• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Yamishibai S7 8-10

8 & 10 were pretty bad but 9 was excellent and featured some great art that helped sell emotion.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogeah XV - 11

No fucking way they end this in two episodes.... in any case the next two eps of shemha's wild ride should be good times.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 32

gggo9Uel.png

In today's episode of Star Twinkle Precure, titled "A New Power of Imagination", our heroes -- the Star Twinkle Precure -- use the Shiny Twinkle Pen to fire off a new attack, Star Twinkle Imagination. They then find out that they need to collect a new MacGuffin called Twinkle Imagination. I presume the quest for the Star Twinkle Precure to collect Twinkle Imagination is going to involve spamming Star Twinkle Imagination with the Shiny Twinkle Pen for the next month.

Take a drink (of orange juice, this is a children's show) every time someone in this show says "twinkle", "imagination", "power", "protect", or "Puff".
Don't actually do that, it's probably bad for your health.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 32

With all 12 pens, it is time for Hikaru to snap her fingers and turn half the universe's population into resources for the other half. Alas it is not enough, and Hikaru must search for greater power if she is to become the galactic overlord she is destined to be.

Getting kind of uncomfortable the way the princesses are treating Fuwa as a weapon. For better or worse at least the Cures treat her as a living creature. Poor Yuni keeps getting her hopes tanked out from underneath her. Nice to see a bit more of the Notraider HQ. Galogre is genuine in his loyalty. I'll give him that much. Too bad he literally threw away their potential victory. As far as top enemy generals go he's easily one of the worst. Though jeez that's a dark backstory. Looks like his planet just kind of split apart? Fuwa taking over the show and being everyone's main motivation feels really unearned. She has not gotten enough development for this importance. New attack is okay aside from too much Fuwa focus, but not great. Crowns are nice at least. And nothing of interest comes from Hikaru regarding her vision for the future. Yuni at least got to counter Galogre properly. Starscape Alliance is gone without doing anything. Who knows what Fuwa being a vessel means, but Kappard taking interest gives me some hope.

Aikatsu Friends 74

Pure Palette may have been the main characters this season technically, but everything was really building up to the reunion of Love Me Tear and I Believe. Those two Friends drove the season more than anything else. Nice to see one last difference between them on the eve before the showdown. Love Me Tear overcomes personal weaknesses (presumably because there isn't much left for them to conquer) while I Believe strives for greater heights. I Believe got the stronger scene for sure. As for the showdown itself... it's not a competition, so no one is losing. LMT lucked out, because they didn't bring anything new to counter I Believe's masterpiece. I still believe LMT are the stronger Friends, but I Believe actually had a journey and arc this season along with one of the best performances in the franchise. LMT should really take them seriously if they want to keep their second place spot.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Taichi is a possessive shithead that beat around the bush too long. Arata at least had his own problems to overcome for most of the series. Its a crapshoot who "wins" though. We're more than likely looking at a platonic ending but who knows with how shitty some Josei can be with romance. Taichi is the most popular with the fans cause he hits all the stupid tropes of being the rich pretty boy who is possessive and also a childhood friend.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Taichi is a possessive shithead that beat around the bush too long. Arata at least had his own problems to overcome for most of the series. Its a crapshoot who "wins" though. We're more than likely looking at a platonic ending but who knows with how shitty some Josei can be with romance. Taichi is the most popular with the fans cause he hits all the stupid tropes of being the rich pretty boy who is possessive and also a childhood friend.
What does it mean that he doesn't hit it with me but Arata does?

I'm 90% sure Arata will be endgame so fans pushing Taichi/Chihaya is kinda funny because there is going to be a lot of sore feelings in the end.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Savage Maidens 11

Wow, Sonezaki took the news better than I expected. Unfortunately for her, she's in a bigger mess. I wish I got to see more of how her mother would react, I'd dig a good family drama. Though the brief moment she appeared made clear that it was only going to get ugly. Sugawara's side of the story takes a more interesting turn, in the sense that the show gave us something to think about, not something that's spelled out. Sugawara's self-hatred did not blind her to an extent that she didn't understand what she was doing. Though, her situation is not so simple that she can simply just not do anything about it, the best course of action turns out to be to confront Kazusa about it. How she reached that? I think her level headedness seen through her pushing Kazusa to confess early on is somewhat playing into her decision. They're not explicit about it of course but she does say how what she wants is right in front of her, implying her grasp of the situation.

I like that the club has really dialed it to 11 for the sake of their president but I really wonder how things will go down.

The Rose of Versailles 36

I didn't think I'd be so compelled by Antoinette's change of colours but they've done a fine job. They've nailed it further with the fantastic moment at the end where Oscar in tears pleads her but Antoinette, also in tears, still refuses.

Saint Juste and Bernard's conversation is another highlight, followed by Bernard's response later on. Individuals cannot ever be trusted but it is not as important as bringing about a change and reminding people that they can and should stand up for themselves in the time of need.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Black Lagoon is a load of bollocks isn't it? I thought it was 'one of the classics' but that couldn't be further from the truth. Currently almost done with the second season and it's nothing but completele nonsensical schlock without any semblance of an interesting narrative or characters. The action is sub-par at best and the writing is edgelord level stuff. It's devoid of any sort of tension and the animation, while not bad, is nothing to write home about either.

If I didn't have all this free time at work I wouldn't have bothered with it. I'm already up to ep 19 so I might as well see it through to the end. At the very least it scratches some sort of A-Team itch but even so much as mentioning that show in the same breath as Black Lagoon feels like heresy.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Black Lagoon is a load of bollocks isn't it? I thought it was 'one of the classics' but that couldn't be further from the truth. Currently almost done with the second season and it's nothing but completele nonsensical schlock without any semblance of an interesting narrative or characters. The action is sub-par at best and the writing is edgelord level stuff. It's devoid of any sort of tension and the animation, while not bad, is nothing to write home about either.

If I didn't have all this free time at work I wouldn't have bothered with it. I'm already up to ep 19 so I might as well see it through to the end. At the very least it scratches some sort of A-Team itch but even so much as mentioning that show in the same breath as Black Lagoon feels like heresy.
This is in the 99% percentile of wrong.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Black Lagoon is exactly as advertised. Pulpy action tropes with a fun cast. The Japan arc is kinda weak though as it loses its great setting. We do get to see other sides to Rebecca though.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Well, I'll throw the overwhelming weight of my moral support behind you since I was similarly puzzled by the high regard it is apparently held in. I think the very last arc was somewhat better IIRC though.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 23
zzzzzzz The cliffhanger got resolved in the most boring way possible and nothing interesting was actually said at the Hashira meeting.

I think I saw some fairly spoilerific pic at some point so I'm going to tag this speculation but:

Master is such an obviously fishy guy just going by this episode that I will be surprised if he's not a demon himself with some voice magic thrown in.

Kimetsu no Yaiba 24
To think people can hate this veritably unending fountain of lusciously drawn reaction faces. smh

I'm digging Shinobu so far. Her whole demeanor is just very likeable and even the backstory goes a bit beyond sappy fulfilling the wishes of the dead.

Is it okay to consider prostitutes human beings 10

I might be wrong but weren't the gods supposed to be depowered in this world ? Meanwhile Freya and Ishtar are throwing Imperius x Oiroke no Jutsu all over the place.

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Did you lot all watch it when you were teens or something? :D It's really not that great.
I watched it as a teen but rewatched it recently and it is even better on a rewatch. The characters are so bad ass and the setting is really unique.

Dutch, Revy, Balalaika and Roberta are some of the coolest and most badass anime character I have ever seen.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeh, I only made it a few episodes in. While I was prepared for it not being my type of show, there wasn't even much good action to keep me entertained on a basic level. I vaguely recall one skirmish in and outside a bar or so where the protagonist crew was vastly outnumbered by dudes with firearms but... those somehow didn't care to really fire them and that's how the crew won/escaped... Lame. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Also throwing in my love of Black Lagoon. Pure action pulp with probably one of the most soul-crushing arcs in all of existence.

Vinland Saga 10
Looks like we'll get our Thorfinn vs Thorkill fight sooner rather than later after a more calm break.

Oct 27, 2017
Also throwing in my love of Black Lagoon. Pure action pulp with probably one of the most soul-crushing arcs in all of existence.
It is like if someone blended the crime based Tarantino movies with Yakuza flicks and lots of 80s action movie like Commando, Predator, Cobra etc in one manga/anime.

I feel the need to rewatch it now...

Will do so after I rewatch Blue Gender and Big O and clear some of my backlog.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Black Lagoon gave us Balalaika and I will forever be grateful for that, otherwise the rest of the show/series is fair game.

The GF and I started watching Samurai Flamenco and we're not even halfway done and I'm both confused and excited for where this is going. While I don't appreciate some unfortunate aspects/moments of the series, I do love the overt and subtextual queer themes that have been present since the first episode.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
What does it mean that he doesn't hit it with me but Arata does?

I'm 90% sure Arata will be endgame so fans pushing Taichi/Chihaya is kinda funny because there is going to be a lot of sore feelings in the end.

Yup, it's been obvious where the show was going since the beginning. Taichi is thr doomed "childhood friend" even though that coukd be said for both. Taichi has been cast the true childhood friend bound to het crushed since the beginning, lol.

Excuse me, you need to get more in touch with your inner edgelord. I mean, while they try to pit out some serious themes/scenes, the show remains edgy-go-lucky throughout.

It was just a stupidly fun show to watch, like most western action flicks, lol.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched it as a teen but rewatched it recently and it is even better on a rewatch. The characters are so bad ass and the setting is really unique.

Dutch, Revy, Balalaika and Roberta are some of the coolest and most badass anime character I have ever seen.
notsureifserious.gif

But whatever floats yer boat!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dead serious. Not sure why it is shocking.
Well ok I'll bite/elaborate: when characters need to verbalize every other scene how they are definitely badass then they're not actually badass.

To name some more recent examples: Mikasa from AoT doesn't need to actively convey any sense of badassery. She exudes it every step of the way simply by how her non-verbal communication is written and animated. Hell, even a weeb such as Midoriya from My Hero Academia is more badass than the entire cast of Black Lagoon combined!

They're honestly laughable at best, cringey at worst (and the non-stop English cursing is just adorable lol).

Last edited:

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
screening in the UK... sometime in 2020 :(

There's a screening in Glasgow next month, and two screenings in Edinburgh (Though one is sold out). Wouldn't necessarily rule out another festival screening before the year is out, though I was a little surprised to see it wasn't on this years London Film Festival line-up.

Oct 27, 2017
Well ok I'll bite/elaborate: when characters need to verbalize every other scene how they are definitely badass then they're not actually badass.

To name some more recent examples: Mikasa from AoT doesn't need to actively convey any sense of badassery. She exudes it every step of the way simply by how her non-verbal communication is written and animated. Hell, even a weeb such as Midoriya from My Hero Academia is more badass than the entire cast of Black Lagoon combined!

They're honestly laughable at best, cringey at worst (and the non-stop English cursing is just adorable lol).
Disagree. If anything I am the one who is shocked about what I am hearing.

Lol at Mikasa being better when she is barely a character, all she does in the anime is Eren this and that (though there is a recent development in the mange that attempt to fixing this) The scenes with Balalaika and how she thinks is the definition of badass. Same goes to the scenes of Dutch where everyone in the room would acknowledge his presence and show respect. Roberta being a quiet lady that goes absolutely insane and brutal when it comes to combat is badass.

I would take that over your usual hot blooded anime teens any day.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yeah I also found Black Lagoon thoroughly average. Couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters tbh.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Star Precure - 32

i would be Dissapoint if Darknest behind The General home planet.

if he can do that? why not do more to other planets?

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update 2: finished Clannad After Story Ep 22. All is right in the world again. I'm still crying, and I still witnessed the saddest anime moments of my life, but it's going to be ok now.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
barring something miraculous like toonami /netflix helping, yeah its rip

its so good ;__;
Yeah, I'd assume if the author gets another anime, it's going to be his Fate spin-off or manga.
But, hey, if they get popular maybe someone will think "what else does this author have with criminals, magic, and guns" and somehow loop bac to Baccano.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
There's a screening in Glasgow next month, and two screenings in Edinburgh (Though one is sold out). Wouldn't necessarily rule out another festival screening before the year is out, though I was a little surprised to see it wasn't on this years London Film Festival line-up.

Ah yea I think I read about those screenings while I was trying to figure out when it was getting a wider release. I'd go, but I'm on the coast in Kent, so it's a 6-8 hour trip from here :(

I could deal with, like, three hours, maybe four at a pinch.

Ah, that would explain why my parent organisation hasn't put up a review yet

If they're in/close-to Scotland they might be able to put something together before the full release I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.