• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Promare-
sub05.jpg

Easily the best thing Imaishi has done since TTGL. I say this as someone that generally doesn't like Imaishi's directorial style. Still though, the work is Imaishi through and through so if you absolute hate all of his shows, including TTGL, then you probably won't like this. This movie though unlike most of Imaishi's works had an emotional core in it that is definitely closer to TTGL than any of his other works. In short, unlike Kill La Kill that was marketed by Aniplex as the spiritual successor to TTGL, Promare is without a doubt the spiritual successor to TTGL. Why am I bringing up TTGL so much? Because the movie is pretty much another take on the second half of TTGL almost note for note early on. Promare is a work where the more familiar you are with Imaishi's past works the more you will get out of it, both positively and negatively. The first 3/4ths of the movie aren't that referential despite sharing larger themes with past works but the final battle has a ton of Gainax references such as the Gainax Pose or throwbacks to Panty & Stocking. I was talking with someone after the movie and they loved that aspect of the movie while I hated it so you're going to see a lot of split opinions especially in regards to that part.

That said, up until a very particular point in the movie, I was seriously thinking that this might end up being better than TTGL. The movie goes to a certain place and it's such a high that I was sitting there being blown back in my seat. It's when Lio is in utter despair and is just going to burn down the entire city.Not only was the animation in that part especially good but the raw emotions from everyone came through. The movie had been building up to that scene and it's really something else. The problem is the part right after where the movie takes such a swerve that it forces you to have to roll with it and while they do play it off with jokes, it comes across as a really clumsy way of getting the characters back into the plot and serves as an exposition dump. It's a big misstep especially after how good the rest of the movie had been up onto that point. I feel like Nakashima could have done better to smooth that part into the movie, he does somewhat foreshadow it but it's placement and how important the sequence is, he should have done more.

I also have issues with how they handled the villain. I think a more nuanced take similar to how Rossiu was handled in TTGL would have done wonders. Early on that seems to have been what they were going for but they threw that out the window at a certain point. I guess Imaishi likes his villains being very 'defined'. One thing I'm not sure I'm reading correctly is that the villain hates Galo because Galo is a reflection of his own weakness and guilt, hence him trying to kill Galo all along. The villain's final form and weapons are really neat from both a design and functionality standpoint.

The animation in the movie is very good, both 2D and CGI. Imaishi deserves a lot of credit for how well implemented CGI was into this movie. There were a few cuts that I noticed the models were CGI but other times I wasn't sure. Imaishi also used lots and lots of camera rotations and motion so he was definitely taking advantage of the strength of CGI. It's in line with his work on Black Rock Shooter. Early on there is so much motion going on that it becomes a little overbearing, in that it's hard to keep track of everything but the movie takes a few steps back later and, outside of the final battle, the motion is a bit more restrained in comparison to the opening rescue sequence. The art direction uses lots and lots of geometric shapes such as triangles and rectangles, which gives it a unique flair in comparison to not only Imaishi's previous works but other anime in general. Similarly the color palette was surprisingly good especially in the more atmospheric/slower moments. The soundtrack is very Sawano which of course means there's some scenes that work really well and some that don't. I don't think there were any major clunkers music-wise though.

One thing that surprised me is how dark this movie is. The opening sequence actually reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori. The whole opening montage of the riots against the mutants and people being set on fire along with large parts of the Earth being set ablaze threw me for a loop. It was such a dark and untypical way for Imaishi to start any of his productions off. It works though as a way of highlighting how dangerous the Burnish are, as well as how showing how close the human race came to extinction. The movie has some really awesome scenes in it such as when the villain is trying to burn Galo to a crisp and Galo is covered in flames. Galo's outline looks like it's going to disappear like when a character dies such as Kittan in TTGL but the outline visually recovers itself and you see that Galo is alive and walking forward. It's a nice little play on the usual visual trope. I thought the storyboarding as well was a little sharper than Imaishi's usual fare for example he uses a pizza slice as a screen wipe early on.

Before watching this movie I was joking about if Imaishi is washed or not. Turns out both Imaishi and Nakashima still got some juice left in them.

Last edited:

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 1

Boring junk when the first half was playing it 100% straight but good stuff once the partner was introduced and you have all these little cultural interactions. Expected something more in tone with Double Decker but this leans closer to more urban fantasy which is a nice change of pace.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Also, what's the best way/order for me to watch the Fates series and its side stories (are the side ones must watch?). I know a new one just came out, but I'm not sure if I can just jump in there.
First off - it's complicated.

The order in which to watch Fate is a subject to some discussion and in the end is a matter of preference mostly but I'd reccomend starting with the prequel series, Fate/Zero, then going for Fate Stay/ Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the TV series, not the movie !) and if you want more at that point, watch the first of "soon" to be three movies - Fate Stay/Night Heaven's Feel Presage Flower which is another version/route of the story found in UBW.

Fate/Zero was created after FS/N but it takes place chronologically before it. As such I believe the latter (FS/N) spoils a lot of F/Z while said Fate/Zero spoils much less of Stay/Night making it the better choice to start on. It's also the best part of franchise so ...

Uffff. There is also the og Fate/Stay Night - the adaptation of first route of the original visual novel (UBW is 2nd route, HF is 3rd route) from which it all stems but it's really, really bad so do yourself a favor and avoid it. I think all of the other titles are basically spin offs not forming part of main story line above. I confess I'm not quite sure on what is their barrier of entry but I think they would probably benefit from watching UBW just to get the basic gist of the series under your belt.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Demon Slayer 14

my boy Inosuke was pulling off some Ray Mysterio moves on Tanjiro

Arifureta 01

Not a fan of all the not great CG but the plot has got me intrigued enough to keep watching

Granblem 01

Bleh, dropped. It's too bad since I was looking forward to this since it's by the Re Zero director

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 01

Eh. The buddy cop dynamic has potential but this was really bland when it was straight cop with no fantasy. Also, the action looks really bad.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba 14

God this was an awful episode. I can't believe that 2 of the main characters now are extremely annoying. Both of them scream all the time they're on screen that I'm getting a headache. I might be dropping this soon.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Fruits Basket 14

And now comes the part of the show where everyone is sad

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Takagi-san S2 ep.1
Ah man, I missed this stupid show, with this evilish sweet girl picking on the poor dense boy she loves. Too damn cute from start to finished.....

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The order in which to watch Fate is a subject to some discussion and in the end is a matter of preference mostly but I'd reccomend starting with the prequel series, Fate/Zero, then going for Fate Stay/ Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the TV series, not the movie !) and if you want more at that point, watch the first of "soon" to be three movies - Fate Stay/Night Heaven's Feel Presage Flower which is another version/route of the story found in UBW.

Fate/Zero was created after FS/N but it takes place chronologically before it. As such I believe the latter (FS/N) spoils a lot of F/Z while said Fate/Zero spoils much less of Stay/Night making it the better choice to start on. It's also the best part of franchise so ...

Uffff. There is also the og Fate/Stay Night - the adaptation of first route of the original visual novel (UBW is 2nd route, HF is 3rd route) from which it all stems but it's really, really bad so do yourself a favor and avoid it. I think all of the other titles are basically spin offs not forming part of main story line above. I confess I'm not quite sure on what is their barrier of entry but I think they would probably benefit from watching UBW just to get the basic gist of the series under your belt.
Thank you so much!!!

That really helped. I have funimation and vrv and I can't find fate/night unlimited works TV show, only the movie. Where can I watch it? Zero and the original are there in vrv

Edit: found it on Netflix

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga is already one if AOTY contenders. It's that fucking good.

So goooooood.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

One question, when you say routes, do you mean there is basically like 3 different endings of sorts? Is there one that is considered cannon?

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
One question, when you say routes, do you mean there is basically like 3 different endings of sorts? Is there one that is considered cannon?
Yes, but its not quite matter on big picture. The fan favorite is the UBW thats better adapted than the first anime with first ending.. there is currently ongoing trilogy movie project that adapt route with 3rd ending.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion 14

"You wanna crawl back into the womb?"

YOU ARE IN A WOMB

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Hello anime gaf,

I liked Vinland saga A LOT

Are there other historical anime like this that I can watch?

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Hello anime gaf,

The recent Altair anime had a unique historical setting but its first handful of episodes are a mess. Golden Kamuy is a mess of a production but also has a fairly unique setting and explores the Ainu quite well. Probably a wealth of shows to be recommended if you're interested in stuff that takes liberties and tests the boundaries of other genres, might stray comedic, or you're fine with a good deal of them being set in Asia but can't really think of much else as narrowly defined as I'm taking your post to be.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So the most see this season are Fire Force, Dr stone, and vinland saga? Anything else I'm missing?

Also, what's the best way/order for me to watch the Fates series and its side stories (are the side ones must watch?). I know a new one just came out, but I'm not sure if I can just jump in there.

I'm also wondering, is vinland saga only 3 episodes? Or more are coming weekly? I found interesting it came with 3 from the get go
Do it like me and start with Fate S/N. I don't know why people hate it so much. Even here.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Vinland Saga 01-03

Having read some of the manga, I wasn't very ecstatic about this, not that it was out right bad but it didn't appeal to me much beyond the art and the action. I was put off by the pace it was moving, the ruthless hostile world(some of the stuff is honestly still kind of disturbing for me) and the plot(at whatever point I left). While it doesn't seem to be very different in the anime, this is at least relatively easy to consume and with that gorgeous character art. More importantly, I can't entirely ignore this given all I hear.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Baseball Love Live 12

It was a good episode, but it only made me hate the whole thing more because it rendered the utterly stupid episode 6 drama pointless. A rare miss for me, even though I love trashy, bottom of the barrel mobage adaptations like Ange Vierge.

Boring Island Danganronpa 01

It was super weird, and very borning, but I want to see more of it.

Waver's Wild Ride 01

Its about what expected, but I like all Fate stuff, even crap like FGO.

Symphogear XV 01

Its Symphogear. I just want to see Miku being gay and Hibiki punching shit, and it looks like I'll get both based on this episode and the lyrics for Hibiki's character songs.

Girls Think About Sex Too 01

I expect things to go off the rails due to Mari Okada, but so far its completely okay.

Fire Force 01

It looks pretty, but that's about it. Wish DP put in this much effort in JoJo.

Dr. Stone 01

I dropped the manga after the first chapter, but it was more interesting than I imagined so I might pick it back up.

Nichibros (the Girl Version) 01

This was extremely funny, even if the "interesting girl" angle overstayed its welcome. The manga is pretty funny too, so I'll keep watching.

Lost In Space 01

I wasn't expecting this, but its a good surprise so I'll keep watching and hope it doesn't go to shit.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 1

Wow this sure is way uglier than it deserves. By far my favorite debut this season. What can I say. I've got a type. Urban fantasy is my jam.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
One question, when you say routes, do you mean there is basically like 3 different endings of sorts?
Yes. Like many a VN, each route starts the same than gradually branches off into it's own thing, endings included. Each of those routes now has its own anime adaptation, though Heaven's Feel is as of now incomplete, second of 3 movies being only released in JP cinemas a short while ago.
Is there one that is considered cannon?
I'm not actually sure. I don't think so but maybe a person with a better grasp on actual VN can answer this better. But there are some deeper lore/ plot heavy revelations that I believe get only touched on by Heaven's Feel. (And the prequel F/Z)
Hello anime gaf,

Chevalier d'eon is a fairly decent historical fiction (with weak middle though) set in XVIII France.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Its a bit lewd (or very) but Fire Force ED looks fantastic. Who's key figure behind it?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a strange season so far?

One half of the season is absolutely a looker and good or just interesting:

Dr. Stone
Fire Force
Vinland Saga
Sounan desu ka?! (for 12 minutes of stupid funny shit)
Astra was okay too

The other half I don't know what most of the time is even happening:

Isekai Retry boring af
That Isekai with the guy in the hole that is edgy at the end (where I read that mostly everything to this moment was just skipped so it doesn't even make sense)
That daugther anime with the guy that that looks cute, but goes to the bad side later?
That live streaming anime where a giant panda is just...there?

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Last edited:

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vinland Saga is made by the same guys as AoT right? Hope we will get some banging tracks cause the OST is one of the highpoints of AoT.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Maybe something like [...] Kingdom.
Plz no.
As an adaptation, it can be compared to Berserk 2016 (well, the first season mainly, the second has slightly less terrifying 3D stuff). If you are somewhat interested, either read the manga or watch the live-action movie that recently came out in Japan.

Also, it might be interesting to note that Kingdom is much more historical than Vinland. VS has a historical setting and characters, but ~80% of what we see is pure fiction

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ace of Diamond 15
He protec, but can he also attac?
Also, it might be interesting to note that Kingdom is much more historical than Vinland. VS has a historical setting and characters, but ~80% of what we see is pure fiction
Hara definitely exercised his artistic freedom, though. Demon-inhabited supersoldiers, generals launching dozens of soldiers several feet into the air with a swing, soldiers cleaving through bronze armor like we'd cleave through a human sized, room temperature block of butter, bizarre (or incredibly basic) strategies played straight [we're supposed to be in awe, of course], the elevation of relatively unknown (or more accurately, so insignificant that historians of the time period never even bothered to detail their existences) historic figures to VIPs, impossibly seductive lips, a limitless propensity for being shocked and Hara's ability to somehow make all of it work. Aspirational!

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Not being able to watch karakai jouzu no takagi-san s2 is giving me depression.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 1

Not bad. Setting is intereresting, animation is pretty good and the dynamic between the mcs could be good.

But I am kinda getting some Dimension W vibes where I am quite interested at first but it can't really hold my attention over the course of the series

Status
Not open for further replies.