• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
My Hero Academia 57
I appreciate that this is one area that Class 1-A are clearly outmatched. Most of their experiences with villains up until now haven't really focused on the idea of mass evacuation and triage in the face of a terrorist attack or natural disaster, so seeing them outclassed by more experienced schools was a nice touch, even if it was interesting thinking of the numerous ways they could combine and utilize their skills more naturally than they're doing at the moment. I'm curious when the schools are going to put their differences aside and work together in groups that more effectively combine thanks to the synergy of their Quirks, especially now that the test has begun in earnest thanks to the latest development. I'm curious to see who takes charge in some sense, as natural leaders will have to give some direction lest they get overwhelmed considering the challenge facing them now.

Cells at Work! 7
Ooof, this was one rough-looking episode! I'm not going to lie, that was painful to watch considering how much the production slid from its relatively decent quality up until now. Even in some of the still shots near the end, the amount of laughably off-model character art combined with the amount of panning still shots during action scenes left me thoroughly disappointed for what should've been an action-packed conclusion to the Cancer Cell arc. Content aside, I'm glad I actually know how cancer works on a cellular level already, because most of the accompanying explanations about certain functions of cancer didn't stay on the screen nearly long enough to read in their entirety. I appreciate them not pausing to explain everything, but if you're going to put notes up you need to leave them up long enough to read them, not just for one second. So yeah, probably the first real let down for me from the series, but hopefully this will not be indicative of the rest of the season's quality production-wise. The tease for next week's episode looked better than most of this episode did, so I have hope.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banana Fish 7

I have to admit I'm starting to tire of this show's rather samey drama. This episode felt particularly repetitive, being the second episode in a row where the gang drop in on some civilian family members only for said family to later get rudely interrupted by a bunch of generic "bad guys" who are probably going to murder the innocent people to get at Ash. The exposition about "Banana Fish" being the name of the drug itself felt like a very "didn't we know that already?" moment, too.

The new little drama with the Chinese family blackmailing Ash's friend made for a pretty intense little confrontation, but I dunno, it feels like there's something missing to keep me properly engaged with this show as a whole. Tempted to drop it, but I'll give it another week at least.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Escaflowne 4 & 5
This show never ceases to be amazing. Didn't think I'd see this much character development this early on.

Nice to see Dilandu get cut by Van. "WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO MY BEAUTIFUL FACE?!"

What I'd give for another fantasy anime of this caliber.

Last edited:

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
MHA 57
Dk5_Y5g_WVAAENjo_Z.jpg

Here's the rub with this arc. Neither the test nor the new characters are interesting enough to carry this arc. It doesn't help that the production has been very middling as of late.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight 6

Futaba and Kaoruko are a pretty cute couple. I find it hard to put into words what's so appealing about their awfully imbalanced relationship dynamic, but there's definitely something special there.

Kaoruko certainly didn't come off as the most admirable character here - she's a terribly spoiled ojousama who leans on her childhood friend beyond the point of reason - but it feels like that reliance is rooted in a powerful bond of trust and affection that goes deeper than even family. That's why she was able to throw her little tantrum knowing that Futaba would still be there to bring her back to her senses in the end, and that's why I think she'll ultimately be able to overcome her weaknesses for Futaba's sake.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Cells at Work 7

Cancer Cell getting some development, oh man. I guess it is a interesting take, but in the end, fuck cancer to infinity.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Cells Kill Cancer 7

Yep the production has mostly become a slideshow, but I'd be lying if I said this episode wasn't enjoyable.

Also that cancer cell was basically Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5A 20

The Beauty Thief intro scene was funnier here than in the game from what I remember. I wonder if the next episode will cover the whole dungeon.

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5A Episode 20

Obligatory JPN business mogul arranged marriage for strengthened business deal potential episode (is this even a thing IRL?)

SAO is the only time the arranged marriage thing has been somewhat interesting and suspenseful, and here for P5A it just feel substandard. Oh well, Mishima was the only one who gave something worthwhile to pay attention too, while Ryuji's emotions over Morg was somewhat interesting.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Was this posted already? Hoshiai no Sora no trailer. I don't remember if Production I.G's new sport anime airs next season too, either way next season should be interesting for sport anime.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Daily Lives of High School Boys ~6-12 END

Greatest love story ever told ... was a lie ...

Honestly that fake graduation thing got me. Though they were for real. Good show overall that I should have given a real chance much earlier, with what I think is fairly unique brand of comedy, effectively executed and succeeding at making me laugh or smile most of the time. Some skits are a miss but are usually bearable. But one thing somewhat weirded me out. It was the depiction of female characters, who, or at least most of them, are violent, often plain bullies and even faceless a lot of the time. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be some conscious depiction of how HS men think of women or just there but it sometimes got discomforting. The 4th wall breaking also got tired very quickly, yes I get it, you're self aware, move on. Beyond that, I've no more complaints, a very strong comedy that just earned itself a spot on my comedy rec list. And on a list of Takumatsu's shows I actually managed to enjoy as the one and only position now that I think of it. lul

Fate/ Extra Last Encore 11-13 END

Thought it was a decent effort at salvaging the unsalvable. With time given, the production was clearly in better shape and Shaft actually managed to put together a not comical fight scene in #12. (shame there was no reprise for #13) I will say that the entire setup of and structure of the series being some kind of VR thing coupled with a lot of verbose Holy Grail lore nonsense kept me cold from the beginning and finale doesn't really make those things go away and sports some of its own flaws like incessant, overwrought and boring villain monologues,but in the process I've found something to savor and that was the MC's arc. It's not exactly flawless or subtle but it's there all the way up and especially after and during finale when everything meshes together in a pretty poetic but sad ending that you get to take of account of the journey that led here and appreciate it. I still wouldn't really recommend this show to anyone but at least it went out on a relatively high note.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Angels of Death 7

Rachel with a gun > Rachel without a gun

Rachel is more interesting when she isn't talking with another character. I'm guessing she's just as insane as the rest of the people there. I think it's possible she also murdered her parents. Also liking the more surreal portions that the new murderer has brought. I'm glad this show has really gotten better after a somewhat weak start.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Banan Fish #7

F2RHOaB.jpg

Holy shit mate GOTTA GO FAST. This adaptation is hot garbage, it's just dumping scenes one after another. The only good things coming out of it are Shorter re-design and Ash IQ memes.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Cells at Work 7

Well that was a bit depressing. Fuck cancer, it's just shitty in every way.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shichisei no Subaru 7

clive wat r u doing

Also lol Takanori is just plain tsundere at this point.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Was this posted already? Hoshiai no Sora no trailer. I don't remember if Production I.G's new sport anime airs next season too, either way next season should be interesting for sport anime.

Looks really good and Kazuki Akane is writing and directing. Was worried that it was airing next season but nope has a 2019 broadcasting date attached so it still has some time.

I very badly want a tennis Haikyuu.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 the Animation - 20

The adaptation's doing a great job with this arc so far. The humorous moments with Haru's "alter ego" were really pretty funny with their comic timing, and the heartfelt moments with Morgana's rebellion and making up with the group, as well as Haru's bonding with the team, were all really touchingly executed.

Also Haru is still just a really lovely person in general. If the transcendental wonder that is Futaba didn't exist, I might be tempted to stan her as lowkey P5 best girl.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Hataraku Saibou Episode 7

Really enjoyed this episode and how it presents Cancer. It really highlights what Cancer really is; it could have been a regular cell, however, due to genetic mutation of the cell's DNA, alongside errors during cellular replication, it is unable follow normal cellular processes and function.

The personification of Cancer and its backstory is very creative, and makes Cancer (as a character) a very tragic villain.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Score Girl 6

She's…even more inscrutable than she used to be.

Words, Oono! Have you heard of using them?! You should give it a try sometime!

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was really admirable.

First Nation Teen Keeps Language Alive by Dubbing Sailor Moon

Westin Sutherland is hoping to inspire youngsters to learn indigenous languages by creating dubs of some of his favorite animated series, including Spongebob Square Pants, The Proud Family, and Sailor Moon. Sutherland is from Peguis First Nation in Manitoba and began learning the Anishinaabemowin and Cree languages four years ago.

While studying, Sutherland noticed the lack of television programming available in indigenous languages and, with no one else currently taking up the cause, decided to create the content he wanted himself. Sutherland gets additional assistance from native speakers and teachers to ensure the dubs have proper flow and context.
Someone needs to dub anime in Scots Gaelic. :P

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hataraku Saibou 7

A suitably tragic handling of this nightmare of an ailment. There are of course all sorts of things that are fucked-up about cancer, but it makes sense that this show would hone in on the fact that unlike most diseases, it's caused entirely by the body's own cells turning against it rather than by any invading outside entities. The fact that we know just how effective those cells can be at destroying the entire body simply serves to lend some necessary weight to the already horrible scenario.

This was also a somewhat poetic way of handling the scenario, because it invites a parallel between the cells corrupted by cancer and real-life terminal cancer patients - doomed to an inescapable death through no fault of their own, simply because of a freak corruption in their bodies. Let's just be thankful that the body these cells are living in didn't end up meeting the same fate (this time, at least…)

Oct 27, 2017
I am watching Samurai Champloo for the first time and this is how I feel:

I should have watched this years ago. Thankfully I am correcting this mistake.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 12-20

You know at a certain point, i think they should have figured out anything even slightly weird is a Stand. Weird car? Stand. Weird town? Stand. Weird dreams? Stand. Weird ______? Stand

I've warmed up to Jotaro at this point. He's not as fun as Joseph but he is pretty badass. I think Polnareff is my fav of the crew at the moment.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Voltron - Legendary Defender (Season 6 - The Black Paladins)

I know this isn't anime. But this episode really stuck out as a major highlight in the series. The reveal that
Shiro was cloned
was certainly speculated about by the fans but was presented well. Then, the major climactic battle sequence between
Keith and Shiro
was fantastically done - everything was on point. The action was fun to watch and they made excellent use of a really cool environment in a dynamic way. The camera angles, the scale of the environment and even the music all worked together. The way the flashbacks were included at the end, and the way
Keith's
eyes opened at the end really rounded out the sequence and added real emotional weight behind the battle.

It was well done.

Voltron as a series has been somewhat of a mixed bag for me. Especially later on, there are some really cool ideas and genuine surprises tossed around
white hole, that one planet being protected from regular solar flares by a shield, Zarkon's surprise death, et.
However a lot of episodes have been kind of forgettable, the series suffers from a significant cheesiness problem and the main cast don't really feel as well connected as say, Team Avatar did. In fact, for the most part, they're all lousier versions of characters we already saw in TLA and LoK. The series art style is often not nearly as good as it was in this episode, with the Galra's forces being extremely repetitive and generic throughout the course of the series, and cities and environments not feeling lived in. Scale is an issue as well; another poster in a different thread correctly mentioned that Voltron saving one city often means the entire planet gets saved, but I guess that just comes down to budget.

The music is also, across the board, absolute shit.

Still, its episodes like this that make me keep watching. There are some cool ideas here, and at its worst the show is mindlessly entertaining. I wish the entire series was as good as this episode was, but at least there are moments like this that keep it, as a whole, worthwhile.

Last edited:

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Daily Lives of High School Boys ~6-12 END

Greatest love story ever told ... was a lie ...

Honestly that fake graduation thing got me. Though they were for real. Good show overall that I should have given a real chance much earlier, with what I think is fairly unique brand of comedy, effectively executed and succeeding at making me laugh or smile most of the time. Some skits are a miss but are usually bearable. But one thing somewhat weirded me out. It was the depiction of female characters, who, or at least most of them, are violent, often plain bullies and even faceless a lot of the time. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be some conscious depiction of how HS men think of women or just there but it sometimes got discomforting. The 4th wall breaking also got tired very quickly, yes I get it, you're self aware, move on. Beyond that, I've no more complaints, a very strong comedy that just earned itself a spot on my comedy rec list. And on a list of Takumatsu's shows I actually managed to enjoy as the one and only position now that I think of it. lul

I'm really yet to find a comedy that hits all the right notes as this one right from the beginning to the end. Asobi Asobase is quite reminiscent of The Daily Lives of Highschool Girls spin off at the end of each episode lol

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MHA 57
Oh look, the shonen approach to romance rears its ugly head.

Cells at Work 7
Whereas CaW knows how to build a relationship. Cell reproduction episode when? Also, I did not know that laughter was literally good medicine. Amazing! Don't let the door hit you on the way out, cancer!

Oct 28, 2017
Anime has been officially dubbed in Catalan and broadcast in the Catalan TV since the 80s. This stuff is important in getting people to both learn their language and consider it as valid as others.
Yep.

Though I find it bemusing that several companies have been officially dubbing British/American/Canadian cartoons for the UKs minority languages since around the '80s (and making their own documentaries, sports commentaries and what not), but not anime (which is mostly absent from TV here anyway, apart for Pokemon, the odd Ghibli marathon and whatever Viceland occasionally have in their lineup).

Found that Digimon and Beyblade may have gotten Welsh dubs but that's it AFAIK.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
TG :re 12 END

Well this concludes my regularly scheduled session of joint comedy and self-flagellation. I honestly don't think there's an aspect of this thing that deserves the 'mediocre' moniker, all of it, the whole of it, is just beyond belief dire, even the next season tease is comical in how badly it's done. Will be sure to watch it !

Status
Not open for further replies.