• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer 19

Holy fuck that was one of the best if not best animated sequences this year.

Like wow that combo.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The author for Kimetsu must be absolutely happy for how glorious that animated sequence was.

She must be bawling because I would if I were her lol.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
This year has had some awesomely animated fights so hard to decide (like last episode of Luffy vs Katakuri and Levi vs Beast Titan and well whole Mob Psycho II lol) but defintely one of the highlights.

Yes there has definitely been so many insanely good animated sequences this year.

It's been such a treat. It's really hard to say which is the best.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Why do so many anime, mangas and light novels have the representation of the seven deadly sins in them? One anime is even named after them. 😪
Edit: Finished episode 15 of Re Zero. I won't be able to sleep tonight. 😨

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why do so many anime, mangas and light novels have the representation of the seven deadly sins in them? One anime is even named after them. 😪

There are two anime named after the concept, actually! In addition to the battle shounen manga adaptation, there's a lesser-known ecchi Seven Deadly Sins anime made to advertise a figure line.

At any rate, I think it can be chalked up to the general fascination Japanese popular culture has with the aesthetic trappings of Christianity, especially Catholic Christianity. The nuns in Fire Force would be another recent example.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear XV episode 6:
Symphogear in a gif
GlFv3pp.gif

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Edit: Finished episode 15 of Re Zero. I won't be able to sleep tonight. 😨
There are two anime named after the concept, actually! In addition to the battle shounen manga adaptation, there's a lesser-known ecchi Seven Deadly Sins anime made to advertise a figure line.

At any rate, I think it can be chalked up to the general fascination Japanese popular culture has with the aesthetic trappings of Christianity, especially Catholic Christianity. The nuns in Fire Force would be another recent example.
Japan has a strange relationship with Catholicism. Here's a TV Tropes page on it, with examples!

Historically, it probably goes back to the days when Catholic missionaries made their way to Japan, and the very knee-jerk reaction to it by means of banning Christianity and performing executions, where needed. So Catholicism, or at least its features, has cemented its place* as part of the folklore from which to draw inspiration (in a neutral sense) for fictional works. I can think of a few examples of Buddhism being sampled similarly, and lots of examples of Shinto folklore being sampled.

*Recent example being Dororo, where the nun and children she took care of were killed. The imagery echoing the persecution of Catholics in Japan.

Edit: It should be noted that the missionaries weren't entirely innocent in their conduct.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Demon Slayer is very tactically dragging out its episodes, only to pepper in some exciting, visually pleasing scenes near the end, or otherwise sporadically, to keep the viewers moderately entertained. Problem being that this technique is being used excessively. I can already more or less time when I should wake up from my nap to catch the ever obvious conclusion to each antagonist's story line. I don't know if it is also structured like this in the manga, but it's frankly obnoxious.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Oppai missiles may predate Aphrodite A, I'm not enough of an expert to know if that's the case but Mazinger Z is from the seventies so it sure predates Mahoromatic.
That particular character has a robotic body which is chock-full of references to various robot shows - Mazinger, Gunbuster, Gundam... all sorts of stuff.
This is tempting but season one of Symphogear did nothing for me.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Oct 25, 2017
Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba 19

Was more impressed over zenitsus fight than with tanjiro's since tanjiro's better fights were actually against the drum dude since he had to grow and evolve in that one, while in this one it was just a matter, of oh i got a memory for some strange reason and oh nezuko woke up at just the right time to save me, just felt like an unearned win.

Fire Style jutsu better than Water style jutsu.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Symphogear season 1 isn't the best representation of the series since they didn't really know what they were doing and it wasn't planned to continue into multiple seasons.

Didn't help that the studio originally making the first season, Encourage Films, completely melted under the pressure and the production had to be rescued by Satelight (which ended up fully taking over for the rest of the seasons).

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
actually, does anyone have any good resources on symphogear production? would be interested in learning some names behind the sakuga

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the best part of the episode was the dumb ninja car bullshit that immediately followed the boob missiles.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 6

Between this ep and the last, I've grown to like Senku a lot more. He's less know-it-all and more tireless worker than I expected. Skipping the ED this week to highlight the pulley sequence was the good stuff.

Fire Force 5

oh no what if each successive episode ends up looking better than the last

Oct 25, 2017
tired - getting into symphogear because of the opening of GX
wired - getting into symphogear because of Vanessas torpedo tits
inspired - getting into symphogear because of Fine's English in Season 1

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, between Fire Force and recent episode of Demon Slayer I need to know what actually changed in dimming procedure. I loving it.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Craft 5

Speaking of Symphogear S1, this might be the worst episode production I've seen since then. What a colossal mess.

Magical Sempai 6

huh this might be the worst ep yet.

Yamishibai S7 5

Clever premise that wasn't executed well enough. Feels like that's the theme of this season.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 27

Plonk is the best fairy this franchise has ever had. A true unsung hero. I hope he finds love someday.
...Kind of a boring episode though.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 27

Empty spectacle, the episode. And not even good spectacle. Space rules have always been dumb in this show, but it was dumber than normal this time. Ayewon carried the episode in her new mech confirming that she's separated from the Notrayders. So they're down their second best villain. Thank you Lala for saying that Ayewon deserves no sympathy for her self-inflicted plight. I can kind of get Ayewon being sensitive to people accusing her of tricking people, but it's Ayewon. The one person Yuni in particular has all the right in the universe to trick and ignore. And to top it all off we're missing out on Lala's home for another week. At least Prunce was mildly entertaining?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
tired - getting into symphogear because of the opening of GX
wired - getting into symphogear because of Vanessas torpedo tits
inspired - getting into symphogear because of Fine's English in Season 1
Only season I saw, and the only thing I remember(and it being a hot mess). Everyone seems to really into it now though, so maybe I'll catch up at some point.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Dr. Stone 6

Great adaptation, loving all the scientific accuracy and all that. Senku is such a great character even in the manga

-

Fire Force 5

DP keeps on surprising me with their goodness. Next episode is going to be mad!

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the best part of the episode was the dumb ninja car bullshit that immediately followed the boob missiles.

I just nodded and accepted the boob missiles but the car ninja stuff is... nonsense.

I still fucking love how Symphogear just doesn't care though, its entertaining

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Golden Time for the first time, that was super enjoyable! Definitely brought some tearjerker moments and kept me interested in its story and Banri's mental and emotional state constantly worsening. Solid 7, but I do need to stop getting so attached to casts. I always really like the characters and get super depressed when it's over :(

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Yama no Susume 09-10

Gosh this is so sweet. Though not sweet to an extent that it's pretentious but very adorable. Great character designs.

El Melloi Case Files 06

I feel blessed for watching this episode. Not the show, just this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.