• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Hakumei and Mikochi English dub

Nice watching this series again. Nice and relaxing.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Bungo Stray Dogs-34
8H5REr8l.jpg

This arc is absolutely fucking wild. Fyodor might be the most despicable villain in any of BONES's shows. It's like dealing with a super evil Dazai who is throwing gasoline all over place. It also answers my question as to whether Dazai is possibly smarter than Ranpo as the show makes it seem at times like Ranpo is smarter but I guess Dazai is just a lazy ass (I'm assuming Dazai and Fyodor are in the same ballpark intellect-wise). I wish the production values for this season weren't so slip shod and the storyboarding was a bit better but the source material for this is just so strong that this might end up being my favorite Stray Dogs arc anyway.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Miru Tights 5

Swimsuit x Tights
This anime is revolutionary.

Demon Slayer 10

That death was brutal. Highlight of the episode was demon sister kicking the ball.

We Never Learn 10

Purple hair girl is finally introduced.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone post here about Fruits Basket having 63 episodes? It was confirmed by a VA.

We already knew that this one out now would be the first season by the title but now it's confirmed that it's going to be 63 episodes in total so it depends on how much will be on a season. This guy thinks that it's going to be 25 on season 1, 25 on season 2 and 13 on season 3. Of course, it'll adapt everything.
that doesn't seem like enough given the pace they are going at. I wonder if they are going to drastically speed up the pace, or if 63 is instead the episode count of season 1 and that there will be a production break before adapting the last 3rd or so of the manga.
Who says it isnt just going straight through 63 with no seasonal cutoff?
you don't start calling it fruits basket season 1 unless you are planning to have a season 2 down the line :P
funimation has been calling it season one since about a week before it started airing.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Fruits Basket 10

Well, I don't know that I signed up for 63 episodes of this.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 10

Nezuko has simple desires, like wanting to kick the ball.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Not sure if I can last 63 episodes. I'm already nearing the end of my patience with this show. There have already been so many questionable scenes and lines. The latest being:

- Kyo running into a forest and looking vulnerable so that Ms Obvious can come to the rescue
- That 'cut the commentary' line. Really?? A historically violent girl who wants to force a relationship between herself and someone who is clearly not willing makes another remark about the importance of Valentine's Day (clearly insinuating her supposed relationship with Kyo), but when she gets rebuffed Kyo's the one who gets reprimanded and he tolerates the disapproval??? Is this show seriously excusing (making light of) harassment? But in this case it's a girl who's doing it, so it's not only okay but also humorous?
- The forced double date bEcaUse ToHru wAntS tO
- Shigure's 'dirty hands' (how dramatic)

I think I'll just drop it now.
I'm not gonna comment on everything here because it's fine if you don't like it and don't want to watch it anymore.

But I think the Kyo abuse needs some explanation. You're right, it's pretty bad. It does get explained later on, though, why everyone treats Kyo like garbage.

Spoilers for probably the second season:
Kyo is treated like a punching bag on purpose and with the approval of Akito. They're meant to "vent" they're frustrations on him because even if they are cursed their life isn't as bad as that of the Cat. It's institutionalised abuse and made clear as such. Kyo accepts it because that's how he's been treated from a young age and that's all he thinks his purpose in life is. It's the major reason why Tohru sets out to break the curse when she finds out about it.

Whether that reason is OK or not to you, I don't know. But I thought that people getting upset on AnimeEra deserved to get a heads up at least and make their own decision whether to continue watching or not.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Kimetsu no Yaiba 10

You know, in the Harry Potter universe it would make more sense if when you said Lord Voldemort out loud instead of He Who Shall Not Be Named you got torn apart from the inside out.

Speaking of being torn apart I though that's was what was gonna happen to Tanjiro when that demon sent arrows heading different directions all through his body

Last edited:

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba 10

The ball fight reminded me of the duels in the PC version of the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets game.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kimetsu no Yaiba 10

You know, if in the Harry Potter universe it would make more sense if when you said Lord Voldemort out loud instead of He Who Shall Not Be Named you got torn apart from the inside out.
Wasn't there something about how if you said his name the Death Eaters would come to your house and burn it down? Like the name itself was actually being tracked?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there something about how if you said his name the Death Eaters would come to your house and burn it down? Like the name itself was actually being tracked?

I don't think they ever said that in the movies. It probably was in the books but it's been a long time since I've seen or read the series so I may be wrong.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love watching Chika and Satowas relationship growing in kono oto tomare, that ship is totally sailing. I hope this show will have actual couples though and won't just be a bunch of teasing or a painful to watch friendzone like chihayafuru
hang in there taichi bro

Also I started watching date a live (don't judge me) and I'm absolutely loving it, don't know what I expected but I'm can't wait to watch more.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Bungo Stray Dogs 34
download-1.png

Why does Kunikida gotta suffer like this?

His ideals. ;_;

Also yeah, this season is probably the most static in terms of animation unfortunately, but the direction is still pretty strong.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 19

EYChgdFl.jpg

Plonk gets plonked. Poor guy.

This episode may have been thoroughly unsurprising, but to say that another way, it met all of my expectations. The two-week wait for the next episode is going to be rough.
Cosmo still looks just as eye-stabbing in the show as she did in the leaks and previews, though. Can't win 'em all.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 19

When this show gets bleak, it goes all in. Seeing a whole planet get petrified is pretty sobering. Though undercut by apparently only having a population of 1800? Anyway, Blue Cat was obviously leading everyone into a trap. But the real star of the episode was Ayewon. Now that's a nasty and callous villain you don't normally get from a Precure general. Accidentally petrifying a planet and not giving a shit? Gonna be really hard to redeem her. Not to mention a massive competency buff. Must've stolen from Hikaru who missed an easy opportunity to take her missing pen. These pens are terrifying if they can do that. Wonder if they delve more into their danger.

Blue Cat being Bakenyan has been obvious for awhile, but still an impressive performance from her. She knows how to act and pour tea with style. Clever use of the perfume to expose her. Pretty easy to surmise that she infiltrated the Notraiders because they were the closest to finding the right magic she needed to help her planet. While also masquerading as a phantom thief. And an idol. Busy girl. Wonder if the Mao persona came before or after everyone on her planet was destroyed. Not much of a Lala episode, but she did get a good moment where she admitted that a million was a statistic until she saw the devastation with her own eyes. What a cliffhanger, with Blue Cat demonstrating why she's known on a galactic scale. And with next episode being the big event next week is going to be hype... oh, it's on break next week. Worst timing ever.

Bloom Into You 1-6

Been meaning to watch this for awhile, but never got around to it. I think I'm understanding the hype. Solid direction keeps what may be ordinary scenes very engaging. Characters are interesting without being melodramatic. Koito especially with how she's trying to feel love, but just doesn't have it in her to feel that emotion. Nanami I didn't quite get, especially in why she was attracted to Koito so quickly, but episode 6 answered that she likes Koito for not being able to truly feel anything in her heart. Interesting and an easy point for future conflict. Pretty nice.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Sarazanmai 09

As much as I'd have liked Toi to return to his friends instead of sticking to his brother, he at least saw through it to the end. Has he really proved his brother wrong? the show likes to think so but not in a way I'm all that satisfied.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If the direction elavates Bloom into You I might have to check it out because the manga, despite the solid artwork, is very boring.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
If the direction elavates Bloom into You I might have to check it out because the manga, despite the solid artwork, is very boring.

yeah it's really well-directed. I guess if I had to describe it, it has a sense of grandeur and romanticism reminiscent of how Ishiguro directed Your Lie in April, interspersed with more quieter moments and without the outrageous comedy. imo, the opener was one of the best-directed episodes of anything last year so you should know right away if it's your thing

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind 33

You ever appear in a different part than the one you were introduced in just to die? I would say a final RIP to my boy, but uhh maybe not considering the weird thing at the end.

Also Diavolo's design is cool and the last half of the episode looked really great.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had no idea that Chihanimethaticanneverrememberhowtospell third season would be its final one. I'm curious why they decided to adapt it now, given that the last season aired 6 years ago.
I'm not gonna comment on everything here because it's fine if you don't like it and don't want to watch it anymore.

But I think the Kyo abuse needs some explanation. You're right, it's pretty bad. It does get explained later on, though, why everyone treats Kyo like garbage.

Spoilers for probably the second season:
Kyo is treated like a punching bag on purpose and with the approval of Akito. They're meant to "vent" they're frustrations on him because even if they are cursed their life isn't as bad as that of the Cat. It's institutionalised abuse and made clear as such. Kyo accepts it because that's how he's been treated from a young age and that's all he thinks his purpose in life is. It's the major reason why Tohru sets out to break the curse when she finds out about it.

Whether that reason is OK or not to you, I don't know. But I thought that people getting upset on AnimeEra deserved to get a heads up at least and make their own decision whether to continue watching or not.
Well thank you for going out of your way to explain this to me. While that spoilered part did help contextualise that particular event, I can't say the revelation totally alleviated my irritation with the show*. What continues to annoy me is the fact that this was played for laughs. Perhaps I blew that one line out of proportion.

I now understand that the scene is a harbinger of what's to come, so I won't complain about that (in respect of the actual harassment and Kyo's submission).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Kitaro 59

This was shot like a straight up Ju-on style horror movie. One thing I like about the morality of this series is Kitaro is willing to give bad, obviously harmful and guilty people a second chance but when they go back on it he won't stop them from getting killed or worse.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm caught up with the show but behind on these writeups (holy shit episode 9), anyway here's the next one. images in spoiler tags

Sarazanmai #04

despite having the most structured repetition of any ikuhara show so far, sarazanmai has been unusually low on specific character catchphrases compared to penguindrum (shibireru darou) and maybe even yurikuma. the first character we see that's explicitly tied to a catchphrase is chikai, whose character is defined with "only bad guys survive in this world." sarazanmai so far has also been a very heavily character-driven show compared to the broader societal worldbuilding of his other shows (penguindrum especially), so it seems like chikai will be the catalyst that forces our main trio to deal with societal forces at work beyond their own personal conflicts.

on the flip side, sarazanmai is leaning far more into ikuhara's use of puns and double meanings. #03 had a triple meaning in kiss (the fish/the action/the boyfriend keith), while #04 is building its theme of the week around soba (noodles/being next to). maybe worth noting that yurikuma #05 used the same soba pun, sourced from the tradition of "hikkoshi soba," i.e. soba eaten with neighbors after moving into a new house.

XIIDUnh.jpg

littered throughout these first four episodes are even more food-related puns - #02 has "zanmai" cat food, #03 has "sanmai" fillet, the text crawl in the SARAtto report in #03 has a bizarre recipe for cucumber sesame chicken, etc. at some point the layers of punnage are likely nothing more than fun wordplay, but it's worth noting how much of this show's themes are built on food and dishes - food is a central role in many fables about desire and temptation, and sarazanmai is nothing if not a story about desire and temptation to connect. a particularly interesting food story to note is the forbidden fruit of adam & eve, since this is a story ikuhara has already drawn on in his discussions throughout penguindrum of tempting/challenging fate and sharing the forbidden apple as a representation of connection being inherent in humans. there's also the idea of food as a communal experience - most of the scenes we've seen with kazuki and enta's families have involved eating food together, and toi's lack of family is clearly represented by the lifeless noodle shop he lives in.

WtDaixQ.png

xQuNHEr.png

in significant contrast to the warm, intimate locations in the rest of asakusa, toi's home is empty, devoid of any of the personal items that litter the walls of enta and kazuki's houses. takeuchi draws further attention to this with the stacks of boxes in the foreground, supporting an interpretation of boxes as containers to lock away treasured items but never enjoy them for what they are (yurikuma primarily uses this interpretation for a lot of its box content). takeuchi's framing of toi's relatives is also purposefully obscure, taking an angle that not makes both them and the restaurant itself feel distant and unfamiliar.

2jU1rxw.png

93sf8j5.png

jtn9smN.png

ncnLk9P.png

NnNfmpY.png

if we say that sarazanmai is ikuhara's response to penguindrum, then this statement seems to be his response to the child broiler. as in penguindrum, survival is defined in terms of the connections we make, and existence is defined by the memories that others have of us. without these, we're reduced to the facelessness of the anonymous background characters, instantly replaceable and unremarkable as the buildings in the city. this also ties into ikuhara's discussion of capitalism as a system that commodifies its workers, making them as uniform and anonymous as the countless identical kappazon boxes in the series.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 60

Aikatsu vs the military. Sure, why not. Not like the rest of this arc hasn't already felt like a different show. Maybe they can fight the oil industry next. I appreciate Hibiki's efforts to bring smiles back to the country, but that's just a symptom, not a disease. Surprised they were that explicit about mama Alicia's death. Hard to ban Aikatsu when idol activities are whatever idols say they are. Industry already has a firm grip on the country. Not long until they have more power than the royal family.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titan 56

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
AoT 56

Well there it is. Wonder where they will leave it off for next season? Fine reveal but I guess people may have expected a little bit more juice in the delivery.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Gundam: Origin 7
Oof. That was hard to watch Zeon scum just straight up slaughter the guncanons. But I guess it was a necessary demonstration of MS power and agility to get the feds working on the Gundam.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 25

So they really followed up on Fersen and it went much better than I expected. Not only is he in good health, he is also helping Antoinette recover her reputation and status. Oscar on the other hand is tragically unable to take this well. I was pretty excited to see that she decided to wear a dress, wondering what the people at the Ball would think, for a moment I thought like a character of its world and time. Unfortunately she didn't want anyone to know it was her, to Oscar this was probably a huge exception from the day she decided to unflinchingly abide her father's words. It's a moment of indulgence she couldn't help. Who could blame her.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
The basement was a mistake.

AoT 53-54

I think I remember disliking this whole story arc in the manga but at the very least, Erwin's moments of doubt, decision and the charge come to life in a much more convincing way when helped by animation and the voice acting. Levi&Mikasa fights were well done but I can't really say the same about the Colossal Titan fight, the conclusion just lacked any kind of ooomph to me and even weirdly cuts away to the view in front of the Titan, away from the meat of Eren's attack for the moment of actual hit.

I guess i have to start watching this now :P

I mean ... I don't know much of where the source material traverses from the point where anime finishes but at said point, the proposed romance is "subtle' to the point of perhaps not existing. Maybe that's where the story goes and ... maybe not. There's plenty of good reasons for watching Sangatsu but at this time, I don't think any kind of romance angle is one of them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Good reveal and we'll get so see much more next week. Interesting to see that they are contained within 'walls' as well. Is that one of the themes in this series? Having your freedom, exploration, imagination and the like held hostage? The scouts representing freedom and, I assume, some kind of military representing it in the one teased today?

Status
Not open for further replies.