• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Lord waver velvet - 2

GRAY
CRAVE
DEPRAVE
GRAVE
GRAVE ME
GRAVE FOR YOU

10/10 scythe

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The Demon Girl Next Door 01

The Great Statue of the Demon Baal makes a great doorstop.

Oct 25, 2017
the meme legend is back for new Symphogear XV. 😂
3IJTimX.jpg

Via r/anime

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 23

Time for Yuni to fully integrate I guess. Nice of her to take responsibility for the Fuwa outbreak. No one cared about Fuwa genocide though. Yuni's got a standard arc about learning to work with others. Nothing special, but decent enough. Elena is an okay support character, but even though this was a shared episode starring her she's still not standing on her own. At least the others got a few moments here and there. Kappard was great right up until he forgot to retreat the moment he nabbed Fuwa. Can't let the starter villain be that competent I guess.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
PSO2 anime (about the actual game's story, not the high school stuff from the previous anime) is gonna start airing in October, it's going to be 2 cours (25 episodes), directed by Masaki Tachibana (seems like the latest anime he's directed was Princess Principal?), studio Gonzo.

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 23

Mao was here, Yuni is a loser! Bring back Mao!

Elena's role here was basically a mirror of Lala's role in episode 14, so... Congratulations, Elena, you've graduated from "background character in her own episode" to "support character in her own episode". Progress!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Zeta Gundam 5
And like that, Camille is an orphan. Char's mullet and shades combo is too powerful.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Ace of the Diamond Season 2 Episode 15

Holy shit dude. I've been waiting for this moment for so long. So goddamn long.

My boy Sawamura is finally here. I'm crying.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files 2
This is more in line with the kind of material I wanted to see from Case Files after the pilot back in January. While perhaps a bit esoteric to work out as an actual mystery, watching Waver navigate the thorny society of Mages while trying to solve a magical mystery is every bit as fun as I was hoping it would be.

There's this undercurrent of brutality that exists under the polite society of mages that feels in line with the works of Agatha Christie or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. While the cast all engages in the pleasantries associated with high society, the truth of who everyone is under that mask is more brutal than you might expect. A mage is only as good as his research and his crest, and anyone who didn't strike when either presented enough value was a fool without the means to survive in this cutthroat world. Waver has always struggled with making the hard choices of his peers, and while that has won him the adoration of powerful allies both here and in Fate/Zero, it does mean he's often left with only his wits to help him survive.

One thing I did appreciate is that in Fate, some of the franchise's authors tend to like to over-explain the circumstances of the situations their protagonists end up in. However, Case Files often feels more classically written. While fleshed out with magical gobbledygook, the core mystery gives you just enough to be able to figure out the basics of what's happening, or the "howdunit." You see the body parts aren't in the right places and that they don't follow the traditional geocentric model due to their placement throughout the mansion. It's left to the viewer to realize they are instead arranged using the heliocentric model, meaning there should be one more celestial body to represent that wasn't accounted for in the previous model. It's decently clever and not explicitly spelled out, which makes it more satisfying when I had an inkling before Waver did his best Sherlock impression.

Seeing Gray in action was quite nice. It does raise more questions than it answers about what exactly she is, what her relationship to Add is, and if that affects her somewhat drastic change in personality. But I'm sure that will be drip fed throughout the season, with Gray playing into the finale significantly. For now, I like where this is going and hope this episode becomes a good barometer for the rest of the season.

GeGeGe no Kitaro 64 - CONTENT WARNING: EPISODE FOCUSES ON SUICIDE AND FANTASIES OF MASS VIOLENCE
I should not have watched this episode in the early hours of the morning. After last week's somewhat incoherent mess, GeGeGe no Kitaro is back with an episode so brutal in its depiction of suicidal tendencies and the depraved pleasure of acting out on psychopathic tendencies that it's genuinely shocking and rather upsetting to watch.

For anyone who's ever been at rock bottom and seriously contemplated suicide to escape from whatever is causing their overwhelmingly suffocating levels of depression (myself included), the first half of this episode is one of the hardest things I've had to watch on Kitaro specifically because I can relate to the mindset that both drives this episode's protagonist to the brink and later to her making a literal "deal with the devil" to eradicate those who drove her to despair. The important thing, though, is the delay of time from when she meets the Suiko and when she begins her vicious rampage. There's a long stretch of suffering that puts the opening of the episode with her at a cliff's edge into a harsh context that its genuinely hard to watch, even if the way her family has been singled out for their treatment is somewhat unrealistic.

The change that comes over her once she embraces the Suiko's power to drag everyone down with her is truly horrifying. It's that mantra of someone who thinks they have nothing to lose casting aside who they once were to tear down the world that pushed them so far. And the Suiko is a wonderful lens for that; instead of the usual conniving youkai villain, it's more emblematic of raw emotion than an individual with personality; it's justice on an absolute level given physical form, hence why it's capable of acts of such a callous nature without any signs of sympathy or remorse.

And while Kitaro and friends manage to fix things and help stop our protagonist before she loses what's left of her because this is a kids show, there's this overwhelming sense of the Suiko's power being something that feels a lot more real than most youkai because it's not based on folklore or superstition, but rather psychology. People pushed to the brink are going to act one of two ways: they'll erase themselves or those who brought them so low: sometimes they do both. The Suiko represents that desire to seek vengeance for the wrongdoings, perceived or otherwise, that exists within all who have been at that moment on the cliff's edge. It's so much more powerful of an episode because of that, and one that I think is worth watching for anyone, though not without sufficient preparation for what you'll find going in.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? Why do you want a character death just for the sake of having a character death?

How does none of the main girls dying make the show worse?
Why not.. its raise the stake, and they can always introduce new girl win-win. The show have no trouble showing gruesome death of civilian but have no balls to kill someone important is lame.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Why not.. its raise the stake, and they can always introduce new girl win-win. The show have no trouble showing gruesome death of civilian but have no balls to kill someone important is lame.

Excuse me?!? Like, are all these characters just disposable for you?

"Oh a main character needs to die to raise the stakes". How about no? This isn't Attack On Titan. The cast of Symphogear are about as defined into the show as the cast of Sailor Moon was to their show at this point. Killing off one of the main girls and replacing her with some other random new girl that happens to show up would be one of the worst things Symphogear could do.

Also "introduce a new girl win-win". That sentence honestly pisses me off. Like I'm actually infuriated by how wrong that sentence is.

Are we even watching the same show? Have none of the characters and the intricate relationships between them all not made their mark at this point? The fact that you think having one of them killed just to raise the stakes and have them thoughtlessly replaced just goes to show how much of Symphogear you don't understand.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Maidens of the Savage Season 02

Another great episode. Really liked the direction in the last scene.

Fire Force 02

I really can't enjoy it, feels incredibly generic even though I haven't watched many shounen shows.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 15

I really want Zenitsu and Inosuke to die.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

"Oh a main character needs to die to raise the stakes". How about no? This isn't Attack On Titan. The cast of Symphogear are about as defined into the show as the cast of Sailor Moon was to their show at this point. Killing off one of the main girls and replacing her with some other random new girl that happens to show up would be one of the worst things Symphogear could do.

Also "introduce a new girl win-win". That sentence honestly pisses me off. Like I'm actually infuriated by how wrong that sentence is.

Are we even watching the same show? Have none of the characters and the intricate relationships between them all not made their mark at this point? The fact that you think having one of them killed just to raise the stakes and have them thoughtlessly replaced just goes to show how much of Symphogear you don't understand.
Game of Thrones has really fucked up people's priorities huh?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Okaasan Online
It was cute but I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't a video game they where in, I hate when the isekai is in a fake world, will probably give this 2 more episodes till the joke has run its course and drop it

Kimetsu no Yaiba 15

I really want Zenitsu and Inosuke to die.
How dare you, they must be protected at all cost

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Why though? Why do you want a character death just for the sake of having a character death?

How does none of the main girls dying make the show worse?

I hear this type of stuff a lot from people who think things like madoka and site are the entire genre. Symphogear already gets plenty fucked up, and anyone who misses that is desensitized as shit

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the iDOLM@STER anime and I just want to say episode 20 is still one of the best moments in all of idol anime.

Nay, in all of anime in general!

mpv-shot0242.png

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Given is one of the best-looking shows this season, did anybody see this one coming? the photography and linework elevating the entire production reminds me a bit of how YagaKimi was adapted. and no I'm not saying that because they're both gay

Rewatching the iDOLM@STER anime and I just want to say episode 20 is still one of the best moments in all of idol anime.

Nay, in all of anime in general!

mpv-shot0242.png

animas #20 and #24 are all-time greats. Noriko Takao a legend

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the Symphogear discussion, I agree it's a shitty idea, but for a second I thought that they were going to mirror what happened to Kanade in S1 with Tsubasa and the civilian that got impaled, because for some reason her design din't look generic enough for me (of course that was because of what happened next) . If that were the case I think it could lead to some interesting stuff.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Danmachi S2 1

Pretty happy this is back. So Mikoto is now part of the main cast, thats cool.
tumblr_puk2hffhnV1u86t2qo2_500.gif

tumblr_ohvjd6bI6d1qekr89o1_500.gif

Last edited:

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
El Melloi Case Files 02

Geocentric model is proven wrong scientifically but the model can still be used for the type of magic they do. That's interesting, raises more questions but I'll hold that thought for now. The short list of characters and the scale of the mystery fits in well for the episode, at least half of the suspects looked believably sinister but I did expect some left field surprises. What seemed to be unseeming information told through character dialogue plays into the mystery - this is okay but I sometimes wish this wasn't always the case, especially for a show like this, that's so much on the magecraft, their society and ethos of characters. To its credit, I like that it capped off the mystery with one last 'whydunit' question that's more subtle.

Gray had to be a sabreface. Of course she was, I learned the fact not long ago but I still flinched at the moment. She even has a 'bone of my sword' incantation, lovely.

The Rose of Versailles 31

The beginning of the end.

Unit24

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Force - 01 and 02

Eh, could be fun, but as many have said, it feels fairly generic. So far it feels like most of the characters just rely on one or two character quirks to make them stand out. The rival character introduced in episode 2 is already godawful, and I would have stopped watching if not for the more serious tone of the second half of the episode.

I like the art direction and animation though.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Fire Force 1 & 2

Absolutely loved it. Didn't realize how much I missed Ōkubo's artstyle till now. Only complaints I have so far is that we're really moving at a break neck speed. Like we're really getting that tournament arc already chill.

Arifuerta 1

This was like a car crash, so horrible but I couldn't look away.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 65

I get that dating again (and it's clearly dating with how the whole date was framed) after a long break can make things awkward, but not even bringing up the whole reason Alicia came back to Aikatsu is just sad. At least now their Friends can actually be Friends. Been a big lack of Friends concerts this season when the whole premise is about duos. Hibiki and Alicia are both highly passionate, but Hibiki is more about the relationships with everyone, including her Friend, staff, and fans. Meanwhile Alicia devotes her all the actual Aikatsu like when she was running her country. I remain unconvinced they're particularly effective as Friends, but they're finally starting to sell how they bring each other up at least.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I liked the first episode of El-Melloi way more than the second one. I guess the magical aspect makes this tired mystery less... uh tired, but, in the end, it's still tired. Don't do this to me, El-Melloi! I praised you last week. And I'll praise you again, honest! But this can't go on!
SO I guess we are stuck with this 3 stooges dynamic and oh go I am already loving it.
How dare you, they must be protected at all cost
I had to explain to an innocent, wide-eyed child what masochists are after she spotted these abominable posts. I hope you two are happy.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fire Force 1 & 2

Absolutely loved it. Didn't realize how much I missed Ōkubo's artstyle till now. Only complaints I have so far is that we're really moving at a break neck speed. Like we're really getting that tournament arc already chill.
At this point in the manga, Okubo was basically in "oh shit we could canceled any week, better rush through some stuff to try to get people hooked" mode.

Once the threat of getting axed came to pass, the pacing did indeed chill.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know. It can be done well and has been done well in the past but has to be handled with care rather the reductive angle you've posited above. I think that's why it's going to feel extra poignant when Miku inherits Gungnir from a dying Hibiki.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. It can be done well and has been done well in the past but has to be handled with care rather the reductive angle you've posited above. I think that's why it's going to feel extra poignant when Miku inherits Gungnir from a dying Hibiki.

And if that doesn't happen, is that going to make Symphogear XV a worse show?

I can't stand how the prevalent discourse about XV always just seems to be about "HIBIKI GONNA DIE HIBIKI GONNA DIE" as if people are rooting for it and if it doesn't happen then it somehow makes the show worse. People should be afraid of the possibility of Hibiki dying, not wanting it to happen!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.