• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So looking at the summer season is another huge YIKES....

Can't wait:
DanMachi 2nd Season
Skilled Teaser Takagi-san 2nd Season

Will watch just because it looks like stupid mindless fun:
Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power

Anyone heard anything on:
Vinland Saga?

DaFUQ?:
Will you please like hentai if it's cute?

There is literally $hit next season.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Can't wait:
DanMachi 2nd Season

Vinland Saga?

DaFUQ?:

I am ready for that fitness anime.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I might watch the isekai with the mom since that sounds funny.

I want to watch Vinland Saga, but I think I read somewhere that it is exclusive to Amazon Prime Video? I don't have Amazon Prime anymore.

Of course I will continue with Demon Slayer.

So yeah, next season isn't looking that great.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but food wars season 4 starts in october

Guess its time to somehow make it through S3

Shield Hero 23

A little too mmo esque now. Weapons just appearing out of thin air as drops is pretty dumb. L'Arc and Therese seem cool hopefully they don't turn out to be antagonists in some way. Suddenly not wanting to level with Naofumi's party anymore was a bit suspicious.

What the hell is Malty doing here

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Lastman season 2 will have six 45 minutes episodes, nice.

Edit: wrong thread but it's awesome so I'll leave it

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Can't wait:
DanMachi 2nd Season

Vinland Saga?

DaFUQ?:

Dr. Stone is supposed to be really good.
Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator could be fun
Enen no Shouboutai is going to be a treat to watch visually
Cop Craft is from the creator of Full metal Panic so I will at least check it out
add in your first three anime listed and vinland saga next season looks really solid to me :P

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Dr. Stone is supposed to be really good.
Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator could be fun
Enen no Shouboutai is going to be a treat to watch visually
Cop Craft is from the creator of Full metal Panic so I will at least check it out
add in your first three anime listed and vinland saga next season looks really solid to me :P

Hmm, maybe I'll check out Dr, Stone, but it just doesn't look like my kind of thing really.

I gave up on Magical Index during S3, when the plot went to $hit and nothing was making sense anymore. They kept referencing events/concepts/characters/plots that were not in the other 2 season s of Magical Index. I'm not sure on that Fire show just yet. I might give it a three episode rule, since there is not much more to watch, but this season is all Danmachi and the greatness of Takagi

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, maybe I'll check out Dr, Stone, but it just doesn't look like my kind of thing really.

I gave up on Magical Index during S3, when the plot went to $hit and nothing was making sense anymore. They kept referencing events/concepts/characters/plots that were not in the other 2 season s of Magical Index. I'm not sure on that Fire show just yet. I might give it a three episode rule, since there is not much more to watch, but this season is all Danmachi and the greatness of Takagi
the fire show is from the creator of soul eater
and being produced by the jojo animation company
and while I have heard the manga is mixed on quality it supposedly gets better later... and the trailer to it looks like

more than enough reason for me to give it a few episodes :P

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Gay Frogs #10

3s6NOCC.jpg

I don't think
Mabu and Reo are necessarily dead, straight up death is unusual for Ikuhara. I'm starting to think the Manga may be some kind of dream-state (The afterlife? The real world?) they are put after the end of the anime.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Summer season is definitely looking like the weakest season in a long time. Fire Force looks good and Okada is doing another original teen drama that is sure to be exceedingly decent and that's honestly about it.

It's a ways out so there might be more announcements but fall isn't looking too hot either honestly. You have the Fate thing by the imas crew, Beastars, another Heroaca season, and uh that might be it?

Basically 2019 has been one of the weakest years this decade for TV animation in exchange for being easily one of the strongest in film animation and I guess I'm fine with that

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Carole & Tuesday 10

Fire!

I know the show is 2 cour but I'm not a fan of how they're gonna write C&T out of this competition. Unless somehow it's NOT the most obvious suspect.

If her hand's messed up they're definitely done for

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Kakegurui XX 1-8

Watched the first 8 episodes back-to-back so that should show that I'm liking it so far. Need to take a break because I'm getting tired and hungry lol.

It's a bit more of the same as the first season so it doesn't feel as shocking. There's less focus on Yumeko and what I enjoyed most about the first season was watching her wreck the social order of the school. That said, it's nice seeing other S1 characters not get discarded even though they introduced a bunch of new characters. If anything, the S1 characters got more interesting.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Summer season is definitely looking like the weakest season in a long time. Fire Force looks good and Okada is doing another original teen drama that is sure to be exceedingly decent and that's honestly about it.

It's a ways out so there might be more announcements but fall isn't looking too hot either honestly. You have the Fate thing by the imas crew, Beastars, another Heroaca season, and uh that might be it?

Basically 2019 has been one of the weakest years this decade for TV animation in exchange for being easily one of the strongest in film animation and I guess I'm fine with that
There's Vinland Saga as well.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Carole & Tuesday 10

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next two episodes was straight up titled "Stan"

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Revolutionary Girl Utena 25

I really like the changes they made here. It's great tp see Anthy expressing what she actually wants and the new repetitions showing it. That said I still have no idea where it will go and I hope it's because I'm not supposed to yet rather than me being stupid lmao.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good. While it's not quite "gambling," you could try out Death Parade. I find that it has similar vibes.
yeah Ive seen a few episodes. I'm not sure if I want to continue it since like there's new characters every episode. does it have an overarching story? because I feel like I need to be invested in the characters.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
yeah Ive seen a few episodes. I'm not sure if I want to continue it since like there's new characters every episode. does it have an overarching story? because I feel like I need to be invested in the characters.
It does, one which comes to a head in the final episodes. But I'd say if your main interest is persistent characters and character arcs, that's not quite what Death Parade is about and it is more about the new match-ups and discovering how their psyche works.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Let's see, next season I'm watching:

Dumbbell - Haven't seen a trashy fanservice show in a while
Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? - First season was good fun, looking forward to more
Mom's Two-Hit Attacks - An isekai where the hero has to bring his mom along sounds like it could be pretty funny
Symphogear XV - Aw yeah, more magimechanical punchgirls
Vinland Saga - Heard good things about the manga

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Sarazanmai 10

What a fantastic example in conscice storytelling. It's tragic but extremely palpable and believable. It completely will recontextualize rewatching this show. It's powerful imagery and just so thematically apt, bravo Ikuhara.

I am so happy Enta lives, I don't think I could take more tragedy in an episode. As expected Toi is being pulled by the Otters, I wonder what they must do to clear his darkness, I think they will bring it back to Kazu remembering the Micanga.

The fact that there's only one image left in the last part of the ED, probably serves dual purpose to show Kazuki being the one to make the decision and also show that Toi is now fully isolated by grief. I wonder if the show will end with no shadows and instead the shot will pan up and continue from there on an extended outro.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Next season:

Doctor Stone!
ENEN NO SHOUBOUTAI!
VINLAND SAGA!

Anybother good anime I might be missing?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really hope that Era doesn't sleep on Dr Stone next season. It's a lovely series that hopefully gets the adaptation it deserves.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Carole & Tuesday 9
Oh god, where do I even start?!

I had originally thought this Mars Brightest arc would be a positive thing in the end, but truth be told it has exposed the worst faults of Carole & Tuesday and I don't know if it will be able to recover from it. For people who aren't currently watching, those bailing out at this point are totally justified to do so, based solely on the level this particular episode drops to feel like its filling out a quota because this show is two cours when it should've been one. For an episode that had four songs in it, not a single one (even the outrageous "joke" song) was anywhere near the level of previous songs in the series, and aren't often performed as well as you see on actual talent shows (something I regard as a relatively low bar). These songs, both in their animated choreography and their vocal quality, feel phoned in and sap away whatever transcendent experience they're supposed to provide.

And if that was the worst of it, that would still be enough to consider dropping the show since the music has been the only real draw to the show for the last few episodes as it became clear Carole & Tuesday was more interested in meandering through its plot material than telling any kind of engaging narrative or even a comedic farce. But the problems stem further, because there has to be stuff in between all the songs that keeps things moving along. And this was the episode where it felt like the writers just gave up entirely, having a group of trans-phobic stereotypes becoming the laughing stock of the tournament arc while also letting Tuesday become a victim of sexual assault for character growth reasons. It's cheap entertainment that smacks of taking the easiest way out for a quick jab or a shot of drama without having to do anything thoughtful or respectful to the characters: whatever gets the job done.

And in the end, it's not like Cybelle's plot even seems like it's going to go anywhere: for all I know, she'll just be written out of the show at this point and never come back, and the horrible thing she did to Tuesday here will never come up again. I wouldn't put it past Carole & Tuesday not to touch on any of that in the future, but just let it be something that happened in between some songs because they have to stretch things out to two cours. It's gross and exploitative, and coupled with the lower song quality is making me wonder if I too should bail... and that's a terrible shame.

Sarazanmai 9
This was a great amount of excellent storytelling packed into such a svelte run time. After last week, it was a little unclear exactly how they were planning on tying everything back together, but I knew if nothing else they needed both to bring Keppi back and to give Toi a reason to return. The former was easy; basically any plot point relating to Keppi has been a matter of contrivance for the entire series, as if to just give a big middle finger to the concept of creating tension due to the constraints of time, so I knew that wasn't going to be a problem. But coming up with a convincing reason for Toi to return without having reservations could've been done a few different ways, though this was always the easiest of the ways to do it. However, I knew that if they took this particular road, doing so in a way that felt succinct yet had the emotional impact they were going for would be tough, and I think they succeeded in large part because they let the characters' actions speak for themselves. It's telling just how much you can take away from that final post-credits scene despite the relative lack of dialogue: the editing and animation tell you everything you need to know without feeling like it has to verbalize what characters are feeling. And it's those quiet emotional moments that feel like they will be the parts of Sarazanmai that will stick with me as the more fantastical elements fade from my memory.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 33
Ah, now that's some nice work tying things together. Unlike the plot point about the virus that I'm sure won't be brought up again because it's ultimately incredibly stupid, the idea of tying up the question of why there are multiple arrows and why they ended up in such remote places with Diavolo's own backstory manages to rather neatly tie up a lot of hanging loose ends from the series relating to the arrow as well as provide a nice bridge to how things tie together here beyond simply Giorno's incredibly tenuous ties to Dio that have never been much of a plot point other than to explain how on Earth he could be tied to the story of the Joestars. While there was a lot of set up for the finale here, I think there was a lot of good done not only in the material to tie Golden Wind to the greater whole, but also with the adaptation, which managed to adapt the older parts of the manga into the more modern Araki style in a way that looks incredibly sharp while remaining easily identifiable. I'm very curious as to how all of this will end up playing out throughout the course of the finale, because with the arrow in play all rules are out the window if Bites the Dust taught us anything. Here's hoping Araki has quite the finale in store!

GeGeGe no Kitaro 59
They should've just titled this episode "Ju-On: Junior Edition." It doesn't really get much more simple than that, and I appreciated that after some lighter episodes this season they weren't afraid to pull out all the stops of classic Japanese horror imagery for this episode specifically. And while it's a fun showcase of that particular famous branch of Japanese horror cinema, I appreciate that they also took the time to make it have a more meaningful message behind it as well. Stories like this, of men conning vulnerable women out of money, are a particularly disgusting and sad display of preying on people's desire to have some sense of attachment in an all too distant world. But in keeping with the horror imagery of its inspiration, I do appreciate how they were able to maintain that the con man gets what was coming to him because he refused to keep his word when shown mercy for his crimes. As both a cautionary tale for the victims as well as one that highlights the fate of those who dishonor themselves, it's perhaps the most poignant GeGeGe no Kitaro has been in a good while.

Why the Hell Are You Here, Sensei? 10
Boy, those are some laughable production values, even for this show. I don't think I've seen this series look this rough before, making me wonder if they'll be able to make it to the end of the season. Still, the content is fine enough, I suppose, though these two's dynamic is perhaps the dullest of all four couples. As such, it kind of feels the like the show is really just going through the motions as it approaches the end because we've seen this before, but at least the personalities at play managed to play up how outrageous things got with some actual emotion. Maybe it'll be able to avoid limping along to its conclusion, but I think I've a pretty good idea of how things will wrap up, and that's on a low note. Can't say I'm surprised, but I hoped this would be one of the ecchi shows to buck that recent trend.

Attack on Titan 56
Hmm... as someone who has remained unspoiled about the truth of what lay waiting in the basement, I'm rather impressed at the level of nuance that the reveal has, as its implications are subtle but incredibly far reaching. I think it's less impressive to consider the immediate implications regarding the state of the world and what that implies, but instead to think thematically on where things could go, so indulge me to pontificate about stuff I'm sure has already been well explored and defined by now in the manga:
There's two things that didn't immediately come to mind, but which I started to ruminate on when putting two and two together. The imagery associated with the flashback into Grisha's past in unavoidable: it's so on the nose as to be laughably blatant, but its not the first time in the adaptation we've seen this kind of imagery related to Jews used. Ymir's flashback in season two also suggested that minority religious group similar to Jews was persecuted and that this persecution somehow related to the Titans themselves. Combining that imagery with more modern imagery now ties together a picture of the outside world that draws from centuries of persecution to make the connection undoubtedly clear: the Titans are supposed to be an analog for the Jews.

Second, there's this undeniable thread of apocalyptic visuals that was used to great effect when the four were on their way to Eren's house: going back from one to the other and tying in the events of that day did a wonderful job, but it got me thinking: the talk of the walled off area of the Titans living in a barbarous state that feels completely medieval while the world goes on around them feels particularly like a description of post-war Japan, and the errie visual similarities of going through Eren and Mikasa's old home combined with Japan's past with nuclear aftermath brings up this unsettling tone of a country that was somehow destroyed and left to stay that way by an uncaring populace which live outside. The idea that the Titans might also be representative of some nuclear-level power, and their continued presense is what holds the rest back from rejoining outside society is an undertone I don't know how to feel about yet. Like I said, I might be off the mark here, but there's just so much focus on it, I can't help but go there the longer I dwell on it.
While the direction and quality of this episode varied a bit from the last two, I think it did a fine job conveying the gravity of the change without ramming its significance down our throats. Attack on Titan has enough faith in its fans to draw their own conclusions, and the adaptation seems to follow suit.

With how little time is left, I do wonder how much time we'll get to explore any of what was raised here, but if this is how things have to end for Wit's time with the series, than it has been a blast to witness it that long.

Carole & Tuesday 10
Jesus, this Cybelle storyline they're doing is going right down the most predictable and rote path they could've possibly taken. Instead of a more nuanced story dealing with something like the girls' meteoric rise to fame causing one or both of them to suffer Imposter syndrome, or possibly the often teased but never explored family drama about Tuesday taking attention away from her mother's presidential campaign, or making Tao's actions and the way he manipulates Angela in the contest the core focus of what spooks Carole & Tuesday, no; instead, we have to watch as this otherwise unshakeable duo (who didn't have to be unshakeable, but they wrote themselves out of a conflict a few episodes back so now they have to cause a rift in a much less organic way) is being split up by the Machiavellian scheme of Tuesday's super-stalker Cybelle. This is just flat out stupid: why am I expected to take it on face value that these kinds of things could happen, especially when set against continuing this story on from the already sour sexual assault plot point of the last episode. And once again, most of the songs this week remained relatively unremarkable, save Pyotr's Justin Timberlake impression, which is the only decent thing about this entire arc I've actually enjoyed.

I feel like I'm going to keep going to the mid-point, but I already feel I'm ready to drop Carole & Tuesday, as this arc has burned through what goodwill I had left with the show. Goddamn, I'm so upset that this has really turned into something I not only don't look forward to, but feel bad for continuing to watch.

Sarazanmai 10
After the relatively tight storytelling of the previous episode, I think this one might have meandered with a lack of focus a little too much for its own good in the first half. I have to admit that the order of events that leads to the conflict in this episode did feel maybe a bit contrived, but I wonder if that was just a matter of the cutting between the different groups and how things ended up that way rather than the events themselves being contrived. Regardless, I've seen this show do this a bit more smoothly in the past, so it was a little bit of a disappointment in the first half. That said, the second half really delivered thanks to the information they share that finally brings Reo and Mabu's story full circle. It might not have hurt to sprinkle more of this throughout the series as a whole, but the conclusion it leads to is pretty fantastic so I won't complain all that much. I do wonder precisely how things will play out at the end, but I do feel that one more episode is really all that's needed to reach that satisfying conclusion. I shall miss Sarazanmai when it's over. It has been the brightest spark in an otherwise underwhelming season. Here's hoping Ikuhara nails the landing!

As for show's next season I'm looking to check out, there are more than I expected:

DEFINITELY WATCHING
Astra Lost in Space
Fire Force
How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files
Maidens of the Savage Season
Vinland Saga

WILLING TO CHECK OUT
Cop Craft
Granbelm
Danmachi (Season 2)
Dr. Stone
"Okaa-san Online"
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts

PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BUT WILL CHECK OUT ANYWAY BECAUSE I CLEARLY HATE MYSELF
Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? OR "I can't believe a girl left me her panties along with a love letter!"

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Shield Hero 23

A little too mmo esque now. Weapons just appearing out of thin air as drops is pretty dumb. L'Arc and Therese seem cool hopefully they don't turn out to be antagonists in some way. Suddenly not wanting to level with Naofumi's party anymore was a bit suspicious.

I'd thought the weapons appearing was Naofumi crafting them instantly, as the other heroes had told him he doesn't need to do it by hand due to his shield.

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
No idea. I have one of my friends living in Japan who works for the studio who makes this anime, MAHO FILM, that's why I am interested.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd thought the weapons appearing was Naofumi crafting them instantly, as the other heroes had told him he doesn't need to do it by hand due to his shield.

So I was excited to check out the Karma Dog's drop.
Oreikul Ore? I assumed it was something you could use to power up. I felt like I'd seen it somewhere before.
Huh?
"Karma Dog Claw?"
Judging by the name, maybe it was some sort of weapon? I quickly opened the menu to check it out.
There was a heavy clang, and two black claws jutted out of my shield.
"What's that?"
"I already explained it, remember? It's something the legendary shield can do."

So kinda crafting, kinda not. Legendary weapon doing its thing after absorbing a monster corpse.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Sarazanmai 10

I just want these boys to be happy but fate is making that harder and harder for them. Least my favorite of the bunch got saved.

Shield Hero 23

Yep feels like a grinding episode so there really wasn't much to say here.

Status
Not open for further replies.