• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
AoT - 56

Well, that was an awkward episode. They sure tried to drag it out to, I guess, have a better stopping point? In any case, it was quite noticeable and in addition, there was the very "questionable" character art this episode. Inconsistency is the name of the game, here. 80% of the times they looking bad in different kind of ways.

Sure hope that was the exception and the remaining episodes get the production values that the godly storytelling deserves.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge rewatch

there are few things that would make me happy as a 2nd season of tanaka kun would. This show is so warm, from the soundtrack to the visuals and the characters are so likeable. It was one of the first anime i loved when i started watching anime and that still holds today.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I started watching Gun Gale Online with my girlfriend last night and it's decent so far. Does Netflix still only get the broadcast versions of some Aniplex licensed anime series? I've been out of the loop and I remember Kill la Kill is/was the broadcast version meanwhile Fate/Zero was the home video release.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I haven't done one for #05 yet but this one was on my mind and fun to write. spoiler tags contain images.

a visual analysis of the tokyo skytree and its symbolic role in sarazanmai

since much of #06's action takes place in the abstract world inside tokyo skytree, it seems like a good time to take a look at how ikuhara's tower imagery contributes to his thematic goals. clearly the tokyo skytree is a central symbol of sarazanmai, acting as both the central anchoring symbol of the city and a constant backdrop to many character interactions.

NeKCy6m.png

bsIB5D2.png

the clearest visual idea behind incorporating the tower, which stands straight and cuts right across the center of both of these OP shots, is that of central stability and unchanging presence. this obviously plays into ikuhara's works being societal criticisms, the tower representing the entrenched unchangeable norms of society that his characters fight against.

goag0O6.png

aFeb0iO.jpg

in an important subversion of this idea, the first shot frames the tower to the side of center, with both the otter and the floodlights matching its height, while the second shot is angled from above, removing the tower's sense of straightness and vertical stability and again framing characters at the same height as the tower. indeed, both factions rise up to tackle society throughout the series, as we see the otter faction manipulating the system to feed off deviant desires and the protagonists overcoming the ingrained societal obstacles to connecting.

JySuWfA.png

this is a point I brought up way back in the premiere, but the skytree is also significant because pulsating ring of light that constantly circles the top of the tower is one of the most visible emblems of ikuhara's circle motif. circles are heavily used in penguindrum as symbols of the destructive cyclical patterns in familial relationships, and similar ideas are at play in sarazanmai, especially with haruka's line, "you and I, from the beginning until the very end, are connected by a round link." it's certainly no coincidence that this line is depicted with a circle in the background. other circular motifs are all over sarazanmai, the circular A logo being one of the most conspicuous, but that's for another post.

sgw8z4f.jpg

XY11sYO.jpg

pyweYMA.jpg

te2Q4ve.jpg

the first few appearances of the interior of the skytree heavily emphasize its cold industrial nature. this is pretty much an ikuhara trademark at this point, with penguindrum and yurikuma both using towering man-made structures and construction settings as the backdrop representing the coldness of capitalistic society. this also plays heavily into toi's episode 4 monologue, which compares humans to the buildings of the city - anonymous, uniform, replaceable.

nMmT9cn.png

k6gCAUe.jpg

the tokyo skytree tower symbol is also heavily reminiscent of tomohiro furukawa's use of the tokyo tower on revue starlight. you could easily devote an entire post to revue starlight's use of the tokyo tower, which incidentally draws on similar ideas of entrenched societal standards in its representation of "top star," but in particular, the heavily vertically-oriented storyboards of #06 remind me of masayuki kojima's revue starlight #04, which similarly frames every shot with distinctly vertical visual cues to symbolize hikari and karen's desire to aim for the top.

JO2qeBt.jpg

Ra8i7gK.png

later, in revue starlight #10, an important flashback to the main duo's childhood promise is framed from an angle above the tower, and the clever use of models puts hikari and karen on the same visual plane as the top of the tower they're aiming for. clear similarities to the sarazanmai OP shot of its main trio flying above the tower.

kyMhlew.jpg

and the final subversion of the tower worth noting is the grandest of them all, the straightness of the tower completely dismantled and the lonely peak of the tower where only one could stand redefined as a bridge connecting the main duo. it's unlikely sarazanmai topples the entire tokyo skytree (okay, the chances are probably nonzero), but as we near the finale, the society it represents is certainly looking to be deconstructed in a major way.

GI13pxD.jpg

VXI9wUr.png

and of course, no discussion of ikuhara's modern tower imagery is complete without the statue of david in penguindrum #15, an ominous reminder of the patriarchal and parental pressures that are an inescapable part of yuri's childhood.

F1zZvGG.jpg

the visual role of the omnipresent david in penguindrum #15 is pretty similar to the unspoken constant presence of the skytree in sarazanmai up until now, although its conclusion redefines the newly created tokyo tower as an omnipresent reminder of momoka and the sacrifices she made to connect with yuri. with the otter headquarters supposedly located there, the skytree in sarazanmai is also a reminder of a past connection, perhaps one involving the mysterious otter empire that will be revealed soon.

JfJw1L7.jpg

this point was brought to my attention by the keeponly1luv twitter, which is supposedly set in 2007-8, notably before the 2012 completion of the tokyo skytree. ikuhara claims the main reason the series features the skytree over tokyo tower is because it's closer to asakusa, but the skytree being only 7 years old suggests that not all societal institutions exist solely because of longevity - new obstacles to connection are still developing today, social media being the largest example of this.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
A Place Further Than The Universe 9
Look i think this series is very good but watching it is exhausting. Every episode feeling like a finale is a great idea in theory but the reality is it just tires me the fuck out

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 22

"boy I hope we can stop bro from becoming a demon"

*Hyakkimaru is literally a fire tornado*

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Kinpri 09

The heck was with that little dragon thing?

Alexander's mom is good, the performance at the end was p good, Alexander himself is really cute.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
A Place Further Than The Universe 9
Look i think this series is very good but watching it is exhausting. Every episode feeling like a finale is a great idea in theory but the reality is it just tires me the fuck out
I'm just gonna say that it only gets more emotionally draining.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i mean this ep was sold to me as a hinjinx romance episode and it was not that at all which was a) better and b) tiring

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro 59

You ever think about how hard it must be for evil detecting animals like dogs to bark their heads off when they see a yokai only for humans to think he just saw a raccoon or something?

Also get fucked conman.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Revolutionary Girl Utena 19

Why is Ikuhara such a troll, come on. I hoped for a good ending here since Tatsuya seemed to be a nice guy, he even got rejected for counceling. It was obvious that it will happen though because of how the scene progressed.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to my previous post, I found out myself that the Netflix version of Gun Gale Online is the broadcast version. Don't know if there are any major differences between broadcast and home video, other than the standard anti-seizure measures, but we switched to watching the BD release. Anyways, we have the last episode to go and neither of us are really feeling the show. It had a promising start but not enough time was spent focusing on Llen and Pitohui's relationship in the early parts to make the endgame all that worthwhile. I really fucking hate that there was an explicit bi/pan woman and that she was a very minor side character and portrayed as being lecherous. Then the there is the matter of Pitohui and I don't even know where to begin with her. Anything the show is trying to thematically on a feminist level is really underwhelming me. Yay, the protagonist is a university student but she is represented by a little girl avatar for the vast majority of the series. :|

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 13-22

Meh is all I can say. What wasted potential..

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

Not particularly familiar with this staff, but seems pleasant enough. Wonder if it can even get any experienced talent in such a packed year for movies.

Oct 25, 2017

Not particularly familiar with this staff, but seems pleasant enough. Wonder if it can even get any experienced talent in such a packed year for movies.

Hiroshi Shimizu is experienced talent, I'd say. Character designer for Michiko and Hatchin, as well as the pleasant 2017 Doraemon film. But you're right in that I wouldn't expect this film to be an animation powerhouse.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

Director seems to be the same one of "How not to Summon a Demon Lord" so I'm not expecting anything good to be quite honest.
Script writer... Well.. He's hit or miss.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I personally can't escape connection between the name of the film (Our Seven-Day War) and the 1967 Arab-Israeli Six-Day War.

Maybe that's just me though!

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Gun Gale Online with the GF. Neither of us were pleased with that ending. Such a waste of potential and the biphobic shit certainly didn't sit well with either of us. The characters weren't even that well developed.

Girlfriend was giving me shit for picking GGO, but we started Zombieland Saga and are liking it so far.

Last edited:

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm spending the rest of the week doing pretty much nothing but watching anime, hit me with the best series from 2016+, Era!
Out of what I can remember these are the ones I've enjoyed the most:
Land of the Lustrous
March comes like a Lion
Hakumei and Mikochi
Yuru Camp
A place further than the universe

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm spending the rest of the week doing pretty much nothing but watching anime, hit me with the best series from 2016+, Era!

Mob Psycho for incredible animation, great characters, and best in medium fightscenes
Konosuba and Magical Circle Guru-Guru for comedies (Guru-Guru also has some romance)
Asobi Asobase for a slightly lower tier comedy
Land of the Lustrous for actually good CG, as well as one of the best anime protagonists I've seen
A Place Further than the Universe for drama and some slice of life
Tsuredure Children for some short romance fluff. Not super great or anything, but since you have a Kaguya-sama avatar, you might like this too (just don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as Kaguya).

Also a movie suggestion: Maquia is absolutely incredible and really worth a watch.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Samurai Champloo 3, 4
Felt like I'd seen this story many times but the style of this show more than makes up for any repetitiveness.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Finished Gun Gale Online with the GF. Neither of us were pleased with that ending. Such a waste of potential and the biphobic shit certainly didn't sit well with either of us. The characters weren't even that well developed.

Girlfriend was giving me shit for picking GGO, but we started Zombieland Saga and are liking it so far.

Kotaro is the best thing in Zombieland Saga. Great pick

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Revolutionary Girl Utena 19

Why is Ikuhara such a troll, come on. I hoped for a good ending here since Tatsuya seemed to be a nice guy, he even got rejected for counceling. It was obvious that it will happen though because of how the scene progressed.
That scene is actually one of the most important in the entire arc because it straight-up points out the thread that ties together all members of the black rose and is essential to understanding the Prof. Nemuro's character.

Glad to see you're still sticking with the series.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kakegurui XX is up on Netflix now, probably for the best because this season was torture going through it weekly. Fun show overall though, and one of the better looking openings this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.