• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
missing

Angel Beats
Hamatora
Re:Hamatora
Hitorijime My Hero
Majestic Prince
W'Z
Glasslip
Amagi Brilliant Park
Tsuritama
I will agree I'm missing Angel beats and Tsuritama.
Amagi Brilliant park is one I didn't miss. While I enjoyed it well enough it's just okay not good. It was close to being included though.
As for the others I either haven't seen them or don't consider them good.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
demon slayer is such a waste of Ufotable animation but then again so is most of their non Nasuverse stuff except maybe a few Tales specials.

edit: did the nasuverse shows get review bombed on MAL recently? Remember the stuff being high 8s low 9s.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start Cop Craft but I think I can put it off until AotY voting happens.
I'm still hoping something comes out this year that beats out Kaguya love is war for me. So far that hasn't happened which is disappointing. As while Kaguya is a great show... it's also not remotely the best that Kaguya has to offer lol.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
year is pretty much over for me, Sarazanmai #1 Kaguya #2. summer and fall will just be picking up the leftovers and getting that wave of films

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
year is pretty much over for me, Sarazanmai #1 Kaguya #2. summer and fall will just be picking up the leftovers and getting that wave of films
there are a number of sequels in the fall that might compete for me, but most of them that I see competing are confirmed to be 2 cour already which will put them only halfway out when it comes time to voting which means I will not include them on my list and instead include them in 2020 voting.

Thus I think the sequel with the most chance to trump Kaguya is High Score Girl.

the new show from the fall with likely the most potential for me is Beastars but since it's been netflixed I won't see it until 2020.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure if any of these are strictly exclusive to them, but some shows/a movie that stand out and I couldn't find anywhere else with a quick search:

Penguindrum
K-On
Garden of Words
I saw that they had K-On OVAs, but I didn't realize they had the series too! I can finally get that off my back log.

Heard good things about the other two as well in the past. Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't met anyone who watched Glasslip that doesn't consider it one of the worst they've ever seen. I think most of the others here are mediocre as well.
What, some of these are my favorites like Tsuritama so colorful and such good friendship, Hitorijime my Hero is a beautiful romance and coming of age story, and Glasslip just hits every single note for the genre.

Angel Beats is a required seasonal watch. The anime is just that good, Ive rewatched it at least 10 times now.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I will happily defend Tsuritama any day of the week. It really is a great looking show with some really fun writing.

Glasslip is one of the most boring shows I've ever seen.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally saw The Castle of Cagliostro to completion for the first time on Netflix. Even the earliest Ghibli films still look amazing, and it's a hilarious revelation to see the inspiration for both April O' Neil and the Foot Soldiers for the original TMNT cartoon (and allegedly Inspector Gadget as well, as DiC was trying to get the rights to a Western adaptation of Lupin III).

In any event, I was wondering how much recommended Lupin material was available legally to stream? So far I've only found Part 4 on Funimation's app. I'd love to see the Goemon movie but it doesn't look like that's legally available anywhere.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I finally saw The Castle of Cagliostro to completion for the first time on Netflix. Even the earliest Ghibli films still look amazing, and it's a hilarious revelation to see the inspiration for both April O' Neil and the Foot Soldiers for the original TMNT cartoon (and allegedly Inspector Gadget as well, as DiC was trying to get the rights to a Western adaptation of Lupin III).

In any event, I was wondering how much recommended Lupin material was available legally to stream? So far I've only found Part 4 on Funimation's app. I'd love to see the Goemon movie but it doesn't look like that's legally available anywhere.
Crunchyroll has Parts 1-5 of the TV series, but the movies aren't streaming anymore as far as I can tell. I think Hulu used to have a bunch, but they got delisted.

Still really wanna watch The Woman Called Fujiko Mine legally, but unless I want to cough up the inflated prices now that the blue ray is out of print, I am out of luck.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of firsts, I've also started watching Angel's Egg for the first time ever.

It's wild to see how blatantly some older works have inspired modern day material. I'm pretty sure this film is where Kojima got most of the ideas for Death Stranding.

including "bio tanks" and the way ghosts are portrayed in both

Castle in the Sky is also literally the origin of Final Fantasy.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it will get (a little) better after this arc.
Does Arther get any better because the "joke" about him being too stupid to realize he was using the wrong hand has me ready to write off his character completely and start ignoring the show any time he is on screen. (which might result in me eventually dropping it since the cat girl is already at that status.)

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I love the beastars manga and thought that the anime will suck but I have to say that this looks gooood

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Angel's Egg done.

Beautiful animation and music, but I am once again given a sobering reminder that I can't handle artsy films of this nature. No matter how vague the message is, if there's even a message at all, I end up feeling sad and jaded because it's almost always interpreted as "life sucks, your existence is meaningless".

I don't like feeling sad.

Does Arther get any better because the "joke" about him being too stupid to realize he was using the wrong hand has me ready to write off his character completely and start ignoring the show any time he is on screen. (which might result in me eventually dropping it since the cat girl is already at that status.)

I'm okay with Arthur because he at least pulls his weight most of the time.

Meanwhile, this is how I feel about Zenitsu in Demon Slayer. Everyone else is praising it as one of the "best animes ever", and I'd respect that choice even though it's premature if it wasn't for this one character.

The last episode was fantastic with a beautiful ending, and every character shown was on point....all because Zenitsu barely got a few seconds this time. Any other moment it's agony.

The episode before last helped steer him a little bit, but it's one thing for the series to acknowledge how he behaves and whether he actually grows better as a result of it.

He's not quite "Mika in Psycho-Pass S2" but he's darn close.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
beastars, my hero season 4, chihayaruru 3, fate/grand order, high score girl 2, new seven deadly sins season, psycho pass 3, sword art online alicization part 2

at least one of those should turn out decently :P

Beastars is clearly my number 1 so that's not a worry. Everything else other than HSG is iffy.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Any details yet on the writer/director/etc?

It's going to take a lot to win my faith back after the massive piece of shit season 2 was.

If Mika isn't killed off in the first five minutes then forget the whole thing
t6XACHF.png

looks like the same director?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the Madoka spinoff also supposed to come out this summer? Does that have a date yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Angel's Egg done.

Beautiful animation and music, but I am once again given a sobering reminder that I can't handle artsy films of this nature. No matter how vague the message is, if there's even a message at all, I end up feeling sad and jaded because it's almost always interpreted as "life sucks, your existence is meaningless".

I don't like feeling sad.

Since Mamoru Oshii made Angel's Egg as a reaction to his loss of religious faith, "life is meaningless (and any meaning we try to ascribe to it is a hollow falsehood)" is a spot-on interpretation of the film.

I might. Gets hard to find something to throw at 9 or 10.

Personally I feel it's better to list fewer than 10 entries on a top 10 list if I don't feel I've seen 10 good enough works, rather than simply throwing in filler to get to an arbitrary number.

Any details yet on the writer/director/etc?

It's going to take a lot to win my faith back after the massive piece of shit season 2 was.

If Mika isn't killed off in the first five minutes then forget the whole thing

Details on the third season are still scarce, beyond the core staff (Shiotani as director, Urobuchi as original story concept, Amano as original character designs) that have been credited for all Psycho-Pass works.

Wasn't the Madoka spinoff also supposed to come out this summer? Does that have a date yet?

There's no concrete information about the adaptation of the gacha game yet. Shaft has seen a massive exodus of staff in recent years, and I doubt the studio is in a state to make a show at this point. That'll probably delay the planned anime for a while, if not indefinitely.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I feel it's better to list fewer than 10 entries on a top 10 list if I don't feel I've seen 10 good enough works, rather than simply throwing in filler to get to an arbitrary number.

Were it just on merit I'd probably do just that but since they're used by some people as recommendations for the year I find myself making a complete list and giving this or that a highlight it might not normally get.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Magical Sempai 7

Didn't think I'd like the new cast members but their personalities allow for the humor to bounce off one another better. This ep wasn't bad (in spite of the usual crude jokes) and I think this was the first time the characters actually felt like characters. The last skit was nice and left me feeling maybe it'll end well after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.