• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Symphogear is awesome and everyone should watch it.
Vinland Saga was not really my thing so I probably will stop watching it.
Hensuki I also probably wont watch but it was really cute that the girl wanted to be a dog.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A bit behind the times as usual, but I managed to polish off Sarazanmai last week - I stalled after episode 6 for some reason, but then did the rest in one sitting. My thoughts on it are inextricably linked to other Ikuni shows, rather than taking it on its own merits.

It does a much better job of pacing than Yurikuma did with a similarly short run; even in its more episodic first half it's more entertaining, and although a much more straightforward/less allegorical narrative that's no real bad thing. There are fewer "abandoned ideas" than in PingDrum, too (although I think Sara falls into this category somewhat). I also enjoyed the crowd-pleasing ending, although I would maybe have enjoyed something even more bittersweet.

Things I thought didn't work:

- the monster of the week element. The kappa zombies were too disconnected (apt!) from the events of whatever episode they came from, unless I'm being phenomenally thick; they didn't tie in thematically to anything going on in the main events of the story. The episodes don't culminate in the fight as catharsis/resolution; it's the memory leaks afterwards that actually matter, and they don't reflect the battles at all (which, surprisingly, don't really explore any of the dramatic possibilities that the episodes present - the kappa trio are able to do their spinny attack thing constantly, even when they all seem to hate each other...). Because the memory leaks are so interesting - and the stock footage associated with the fights is so spectacular - they're never boring to experience, but they're just a little dramatically inert.

- Sara in the second half of the series. Totally superfluous.

Things I thought did work:

- the show looks and sounds great; a huge step up from Yurikuma, back to PingDrum levels. Perhaps it's a bit facile of me to gloss over the production values of the show as an anime, but it's solid, and occasionally spectacular (although some of that is the early shock value of the shirikodama extraction and otter dance stock footage, which settles down as you go into the show).

- the treatment of LGBT issues; something Ikuni's traditionally pretty good at, obviously, but still worth remarking on in an industry prone to the use of okama stereotypes or reductive seme/uke characterisations.

- the humour, particularly all the Keppi sight gags. And I hate anime humour!

- the main narrative and characterisation. This is probably the least allegorical and abstract of Ikuni's stories (admittedly I've not read Nokemono, and only a bit of S&M no Sekai), but as something more character-based I think it succeeds admirably; it's really just about three boys
maybe five, if you include Leo/Mabu
and their connections to other people.
And this is even with one character who actively declares themselves to be an abstract concept...
. The characters are generally consistently and interestingly written, and their small story arcs are effectively handled.

Not my favourite Ikuhara show, but certainly another good one!

Oct 25, 2017
BLack Clover 91

Wow they went on all on showing just how strong Mereleona is. I was wow.

Ace of Diamond Act II Episode 15

Eijun Sawamura fans where are you. Sorry Satoru Furuya fans your boy collapsed just as he always does and so embarassingly too, goodness, that was the worst I've ever seen.

But Sawamura, never have I ever gotten so fired up at an episode then brought to deals when he just got strike after strike after strike and left everyone shaken and awed. Good googly moogly. Even though I read this already seeing it animated was just, wow. Wow.

I cried.

Okumura was too shocked to do anything. Cant wait to see how he handles this new Sawamura.
tumblr_pudp6isJ4n1sbu9obo2_500.gif

tumblr_pudp6isJ4n1sbu9obo4_500.gif

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga is made by the same guys as AoT right? Hope we will get some banging tracks cause the OST is one of the highpoints of AoT.

Yutaka Yamada is the composer for Vinland Saga so I'm doubtful we'll get anything as bombastic as Sawano's AoT stuff. He's mostly known to anime fans for his Tokyo Ghoul work which was probably better than the show deserved.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine liking anime and not watching Symphogear.

Otherwise why even bother? What fun could you possibly be having watching anything else airing right now? Aside from Granbelm but jury's still out on that one

You remember fun right? It's that thing largely absent from this medium mostly thanks to the massive influx of isekai anime lately.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Otherwise why even bother? What fun could you possibly be having watching anything else airing right now? Aside from Granbelm but jury's still out on that one

You remember fun right? It's that thing largely absent from this medium mostly thanks to the massive influx of isekai anime lately.

It's also largely missing from this thread, but that's neither here nor there.

Better stick to slice of life anime

U2hM3B3l.jpg

Case in point.

There aren't really any more isekai shows than there are other genres every season. Unless you're someone who thinks isekai and fantasy are the same thing.

Maou-sama Retry
Arifueta
Isekai Cheat Magician
Do You Love Mom and Her Two-Hit Attacks?

That's a lot of isekai series. :P

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear is awesome and everyone should watch it.
Vinland Saga was not really my thing so I probably will stop watching it.
Hensuki I also probably wont watch but it was really cute that the girl wanted to be a dog.
Syphongear is anything but awesome.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Maou-sama Retry
Arifueta
Isekai Cheat Magician
Do You Love Mom and Her Two-Hit Attacks?

That's a lot of isekai series. :P

Yeah but there's also like 4 school comedies, 4 shounen action series, 3 idol shows, 3 magical girl shows. You know what I'm trying to say, Isekai isn't really represented more than other genres, and this season even has more than usual.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
we need more sci-fi/action series (besides gundam). I`'ll even accept an isekai series in space if i can get a star wars like anime.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

I figure anyone that has already watched Symphogear is already all over XV and anyone interested probably feels misled when they discover the first season is more bad than good without being given warning from the fanbase.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
If y'all haven't seen Grand Blue Dreaming yet you're really missing out.

How Many Kilograms are the Dumbbells you Lift is gonna great too

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In a good universe Nichijou exploded and it was the one anime that everyone copied, not Isekais

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Takagi-san S2 01

The master of psychological torture returns.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Vinland Saga 01-03

Weird release schedule, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. Been really meaning to get into this since Vinland Saga is usually 2nd series after Berserk that people bring up when it comes to great, mature stories.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The Vinland Saga anime sounds promising, I've been holding off on reading the manga. It's crazy how much longer it is than his previous series Planetes, which I loved.
Promare-
sub05.jpg

Easily the best thing Imaishi has done since TTGL. I say this as someone that generally doesn't like Imaishi's directorial style. Still though, the work is Imaishi through and through so if you absolute hate all of his shows, including TTGL, then you probably won't like this. This movie though unlike most of Imaishi's works had an emotional core in it that is definitely closer to TTGL than any of his other works. In short, unlike Kill La Kill that was marketed by Aniplex as the spiritual successor to TTGL, Promare is without a doubt the spiritual successor to TTGL. Why am I bringing up TTGL so much? Because the movie is pretty much another take on the second half of TTGL almost note for note early on. Promare is a work where the more familiar you are with Imaishi's past works the more you will get out of it, both positively and negatively. The first 3/4ths of the movie aren't that referential despite sharing larger themes with past works but the final battle has a ton of Gainax references such as the Gainax Pose or throwbacks to Panty & Stocking. I was talking with someone after the movie and they loved that aspect of the movie while I hated it so you're going to see a lot of split opinions especially in regards to that part.

That said, up until a very particular point in the movie, I was seriously thinking that this might end up being better than TTGL. The movie goes to a certain place and it's such a high that I was sitting there being blown back in my seat. It's when Lio is in utter despair and is just going to burn down the entire city.Not only was the animation in that part especially good but the raw emotions from everyone came through. The movie had been building up to that scene and it's really something else. The problem is the part right after where the movie takes such a swerve that it forces you to have to roll with it and while they do play it off with jokes, it comes across as a really clumsy way of getting the characters back into the plot and serves as an exposition dump. It's a big misstep especially after how good the rest of the movie had been up onto that point. I feel like Nakashima could have done better to smooth that part into the movie, he does somewhat foreshadow it but it's placement and how important the sequence is, he should have done more.

I also have issues with how they handled the villain. I think a more nuanced take similar to how Rossiu was handled in TTGL would have done wonders. Early on that seems to have been what they were going for but they threw that out the window at a certain point. I guess Imaishi likes his villains being very 'defined'. One thing I'm not sure I'm reading correctly is that the villain hates Galo because Galo is a reflection of his own weakness and guilt, hence him trying to kill Galo all along. The villain's final form and weapons are really neat from both a design and functionality standpoint.

The animation in the movie is very good, both 2D and CGI. Imaishi deserves a lot of credit for how well implemented CGI was into this movie. There were a few cuts that I noticed the models were CGI but other times I wasn't sure. Imaishi also used lots and lots of camera rotations and motion so he was definitely taking advantage of the strength of CGI. It's in line with his work on Black Rock Shooter. Early on there is so much motion going on that it becomes a little overbearing, in that it's hard to keep track of everything but the movie takes a few steps back later and, outside of the final battle, the motion is a bit more restrained in comparison to the opening rescue sequence. The art direction uses lots and lots of geometric shapes such as triangles and rectangles, which gives it a unique flair in comparison to not only Imaishi's previous works but other anime in general. Similarly the color palette was surprisingly good especially in the more atmospheric/slower moments. The soundtrack is very Sawano which of course means there's some scenes that work really well and some that don't. I don't think there were any major clunkers music-wise though.

One thing that surprised me is how dark this movie is. The opening sequence actually reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori. The whole opening montage of the riots against the mutants and people being set on fire along with large parts of the Earth being set ablaze threw me for a loop. It was such a dark and untypical way for Imaishi to start any of his productions off. It works though as a way of highlighting how dangerous the Burnish are, as well as how showing how close the human race came to extinction. The movie has some really awesome scenes in it such as when the villain is trying to burn Galo to a crisp and Galo is covered in flames. Galo's outline looks like it's going to disappear like when a character dies such as Kittan in TTGL but the outline visually recovers itself and you see that Galo is alive and walking forward. It's a nice little play on the usual visual trope. I thought the storyboarding as well was a little sharper than Imaishi's usual fare for example he uses a pizza slice as a screen wipe early on.

Before watching this movie I was joking about if Imaishi is washed or not. Turns out both Imaishi and Nakashima still got some juice left in them.
So like everything Imaishi, the role of women is awful in it?

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm forever salty about getting turned away from the Promare line because they booked the Jojo panel right before it and nobody was leaving their seat after it was done

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So like everything Imaishi, the role of women is awful in it?
Well there are two major females in Promare (there are side-waifus but they don't count). They're sisters and the relationship between the two is important to the film. It's not exactly deep or great stuff but thinking about it, it's a significant step up from other Imaishi works. Neither has their tits hanging out like Yoko, sleeping around like Panty, or getting fingerbanged by their mom like Satsuki. Progress!

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Vinland Saga 01-03

Weird release schedule, but still enjoyed it nonetheless. Been really meaning to get into this since Vinland Saga is usually 2nd series after Berserk that people bring up when it comes to great, mature stories.
Glad you enjoyed it. Manga is great too if you decide to carry on after the anime
Berserk you say? Nothing will top that ever, at least not to me.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Does anyone know what's up with Mix? It still shows up on CR under This Season but it's been a little while since the last episode. It was like in the middle of a game and there was a preview for a new episode but there wasn't a new episode this week. Is it just taking a week break or will it be longer? 😭

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Well there are two major females in Promare (there are side-waifus but they don't count). They're sisters and the relationship between the two is important to the film. It's not exactly deep or great stuff but thinking about it, it's a significant step up from other Imaishi works. Neither has their tits hanging out like Yoko, sleeping around like Panty, or getting fingerbanged by their mom like Satsuki. Progress!
That's a little promising. Since you compared it to the second half of Gurren Lagann, I was expectinging something on par with what he did with Nia.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond Act II 15

This is why I watch this show. Holy hell those last two batters, I got chills. Get lost Furuya, the real Ace is here.

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 1

Love the post apocalyptic setup.

Otherwise, bring on Chrome. All I need. My pairing had a scene in the ED awesome.

Explanations of things just as dry and dull as I expected.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Dr. Stone, i plan on jumping to the manga after the season is done.

Someone should make an OT for the anime! it's a really interesting premise.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Question: is there ant point to watching Dr Stone if I'm reading the manga? It just doesn't seem like the type of manga that translates well to anime.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Is the new Fairy Tail season actually doing well? I noticed that the pace has slowed down with the latest episodes with a lot of flashbacks and such, making me think they intend to continue after this "last arc".

Status
Not open for further replies.