• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Violet Evergarden ep.2
The visuals and music are great, but the content so far? Well..... They can only go for a tragic ending here. Let's just hope the journey is worth it...

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
After the Rain 1
Beginning of the episode
Shes thirsty. And I don't mean that in the way y'all think that means, I mean she's been at school at day yawning. you sick fucks. How dare you think of her that way she's pure unlike yo—
3fWGCN5.jpg

After the episode
Damn girl, you thirsty as fuck. And I don't mean that she needs H2O. She wants him. She needs him. All it's missing is the hentai lovey-dovey heart eyes.
Tachibana looks like Komi-san, I recognized that come hither look anywhere. Also Kondo got the Pierce Brosnan look, but none of the charm.

After the Rain 2
Tachibana's coworkers are so thirsty. That hand motion insunated some dirty thoughts in my head.
Deia Pluie sounds like a UniQlo subsidiary. Man I forget that love and like are the exact same word in Japanese.
Overall I haven't enjoyed a romance anime in like... forever. I need moar.

On an unrelated note, SFV is good.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Mirai Nikki ep 26

I didn't take the show super seriously most of the way through, but I gotta hand it to them, the last bunch of episodes sucked me in and it ended on a pretty strong note. Actually surprised by how tightly it wound up.

One thing will always be funny tho

Yukiteru's crush before Yuno looks 100% like his mom
1w3M9oD.jpg

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
yeah... I tried working a legit yandere into a story I am working on (I kind of like the trope)... and tried to make her likable and like someone would actually want around.

Ultimately ended up with someone who is madly in love with a character, and will kill anyone that threatens or hurts the person they love, but is also actively just trying to make them happy despite the fact that they are in a relationship with someone else (who they won't kill because they know it would make that other character unhappy). They have been working on being less kill happy.

She is more of a tsun-yan-dere than legit yandere.

A yandare you say "Yes" to is just a super-devoted significant other who's great at planning and destroying the competition.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Love is like after the rain rp.2
Man, that ED is excellent. Although the premise may be a bit sketchy, tge show really sucks you into Tachibana's world. So far, it is no doubt an innocent crush story..

Oct 27, 2017
Also, crunchyroll had none of the on screen text translated in Mirai Nikki which is annoying since they look at their phones multiple times per episode. Luckily the text is crisp so google photo translate could pick it up for the most part. Definitely getting fansubs next time around.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Violet Evergarden 02

More like violent Evergarden am I right ohoho sometimes my brilliant wordplay amazes even myself.

I think it was pretty obvious to everybody from the first episode that Gilbert had died. The question now is, why is Hodgins lying about it? The only thing I can imagine right now is that he's hoping Violet can eventually develop emotional maturity enough to withstand the truth, and that working as a ghostwriter will aid that development. If so, the pace had better pick up soon if she's going to get to that point by the end of the season.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm currently watching the second episode of Violet Evergarden, but I had to pause. After Devilman Crybaby, which was the first non-shonen anime in years that actually made me feel something, this feels so lifeless and generic. Everything about this kind of show is just so safe, so predictable, so uninteresting. We really need more shows like Devilman, and less shows like this. Jesus.

Edit: For clarification, most shonen anime is guilty of most of what I said. But then you have One Piece and HxH, so yeah.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
A Place Further than the Universe 03
All I could think about was how much this feels like Love Live. From the comedic sensibility and timing to just the tone itself. Went to look it up afterwards and sure enough it's the same writer. It does not really work for me that well, but at least this feels like the early goofball Love Live stuff more than anything else.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
DARLING in the FRANXX seemed promising up until they did the whole old man sexually assaulting a young woman gag. I thought anime was over that, but guess not entirely.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm, I suppose trading one classic (dragon ball) for another (Major) is a fair trade

I look forward to april 7th even if I have read some of the manga and wasn't super impressed. It was improving when I left off, but I still question choices made with Goro's daughter :/
They show her in nothing but her underwear a few times :/
ideally those choices will just not be in the anime because they aren't important at all to the story or character.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Violet Evergarden 02

More like violent Evergarden am I right ohoho sometimes my brilliant wordplay amazes even myself.

I think it was pretty obvious to everybody from the first episode that Gilbert had died. The question now is, why is Hodgins lying about it? The only thing I can imagine right now is that he's hoping Violet can eventually develop emotional maturity enough to withstand the truth, and that working as a ghostwriter will aid that development. If so, the pace had better pick up soon if she's going to get to that point by the end of the season.
I'm under the impression that since Violet is utterly devoted to Gilbert, breaking the news to her in her current state would lead to her losing the will to live since Gilbert gave her purpose in life. Hodgins is trying to ease her into a new life where she can find her own purpose in life and develop her own will to live before he tells her.

I can imagine that she's going to find out one way or the other leading to a big dramatic moment.

jimjam

Jan 16, 2018
USA
Junji Ito Collection Episode 2

Why wasn't this the first episode? What the hell?
Just got done watching, and these were my thoughts exactly. I like Souichi and the stories featuring him, but he's definitely comedy relief. Not something you want as the first episode in a horror anthology.
I was happy with this ep, however.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend an anime series/movie/OVA that is similar to Angel's Egg? Wolf's Rain has a similar vibe but I can't think of any others.
There's nothing that's too similar to Angel's Egg, but there are a few recommendations I can make.
Cat Soup
catsoup.jpg

If you like psychological anime this is a must watch. It's a short film but an absolute classic. It follows the story of two cat siblings and it's nuts. Kind of hard to explain what it is and where it goes, but it's great.

Belladonna of Sadness
BD_PRESS_KIT__1.326_.1-thumb-1280x929-56967_-1482316807-726x388.jpeg

An early 70's psychological anime film. Technically part of a trilogy, it's chocked full of sex and violence and psychedelia. A wonderful watch, although beware it's an intense film. Don't watch it unless you're mentally prepared for some shit.

Night on the Galactic Railroad
nightonthegalactic04.jpg

Probably the most thematically similar to Angel's Egg, it's based off a famous Miyazawa short story. It's a film about friendship, love, death, sacrifice, and religion. Very slow and melancholic, it is a hugely underappreciated film in the history of anime.

There's a few more, and I'm sure I've missed some, but that's a good start for the psychological sort of examination of humanity that Angel's Egg has.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so I just watched Little Witch Academia.
Should I watch the sequel movie, or should I just jump into the TV series?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just stop there. The OVA and TV series are separate timelines, so it doesn't matter. Watch whichever you'd prefer to.
Ah, then I guess I will move onto the TV series.
watched the original because A. I felt like i should and B. since it was Trigger I wanted to see if there was even anything for me to care about because their work is typically not good for my tastes.

I enjoyed the ova well enough but would have liked to have gotten to know the characters a lot better, so ideally the tv series has more of that.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Mary and the Witch's Flower

I'm far from being the world's biggest Yonebayashi fan and while he's yet to make a bad film per se, this was his weakest yet IMO. I've never read the original book so I don't know how much can be laid at its feet, but the film does very little to explore the interesting elements of the magical setting. There's a fair bit of discussion of spells and magical concepts but in practice most of the magic we see comes from someone crushing a magical flower or putting their hand on a given page in the extra special spellbook, with the effect of the spell then occurring more or less automatically. There is a lot going on at the magic school when we're introduced to it, but the plot whisks Mary away quickly and while she returns to the school twice, I don't think she meets any of its inhabitants other than the two villains and the broomstick-keeper on either occasion. The supporting characters who actually appear in more than just background shots are flat and the male [lead? quasi-love interest? idk] was entirely perfunctory. As such, Mary's arc felt pretty artificial because there wasn't really anyone who she had a meaningful connection to. The plot feels like a mix of Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky; whether or not this was inevitable due to the source material, it feels played up in the film, and the selection of source material didn't take place in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it doesn't really measure up.

That said, it's a very pretty film to watch and the prologue was pretty cool so it has that going for it, I guess. I didn't notice and/or don't remember enough about the music to comment on that. I wanted to like this more given that it's Ponoc's first film and I still wish them the best, but this one feels like a misfire to me.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did my job and watched 2 episodes of pop team epic :3

Gonna jump back into anime after taking a break from it for like a year, well, besides watching My Hero Academia when it was newish.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Violet Evergarden is great. This and A Place Farther than the Universe are my top two shows this season.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
*Fansub/Netflix comparison*

Ohh, so that's what they were going for there.

Fucks sake Nexflix...

I don't even think that Violent Evergarden as end result is something visually outstanding.

Agree. Can't say I even like the character design. Fidelity is great but they just don't look very appealing to me overall and the characters feel so damn clean and perfect, which feels unsuited for Violet in particular, who's some kind of war orphan but would be hired as a model on the spot.

Hell, felt weird to see our delivery boy being dismissed by the ladies with his 'free'ish looks, too.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey now, the anime adaptation of Osmosis Jones could be a tour de force!

Christ, like four people probably remember that terrible movie/show.

The premise could be interesting, but the trailer's production doesn't really impress me. Although it's still seven months away, so hopefully the show itself will end up a pleasant surprise.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's Netflix's fault that the sub company they hired employed a translator that had trouble with that translation.

If only the person that made that pic went through the actual trouble of contacting Netflix instead.
Its not the first time Netflix subs have had problems and it's odd that fansubbers that do this stuff for free generally do better than a paid service.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys watch Violet Evergarden with subs on Netflix? I watch it in my awesome Italian dub, just like I did for Devilman Crybaby. Glorious Netflix offering these new shows already dubbed.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's Netflix's fault that the sub company they hired employed a translator that had trouble with that translation.

If only the person that made that pic went through the actual trouble of contacting Netflix instead.
It's not their job. Who are they supposed to contact? Netflix never even publicly advertises their anime stuff. What simulcast company bothers to fix subs? It costs money and they need to go back and get approval for any changes. Since they are also doing a simuldub it's even more ??? when the subtitles are terrible or illogical, and honestly they are bad the whole way through the episode. Is someone supposed to just reach out to Netflix and let them know the entire episode is poorly translated?

Status
Not open for further replies.