• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
AX27CaD.png

Welcome to the official home of anime, or at least anime discussion on ERA, for Summer 2018. I am not an especially clever designer, but since no one else had the will to put a new season thread together, you'll just have to put up with it. So with no further ado, here's what looks interesting in the world of TV anime this summer.

ryjrKJo.png

1. Attack on Titan Season 3
Director: Masashi Koizuka
Studio: Wit Studio
Streaming: Crunchyroll
Trailer

The third season of the popular action series will cover the manga's dreaded politics arc.

2. Cells at Work
Director: Kenichi Suzuki (Drifters)
Studio: David Production
Trailer

An examination of how the human body operates through the lens of anthropomorphic cells. Undoubtedly the most educational anime of the season.

3. Banana Fish
Director: Hiroko Utsumi (Free!)
Studio: MAPPA
Streaming: Amazon
Trailer

An adaptation of the classic hardboiled 1980s manga about gangs, drugs, and love in New York City, with the setting updated to the present day.

4. Sirius the Jaeger
Director: Masahiro Ando (Under the Dog)
Studio: P.A. Works
Streaming: Netflix
Trailer

Werewolves vs. vampires in 1930 Tokyo. Sure to feature great action.

vLWiOqg.png

5. Yama no Susume: Third Season
Director: Yusuke Yamamoto (Knights and Magic)
Studio: 8-bit
Trailer

If you haven't been watching this charming, well-made series about girls who bond over mountain climbing, now is a perfect time to start.

6. Angolmois
Director: Takayuki Kuriyama
Studio: NAZ
Trailer

A drama about samurai defending Japan during the first Mongol invasion of 1274. (Spoilers: the Mongols did not conquer Japan.)

7. Planet With
Director: Youhei Suzuki (UQ Holder)
Original Creator: Satoshi Mizukami (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)
Studio: J.C. Staff
Trailer

It's a new series instead of his most famous manga works, and it doesn't have a great anime team working on it, but Mizukami has finally gotten an anime.

8. Tsukumogami Kashimasu
Director: Masahiko Murata (Baby Steps)
Studio: Telecom Animation Film
Trailer

A store in Edo Japan rents out tsukumogami - objects that have been around so long they've turned into spirits - out to various customers.

j5QuZLe.png

9. Hanebado!
Director: Shinpei Ezaki (Monster Strike the Movie)
Studio: Liden Films
Trailer

If you want girls playing hot-blooded, dramatically intense sports, this is for you. (Check out Sakuga Blog's writeup of the first episode.)

10. Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
Director: Tomohiro Furukawa (Yuri Kuma Arashi assistant director)
Studio: Kinema Citrus
Streaming: HIDIVE
Trailer

Girls attempt to gain entry into the prestigious song and dance revue troupe Starlight by flamboyantly fighting each other on stage.

11. High Score Girl
Director: Yoshiki Yamakawa (Kill Me Baby)
Studio: J.C. Staff/Shogakukan Music & Digital Entertainment
Streaming: Netflix
Trailer

There is a special irony that a manga centered on the golden age of 2D arcade games is getting a 3DCG adaptation.

12. Harukana Receive
Director: Toshiyuki Kubooka (Berserk: The Golden Age Arc movies II-III)
Studio: C2C
Trailer

Nothing says summer like beach volleyball. At least cool guy Rasmus Faber is doing the music.

Remember, whether or not you're interested in anything currently airing, all kinds of anime from all time periods are fair game to discuss in this thread!

Resources:
Currently Airing Anime Schedule (AniChart)
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2017 Results

Discussion Ground Rules:
- Please do not discuss piracy.
- Please keep it work-safe.
- Please do not be stupid.

Credit for images goes to Printer Paper 8 X 11.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posting because Hosanna told me not to.

Franxx end

Thank fuck it's over. What started out as a neat if not special mech series with a ton of potential ended with a mess of a production that was probably marred by constant rewrites leading to a massive waste of potential on all fronts from themes to characters. At least Futoshi found his happiness.

Ah well, no one will even remember this series in year, so whatever.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Watched My Hero Academia after a long anime hiatus. Love it. Please throw suggestions at me now for other stuff.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see more reactions to The first episode of Planet With because in traditional Mikazumi fashion it was weird as hell

Oct 25, 2017
I expect reimbursement for the push pins/tape I used to make that totally non-BGBW non-bootlegged banner.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro 1
Everything so far from this episode is screaming to me this will be a disappointing adaption, not Golden Kamuy disappointing adaption but likley Grand Blue level adaption disappointment (PV's for that looked rough unlike the PV's for Chio-chan).

Harukana Receive 1
Didn't expect much, didn't get much I guess that is a fair trade I'm willing to accept with this anime.

Hataraku Saibou (TV) 1
Will this be better produced then JoJo Part 5? Signs are pointing to yes, getting that out of the way...the first episode is giving me hope that this will be a fun, educational and generally well animated/looking show.

Planet With 1
All us Mizukami fans must of wished on particularly cruel monkey paw, yet I'm still okay with this since 1 Mizukami anime is still more then 0.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if i'm More forgiving of some of planet with's Flaws because i'm A Mikazumi fan and because I feel like all of his works take a bit to really get good

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for new thread:

Checking if there's any interest in having an AnimeERA group trip to Japan next year.

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 15-17 2019.

Going for 8-13 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late November 2018.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Had 3 different trips while at the old place with Line X, Theonik, zswordsman, Kewlmyc, ShadowSoldier89, tauke and ThreePi

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
Shibuya Crossing
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which has that giant Gundam statue and other stuff)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Daytrip to Hiroshima
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Uji (The city shown in Sound! Euphonium)
Other things you want to check out

People who's shown interest:
TUSR
Chet Rippo
Spyhunterzero
firehawk12
Fatal_Futanari
RZetko
cosmicblizzard
DiGiKerot
Theonik

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Darlifra 24 END

A very anime anime, to a degree I feel hasn't been around in quite some time.

The ending put me in the proverbial glass case of emotion, and also Ikuno/Naomi is canon. :sdburton

10/10, AOTY.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread. The one thing that I think it's lacking in the animes is to say if it's original or based in something (manga, LN, VN, games, novel, etc)

Also, Mizukami is doing series composition and storyboard for Planet With along the character design (and of course, the manga that launched some weeks before the anime). I think it could be mentioned if needed.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Planet With 01

i have no idea what's happening but I'm in

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, that new thread smell

I'm in for Banana Fish. Hopefully the writing is faithful cause the original has some Tarantino/Scorsese-worthy gangster dialogue.
And maybe Grand Blue/Hi Score Girl/Sirius if any of them turned out to be good. The original manga of the first 2 are some of my favorite comedies but too bad the anime production doesn't inspire much confidence, going by the PVs so far.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Planet With 01

God dammit, just make a Lucifer and the buscuit hammer anime. Why tease me like this.

On another note, loved it. Really interested in seeing where this goes. Actually did an audible what when they said he needs to defeat the heros.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Darling in the whatever

The ending was as good as it could be considering the lead up. Ehh probably wouldn't recommend this series to anyone.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Actually saw some anime at Anime Expo today, including:

Sirius the Jaeger 1-2

So I went to the US premiere of this. Overall it was a pretty enjoyable two first episodes, with some nice action. There are some plot threads that I am kind of iffy about, but otherwise it felt like a good start, and I am liking the main character for now. I also liked the opening quite a bit, both the song, and especially the visuals.

Yuliy does kind of a badass double takedown in Episode 2, and zomg his brother appearing to side with the vampires at the end there!

CEO of PA works and the music producer for this also made an appearance, which was neat. They said look forward to the US release soon, but what service will it be on damnnit.XD

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Cells at Work 1
This show is like a dream come true. This is all I ever wanted as a child, imagining the fights between white cells and bacteria. I love this.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually saw some anime at Anime Expo today, including:

Sirius the Jaeger 1-2

So I went to the US premiere of this. Overall it was a pretty enjoyable two first episodes, with some nice action. There are some plot threads that I am kind of iffy about, but otherwise it felt like a good start, and I am liking the main character for now. I also liked the opening quite a bit, both the song, and especially the visuals.

Yuliy does kind of a badass double takedown in Episode 2, and zomg his brother appearing to side with the vampires at the end there!

CEO of PA works and the music producer for this also made an appearance, which was neat. They said look forward to the US release soon, but what service will it be on damnnit.XD

Netflix with a 3-6 month wait :p

Probably not since they would have announced it at their panel.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably Crunchyroll since they like to announce stuff right before it airs

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Umamusume: Pretty Derby 13 FIN

Aside from that one trainer gag that I wish they would have dropped, this was a treat from to start to finish. I'd been waiting for this show for two years and expected something entertaining but nowhere near as solid as this was. I most definitely did not expect it to be as sports anime as it was nor did I expect it to be as wholesome as it ended up being. Positive thematic interpretation of rivalry was very welcome as the various characters had healthy relationships with one another that left them all the more well rounded in their presentation outside of the track I imagine that sense of growth together and elevating one another was probably an element lifted from idol anime. If so, that genre looks a little more appealing to me now.

Hinamatsuri 12 FIN

Great show in the end that had a start I really didn't care for. Hina/Nitta grew on me but their brand of humor never seemed to fire correctly in the beginning. Once other characters were introduced and it was clear their humor wasn't going to be the only type of humor offered by the show, the comedy had a much better flow to it. Anzu and Hitomi were the real stars of the show and I always felt a little robbed when neither of the two was on screen.. As I usually say, I'm not big on anime comedy in general but I liked this in very much the same way as I did Soremachi once it founds its groove.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online 12 FIN

Another surprise this season as I had initially expected to skip out on oit. Glad I didn't because it was incredibly entertaining in spite of its own production woes. I do remember someone bringing up animators fighting over cuts when it came to My Hero Academia and Toga. I got the same sense with Pito since she rarely, if ever, had the QUALITY look to her everyone else had at some time or another. Beyond the base concept, over the top violence, and escaping the general stink of SAO, I think a lot of credit goes to the great supporting cast keeping things entertaining throughout. In particular, Fuka was funny as hell and her lighthearted approach to the second squad jam helped maintain the perspective of it just being a game despite the life or death circumstances surrounding Pito.

Golden Kamuy 12 FIN

Ostensibly they should occupy the same space as GGO as it too is incredibly entertaining but aside from the production issues being worse, I think its biggest enemy was itself as the presence of superior readily available source material simply made a better alternative for people. There's a good show under the ugly but one can hardly be blamed for not toughing it out. I'll stick with the anime myself as the setting, premise, and characters are all A+. The side plots and schemes weaving their way back into one another has been especially good as has the character work in general where it seems like even the side characters have their own motivations and own stories to tell. I knew I'd be in for the Sugimoto/Asirpa stuff as the hunt for the gold is great but I didn't expect to end up enamored with various members of the 7th or Hijikata's crew.

Here's hoping the second cour has fewer issues and the BD corrections are substantial as one could see brief glimpses of how the show ought to look throughout this first cour.

Space Battleship Tiramisu 13 FIN

Gonzo came through in a big way with this short show. A little crude, maybe a little too referential, and a little low quality but it seemed balanced enough that anyone could enjoy it since there's quite a bit of humor for mecha fans to laugh at, enough daily struggle material anyone could relate to, and plenty of pointing out how the genre can be up its own ass for non-mecha fans.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
FLCL Progressive END
I didn't expect it to live up to the original and yet I'm still disappointed in what we got. Hopefully Alternative is far better in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
FLCL Progressive end

I'll be the first to say I was totally fine with this finale. Wasn't amazing, but was entertaining enough. My biggest issue was it seemed like there was more plot to be had, but I honestly felt the same way about the original FLCL.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross post from the spring thread

Another

Quite an enjoyable little thriller. Very gruesome at times. I feel like the plot suffered a bit too much from Auron Syndrome, where everyone is giving the MC and the viewer the run-around instead of being straightforward about what's really happening. That's just bad writing.

Amazing OP

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice banner!

I just found out what Cells at Work is about, I should probably check it out!

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
FLCL Progressive
The only remotely good parts about this entire thing were the two intro scenes with the zombies and the b&w Aninari one. It's not even about how it compares with the original either, it'd be a bottom of the barrel show in any random anime season

Oct 25, 2017
Anime Osmosis Jones 1

I kind of love this. Fast-paced, good production values, fun setting.

But damn, portraying platelets as children? This body better not get Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or shit will get dark real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.