• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens 4

Dayum, when that Samurai isn't fucking around he does not fuck around. Er, assuming that hitting explosives like baseballs with his sword sheath counts as "not fucking around". The badassery is delicious either way.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Beatless 04

Huh, I don't have anything bad to say about this episode? The technology in this is pretty interesting except analog hacks, that is a dumb as hell but it wasn't even mentioned this episode. The way they used that special material that refracts light to turn invisible and all the preparations to still be able to see and communicate was pretty cool, both conceptually and visually. I'm actually looking forward to next week.

Also, reverse Kabe-don and that robot is like the ultimate form of MetroidPrimeRib - stepped to death. Kinda.
YjKBHSg.jpg
IbX5sn9.jpg
bVzwSwa.jpg

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Inuyashiki upset me the same way The Laughing Salesman did where its morals are so smugly bankrupt that it just ends up making me mad.

I guess the people who saw something by the Gantz guy and still decided to watch it want that.

What was wrong with Inuyashiki's morals? I haven't watched the anime but having read the manga it was a pretty simple fight between an obvious Good-Hero and another obvious Villain-Evil. I don't remember anything questionable or more complex than that. Unless that was exactly your problem with it.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hakumei to Mikochi 4

That was one scary-ass owl.
BUT IT WAS A GOOD OWL!!!

Mikochi and Konju bonding over their respective talents was also nice. Konju's a sweetheart really, but she does always have that air of superiority that makes it oh-so-satisfying to put her in her place every now and then (and...she makes it so easy...) The sheer awe when she found out Mikochi was responsible for the deliciousness... I just love this show sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with Inuyashiki's morals? I haven't watched the anime but having read the manga it was a pretty simple fight between an obvious Good-Hero and another obvious Villain-Evil. I don't remember anything questionable or more complex than that. Unless that was exactly your problem with it.

i did not finish inuyashiki like i did laughing salesman, but the show is just really poorly edited/directed where it will switch from random mass murder to characters that arent important to the old man who only has characteristics brought up when its convenient for explanation and the writing is about as bad as i would expect from the guy who did Gantz. Its ultraviolence without any message and very little flair, where the hero is given the tools to only get the right people who deserve it and to balance that out the villain has to be as wanton as possible for little reason, and thats not how serial killers work either.

its kinda the same issue i have with the punisher but the punisher is 200x fucking worse

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
After the Rain 04
Wow, that co-worker is awful. Show continues to be really good.

Hakata tonkotsu ramens 04
Probably the best episode so far. Nice wrap up to this introduction arc. I guess it will now transition into going after other hitman which should be interesting.

Scavenger

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Big West ain't having none of that Harmony Gold shit anymore.

December 2017:
Laurentくん said:

Last week:
Laurentくん said:

Translated:
Laurentくん said:
#Macrossgate / #HarmonyGold has just requested additional time to submit new "evidence" to #EUIPO. They probably did not expect #BigWest to provide such a big file (qualitative and quantitative) to the European office. #Macross #Robotech

Just fucking die already Harmony Gold
CBqCZjr.gif

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Garo: Vanishing Line - Episode 16

Swear to god at this point my favorite character of the Makai 3 is just whoever most recently had an episode focused on them. This episode was really good. I'm glad they can still work in self-contained stories like this into the second half which I thought would be just El Dorado focused. And it was cool to see more of Sword's past. His sister looks a lot like Sophie.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Toji no Miko 5

It seems the Elite Guard is compromised as well. Not surprising, but it helps to get a clear line on who knows what on the enemy camp. Kaoru got some nice development. Yomi's got a creepy power, but she really needs a bodyguard.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck him, since I have control over the AOTY 17 Google Doc tally I've decided to add that piece of information to Recovery of an MMO Junkie's entry/tally.

Oct 25, 2017
That makes me incredibly sad.

Oddly enough, that's the first living creator of something I like a lot that openly hates me. At least it's not the original creator.

Oct 25, 2017
Yaginuma is an old-school animator who worked on a lot of big projects, such as Akira, Gosenzosama Banbanzai, and Wings of Honneamise. He has a lot of connections with prominent animators - his episode of Yama no Susume S2 featured a number of notable guest animators.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to hear about Recovery of an MMO Junkie's director. I didn't care for the show much but I know it was well liked by a lot of people, not just here. There's always the manga, sure, but it's got to be hard on fans who've already watched the show and on the people who worked on it that aren't Nazi-sympathizing scumbags.

Dagashi Kashi 1-12
Do you ever watch a show and you know that if you were to empirically measure it's worth it wouldn't stand up well to scrutiny? Technically speaking, I can't really say much positive about Dagashi Kashi. It's quite cheap looking, the length of episode that they chose kind of works against the manga's formatting, the humor feels too dry for its own good most of the time, the references both to anime and western media often feels incredibly dated and forced, and it can feel like its advertising for dagashi products breaks up the flow of the scenes a bit too much.

And yet...

Okay, I really enjoyed Dagashi Kashi despite all that, but I can't exactly quantify why. My best guess is that it's a couple of things that overcame all those shortcomings, mainly that, as a history buff, I tend to like shows where they teach you practically useless facts and history about insignificant things (it's crippling to want to digest pointless information like that) and the fact that the characters themselves have personalities I find appealing. And those two things managed to carry me through the entire series so maybe I'm just easy to please.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Really unfortunate, I didn't watch the particular anime but he's been on a bunch of stuff.

Anyway, I guess I'm back to Mononoke after a small break:

Mononoke 3-5

The storytelling is the show's strongest asset. The arc started as a who dunnit riddle but it evolved to something much greater eventually. The story was more interesting compared to the previous arc too. I think the much bigger cast helped making this arc a lot more compelling. Also, the episode with the Umizakou and the various fears was really good.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, that's really awful. MMO was a pretty fun show.

I liked some of his work, but man, he should not have a job after this.

Oct 25, 2017
Studio Wanpack Founder Yamada Koji, has died and thus closed the door afterward.

http://wanpack.main.jp/

– Death Notification –

"On January 2nd 2018, former studio representative Yamada Koji passed away.

Accompanying this news, on February 28th 2018, studio Wanpack will dissolve.

We humbly thank you for your 24 years of support."

They also animated in the past shows like these:

Accel World
Cowboy Bebop
Code Geass
Death Note
Fairy Tail
Fate/Apocrypha
Gintama
Kore wa Zombie desu ka
Girls Und Panzer
Infinite Stratos
Pokemon

RIP. :(

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 3 episodes of Franxx last night. Not really feeling it, though it isn't offensively bad or anything.

Just another show where the generic, personality-free MC who's a failure suddenly has girls fall in love with him as he becomes this "chosen one" who can do stuff others can't (In this case, safely pilot a Franxx with Zero Two)

I'll probably watch the entire thing because a) I hate myself and b) I'm holding out hope for some crazy Gainax style over the top action

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam Build Divers Prologue
download.png

Thought this was a fine, but not amazing start. Appreciated the return to a focus on tactics, if nothing else. Don't feel the new VR aspect of it really sold itself well. One thing that worries me is if Gunpla can't actually be damaged anymore because it's all VR. Does that mean Builders don't have much of a point anymore?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
download.png

Thought this was a fine, but not amazing start. Appreciated the return to a focus on tactics, if nothing else. Don't feel the new VR aspect of it really sold itself well. One thing that worries me is if Gunpla can't actually be damaged anymore because it's all VR. Does that mean Builders don't have much of a point anymore?
building as a way to upgrade the mechs was pretty much always more interesting than the concept of constantly repairing mechs anyways

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

download.png

I think Gunpla will be a toys to life thing in the series. They still have to sell those kits, after all

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame. MMO Junkie is one of the those rare anime centered around adults. Got to dump the show then. I wonder if Funi will release the the blu-rays.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame. MMO Junkie is one of the those rare anime centered around adults. Got to dump the show then. I wonder if Funi will release the the blu-rays.
??? The show is the hard work of numerous animators, voice actors and other staff members plus the original author. There is absolutely nothing of the director's personal beliefs shining through this work. Why should this have an effect on the show?

Oct 25, 2017
??? The show is the hard work of numerous animators, voice actors and other staff members plus the original author. There is absolutely nothing of the director's personal beliefs shining through this work. Why should this have an effect on the show?

some of those tweets are from before the show even started, so if people knew and still gave him the project then

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
why dump the junkie show because the director is nazi? its an adaptation and the sequel or something might not directed by him again

and I don't think anime director got royalty from show profit after his initial wage

Oct 25, 2017
some of those tweets are from before the show even started, so if people knew and still gave him the project then

If Koichi Sugiyama wasn't dumped from Dragon Quest for being a war crimes denier and Tadashi Hiramatsu hasn't been kicked out of the anime industry for being a hardcore nationalist (see his bizarre Animator Expo short), I doubt the industry is going to shun Yaginuma for being an anti-Semite as long as he doesn't personally upset the people he works with as Yamakan or Takashi Imanishi did.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
If Koichi Sugiyama wasn't dumped from Dragon Quest for being a war crimes denier and Tadashi Hiramatsu hasn't been kicked out of the anime industry for being a hardcore nationalist (see his bizarre Animator Expo short), I doubt the industry is going to shun Yaginuma for being an anti-Semite as long as he doesn't personally upset the people he works with as Yamakan or Takashi Imanishi did.
Whats the story behind Imanishi? Never heard about this before.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the story behind Imanishi? Never heard about this before.
I tried looking for it for you. Only thing I could find

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/11/29/anime-craft-weekly-21-dude-wheres-my-gundam/

The answer we got was rather unexpected; after wondering if the rumors had popped up already, our industry pal explained that Imanishi had appeared terribly drunk on a prescreen event that was attended by Bandai executives and the press, which definitely wasn't the brightest idea of his career. And hopefully not the last idea of his career since he won't be coming back to Sunrise DID as a CG director in general either. Chances are that he'll be blacklisted for life on anything Bandai have decisive power over.

Status
Not open for further replies.