identities are inherently linked to the connections we make with others and how we present ourselves to society. would gender be necessary if there were no human connections? is gender even necessary if there's no society? this all feels like a broader revisiting of yurikuma's factions of the bears and the humans and how society is ultimately what defines otherness, especially in queer relationships.

- three episodes in, the role of the gay cops is still largely unknown. it seems like they're creating the zombies that our main trio have to fight, so I suppose that makes them the villains. however, we have to remember that the villain in an ikuhara series is always society itself - a possible interpretation is that as part of the extremely societal institution of cops, they're acting as personifications of the society that prevents us from connecting. I do wonder how this fits in with the actual zombies, whose desires so far have all been wildly exaggerated societal deviations. maybe some flavor of the exclusion ceremony from yuri kuma arashi on display here, although the excluded here so far all have pretty good reasons to be excluded. this is a bit at odds with ikuhara's penchant for depicting underrepresented subgroups - as ikuhara tropes come and go, they might be closer to the exaggerated villains of the fairytales that he frequently incorporates.

- episode 3's zombie fight used a lot of wedding imagery, depicting the spiritual battleground as the aisle with the otter (?) ghosts as flower girls. ikuhara seems to be drawing attention to how our society treats marriage as the ultimate connection and views lust as a vice, which keith (the zombie) seems to exemplify. the wedding aisle alongside a zombie whose temptation seems to be for girls is an interesting contrast wrt how our desires go from lust to a sacred bond between two people depending on how it's reciprocated. this of course ties into enta's unrequited love and episode 3's title "I want to connect, but it's not meant to be." connection is all about desire but it's still a two-way street. the wedding imagery in an episode centering on a gay boy's crush also seems like ikuhara is taking aim at societal ideas of "marriage between a man and a woman," which is probably more present in japan these days than in the US.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
note: these were writeups I made at airing time that I'm just now getting around to cleaning up into a coherent post so some theories have already been proven/disproven. better late than never, though. images in spoiler tags cause they're big

sarazanmai #02-03

- one of ikuhara's most recognizable directing trademarks is the contrast between his distinctly human characters and the cruel dystopian worlds that they reside in. penguindrum and yurikuma owed much of this contrast to art director chieko nakamura, who evokes argento and hitchcock with her unsettling, angled designs. however, both series also take a different approach to the home setting, grounding its characters with a setting that exudes familiarity and warmth unlike anywhere else in these worlds.

B2aUg2pIUAESDPT.jpg

vqqf48l.png

anyway, this is interesting because sarazanmai so far seems to be taking the complete opposite approach, depicting all of asakusa with the same warmth afforded to the takakura home. at least on a surface level, the households of sarazanmai are so far some of the most complete family units ikuhara has depicted - neither kazuki nor enta's households have the ominous sense of emptiness of kureha's deserted house or the incompleteness of the parentless takakura home. in fact, ikuhara seems to have made it a point to depict the parental units of both households as actual characters and not generic toilet icons, suggesting that these family units may form important connections later on.

unknown.png

dCdyUax.jpg

the glaring exception here so far is toi, whose troubled past is already being heavily hinted. it's possible ikuhara's sense of the dystopian and horror influences will start to take shape in his story arc, in a contrast to the other two. I think it's also plausible that ikuhara has done a role reversal here, setting up the entire real world as the characters' "home base" where everything feels lived-in and warm so that the online world of social media and its temporary connections becomes the true dystopia, as in the exclusion ceremony of yurikuma. with the constant appearance of the A logo and smartphones, a look at how the internet has changed our notion of connection might be coming soon. this idea is also hinted in tao tajima's juxtaposition of animated characters and real-life backgrounds for the ED - again, the internet obscuring human connection through the disconnect between the characters and the world they're depicted in.

- a new motif that's been hinted at but fully established in episode 3 is kazuki's quitting of soccer. with the revelation of his brother's disability, it's almost inevitable there's a backstory there. enta's desire to go back to the soccer days I think also creates an important chain of connections defined by the desire to live through somebody else - enta to kazuki from their golden combi days, and then kazuki in turn to his brother through the crossdressing and selfies.

- kazuki's crossdressing being presented as part of his connection with his brother I think also raises an interesting point of how our gender identities are inherently linked to the connections we make with others and how we present ourselves to society. would gender be necessary if there were no human connections? is gender even necessary if there's no society? this all feels like a broader revisiting of yurikuma's factions of the bears and the humans and how society is ultimately what defines otherness, especially in queer relationships.

- three episodes in, the role of the gay cops is still largely unknown. it seems like they're creating the zombies that our main trio have to fight, so I suppose that makes them the villains. however, we have to remember that the villain in an ikuhara series is always society itself - a possible interpretation is that as part of the extremely societal institution of cops, they're acting as personifications of the society that prevents us from connecting. I do wonder how this fits in with the actual zombies, whose desires so far have all been wildly exaggerated societal deviations. maybe some flavor of the exclusion ceremony from yuri kuma arashi on display here, although the excluded here so far all have pretty good reasons to be excluded. this is a bit at odds with ikuhara's penchant for depicting underrepresented subgroups - as ikuhara tropes come and go, they might be closer to the exaggerated villains of the fairytales that he frequently incorporates.

- episode 3's zombie fight used a lot of wedding imagery, depicting the spiritual battleground as the aisle with the otter (?) ghosts as flower girls. ikuhara seems to be drawing attention to how our society treats marriage as the ultimate connection and views lust as a vice, which keith (the zombie) seems to exemplify. the wedding aisle alongside a zombie whose temptation seems to be for girls is an interesting contrast wrt how our desires go from lust to a sacred bond between two people depending on how it's reciprocated. this of course ties into enta's unrequited love and episode 3's title "I want to connect, but it's not meant to be." connection is all about desire but it's still a two-way street. the wedding imagery in an episode centering on a gay boy's crush also seems like ikuhara is taking aim at societal ideas of "marriage between a man and a woman," which is probably more present in japan these days than in the US.

Some good takes. It will be interesting to see how your opinion changes with the rest of the show. I do like the mention of the crossdressing and cop Dynamics, I think the show never pursues those aspects to a significant depth, which is a shame. I think what is great about this show is that it asks that we review our grasps on what it means to connect, desire, and love. Your effort to do this review ,given the limited information given by the show, is very indicative of the great discussions that can be had from such a deeply nuanced text.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Digimon Adventure tri 9-17 (Confession and Loss)

Now to see if my opinion diverges from everyone else. I was not a fan of Reunion and Determination. I liked Confession and Loss a lot more. No more slice of life stuff. Maybe the reboot plot wasn't great, but we got hype fights and good character moments out of it. And I'm happy they are back in the digital world. There's still a lot of nostalgia pandering going on and new girl is still not a good character, but I'm a lot happier now than I was with the first two movies.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Some good takes. It will be interesting to see how your opinion changes with the rest of the show. I do like the mention of the crossdressing and cop Dynamics, I think the show never pursues those aspects to a significant depth, which is a shame. I think what is great about this show is that it asks that we review our grasps on what it means to connect, desire, and love. Your effort to do this review ,given the limited information given by the show, is very indicative of the great discussions that can be had from such a deeply nuanced text.

I'm actually all caught up with the show, just not with writing all these, so in brief response to this: the crossdressing thing I always suspected wouldn't end up being a central element because of how much it's tied to Haruka and not Kazuki's own identity (I think I bring this up in one of the later ones). As for the cops, we're only just beginning to dig into the lore there so I wouldn't count them out yet. The whole otter empire being represented in the human world as the police definitely suggests to me that Ikuhara is using the idea of police as a representation of how society dictates what kinds of connections we're allowed to have, especially since so many of the main connections are ones that society/police would declare deviant or illegal.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I'm actually all caught up with the show, just not with writing all these, so in brief response to this: the crossdressing thing I always suspected wouldn't end up being a central element because of how much it's tied to Haruka and not Kazuki's own identity (I think I bring this up in one of the later ones). As for the cops, we're only just beginning to dig into the lore there so I wouldn't count them out yet. The whole otter empire being represented in the human world as the police definitely suggests to me that Ikuhara is using the idea of police as a representation of how society dictates what kinds of connections we're allowed to have, especially since so many of the main connections are ones that society/police would declare deviant or illegal.

I think that is a fantastic interpretation, I just hope the show does more to make that connection. A lot of Mabu/Reo scenes paint them as merely using the police as a convenient power structure to do their bidding (in itself a good commentary that police can be used that way). However, most other police in the show are represented ideallistically: having meetings to solve murders and outirght condemning abuse of power in self-defense this last episode. If anything the show points to any institution with power being used for nefarious means, but does not appear to be a particular indictment of police. It looks like next episode there may be more police, would like to see how it plays out.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I think that is a fantastic interpretation, I just hope the show does more to make that connection. A lot of Mabu/Reo scenes paint them as merely using the police as a convenient power structure to do their bidding (in itself a good commentary that police can be used that way). However, most other police in the show are represented ideallistically: having meetings to solve murders and outirght condemning abuse of power in self-defense this last episode. If anything the show points to any institution with power being used for nefarious means, but does not appear to be a particular indictment of police. It looks like next episode there may be more police, would like to see how it plays out.

This is an interesting take because it calls into question whether Mabu/Reo are part of the police/otter power structure and are thus part of the oppressors. If so, there's an interpretation that marginalized groups can also be part of the oppressors that keep others like them on the fringes of society - Yurikuma's exclusion ceremony led by a girl who dresses and presents differently seems to send the same message.

ymKKurS.png

On the other hand if we consider that the rest of the police force is innocuous and being taken advantage of by the otter empire, then your interpretation seems like the one Ikuhara intended. As far as I know police in Japan don't have the same reputation of corruption and contributing to oppression that police in the US do, so an anti-cop reading of Sarazanmai might be exclusive to western viewers.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
This is an interesting take because it calls into question whether Mabu/Reo are part of the police/otter power structure and are thus part of the oppressors. If so, there's an interpretation that marginalized groups can also be part of the oppressors that keep others like them on the fringes of society - Yurikuma's exclusion ceremony led by a girl who dresses and presents differently seems to send the same message.

ymKKurS.png

On the other hand if we consider that the rest of the police force is innocuous and being taken advantage of by the otter empire, then your interpretation seems like the one Ikuhara intended. As far as I know police in Japan don't have the same reputation of corruption and contributing to oppression that police in the US do, so an anti-cop reading of Sarazanmai might be exclusive to western viewers.

This is my reading as well(the first case ) the police are not directly the ones marginalizing the main characters and the victims, instead it is a pair of marginalized individuals co-opting police authority to do so. Then the situation become more nuanced and aligned thematically: Reo/Mabu seek people to force onto them their love/desire judgement, but they themselves are driven by desire/love. In the end the police choice for these characters serves to show that society is the one that gives the charter of acceptability and police merely enforce it; when someone co-opts the institution they can enforce a new social order, any institution with similar power would be then at risk (Reo and Mabu could have easily been portrayed as lawyers taking advantage of clients/judicial system)

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Food Wars will have a big announcement the day the manga ends

so are we getting
A. a new anime series covering the rest of the manga.
B. A stage play.
C. a new manga series called Food WarZ dealing with soma and the others traveling into space to deal with the galactic food overlord Freezer and his brother Cooler :P
Is there another series that has fallen from grace harder than this? Maybe Bleach but that's all I can think of.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
This is my reading as well(the first case ) the police are not directly the ones marginalizing the main characters and the victims, instead it is a pair of marginalized individuals co-opting police authority to do so. Then the situation become more nuanced and aligned thematically: Reo/Mabu seek people to force onto them their love/desire judgement, but they themselves are driven by desire/love. In the end the police choice for these characters serves to show that society is the one that gives the charter of acceptability and police merely enforce it; when someone co-opts the institution they can enforce a new social order, any institution with similar power would be then at risk (Reo and Mabu could have easily been portrayed as lawyers taking advantage of clients/judicial system)

Police are certainly reflective of the society that gives them power to enforce what society deems is moral, but I don't think lawyers have the same immediate lethal power that police do (#08 being the biggest example of this). Yurikuma has its three life bears in a judicial role and while it could definitely be used to reflect society, I think it's stronger there as a reflection of how the audience views and judges queer relationships.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just figured a new LN promo + not a lot of upcoming projects for KyoAni meant the adaptation might be coming sooner rather than later

The video you posted is from August 2018 though.

The anime adaptation was announced almost a year ago at this point. I'd expect it sometime in 2020 - if it were to air this fall, I'd have expected some announcement to that effect would have already been made so promotion can happen. The Violet Evergarden movie is coming out in January, so maybe Electricity Catalog in spring or summer 2020?

Hm... Maybe they'll show/announce something for it at KyoAniDo in November 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Attack on Titan Episode 55:

Oh no, I thought we had more time, I was hoping to be spared the basement this season but it looks like we will have to deal with this in earnest.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Is there another series that has fallen from grace harder than this? Maybe Bleach but that's all I can think of.
I hear there is this anime Usagi/Bunny Drop that people don't like to believe has content beyond the anime out there :P

Also, I haven't caught back up recently but Hajime no Ippo did something that caused multiple translators to drop the series overnight lol. (I'm in the camp of waiting to see if the move has a payoff worth it, but it was a ballsy move regardless lol)

KCS

Oct 27, 2017

Tokyo Ghoul I guess, which went from one of the most highly thought of series to "What the fuck is this?"
Da Capo gets an Honorable mention. Went from each season getting a pretty faithful adaption, with its first game getting a 52 episode adaptation, unheard of for a VN adaptation (even now there isn't a single VN that has had that many episodes, except Higurashi). The second game got a 26 episode adaptation. Then you have the third game, which got only a single cour full of filler that didn't even adapt the common route. It was so bad it not only killed the anime, but killed the VN franchise for 6 years.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro 58
Another excellent standalone comedy episode. Perhaps not quite as funny or relevant as the tennis episode earlier in the season, but this was still another quality one-off look at a topic that is perhaps darker than this episode wishes to address: the poisonous effect of wealth. Much like a few episodes throughout the new series, this often felt like a less mean-spirited version of The Laughing Salesman, with its heavy focus on crafting a morality tale rather than a typical episodic plot. I think the problem is that there's so much set up to the morale of the story which all takes place in the last... five minutes or so of the episode. And while there's plenty of comedy to enjoy on the way there, it does feel oddly lopsided in that it takes a LONG time for the point to wrap around and by that time there's so little time to focus on it much of the commentary feels exceptionally surface level. While I felt the tennis episode earlier this season did more with its themes and comedy than this one did, I certainly didn't mind watching it and the excellent art and animation that showcased throughout the episode certainly didn't hurt. If you happened to watch the tennis episode on my previous recommendation and enjoyed it, you'll find plenty to like here too, and it stands alone just as well. It's not on the same level, but it's a funny farce of a tale with some minor things to say about greed and how casting aside one's true self will only lead to despair.

Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? 9
And for the second episode in a row, we've somehow found a return to some of the truly stupid scenarios full of all kinds of particular kinks sure to please only the most twisted deviants. While this episode's foci will certainly narrow the appeal of the show for some, I do at least appreciate they aren't getting complacent with the scenarios as there were for a while. That said, my criticisms from a few weeks ago are still more or less consistent, even if I feel a little better about their inclusion thanks to the kind of variety on display in the scenarios and particular fetishes they're catering to at this point. However, having wrapped up two couple's stories at once, I get the feeling we're back to just one for the remainder of the series, so I do hope we don't see a repeat of what happened back with episodes three and four as that couple's story tapered off toward the end. They also seem the most plain of the four, but looks can be deceiving. I guess next week will be the indication of whether I should bail early or not as the series is entering its final arc.

Attack on Titan 55
After last week's eruption of emotion coupled with an explosion of exceptional animation, it was hard to think that anything coming after it would manage to live up to the absolute spike of quality that had come after a real dearth of top-quality material. And while certainly not getting there on an animation level as this was a more conversation-focused episode, I really loved how they handled the fallout of everything that went down at the conclusion of the last episode. The dilemma is so pointed and clear, and everyone's position is influenced by their journey as characters and their relationship to those in question that it really helps to kind of drive forward the notion of how the choice colors the trajectory of the future fight to come. There were a lot of little touches sprinkled in to remind the viewer of some things I had forgotten, like who was present for certain conversations and how that affected their mental state. It's almost a shame that this particular episode came in a season separated by a six-month split-cour delay, but kudos to the director realizing we were bound to have forgotten some important details and gently reminding us without making it feel like we're being beaten in the head with information. A lot of credit to the key animators for all the excellent facial animation this episode: combined with the voice actors putting in a hell of a performance, the emotional core of this episode came through better than any Titan episode I can remember in ages. Having not read the manga, the infamous basement being so tantalizingly close feels so unreal. I can't possibly imagine it will live up to any expectations I have of it after all the whispers about it, but I'm fascinated to find out for myself what all the hubbub has been about.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bungo Stray Dogs Episode 26-29

Hell yeah, another season of Stray Dogs, and it is as great as ever. Another flashblack arc for the first 3 episodes, but it was nice seeing how Chuuya and Dazai met, and Chuuya joining the Port Mafia. And then the next episode with Fyodor, whew. Ace got screwed badly ha ha, but too bad about the kid. Looking forward to see what plans Fyodor has.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
My interest in more Eupho depends on if Kumiko x Shuuichi becomes a thing. If yes I don't have that much interest

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Started watching Maid-sama, because of the high rating and holy macaroni is that show insufferable. The OP/ED is bad (first time i ever skipped those), characters are bland, and the MC doesnt get more tsundere, while always gets saved in the last second by the most handsome men on the planet. And are they serious with the backgrounds? lmao There is really no character development even halfway through it.

I dont know how i sustained 15 episodes of this crap.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Shingeki 55

#TeamReiner is still in this yes. Hope he comes back someday. My third fav after Eren and Jean.

Sad for bertholt what a cruel end especially after what he did with Marco back in the day and it coming back to him. Sad for his boyfriend living with this regret.

Really tense moments with making the armin decision, kinda chuckled at Levi hange and the wimpy dude talking about not giving into emotions when they were giving into their own emotions.

Glad Armin gets to join Eren as a titan shifter and similarly loved seeing Mikasa finally put all her energies towards someone who wasnt Eren for once. Excellent character development.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
AoT - 55

What a great decision to keep the (too hype) OP away this episode and go OST-less throughout most of it. Add a lot of great "broken character" voice acting and you got yourself a great mood.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God bless Netflix I can download in my phone March comes in like a lion. I'm watching more episodes now than in Crunchyroll. I like the series, but I feel it can be a bit slow... but I enjoy more when there are more side-characters.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Sarazanmai 08
Overwrought drama with a terrible amnesia plot, meh.

Though I'm actually a bit surprised Sara doesn't seem to be the end game villain I had her pegged as.

Yuri Kuma was better.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 09

What the hell was up with weirdly reused footage ? Made some moments jarring.

I'm starting to fear some of the complaints about the fights in this I've heard will come true as I wasn't very impressed with the proceedings. If all that fancy breathing thing and water effects is just for show and mc is still just swinging his sword than all this babble about stances&techniques and what not feels pointless.

Bungou Stray Dogs 33

- Ha ! All according to my keikaku !
- Ha your keikaku was part of my keikaku !
- Ha ha ! Actually, my keikaku being part of your keikaku was part of my keikaku !

*Keikakku means plan.

I dunno whether it's because of Dead Apple when Dazai's plan was particularly bullshit or just that part of his character is starting to get repetitive but it's been bothering me a bit as of late. Still, a really fun ep that kickstarts the "plot" in earnest.

Gravity man better not be falling for simple illusion.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
dont understand how its amnesia when Toi never really introduced himself to Kazuki back then, it was just some random kid passed you a ball and his anklet...

Agreed, there is no amnesia, merely the existence of a connection that one character does not seek to bring to the other(Toi) and who the other (Kazu) is too scatterbrained (to out it kindly) to realize must exist in some form. It's Drama though, just mostly felt by the audience.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Bungou Stray Dogs 33

- Ha ! All according to my keikaku !
- Ha your keikaku was part of my keikaku !
- Ha ha ! Actually, my keikaku being part of your keikaku was part of my keikaku !

*Keikakku means plan.

I dunno whether it's Dead Apple when Dazai's plan particularly bullshit or just that part of his character starting to get repetitive but it's been bothering me a bit as of late. Still, a really fun ep that kickstarts the "plot" in earnest.

Gravity man better not be falling for simple illusion.
Hard to disagree. I love this show, but I hate when Dazai's just this super genius for whom everything goes right.

This still isn't as bad as Dead Apple, at least. Fuckin' antidote pull FFS.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Hard to disagree. I love this show, but I hate when Dazai's just this super genius for whom everything goes right.

This still isn't as bad as Dead Apple, at least. Fuckin' antidote pull FFS.

But he's so cool, can't hate him. I mean they did just incapacitate him so he can't just stop the ability afflicting these guys. I need more Jinko time this season though!

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Digimon Adventure tri 18-21 (Coexistence)

It was inevitable, but the story is now trying force TaixMei to be a thing.

Feels like the memory loss doesn't even matter anymore. The Digimon are basically back to where they were.

Story is starting to get too difficult to follow. Too many sides to this conflict.

But at least we have Brave Heart.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Midnight Occult CS 9:

Well that is a curb stomp that I have not seen since Dead Space. Geez what a monster. I know this show is low budget but I'll watch anything with Tomoaki Maeno. It's like a darker version of the Morose Mononokean for those interested.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not really. Even with Bleach, the final arc was much better than it. Not only that but Bleach as commercial product was much better as well in sales be it on it's high and low, unlike Soma which has every of it's volumes down for like 10 volumes already.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Kinpri 8
That was kind of a nothing episode, especially after last week's. At least the prism jump was fun. Next week's episode will be Alexander's and I'm super hyped for that one.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever another season of knights of sidonia? That first season was good.

There was a second season. There was supposedly an announcement of a third season, or at least more content, but that was 2 years ago with basically radio silence since, so it might be dead. Manga is finished so maybe they just don't care anymore.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
(Thought while watching Bungou Stray Dogs Dead Apple)

Too many battle shounen anime movies start or have the premise of a "past" villain thought to be dead suddenly reappearing again.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bungo Stray Dogs Episode 30

g7tquo7.png

Well that didn't take long to deal with this organization.

Nice to see them trying to relax after the battle with the Guild. I guessing that the events of Dead Apple didn't happen yet? Is it even brought up? The ugly and out of place tower is in the flashback arc.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Carol & Tuesday - 05-06

It's...fine, but nothing more. I feel essentially no investment for any characters and the music side of things is mostly just passable. The switch from Japanese voice actors to the actual singers isn't exactly helping immersion. Think I'm calling it quits here unless I hear strong impressions from the final 3rd.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

Excellent read, I am fairly new to Ikuhara so I appreciate this level of detailed analysis.

Also I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this:

"
Unfortunately, he also happens to be quite the (un)believable dumbass. If Enta represents the unfair part of Reo that demands his partner stays the same forever, then Kazuki resembles the side of him that's frustratingly deaf to the people who surround him screaming I love you to his face. "​

Status
Not open for further replies.