• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Kitaro 64

DyaHfgGX4AA8Prt.jpg

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through Fate/Zero and I like it a lot. So here comes the real question...do I continue on into F/SN UBW afterwards?

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Kitaro 64
download-1.png

Glad this show can manage to have a happy ending in such a dark episode, because whew.

Just whew lads.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So it turns out I'm a mod now. Which means I get to purge all of you who voted for Made in Abyss over Girls Last Tour. I'm coming for you.
UbkAxsc.jpg

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
We Never Learn ep.12/13 S1 END:
Well, I'm glad an S2 was announced already because that final episode was cute af. I mean, you knew it was coming with those two eventually, but the set-up was classic at least. The show was just average all the way around, but it was funny at times and showed heart at times, so I'll take it. (And now wait until next season for more)

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I bought SNAFU season 1 and 2 because it was on sale and people recommended it to me ages ago. Still haven't watched it, and still have no idea if I will like it or not.

I really need to watch some of these shows before I buy them.
Yahallo?! Season 3 is coming. You better catch up! :P

Going hard in the romance genre. Started 3 shows since this season is kinda dry for me.

Nisekoi S1 Ep.1
Ok didnt expect it to be another harem show. So far its quite funny and the cast are for the most part likable.

Kimi ni Todoke S1 Ep.1-7

Oh man the MC is so naiv and dense at times it hurts xD The art style is very minimalistic and yet beautiful. But i see that this a veeery slow paced show.

Bloom Into You Ep.1
Well i proably found another of on those must see shows. Going to binge it asap!

Violet Evergarden S1+OVA Finished
All i can say is that im going to miss Saber. All these episodes hit very hard and her inner struggle (took a while before her back story was interesting) made me appreciate all the side stories she was confronted over course of the show. A eye melting gorgeous masterpiece, which i will most definite rewatch

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
now that jarmel is a mod we can finally set out on our quest to defeat the gods (mods) of this realm

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Hensuki episode 2

"Eat my panties, slave!"
Every girl in this show is going to be fucking nuts, aren't they?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out I'm a mod now. Which means I get to purge all of you who voted for Made in Abyss over Girls Last Tour. I'm coming for you.
UbkAxsc.jpg
Maybe I would have voted for girls last tour if it hadn't been so boring through 2 episodes that I couldn't be bothered to continue with it :P

I do need to give it another try with the dub though.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Tokyo Ghoul ep.1-5
1rq4SSi.gif

Random watch that was meh so far, that was until I got to end of episode 5....

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. For some reason, that block was the balls.... excellent stuff. I hate this antagonist and I hope he gets destroyed... I'm a little more invested now in the show after this...

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Bem 1

Haven't seen a production executed so poorly but with such good intentions in a while so I think I'll stick with this one. Maybe it'll be one of those shows that gets better as it goes along.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts 3 - DROPPED
This whole adaptation has felt like a mixed bag, from the colossal mistake of a first episode to the mostly competent second episode. This one, though... just felt like it missed the spark needed for the emotional beats to land. It's not like the material is devoid of anything that would create some emotional stakes in the conflict or have something to say about the way people treat those who suffer from mental illnesses suffered during wartime, but it's just not well directed enough for any of those things to land properly.

It doesn't help that the adaptation (and I imagine the manga as well) feels the need to deflate the tension of what's happening a bit with some flagrantly juvenile humor at almost a routine clip. There is a time and a place for all of that, but seeing the remnants of soldier's corpses in a scene that looks like a 19th century remake of Rambo followed up with a gag about Charlotte losing her footing and almost getting cut in half with a hilarious reaction from her after the fact feels like it does more harm than good. It's not to say that Charlotte's presence isn't a good thing, but that having her be the butt of physical humor to ease the mood of the show takes away from the impact the themes could have had.

It doesn't help that Sacred Beasts draws more comparisons technically speaking to Overlord than I care to admit. While the difference between the source material's art is quite a bit smaller than in Overlord's case, there's a particular lack of polish to Sacred Beasts that also saps away at the potential of transporting the viewer into the show. MAPPA usually has a higher standard than this technically speaking, though given how much of a hack-job of the original manga this has been so far, I'm not surprised if this didn't get much more resources or time than the latest seasons of Overlord did at Madhouse. But in a season with Fire Force and Vinland Saga setting the expectations for this season's action shows, Sacred Beasts looks like a very low-level production that can't hold a candle to Wit and David Production's output.

Combine this with the thematic missteps from earlier, and I think it's easy to say with so much on my plate, I think I would be better off passing on Sacred Beasts and just checking out the manga instead.

Cop Craft 2
It's kind of hard to know what to say about Cop Craft. It's so pointedly calculated to be a typical police procedural with a supernatural edge, and it manages to be just that without anything extra distinguishing it. It's kind of impressive in a way just how pitch perfect it is at replicating an average cop drama; but it comes at the cost of having anything in particular that makes it stand out.

I think the easiest way to put this is your mileage with this kind of material will greatly effect your enjoyment of the show. It's so thoroughly aping the structure, tone, and pacing of the genre it represents that you aren't going to enjoy Cop Craft unless you have a certain affinity for those kinds of shows to begin with. That said, in comparison to a litany of shows like this I suffer through because of my job that are either so pro-cop that it makes you want to puke or unrelenting in having their heroes act like action stars taking out armed nobodies by the dozens, Cop Craft feels a lot more responsibly grounded in reality in a weird way. Kei works a hard beat on a tough street, and while that's turned him into a miserable loner, he still maintains a sense of duty as a cop that feels earnest without being sycophantic. And while Tilarna's position in her society make it hard to judge her motives, it's clear she has some kind of personal drive to live up to her title, whatever it is. It's the one thing they can bond over, as much as they bitch about each other.

The thing is, I don't see this particular plot thread carrying all the way through the entire season. At most, there may only be one or two more episodes on this initial story before I imagine other cases will come to mind. However, I wonder what will convince her to stay? Perhaps the necromancer introduced here will be a re-occurring villain should he get away, or some other politics in her homeland force her to continue in her current duties. I guess we'll see, but things are moving too quickly for this to continue endlessly at this rate. How it chooses to wrap up this story block may make my decision about sticking with it for me, but as a sucker for this stuff, I may continue regardless of whether it manages to improve beyond what we've seen so far.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
PILI Fantasy War of Dragons 1-3

Bloody Netflix didn't deign to put this out in the potatoland.
UbkAxsc.jpg
My list had only one slot in it for shows with copious amounts of naked 10 year olds. Sorry.
wtf I love Eureka 7 now
NIce try.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 2

I'm really enjoying it thus far. The only issues I've had is that while the art itself is actually pretty decent, the animation surrounding it can range from good to... awkwardly stiff. This might be a case where hopefully the writing can carry the show.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Yahallo?! Season 3 is coming. You better catch up! :P

I had no idea, lol. Yeah, I should probably get on that.

Girl's Last Tour is also on my backlog, but I love what I watched of it, so I welcome our new Anime Overlord.

Nothing like implicitly depressing slice of life shows. I tried to get my SO to watch it, but she was too bored by the first episode, lol.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Week catch-up:
Fire Force 2
Way more emotional than expected, especially after that opening, the reveal of the rival, and the goofiness of the

DanMachi II 1
Interesting direction to go in, tho I'm surprised this didn't seem to be mentioned at all up to this point. Also, I am still surprised I like this show as I usually find most shows with such a focus on this flavor of fan-service off-putting.

One Piece 893
Waiting for the inevitable drop in animation quality, but a few of the scenes here looked surprisingly good. Wano starting off on a strong foot here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Ghoul ep.1-5
1rq4SSi.gif

Random watch that was meh so far, that was until I got to end of episode 5....

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. For some reason, that block was the balls.... excellent stuff. I hate this antagonist and I hope he gets destroyed... I'm a little more invested now in the show after this...

Cornbread, I feel like we're internet pals so I have to warn you.

TG is among the worst anime I've ever seen and it only gets worse as it goes along.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through Fate/Zero and I like it a lot. So here comes the real question...do I continue on into F/SN UBW afterwards?
Honestly, give it a shot. It's not the same tone, but it does continue the story.

Feel free to drop it at any time since it REALLY does not have the same tone and "maturity" as Fate Zero.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
UbkAxsc.jpg
I flipped a coin what can I say.

In other news:

Symphogear XV 02

Never claim to win when you're the good guys because then the last 10 minutes of the episode happens.

Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator 01

This episode was everything I wanted and more.

Cop Craft 02

These two are going to be the best of friends by the end of this.

Bem 01

I feel like I should like everything I saw in this but I dunno, something about it seems off. Might be the transformation in part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.