• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Noein 5

Like...how do I even begin to try and understand what happened? So, Haruka has the power to swap pieces of different dimensions with her current one at will. Karasu did some weird overdrive thing but the Dragon Warriors are all actually children in tubes? What the Hell?

Oct 25, 2017

153813239706360ca9.gif

Monogatari will outlive us all.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Happy Sugar Life - End

Well I can say one thing about this ending, I was not expecting to feel the happy sugary goodness in a world surrounded by psychotic broken people.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

English dub trailer for Tada Never Falls in Love. Looks like they are going with Irish accents for this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Non Non Biyori 1&2- Y'all suggested this to my fiance and me back in the Spring OT, and now that we've finished all the Honey Works and Tsuki ga kirei, we're onto the last of your suggestions.
So far, we love it. The show is cute without beating any one particular joke or trope to death (the usual fatal flaw of slice of life shows).
Thanks for the suggestions.

Does the new season of anime start this weekend or next week? I'm still somewhat new to this.
I didn't start watching anime again until last Fall, if any of you remember me introducing myself last September in the NeoGAF thread.
I'm excited for new stuff, and want it already.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Birdboy: The Forgotten Children

So, Birdboy tells the story of the titular character and a few of his other antrophomorphic friends, the inhabitants of an island that, after some sort of catastrophe, became a den of poverty, drugs, gangs and just general hopelessness. Seeing a pronounced lack of perspectives and a certainty of misery, the aforementioned friends decide to escape the island and get to the mainland. (?) That's pretty much it for the gist of story other than Birdboy harboring a bloodthirsty demon inside him.

It has actually been a long, long time since this project entered my sights, courtesy of either /XX/ or Jexhius (sorry but I can't quite recall, it was literally years ago) but a while ago I finally managed get managed my hands on it. It didn't quite manage to live up to my expectations but it's at the very least a bit of change of pace and broadening of my anime-centric horizons.

Since most of my gripes and frustrations are plot centric, I'll start with the isolated plotlines. The movie is almost two separate stories in one, with the both of them only coalescing at the very end and to me, in a not very meaningful way. This wouldn't be much of a problem were those storylines good on their own but I found neither particularly engaging to be honest. Birdboy's is very cryptic (more on that later), consists mostly of him wandering about the island, a few flashbacks and him not actually interacting with anybody, as he's mute and all. The other part of the movie is Dinky, a mouse-like looking girlfriend of Birdboy and two of her pals getting into bigger and bigger, almost episodic, troubles while trying to run away from the island and their homes. This journey does serve as a nice excuse to portray the various parts of the island and their inhabitants but that's about it. Part of the problem I think is lack of any more pronounced character beats or arcs. Winky and her friends end their journey much as they began it and Birdboy himself is an frustrating, unexplained, cryptic enigma much like the mysteries and the questions the viewer asks himself during the viewing. What is the giant monster ? No answer. Why does it dwell inside Birdboy ? No answer.

Where the movie does well is in its portrayal, through striking but simple art and sardonic humour, of very mournful, decayed society and in a more thematic way, of a lost generation that has almost no way out into greener pastures what with the ending being a severe downer, with but a glimmer of hope. If you choose to interpret the ending in a positive way that is. On the balance however, this is still a mostly a missed opportunity to me, one that plays with some interesting concepts but fails to make the most of them due to the script.

Oct 25, 2017
Fall OT will be up around Noon EST on Sunday (OT Name pun still ain't decided so all ideas are welcomed), PM if your going to make an OT for specific show when your thread is created so I can link it in the OT. I'll reiterate the second point in the Fall OT thread. Fall should be better then Summer was since well....its hard for it to get any worse then that, though 2018 has shown us that Anime can keep on digging deeper into it's current hole each season even if we don't know how it could.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The disastrous Life of Saiki K

It was pretty good but eventually, the mostly cliché characters and their repetitive shticks became a bore. The base premise and Saiki felt more novel than I expected and, together with a fairly brisk pace, got me invested quite quickly early on. I wish, however, that it could've kept most of the craziness focuse on Saiki's powers and let the side characters not be quite so defined by their stupid antics.

6/10

I'll take a look at the second season but it would need some change for me not to lose my interested sooner rather than later.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Cygame's love for Daoko's music was pretty clear with the last Rage of Bahamut anime, but Dragalia Lost by them and Nintendo is just a game full of old and new music from her as if they made the game just for her music. Not that i am complaining but i feel a kindred spirit is working there to gift us with more of her vocals.

Oct 25, 2017
The disastrous Life of Saiki K

It was pretty good but eventually, the mostly cliché characters and their repetitive shticks became a bore. The base premise and Saiki felt more novel than I expected and, together with a fairly brisk pace, got me invested quite quickly early on. I wish, however, that it could've kept most of the craziness focuse on Saiki's powers and let the side characters not be quite so defined by their stupid antics.

6/10

I'll take a look at the second season but it would need some change for me not to lose my interested sooner rather than later.
If the 2nd season doesn't go off the rails from the manga then, no it will be more of the same with even a few more side characters!

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Does the new season of anime start this weekend or next week? I'm still somewhat new to this.
I didn't start watching anime again until last Fall, if any of you remember me introducing myself last September in the NeoGAF thread.
I'm excited for new stuff, and want it already.

First fall show seems to begin on Sunday

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Pilot 5
I was amused by Hisone's chats with the head of nao's dummy, even with the frequency you see these kinds of cast away gags.

Forest of Piano 1
While the piano playing scenes can be jarring, I still found them to be pretty effective in this first episode. I wasn't expecting the magical element of only Kai being able to play the broken piano. Strong episode to start off the story, and I am interested to see where it goes.

Did not care for the over the top bully.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So the Antarctica show is pretty great so far. I should've watched it when it originally aired. At least they'll get to Antarctica faster than a certain someone takes to get to the moon.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

Also, I posted the English trailer for Tada Never Falls in Love above. The show will premiere it's English dub on Sunday on HIDive.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
Happy Sugar Life - End

This was unironically the happiest way for this series to end. As Shio had gotten older and become a "dirty adult" as Satou's aunt would say, things would have begun to unravel and gone downhill real fast.

Oct 25, 2017
Free! Dive to the Future 12 END(?)
tumblr_pfq5jrhaFy1w74304_540.gif

Wait that was really the ending? Im like, so in need of more.

THe RinHaru moments + Mako was awesome and a good place to do things on, but this tourney. It felt like we needed one more episode or a movie. and then something set for the world tournament. 2020 hurry.

Ill be sad that that means most of the non RInHaruMako characters will probably be ditched (actually Mako too) so no more Momo cheering for his Rin or Sousuke helping his BFF out with the emotional support when Haru isnt there for him.

OST was awesome, really, everyones all over HeroAca ost, but Free! continues to pave the way for upping the bar on a musicians previous work, and delivering songs placed at the actually right moments for the right emotions. TeamTatsuyaKato

Also Haru showing loud emotion, loved it.
tumblr_pfp1tyWpYq1sxfvy5o2_500.gif

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Recovery of an MMO Junkie 1-10
This show was pretty adorable. The ending was a tad underwhelming but in line with the personalities of the characters I guess. Morioka and her facial expressions were so amusing throughout the course of the series. I love the OP song.

Also I'll watch that 11th episode tonight maybe, but I'm guessing it's just a random filler episode or something.

I'm in the mood for more romcoms or just comedies in general. Maybe Tada-kun next?

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
This season sucked overall, but the shows I did like I really liked. Revue Starlight was especially nice, and the final episode hit all the right notes, much like Toji no Miko did last season.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the mood for more romcoms or just comedies in general. Maybe Tada-kun next?

Tada-Kun plays the rom part a bit more straight I'd recommend Monthly Girls Nozaki Kun over it for an all round more entertaining cast.

There's also Jozu no Takagi-san, Tsuredure Children and Ore Monogatari (My Love Story) and My Little Monster.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Tsuredure Children and My Little Monster (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) got my vote

I've only seen snippets of Jozu no Takagi-san but it looks fun.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
MHA 63

Pretty lacklustre end point. Would probably have preferred Deku vs Bakugo to be the end of the season rather than introducing all these new characters and setting for an arc were not gonna see for a while.

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking in Anichart to see what I could watch this season... and man, thanks god the continuing series (JoJo, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Golden Kamuy), because the new IP landscape is pretty damn barren for me. I think I will watch the new sport Prod IG series about a marathon, that's it.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Why does High Score Girl finish where it did promising a 3 episode OVA in March next year, and My Hero Academia sets up the next arc promising a season 4 in the maybe foreseeable future, my heart can't take this waiting.

At least it won't (hopefully) be as long as we waited for JOJO PART 5. woooo.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
High Score Girl 12 [END]

I've always loved the manga, but this adaptation is really really damn good, you can tell everyone had their hearts and mind in the right place when making it, and you can see the efforts in it's quality. Haruo growing up to be a decent human being, Oono opening up to him and Hidaka trying her best to get what she wants. Knowing there will be a couple more episodes in march makes this even better, but i hope we also get a S2.

This will probably land in my top 3 of the season, most likely at #2. Fantastic success all around

Happy Sugar Life

Even though i dropped the manga, this adaptation also elevated the series. All characters that don't die (and some that do) are delightfully broken and messed up, and you wonder just how far back their issues go. Fantastic ending too. Love how some characters get both their comeuppance and at the same time feel utterly sad and broken.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Revue Starlight Episode 12:

I think I am calling this my AOTS and indeed maybe my AOTY, not sure if I thought this was better than A Place Further Than The Universe yet.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Don't see much for myself outside of Thunderbolt but I'm curious about and will check out Radiant which I hope will bring a bit of fresh air to genre.

If it succeeds Words of Radiance will surely follow !

Fall OT will be up around Noon EST on Sunday (OT Name pun still ain't decided so all ideas are welcomed), .

"Our demented tastes will never cease to astonish us."

"Winter is finally coming"

(I'll walk myself out.)

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MHA s3 END
Oh, I like these kids. The girl asks all the right questions, the Sasuke look-a-like f nothing like Sasuke and Japanese Tintin is smart and strong. Jiro likes what she sees haha!

Oct 25, 2017
BeyBLade Burst Evolution Episode 37 EngDub

Boa Alcazaba getting fans is like the best thing ever, after being kicked out of the snakepit and seeing him rise through the underground is pretty awesome.

But beyond that FREE DE LA HOYA making a glorious return to BC Sol is the most exciting thing, like wow.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Score Girl 12 END

A-part: THE MOST BLESSED CONTENT I HAVE EVER SEEN

B-part: Hidaka how are you so amazing - wait fuck are you really going to - OH SHIT YOU DID - WHAT THE FUCK YOU CAN'T END IT THERE HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT UNTIL MARCH

I wasn't sure how to feel about this show at the beginning of the season, but my god did it grow on me. It just gets better and better as it goes on and I feel incredibly invested in the characters' growth and sweet relationships at this point. But my god how am I or Haruo supposed to choose between these two best girls it's really not fair at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Blue Dreaming END
DoNAXFdU0AASw63.jpg:small

I will miss one of the best otp's of the season and one of the funniest anime Ive seen in a long time. Was so funny to see this take of college life with some aspects of diving, an unconventional club. Dont know if it'd make me go for the manga, but still fun,

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MHA S3 25 END
Okay set up for next season and another lesson for Deku that hard work and determination pay off. Mirio is probably one of the more interesting characters in the series so far and hopefully the adaptation does this next major arc justice.

That said, this season was okay. It definitely had some very strong moments during some of the big fights and events, but still fell a bit flat when it mattered most. I'm still disappointed in how Deku v Bakugo episodes were handled. I will say the pacing this season was really good, tho maybe time could have been better used expanding on a few events as opposed to including two full filler episodes.

I expect we'll see season 4 sometime later in 2019 depending on just how far along they are with the new season.
Revue Starlight Episode 12:

I think I am calling this my AOTS and indeed maybe my AOTY, not sure if I thought this was better than A Place Further Than The Universe yet.
I really need to watch this, don't I?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Gundam Unicorn

I was actually pretty surprised that the box didn't turn out to be something stupid. It was lame in a sense(like Full Frontal and his incredibly banal plan).
Pretty much felt like a big checklist of stuff id expect to see in a gundam show. it was okay but im not swelling up about it in any way.
I kind of want to watch the second season of 00 (even though the first is personally bottom 3 gundam for me) because iv heard it gets hilariously OTT.

Konsuba S1

Got some chuckles.

Oct 25, 2017
FutureCard Buddyfight ACE Episode 12 EngDub
DoRO3-oXcAEKXGE.jpg:small
DoRO3_JWsAAJi6g.jpg:small

Well maximum sadness and depression unlocked and reaching the maximum point since about a few episodes ago when it was being teased. How sad and unfortunate to sit in your room in the dark alone crying at videos of your best friend forever smiling and having the time of his life eating pizza and while he is at a party to celebrate all the great and wonderous things to happen to him, while youre left alone and sad and with nothing, Im so sad for Ranma Kakogawa, Ranma :(

Oct 25, 2017
neo new Cardfight!! Vanguard Episode 17 EngDub
DoRSnGRXkAEmDhq.jpg:small

Short crew is pretty funny especially how Kyou is actually helping Aichi realize that he loves cardfight and can help people, also Kamui the great tugging his big bro Aichi around is hilarious.

Misaki using Lozenge Magus is awesome, now I just need my other oracle think tank cards to show up. Goddess of the Full Moon Tsukuyomi where are you?!

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
What's everyone planning to watch in the fall season? For me it's:

Bloom into You - Good yuri drama/romance.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind - David Pro's Jojo might be the greatest battle shounen anime adaptation ever. I read the source material and really liked it, too.
SSSS.Gridman - It's Trigger of course, praise Trigger!, but I have to admit I liked Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad as a kid.
Sword Art Online Alicization - This is like 45% cultural literacy, 45% morbid curiosity, and 10% hope that it will actually be meritorious in some respect.
Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2 - More hype puppet action, hype Sawano music, and hype Urobuchi dialogue.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
My review of the Summer anime season shows that I watched.

Island - more VN bullshit. Forgettable.
Hanebado - way, way, way too serious for a show about badminton. And then it morphs into a show about Ayano going apeshit over everyone and how much her mother is a piece of shit. Meh.
Harukana Receive - sports anime in the opposite direction from Handbado. The yuri is strong with this one. The characters are very likable.
Chio's School Road - I thought this would be stupid, but it turned into a gem. One of the best anime this season. Great.
Encouragement of Climb - I wish there would be more climbing and less drama, but a great continuation of the franchise.
Angels of Death - "Isaac, kill me. Isaac, kill me. Isaac, kill me." Insufferable, annoying characters. Hasn't concluded yet (4 more episodes in OVA form). Last episode did up the ante though.
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord - anime was a mistake. Final episode was complete shit.
The Master of His Smartphone and Blesser of Many Horny Girls - anime was a mistake, part 2.
Happy Sugar Life - the most disturbing anime of all time? I think it has the most fucked up characters than any other anime before it.
Dropkick On My Devil - Humorous, but I'm confused on Jashin and Medusa's relationship? Yuri or not?
Revue Starlight - Dropped, but will pick up again. Major Utena vibes.

And the winner?

Asobi Asobe - We all thought we were getting cutesy slice of life, but got girls being gross instead. Fantastic. The ED is love.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy-The Sword of Life and Death
First half consists of a tournament arc broken up by conversations between Gale and Phoenix Killer. So needless to say I enjoyed it a lot. I know Gale's games almost caused an apocalyptic event in the first season, but they came off as a lot more sadistic here. The origin of the Screaming Phoenix killer name did not disappoint. The twist about how the tournament and how it was playing out was pretty good, even if you knew something was up.

Second half was hilarious.

Looking forward to S2.

Status
Not open for further replies.