• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Given 2

poDEm7Z.jpg

A bit better. It still is a by-the-book BL, but I guess compared to what people are used in anime form it's a step up.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear XV 3

I couldn't puzzle out the co-conspirator until a second before they appeared and now I'm mad!!!

El-Melloi Case Files 3

Love this show so much and am so glad it's ended up as good as it has.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear XV - 2

Tsubasa should stick to having her concerts in London. At least over there it went wrong backstage!

Symphogear XV - 3

Seems a little odd to go with the "fighting for her family" theme with Millarc when the previous episode established her to be a cold-blooded monstrosity that killed 70,000 people.

But then again Fudou is the big bad here who was most likely behind the whole thing and he's probably going to have her killed at some point.

PLEASE let this season have Hibiki punch him in the face at least once.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 24

W7zizuGl.jpg

I wish we got more of Madoka's piano pressure plot and less ikemen snowman nonsense, but eh. It was okay.

Precure Miracle Universe

oJdo7pml.jpg

Don't watch this movie. It's a bad movie. It boggles my mind that they managed to make a "wave your miracle lights, kids!" segment literally the most boring, low-tension part of the entire movie. And that's seriously saying something when the rest of the movie has about one episode's worth of plot stretched over its entire runtime.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 24

I don't mind Madoka also being a piano prodigy among other things, since that's a standard ojou thing. But it still came out of nowhere. You'd think she'd have lost the flashback competition since this is about her understanding that she needs to enjoy it more. Planet Icesnow? Really? I don't mind magic protecting them from the cold, but they should've mentioned that or have them act chilled. Hikaru really doesn't get that visiting a snow planet and living on it every day are very different. Madoka and Yuni had a nice rivalry while it lasted, and now they work well together even without having to pour their hearts out to one another. Good for both to get some quick flashbacks to flesh them out. Not an amazing episode, but a nice return to space adventures. Only two more pens till Hikaru can snap her fingers and remake reality however she wants.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with case files for me is that a procedural show with short anime episodes doesn't work all that well. Just as we are about to find out what is happening it quickly ends. There is no time for drama or tension. Maybe they got multi episode cases later. So far as it is about to get interesting it ends. Maybe these cases end up being related to each other later, that would be cool.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 24

I don't mind Madoka also being a piano prodigy among other things, since that's a standard ojou thing. But it still came out of nowhere.
I didn't come out of nowhere. Madoka's piano skill has already been mentioned a few times -- it's part of her "I must train extremely diligently to meet my father's absurd expectations" routine, like we saw in episodes 5 and 9. She studies a ton of things and does each one precisely by the book. We even saw her tutor!

BSK8t1Em.jpg
Mbd9xGhm.jpg

nhgXOGxm.jpg
w5NLm5Zm.jpg

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lord El-Melloi was good again this week. I'm so happy. I feel compelled to give Apocrypha another shot, since I keep seeing familiar characters. Maidens of the Savage Season has been phenomenal so far. I expected it to be crass. But, truly, what a humorous and refined handling of es ee ecks and its related topics!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Zeta Gundam 6
Tense episode. Not sure why Camille has an huge crush on Ensign Roccoa all of a sudden. I thought he liked Lt Emma. Amuro showed up too! Yay! Lol at that preview just straight up spoiling that Fem!Char is gonna due next episode. They used to do a similar thing last series too and I ended up skipping the previews. Guess I'll need to do that here too.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Saint Seiya: Knights of Zodiac 01-06

Saint Seiya, Cross Ange director and Toei saving anime CG. Who knew.

This is sort of awful as expected. Even discounting the writing which is typical SS stuff, though they probably made it worse with some corny dialogue and humour. The choice of putting out just 6 eps is baffling as not much is achieved even with the horrendously rushed pacing which is one of the the primary problems of the series. It's nothing short of disastrous in first two eps, the jarring scene transitions, timeskips, forced exposition from those beginnings, leave a really bad taste that stays with you till the end and the remaining eps aren't all that good in that respect anyhow. The direction is bad too, some of it is the result of the pace but even later on it's unable to really impart the scenes with any kind of impact or weight. There's no effort made to even end the eps with any kind of "oomp", even the bloody season ending is a jarring, sudden scene made in a most unticlimactic vein.. But as I said, the CG is good. For anime. I think so at least. I'm not really fond of the clay doll like models but they move, emote naturally, much better than the Polygon stuff that I've seen. There is still reliance on stock footage for the attacks but they cooexist with some decent amount of actual close combat choreography and well, it wouldn't be really Saint Seiya without it so I don't mind. But overall the series is just bad. I don't really want to put the og series on pedestal, it's only any good if you stab your forehead with a handful of nostalgia filled syringes and keep in mind it's age, + the probably restraints on tv productions. That said I think this remake series fails both at pleasing the old fanboys as well as at making something fit for the new age.

The differences between english & japanese script, at least the ones even I was able to pick up are sort of hilarious.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Saint Seiya: Knights of Zodiac 01-06

Saint Seiya, Cross Ange director and Toei saving anime CG. Who knew.

This is sort of awful as expected. Even discounting the writing which is typical SS stuff, though they probably made it worse with some corny dialogue and humour. The choice of putting out just 6 eps is baffling as not much is achieved even with the horrendously rushed pacing which is one of the the primary problems of the series. It's nothing short of disastrous in first two eps, the jarring scene transitions, timeskips, forced exposition from those beginnings, leave a really bad taste that stays with you till the end and the remaining eps aren't all that good in that respect anyhow. The direction is bad too, some of it is the result of the pace but even later on it's unable to really impart the scenes with any kind of impact or weight. There's no effort made to even end the eps with any kind of "oomp", even the bloody season ending is a jarring, sudden scene made in that vein. But as I said, the CG is good. For anime. I think so at least. I'm not really fond of the clay doll like models but they move, emote naturally, much better than the Polygon stuff that I've seen. There is still reliance on stock footage for the attacks but they cooexist with some decent amount of actual close combat choreography and well, it wouldn't be really Saint Seiya without it so I don't mind. But overall the series is just bad. I don't really want to put the og series on pedestal, it's only any good if you stab your forehead with a handful of nostalgia filled syringes and keep in mind it's age, + the probably restraints on tv productions. That said I think this remake series fails both at pleasing the old fanboys as well as at making something fit for the new age.

The differences between english & japanese script, at least the ones even I was able to pick up are sort of hilarious.

In this case the English script is probably the original, considering an American cartoon writer, Eugene Son, was the head scriptwriter. That is probably also the reason for the "corny dialogue and humor" you identify - bringing in writing techniques that are standard in the American cartoon scene.

As for the CG, assuming this was made in-house at Toei, which appears to be the case, the quality is not that surprising. Toei's CG team has become among the best in the industry, as anyone who has looked at Precure CG during the past decade or so can attest. It is not only technically sound but also doesn't struggle with dodgy aesthetic priorities, such as clumsy attempts to imitiate the limited framerate of 2D anime or bland Hollywood-aping motion capture, as studios such as Polygon Pictures or Digital Frontier do. Actually, as far as doing full CG works instead of still relying on 2D backgrounds and touchups as in Orange's Land of the Lustrous, it's hard for me to think of other Japanese studios that produce works as successful.

A shame that all that skill is put to the service of a rushed, unsatisfying adaptation here, of course.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
3D works best as a compliment to 2D, for example Kimetsu no Yaiba.
When the two work in concert they are greater than the sum of their parts.

If its a choice of 2D vs 3D on their own, I always prefer 2D.
Never been a huge fan of straight 3D animation.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
People seemed to like the look of that new Lupin 3D movie though (although that's a movie and not a TV series).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It just worrys me somewhat that Japan will eventually go full 3D for everything like America has.
I don't want 2D animation to die out. :(

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Attack on Titan S3 Part 1 08-12 END

Once the initial Royal family arc had ended, it turned out to be less important than it seemed but on further thought, it's a nice detail to have about the world. It's not as though it doesn't tie in to the main arc at all but what I'm saying is that, it's interesting that the swathes of civilians, the ministers and the King themselves aren't isolated in this world. They all hold their vices and secrets. After the coup happens, the civilians have their own opinions on what the military is doing based on what they see and hear. There really is a living breathing world for a show that doesn't shy away from killing its characters should the time come, it's a nice contrast. Yes, it's a brutal world but it doesn't mean that people are just throwaway or that they don't have their own will.

The existentialist themes of the later half of this arc are curious, Eren's development had a pretty great direction, took me in by surprise to the point I had second thoughts about my initial impression. It's been a while since I saw season 1 but the scene where the training commander messes with Eren's equipment imply that he is indeed someone special? did he manage to get through training despite it or was he bad at it during that scene? I can't seem to recall. Regardless, the idea that it's fine to not be special or be normal is a welcome and reassuring moment.

There's a certain tinge of silliness in the banter between the lead characters amidst adverse and serious conditions that would easily be awkward or strange anywhere else but I honestly came to like it. It's hard to say why but the comaraderie on display is heartening in a way I don't see often.

On the events of this later arc, Eren conveniently getting his hands on an Armour concoction is a bit of nitpick but I am curious about its presence. The idea that descendants who received the memories of the first King continue to further his goal brings insane weight to the reasons behind it but I think I'll temper my expectations for now. There's quite a bit I'm getting out of the show thankfully.

The show switches between 3DCG and 2D when portraying wide shots of a large group or something straight up enormous vs something close up or focused but it never felt egregious. There are 2D sequences of the gigantic titan that are incredible. There are moments I wish we got a better sense of the setpieces but they're reasonably well articulated as they were. The OP is much more calming and contemplative from the past, reflective of the developments. The ED brings back the awesome Sasageyo song from season 2 in a new blend, that last episode was a smart tease.

El Melloi Case Files 03

Luvia-san graces us and here I thought I'd never get to see her again. Too bad she only shows up at the end again.

While Waver has a load of problems thrown at him via Reines for the price of stealing from Kaynes, he's in the best possible position he could be. I like that what he lacks is made up with two insolent kids and an 'Astral'/nonhuman. What he brings is why this show exists.

Zoology, followed by Astronomy is this episode's branch of Magecraft so I wonder what branch it will be next. The character eccentricities and Waver's modern lens to their world are fine but they could show off a little more on the magic.

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Precure Miracle Universe

More crossovers. Whee. As if Hugtto didn't burn me out on them. Did anyone want a movie focused on the Miracle Lights? I was rooting for the villain the entire time to win so that they can be excised from this franchise. Start off with a negligent worker basically burning down his workplace. I'm sure this is commentary on something, but all I can think is that this feels like it fits in more with Hugtto despite the space theme. The three teams being summoned just like that feels rushed. Cute how Hana remembers meeting Hikaru at least. Transformations and opening fight went on way too long. At least the old teams didn't arbitrarily job this time, so progress. Plus they acknowledged the existence of the other teams.

I do like how the groups got randomized instead of sticking all the pinks together. Lala looks better in the patisserie outfit than all the Kira girls. Cute alien remains cute. Her group did absolutely nothing though. Another point for the Kira team sucking. The team on the hot planet got all the good interactions, so they win. Yukari and Akira just could not stop flirting in general the entire movie. Hilarious and appropriate. Ruru got to take advantage of her being an android, got all the ladies to hug her, and got to abuse Harry. That's our robot. Elena and Madoka got outshined, but at least they got their moments. Hana carries her group single-handedly. I was worried she wouldn't function when she's not the center, but Hana remains one of the best pinks. Hikaru just can't compare. Piton was annoying the entire movie, so don't care about him. Stop making new fairies the focal point of the movies Toei.

I get why they want to arrest Piton, but the Precure? Just arbitrarily padding out the movie because there's not much to it. The Miracle Lights sections are getting worse and worse. Twist villain completely out of nowhere. Harry reaffirms his status as top mascot by saving the day and getting a bunch of the best lines. Too bad Hugtan did nothing despite being a god-fairy. Big final fight dragged on way too long, and the fight itself wasn't anything special. How did the people on Earth know who to cheer for? Most didn't speak, but in just appearances this technically beats out All Stars Memories in number of Precure. More importantly, Maho keeps up their streak. 7 movies in a row. I believe in the wizards. Make it 8.

This basically went as expected. KiraKira team was worthless, original characters sucked, and StarTwi hadn't come into their own yet. Hugtto carried the movie hard. Some decent moments scattered here and there, but overall still mediocre like the last two early-season crossovers. If they can't keep up the quality, they need to stop making these movies unless it's a big event and put more resources into the solo movies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titan S3 Part 1 08-12 END

[...]

It's been a while since I saw season 1 but the scene where the training commander messes with Eren's equipment imply that he is indeed someone special? did he manage to get through training despite it or was he bad at it during that scene? I can't seem to recall. Regardless, the idea that it's fine to not be special or be normal is a welcome and reassuring moment.

It's not so much that Eren was necessarily special. But Keith Shadis was intending to let Eren fail for the sake of Carla and Eren himself, given how dangerous being a soldier is and how Carla viewed all that. He did love her, after all. And... yet, when he saw that burning determination that Eren radiated even with his manipulated gear, he just felt that it wasn't his right to prevent Eren from following his desired path. He was so compelled to let him proceed after all, that he wondered if he even really had a choice or if he was merely a "bystander" in the lives of himself and others.

On another note, did you watch the ED of episode 12 in its entirety? Since you didn't mention it I'm kinda thinking you didn't. And while you might want to avoid it if you're extremely spoiler-averse of what's to come, then maybe it's for the better. Otherwise, it was one of the greatest teases I've ever seen in anime.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
😔 That's sad. I know when I was young I always wanted to play trumpet. But in year 8 and 9 when music was compulsory we always had to play keyboard.

Oh, and I found Thoraxes write ups! I remember when I used to lurk at the old place and saw his write ups there and being impressed.

It's more like you pick an instrument, invest some time and effort and practice into it, and by the time you realize you don't actually like that instrument it's far too late to switch. Unless you're one of those savants that can pick up any instrument and adjust with relative ease. So the cruel irony ends up being that the only people granted the luxury of picking and choosing their instruments are those that are already musically talented to begin with!

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu Friends 66

Wakaba time. She's okay and all, but I'm having a hard time getting behind someone that's being pushed so hard by all the top idols. She's guaranteed success, unlike idols who had to build a base of support from the ground up. Telling kids that starting by imitating is a perfectly fine message, but she did get rewarded for impersonating her friend, and that raises an eyebrow. Mio + Wakaba performance looks weird. Must be payback for that Aine/Mirai duet. Mirai is the true keikaku master, planning this all out.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Savage Maidens 03

lol Izumi is so dense but I don't know if my mind would be clear if I were to be in this situation. His reactions are honestly understandable. I'm not sure if he said it to her because he thinks she won't like it or if he actually means it.

Oct 27, 2017
Full Metal Panic ? Fumoffu ! 1

I've dug my old anime DVDs and man even 16 years later it's a treat.
Bonus points to being able to watch it on a CRT, it would be horrible on a modern display ha ha.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Full Metal Panic ? Fumoffu ! 1

I've dug my old anime DVDs and man even 16 years later it's a treat.
Bonus points to being able to watch it on a CRT, it would be horrible on a modern display ha ha.
show didn't look bad on the upscaled blu-rays, only parts that looked pretty bad were the early 00's CG shots

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Are there really people being trained in 2d animation anymore? Changing tastes, a lack of a young workforce, and just more capabilities unlocked in 3d will make 2d just a thing left to commercials in the future.
I imagine there are but not enough to support the current (and future) level of anime production where there are not enough animators to go around.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Yamishibai S7 2

haha this one was decent with some good setup for the last shot

Yamishibai S7 3

Pinocchio if Pinocchio stole the very life force from Gepetto

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
There comes a time in every man's life when he must watch End of Evangelion.

Now is that time.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine there are but not enough to support the current (and future) level of anime production where there are not enough animators to go around.

There's definitely a shortage of 2D animators for what the current output is, and there's going to need to be a reduction in the number of anime being made, but there are younger 2D animators being trained at places such as Toei, P.A. Works, and above all KyoAni (which is why the arson was a particularly sharp blow - the comparative youth of KyoAni employees). One upside to the lack of Japanese animators and rushed production schedules is that it's causing some productions to recruit young, aspiring animators internationally to help out. See standout episodes of Black Clover and the subcontracting work of Studio LAN on shows such as One-Punch Man S2 for examples. I think relying on international 2D animation talent - who, after all, have limited avenues globally to put their craft to commercial use - will be an increasingly important part of the Japanese 2D animation industry going forward.

All of which is to say that, while CG is taking up a more significant portion of Japan's animation output, and will continue to do so, I think there's still sufficiently strong interest in 2D animation even in younger generations to ensure that 2D anime will be made for the foreseeable future.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Damn man you've made me sad. :(
2D animation ain't going away any time soon. It is still too expensive to support one's lineup on only CG, as the average cg animator salary is almost twice that of 2D, and most studios would go bankrupt if they try to do it. They barely make any money on most anime they make, surviving on the few hits that manage to spark a reaction to more than just a niche audience.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wasteful Days of the High School Girls episodes 2-3

This show has grown on me. The OP is fantastic. Also, BL eyes!

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with case files for me is that a procedural show with short anime episodes doesn't work all that well. Just as we are about to find out what is happening it quickly ends. There is no time for drama or tension. Maybe they got multi episode cases later. So far as it is about to get interesting it ends. Maybe these cases end up being related to each other later, that would be cool.
Apparently, so far, all of the Case Files episodes are anime-original.
From what I've heard Rail Zeppelin is the third arc, so they're skipping the first two arcs(which are less connected to later ones?), but still had to introduce characters that were in them, so we've gotten a couple anime-original, one-episode mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.