• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I can add it to my watchlist. After SNAFU I'm watching this in no particular order:
Sangatsu
Relife
Fruits Basket
Shirobako
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Apparently some of these are really depressing. 😅
Yeaaaaah. Sangatsu and Fruits Basket are great but just be prepared to have your heart ripped out and stomped on.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I don't really get why people compare Bunny Girl to SNAFU. If anything it's much more similar in its structure to the Monogatari series and there's a huge difference in quality in favor of Monogatari.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why people compare Bunny Girl to SNAFU. If anything it's much more similar in its structure to the Monogatari series and there's a huge difference in quality in favor of Monogatari.
It definitely feels like the series was heavily inspired by Monogatari series with leads being diet versions of the Monogatari leads.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Princess Tutu [END]

I started watching this on a whim, after reading the premise, which I found very amusing. Princess Tutu is basically a fairy tale about fairy tales, and pretty much all the aspects of them but, for the most part, I'd argue it's about their tragic parts. Most of the episodes are about characters that have lost their purpose and stick to a certain emotion blindly, and following these stories, the plot advances. The plot itself is very straightforward, but the presentation relies heavily on symbolism, and not just through the visuals, but through the music and the dances the character perform, making the narrative a lot more interesting. Watching an anime that heavily inspired by ballet felt refreshing and this inspiration certainly sets a very unique tone to it. I'm actually amazed with how much I enjoyed it even with probably less than the basic knowledge of stuff like the Swan Lake, which is probably the main inspiration along with the story of the Ugly Duckling. The attention to the music and the choreography is simply impressive, with a great amount of different dance routines, each one with their own meaning.

So, the main cast is a very fascinating part of Princess Tutu, as every character seems to constantly evolve while they're to find their place in the story. The most obvious change is Fakir, which turns from one of the most detestable characters to, perhaps, the hero of the story. Rue, my favorite character in this, voiced by none other than Nana Mizuki, also goes through various phases, though her conclusion is certainly what fitted her the most. Mytho and Tutu go through their own struggles too, trying to love each other, even if the events demand them to be apart. In general, the ending of the story couldn't be done any better though, I really loved it and I thought it was the ideal resolution. Last but not least, I think the storytelling wouldn't be the same without Dosselmeyer, who is kind of a meta character, but on the same time he isn't. It felt like he is a stand in for the viewer who constantly expects a tragic event, like a character death, to move the story forward to an interesting path, anything else dissatisfying them. And, ooh, I love how the show proves him wrong. Kinda funny, considering the conversation some people had here a couple of days ago, heh.

Princess Tutu is certainly a very charming story, that actually subverts the viewer's expectations, more than than a few times, in meaningful ways and that's probably the show's strength after all. It feels similar to something like Utena or Evangelion in that. While it certainly is cheerful, with some absolutely brilliant smear animation to portray Ahiru's clumsiness, it can get dark and sorrowful as much. To conclude, its unique style, its inspirations and its themes make it something I'd wholeheartedly recommend to anyone... and Lilie's lines probably double its worth.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Detective Velvet 1+2

Nice to get some backstory of what happened to Waver that lead to his current position.

Really like the overall atmosphere of the show. Curious to find out why Gray is a Saberface.

Ed song is beautiful

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped Sangatsu around eps 10 but I liked what I watched, shit just happens around that time and I got sidetracked.. reading sakugabooru staff hyping it made me always regret not following it, someday I'd marathon it.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
SNAFU tries to appear intelligent by using big words in dialogue that is really just circle talk gibberish. The mc also happens to be a trope I dislike, the faux intellectual teenage boy that's so anti-establishment and so misunderstood by the mainstream society at large. Barf.
spoken like someone who has not watched season 2 yet.... it addresses all of that

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dr. Stone - Episode 1

So none of them are worried about their relatives or other friends at all eh? Pretty poor writing so far.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone - Episode 1

So none of them are worried about their relatives or other friends at all eh? Pretty poor writing so far.
I mean there are a lot more pressing concerns for them at the moment to be fair. Senku also has a reason to be less concerned about relatives, but that gets deep into spoiler territory

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Dr. Stone - Episode 1

They spend 3700 years aware and stuck in a stone tomb. The fact they're not batshit insane is surprising enough.

It's shounen anime, it's not meant to be this realistic drama to begin with.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I bought SNAFU season 1 and 2 because it was on sale and people recommended it to me ages ago. Still haven't watched it, and still have no idea if I will like it or not.

I really need to watch some of these shows before I buy them.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sangatsu can be sad sometimes but I wouldn't call it depressing, it is very heartwarming, big reason why I prefer it over other drama shows.

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so that wasn't Saber, she just happened to look like her?
Yes. Saberfaces usually come in two flavors: the ones that have an in-story reason for looking like her (relatives, clones, alternate forms/outfits, etc.), and the ones that look like her just because the artist likes recycling her design for unrelated characters. Gray is supposedly the former, but will need to see how that gets explained.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They spend 3700 years aware and stuck in a stone tomb. The fact they're not batshit insane is surprising enough.
Wanted to say this. Onion-kun actually counted the 3700 years by the second. I'm shocked he's still a functioning human. On the other hand, Minion-kun only thought about his love interest for 3700 years. I think he was mentally unwell from the onset. We can also see that a few people have already died. I imagine 3700 years should grant you a sufficient amount of time to contemplate life and the ceasing of life, even if they happen to be your friends and family. Not saying that was necessarily the author's intent. Either way, I'm not expecting fantastic writing.
Yes. Saberfaces usually come in two flavors: the ones that have an in-story reason for looking like her (relatives, clones, alternate forms/outfits, etc.), and the ones that look like her just because the artist likes recycling her design for unrelated characters. Gray is supposedly the former, but will need to see how that gets explained.
Ah, I assumed there were multiple authors and artists involved in the Fate franchise. I noticed the original was an adult VN, but there's also a re-release (if I'm not mistaken), manga, novels(?), games, etc. So I assume El-Melloi is the original creator's work? I happened to see there are multiple versions of EMIYA, too, and that surprised me as well. I tried to understand how everything fits together, but I realised I cared far too little about Fate to bother.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably touched on already, but is this entire new season of Danmachi a spin-off then? Is that why the Familia Myth subtitle? I think I recall they were in the middle of a giant battle at last check during the previous season.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also I went against better judgement and watched Fate/Extra Last Encore.

Boy, what an absolute clusterfuck of a show! 3/10

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Sacred Beasts 3

welp so much for the production sorting things out. first couple eps were portents i denied and now here i am committed to a bad show

Cop Craft 2

fire emblem fans be like

15PObF2l.png

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Mom Isekai 01
Very un-realistic (my mom would just constantly be talking to NPCs and asking all harem members if they were Jewish), but I don't think that the idea is enough to make a good show. I will probably watch the next episode and then drop

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Probably touched on already, but is this entire new season of Danmachi a spin-off then? Is that why the Familia Myth subtitle? I think I recall they were in the middle of a giant battle at last check during the previous season.

They beat the big ogre thing in the last episode of season 1 and this season takes place after that. Normal sequel

Familia Myth has always been in the logo

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? 01

Not silly enough. The premise is fun, but there needs to be a lot more parts like the one where she just blasts the guild for no reason. Maybe it gets more silly (in a wild way, and not typical anime romcom way) as the "harem" begins and we have the mother interacting with the rest of the crew, but I somehow doubt it. Probably gonna drop it after the next episode.

Also, no one asked what happens if you die in the game, and that bothered me.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They beat the big ogre thing in the last episode of season 1 and this season takes place after that. Normal sequel

Familia Myth has always been in the logo
Interesting, I swear there was some massive battle with a huge regenerating enemy at a lower level with lots of individuals involved but perhaps I am getting the show and the manga mixed up. I did not remember this Apollo story line but I guess it's been awhile so perhaps I've just forgotten about it.

Or maybe I'm thinking of another one of these shows, haha.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Sangatsu can be sad sometimes but I wouldn't call it depressing, it is very heartwarming, big reason why I prefer it over other drama shows.

That aspect whith art that outlines Rei's changing moods and the two emotional sides of his character are why the show is so special:

gif4.gif

tumblr_omokrbEBih1qc650mo4_500.gif

The artwork and visual effects with color and lighting to highlight the mood and emotional status of characters and locations is unbelievable and I rarely notice that stuff.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I assumed there were multiple authors and artists involved in the Fate franchise. I noticed the original was an adult VN, but there's also a re-release (if I'm not mistaken), manga, novels(?), games, etc. So I assume El-Melloi is the original creator's work? I happened to see there are multiple versions of EMIYA, too, and that surprised me as well. I tried to understand how everything fits together, but I realised I cared far too little about Fate to bother.
No, El-Melloi is done by someone else.
Not an expert on Fate, but as far as I know, there's both a main writer and a main artist of the series that have a say in things, but the spin-offs are, indeed, done by other writers and artists.
As for Emiya...I'm pretty sure I've heard the author has declared the different routes and spin-offs alternate realities in a multiverse(like superhero comics work) so, things somehow cross over at times(also, like superhero comics).

Status
Not open for further replies.