• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Persona 5 is going on break? Looks like it isn't continuing till maybe end of the year. OVA announced for end of the year

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
They're gonna have to create new types of chainsaws for the type of hack job we're gonna see.
They're plenty experienced, see - live footage from the studio:
VS4wFRO.png

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Tada-Kun plays the rom part a bit more straight I'd recommend Monthly Girls Nozaki Kun over it for an all round more entertaining cast.

There's also Jozu no Takagi-san, Tsuredure Children and Ore Monogatari (My Love Story) and My Little Monster.
I've watched Nozaki already but I'll also jot down those other recs (: I also want to watch Tsuki Ga Kirei.

Oct 25, 2017
Cells at Work Episode 13 END

Unexciting ending since it was clear how this would have to end. Was far more interesting when it was the body's own defenses saving the day than the balm from the heavens.

Other autoimmune diseases ought to have been done for the anime, as well as issues involving the CNS, BoneRepair and Healing, Eyes, and Hair.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone planning to watch in the fall season? For me it's:

Bloom into You - Good yuri drama/romance.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind - David Pro's Jojo might be the greatest battle shounen anime adaptation ever. I read the source material and really liked it, too.
SSSS.Gridman - It's Trigger of course, praise Trigger!, but I have to admit I liked Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad as a kid.
Sword Art Online Alicization - This is like 45% cultural literacy, 45% morbid curiosity, and 10% hope that it will actually be meritorious in some respect.
Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2 - More hype puppet action, hype Sawano music, and hype Urobuchi dialogue.
Waaay too much.

Boarding School Juliet: Maybe. I've read some chapters of the manga and it was neat, but I think this is probably something I'm only going to watch a few episodes of, if any
Bunny Girl-senpai: The source material is fun (the title is a huge lie btw).
Double Decker: Looks interesting, and Sunrise.
Goblin Slayer: Should be entertaining but I sure hope they massively tone down the unnecessary gross shit the manga included
Hinomaru-Zumou: The manga is good
Index S3: Well, it's a sequel to a series I've been watching and liked
JoJo Part 5: It's JoJo
Karakuri Circus: Another Fujita adaption, the manga is amazeballs so hopefully this will be able to capture some of that.
Radiant: Looks interesting
Release the Spyce: Looks interesting
SAO: Mostly morbid curiosity and I guess it will look pretty and have nice music.
Slime Isekai: The source material is fun
SSSS.Gridman: Trigger and that Sakuga Blog paragraph sure made me intrigued
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2: No explanation needed
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemy Knights: Looks interesting
Zombieland Saga: Looks interesting

So yeah, most of it is either a sequel, just "looks interesting" or "I'm familiar with the source material so I want to check it out".
I'll probably drop half of those by the second episode though, unless they all turn out to be really good.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Hm...

Guess it's gonna be backlog. I should check these out sometime though :P

Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudou-bu - Cause KyoAni
Hashiri Tsuzukete Yokattatte - Voice actor stuff and it's a short so why not.

I should probably watch Index and Railgun as well...

OP
OP
HosannaExcelsis
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Persona 5 the Animation finally justified its existence, at least to some extent. I thought Ishihama was phoning it in a bit for his first OP, but now that we've finally (almost at the very end!) gotten his finished second OP he's definitely gone all out with the Ishihama-isms. Still edging a bit more towards the spastic collection of imagery in the second half than I'd ideally like, but overall very good. The train sequence that match cuts through the various characters around the MC is very well done.

Oct 25, 2017
Kitaro 25

I liked this episode a lot besides the Banksy/Black Mirror shit of "wot if ye looked at yer fone and it kill ye"

I guess Persona 5 the Animation finally justified its existence, at least to some extent. I thought Ishihama was phoning it in a bit for his first OP, but now that we've finally (almost at the very end!) gotten his finished second OP he's definitely gone all out with the Ishihama-isms. Still edging a bit more towards the spastic collection of imagery in the second half than I'd ideally like, but overall very good. The train sequence that match cuts through the various characters around the MC is very well done.

thats the most ishihama op since psycho-pass 2

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Happy Sugar Life - END
I've been thinking for a few episodes the Shio is some kind of Eldritch abomination that sucks the sanity out of anyone who gets in contact with her or her apostle Satou. The ending didn't completely disprove that. The only problem is that this hypothesis doesn't explain Satou's aunt who was already broken well before Shio's birth.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Aw damn, P5A is over. D: Still need to catch up on last week's episodes.

Only thing I am currently interested for the fall is Thunderbolt Fantasy and maybe SSSS.Gridman (since it is Trigger).

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

These are the only works I'm genuinely interested in:

JoJo's Part 5
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2

I will also check out Trigger's show because I have a strange compulsion to give it a chance.

Hopefully some other works will end up good, but nothing sounds promising based on the synopsis I've read.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
My Hero Academia 63 - S3 END
A relatively neat introduction to a pretty interesting character, one of the more noteworthy ones to emerge from this season. It's pretty clear what his backstory is even if he doesn't really spell it out, but that makes the potential of his relationship with Deku all the more fascinating when that inevitably comes to light later on.

That said, I probably have the next six months to decide if I really want to keep up with My Hero Academia anymore. This season has been lacking a lot of the little touches that helped Season 2 stand out from the series' shaky introduction, and some of the beats closer to the end of the season feel like they're approaching the kind of character growth that's plagued with unnecessary wheel-spinning that effect so many long-running shounen series. Combined with the less-than-stellar handling of the material and I wonder if I wouldn't be happier capping off my time with MHA by seeking out the movie and leaving it at that, simply following the manga if I want to see what happens going forward?

Cells at Work! 13 - END
While I appreciate the lifted imagery from various disaster movies and some of the music tracks in the more dramatic moments that I swear I hadn't heard before, this didn't feel like it came together as well as the build-up to the disaster last episode. As DTL mentioned, it's not exactly a surprise at the solution to this particular predicament, though they try to do as much with that concept as they could in the time they had at the end.

Overall, Cells at Work! has been a weird series. It started off so well, but its pretty obvious that early on the series was pushed back in priority compared to Captain Tsubasa and the upcoming JoJo: Part 5. It's a shame that it ends up cutting so many corners production-wise since David Production have such a good grasp on making some of the more ridiculous elements feel oddly palpable. That said, there's annoyances that ended up mounting into bigger problems as the show went on, like repeated asides to explain concepts that had previously been introduced before, not to mention that the cell-of-the-week format meant the episodes were often carried entirely on the backs of how interesting the guest characters were. I will miss Cells at Work!'s oddball "shounen-ization" of bodily functions, but in the end some puzzling directorial choices and the general lack of polish throughout most of the series means I'll likely remember it more as a missed opportunity than a quirky gem.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Magi Episode 25 END
BIaisWE.jpg

It was a fun ride, awesome sound track with cool lore.

Anyone know if there is a season 2?

Revue Starlight Final
That was truly a beautiful show. It has similar vibes to A Place Further than the Universe with characters finding their faults and what they do to improve, relationships between the cast, and unique animation and style. Universe goes a more grounded approach where Revue is more metaphor heavy.
__aijou_karen_shoujo_kageki_revue_starlight_drawn_by_atychi__sample-4ecf7ff039440e4bb1bd8f65290a013a.jpg

(Artist: atychi)
See you Starlight

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's everyone planning to watch in the fall season?
  • JJBA Part V is the obvious choice.
  • If Fairy Tail is nice and vibrant, I'll watch it to pass the time. If it's as washed out as the last season's, I'll avoid depressing myself.
  • I would have said Goblin Slayer, but the female characters have those stupid outfits I keep on seeing in far too many of these series. I wish they could just dress normally. Also, I heard something about rape scenes.
  • Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara looks boring as hell, but I'll give it a few episodes.
  • Radiant looks like it could be fine. I saw a stupid looking sword in one of the PVs. I'll ignore what I saw and go into this without the pessimism.
  • Then there are two 'cute boys doing things while being cute' series. The running one looks like it might actually be good. I don't have the highest of hopes for the archery one. I mean it's archery! ZzzZzz
  • Interestingly, there is also an 'uggos doing things while ugly' series which I'll try since people have been speaking highly of it. Sumo wrestling really doesn't interest me, though.
  • Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san looks fine.
I haven't actually checked how many of these I'll even be able to watch. There are a few more I'm sort of interested in. But only sort of. I expect a 66% casualty rate. Uggos, archery bishies, Radiant and the boring looking magical show being among the casualties, most likely. But who knows? Maybe I'm surprised.
Anyone know if there is a season 2?
Uh, if this is Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, then yes, there is a 2nd season.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Planet With 06

Already ? Well then 5,5/10. Kudos at least for not soiling revenge story with all the usual "revenge is bad" crap and for treating seigi no mikata as an asylum bound loon for once, that's actually pretty groundbreaking.

I think part of my problem with show is that there's something about Mizukami's quirkyness that just doesn't mesh with me. I'm sure I'm being a hypocrite and have enjoyed some other shows in similar vein in the past but when the climactic showdown fight for the fate of the earth happens and one party happens to be a goofy looking doggy and a woman in revealing outfit doing silly poses I just can't help but mentally eject.

Some of that dragon CG was painful too.

Revue Starlight 03
I like you already.

Episode felt weird to me in that it completely failed to even bother with setting up the whole Karen vs Tendo duel. As such even my usual struggle to take seriously the giraffe and cutesy 16 (?) year olds swinging swords at each other for a role in school play was only compounded when it was down to only the duelling and singing part to highlight the ideas and motivations behind the both characters. Also, it's been a while but I think earlier episodes were much more interesting visually before getting into the elevator ? This was just bland.

Sirius the Jaeger 10

Should have made him the main villain. AOTY guaranteed.

Last edited:

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I've got a short list, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it right now. Unfortunately, some developments in the last few days haven't allowed me to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy in time for the second season's debut, so I won't be able to follow that until my schedule frees up. As for what's on my list of shows to check out right now:
  • Bloom Into You: Everyone says the manga is excellent, but I worry it won't be able to escape After the Rain's shadow for me this year. I hope to be proven wrong, but TROYCA is often a wild card and reception to director Makoto Katou's debut show, Beautiful Bones/Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru, was... mixed to say the least (haven't seen it myself, I'm afraid).
  • Goblin Slayer: In Girls' Last Tour director Takaharu Ozaki we trust, though I'm not fully convinced the source material won't be the reason I drop it same as Grimoire of Zero last year. Throughly edgy light novels aren't really my thing, but White Fox has made a name for themselves recently with adaptations that attempt to elevate their source material, with various degrees of success. Here's hoping this one pans out.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo: More JoJo is always welcome, but impressions of the leaked first episode are giving me cause for concern after Diamond is Unbreakable's exceptional adaptation. I don't mind the return to a more Stardust Crusaders-esque style, but I don't see how it won't lead to an even bigger meltdown than they had last time around.
  • Release the Spyce: My interest here is primarily centered on Spyce being a combat-infused moe show like Girls und Panzer or Princess Principal. I don't know much about the staff or Lay-duce apart from their work on that Fate/Grand Order: First Order, but I hope this will turn out relatively decently. The PV has me a little worried there might end up being a lack of focus or consistency beyond the basic concept.
  • SSSS.Gridman: I'm hoping that Trigger manage to put together something interesting with this one, since there's been so much chatter about some big developments they aren't showing or talking about. I can't help but admit that after Planet With this one's got a big role to fulfill as the premier mecha show of the season. Let's hope Trigger phoning in what they contributed to Darling in the FranXX paid off here.
  • Sword Art Online: Alicization: Hey, everyone should have a reliable comedy to watch every season! In all seriousness, I'm morbidly curious to see a different team take on the material will look like, as the PV gives off a very different vibe than previous seasons. But the best reason to watch will be to listen to some more sweet sweet tunes from Yuki Kajiura.
That's pretty much it for me, honestly. I'm going to continue watching both GeGeGe no Kitaro and Attack on Titan, even with the latter's disappointing first cour. And I do hope to have time once I settle on shows to catch up on puppets and watch Castlevania: Season 2 at the end of October. But I imagine it's going to be a quiet season for me, which is all well and good because I have a fairly large backlog to start working through.

Oct 25, 2017
Beatless Final Stage Episode 21 to END

Well was an awesome ride the whole way, Lacia forever and all the ideals of if Higgins ought to be released to the world or not (thanks for Ryo leading that portion of the story) and to Lacia and Arato for broadcasting exactly what goes down where the super AI's are and all the simulations and Red Box's they create. Kind of like having have a dungeonesque final battle and it being broadcast everywhere, and then the final portion of the plot being resolved by Arato.

Havent had an anime this gripping for its final leg in awhile, as it and everything it presented was so compelling.

Most memorable moment was when Lacia managed to get the IAIA and AASC order to block every hIE for a small segment of time and all the hIE's just pause around the world. Shocking and intriguing, then further when they were like all the major markets and economies had crashed even. An AI apocalypse is unique.

Will miss Beatless.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'll try more shows than those I will name here but these are the more important ones:
Sword Art Online: Alicization - it's SAO. Also a friend told me that the arc is pretty good in the novels.
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara - it sounds like my kind of show and it's P.A Works, which means that I must try it.
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru - really liked Haikyuu so I have to try it.
Bloom into You - if I'm not wrong, it's a more serious yuri rather than a fluffy one, so I'm interested.
SSSS.Gridman - Trigger.

Like I said, I'll try most shows but these are the more important ones.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
For me its:
Goblin Slayer - Mostly because of people saying the source is good, but PVs haven't been filling me with confidence.
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara - Looks like a nice romance.
RELEASE THE SPYCE - Princess Principal but ninjas instead. Sounds great.
Bunny Girl-senpai - Same as Goblin Slayer, tho from what I heard this sounds more like my type of show.
SSSS.GRIDMAN - I hope this is better than Franxx...

If I didn't hate circuses I imagine I would enjoy Karakuri Circus, and if it was Railgun instead I would watch Index 3. I was also planning to watch RErideD, but the already released eps were pretty mediocre, so I'm dropping that. Otherwise, backlog season for me.

I'm also thinking of watching Revue Starlight. I was looking back at the year, and I don't think I have enough stuff to fill the 10 positions for AOTY...

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much only gonna watch Jojo and SSSS next season, anything beyond will be reliant on reccomendations

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
It would if the source material didn't have such a poor reputation.

Well, let me then, clearly the acknowledged paragon of good taste round these parts, assure you that after a while, it becomes just a very comfy jrpg (for better or worse) adventure. Almost a Konosuba. With a tiny sprinkle of sea of butchered goblins on top of that.

You just have to shut your eyes really hard during the first/second/ (I don't really remember when it stops)/ episode !

(LN is said to have little or none of 'those' things so maybe they'll go by that.)

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna say that the last episode of MHA was a bit weak compared to last season. Should have ended it on the Deku and Bakugo fight if anything.

I'm somewhat excited and dreading the next since I like Overhaul and the fight against him but I feel that the arc dragged the bit, and since it will likely be what the whole season 4 is about with the exception of 1-3 episodes....yeah.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
This season did not do a whole lot for me but there is a large number of shows that look interesting next season, I'm pretty excited!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5A 26 (END??????????)

Weird messaging about how the future of this is going to work. There is an OVA coming but unless it's movie length you can't cover barely anything that needs to be covered. I definitely want to say it's extremely ballsy to finish off the series with the implied Bad End. Also sucks people who were just watching the anime and haven't played the game will have to wait for the amazing pay off of everything. Conflicted on this anime cause it mostly was just a worse version of the game. If you got a PS4/PS3 and haven't played it, go play it you dummies.

Also nice choice to use Freedom and Security for the end credits.

At least we will get more P5 content in PQ2.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Cells at Work End
screenshot_100.png

Boy I hope the human they live in stops living off garbage, and exploding every week.

Cute show. Certainly nothing revolutionary, but fun.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm gonna watch quite a few series:

1. Radiant: gotta support my fellow countryman, and the art looks cool. I also bought the first 8 volumes of the manga but it's taking forever to ship. Damn you Amazon
  2. Hinomaruzumou: I want to check out all the Shounen Jump series and it's apparently pretty good.
  3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Love me some JoJo, and this part has absolutely brutal fights so it should be entertaining, plus looking forward to that muda muda scene.
  4. Golden Kamuy 2: watched the first season, found out enjoyable so I'll keep on watching.
  5. Le cirque de Karakuri: the PV was intriguing so I'll check it out.
  6. And I'll carry on watching the second half of this season of Baki. It's a lot of fun. Just a shame about the occasional CGI. One thing I noticed is that this anime just flies through the content but you don't even notice it because so much of the original manga is really detailed drawings of fists hitting people's faces haha. We went through 97 chapters in 14 episodes so far.
And AOT might be going on a break right? I really wanted to see the second half but if we get better quality by waiting I'm all right with it.

Last edited:

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happy Sugar Life 12 -

What

the

Fuck

I mean you could not have expected a happy ending from this show anyways but still.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Cells That Work Episode 13:

Not a pathology expert but I could feel the limits of this series at points like how it has never gotten into blood types and body rejection which should have played a part in the characterization of the immune system seeing new and different blood cells.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Shows I'll at least check out an episode of:
Jojo Part 5 and Thunderbolt Fantasy S2-Sequels to shows I enjoy
Karakuri Circus-Adaptation will be rushed but am still curious, especially as the manga probably won't be fully translated into english anyways.
Run with the wind-I would probably check out any IG sports anime, but I'm also interested since the source material is from the same author who wrote The Great Passage novel
Radiant-A french comic getting an anime is neat
Ace Attorney Season 2- An adaptation of a game I really like, not too hopeful though
Hinomaru Zumou- An adaptation of a manga I really like, not too hopeful though

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Fall looks pretty boring to me. winter 2019 is where the hype is at.

will probably only watch Jojo but I might just wait for it to finish. Radiant also looks cool.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy - Sword of Life and Death
Finally got to watching this. Fuck I knew Enigmatic Gale was a dick and only dealt with villains but goddamn him fucking over Sha Wu Sheng was fuckin harsh :( I know they said he killed a shit ton of people but I guess it's more difficult to grasp personally when only said in dialogue compared to being seen. Dude was on the path to redemption and then it all got fucked over and even killing the man that raised and trained him. Rough.

Glad I waited to watch due to the 2nd part leading up to the sequel coming up on Monday.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Tada-kun 1-4
Show seems like a pretty routine romcom, but I've enjoyed it so far. Hopefully Pin realizes who Hina is eventually...if he doesn't know already.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As usual, my plan for next season is to check basically everything out and see what sticks. The things I'm looking forward to above all else, though, are of course Jojo Part 5 (it's Jojo. What more needs saying) and SAO Alicization (yes, I'm an unironic SAO fan. So sue me. I loved the heck out of this arc in the novels, so I'm hoping the anime can do it justice.)

I will say, though, that even aside from those two, there's an awful lot next season that looks potentially really promising. I'm feeling hopeful about it turning out to be a top-tier season.

Yami Shibai S6 - 13 END

Yet another deliciously creepy concept, and pretty well executed too. I can't deny that final moment sent a shiver straight down my spine.

Overall this has been a pretty strong season for Yami Shibai - there were a few somewhat weak episodes, particularly earlier in the season, but there's definitely been more winners than duds, and it's done a great job of showing that even after six seasons of this, they can still come up with plenty of great unique ghost story concepts. Bring on Season 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.