• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem's such an over the top ability that aliens from space seems totally plausible. Between Anthem, Bamboo Man's powers being low level DBZ shit, and Yuri being a robot, this show as never low-key IMO.

I think I'd throw Yuri in with the Overdrive business as these brief incredible moments in what's normally a fairly benign environment. Flashes of superheroic stuff that really isn't what the show is about. Bamboo Man (I'm irritated the design was wasted and not his actual look, I assumed his other identity was the mask) was wonderfully threatening since he was always incredibly potentially disruptive since his powers were always on instead of one of the aforementioned flashes but he was woefully underutilized and I think the ramp up toward the end needed more than just his presence and the requisite monster of the week, especially in a show where the latter was mostly forgettable in light of the more "realistic" crime stuff and associated nonsense like the tv show ep.

Oct 25, 2017
Double Decker 12-13 FIN

Show ended well enough and with a tone in-line with the rest of the show. I'd been concerned that it totally dropped the ball but ep 11 seems like the outlier. That's not to say the show was without faults because it had some glaring ones:
  • The show often struggled with its own foreshadowing and not handling it well enough to justify the twists and turns in the back half.
  • Episode 11 was ridiculously compressed and while I don't think this really feels like a 2 cour series rewritten as one there was definitely trouble balancing the character-focused episodes with those of the main Anthem plotline.
  • Kirill's origin is incredibly anime and it detracts from the more low-key nature of the show (Overdrives excepted.) Could've just been another country and would have been equally effective.
Glad I watched it though as I had a ton of fun with it even if it did misstep toward the end. Thanks again for the rec, HosannaExcelsis

Glad you enjoyed it overall despite its fumbles! I agree with you that I don't think this was a 2-cour series compressed (it would have needed to have been going faster from the start for that to be likely) so much as that it's tricky to get the pacing of an ongoing plotline just right.

3 more episodes in the spring! They look to be goofy episodic stuff from the titles, so they should be fun!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd throw Yuri in with the Overdrive business as these brief incredible moments in what's normally a fairly benign environment. Flashes of superheroic stuff that really isn't what the show is about. Bamboo Man (I'm irritated the design was wasted and not his actual look, I assumed his other identity was the mask) was wonderfully threatening since he was always incredibly potentially disruptive since his powers were always on instead of one of the aforementioned flashes but he was woefully underutilized and I think the ramp up toward the end needed more than just his presence and the requisite monster of the week, especially in a show where the latter was mostly forgettable in light of the more "realistic" crime stuff and associated nonsense like the tv show ep.

The fact that Bamboo Man and Anthem were so extraordinary actually makes aliens more plausible, not less. Where'd all this impossible technology come from? If its another country then it'd be more widespread, but having an alien culture use ours as a petri dish? It's exactly the kind of weirdness that makes sense. And it's not like we're too far behind either, as Yuri and Apple's usual inventions are well beyond what humanity is capable of.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Rinshi!! Ekodachan 01
Nice that they subbed the interview (though I mostly skipped over it). Moves at a very fast rate which keeps things amusing. Will be interested to see the different approaches to it each week.

Run with the Wind 12
Looked like Kakeru was putting on a Hijikata amount of mayo on his meal.

Can't be a sports anime w/o a training camp. Having had Kakeru accept his teammates and their skill levels in the first cour, it seems we will now turn to some of the same issues he faced with his high school team. Good to see some more team strategy to the running in the opening scene though I didn't fully understand it.

Dororo 01
Was very into this premiere. Some neat shots in the opening (like the character diving in through the background like it was water).

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Watashi ni Tenshi

Ah, so that's where lolicon show that's mandated for every season is.

Dororo - 01

Dunno if I posted about this one that was damn good first episode and props to not stopping the show to explain what happened and let me put 2 and 2 together.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, this whole time I was thinking The Promised Neverland was Thursday but its tomorrow! HYPE

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan Episode 1:

Well, this is a thing that exists, pretty much a stream of consciousness program and I can see why most of it was the interview.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 1

Well, there's all sorts of questionable shit in this show so far and it's only an episode in. There's this troubling trend in isekai shows I've noticed recently where the protagonist travels to the usual quasi-medieval fantasy videogamey world that has a thriving slaving economy and manages to snag himself a slave or two, which coincidentally always happen to be young girls, and I guess this is supposed to be a good thing since he treats them well or whatever. I gotta say I care not for this trend at all, to say the least. Where the hell did this trend get started? Where are all these MMOs with deep slave purchasing systems that they seem to keep taking inspiration from?

The shield's skill tree looks okay, I guess.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Bamboo Man and Anthem were so extraordinary actually makes aliens more plausible, not less. Where'd all this impossible technology come from? If its another country then it'd be more widespread, but having an alien culture use ours as a petri dish? It's exactly the kind of weirdness that makes sense. And it's not like we're too far behind either, as Yuri and Apple's usual inventions are well beyond what humanity is capable of.

We'll just have to disagree here since if Lisvalletta tech isn't far behind alien tech, it's also quite plausible other nations would be around Lisvalletta, whether it be ahead or behind. I think the more elegant solution would have been to somehow link Lisvalletta's incredible advances to the alien culture rather than just running parallel which would have been more narratively satisfying. Maybe the show did do this and I just missed it.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Dororo 01

This is super cool, but a lot will depend on how well the production holds up over the course of 2 cours.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 1

Well, there's all sorts of questionable shit in this show so far and it's only an episode in. There's this troubling trend in isekai shows I've noticed recently where the protagonist travels to the usual quasi-medieval fantasy videogamey world that has a thriving slaving economy and manages to snag himself a slave or two, which coincidentally always happen to be young girls, and I guess this is supposed to be a good thing since he treats them well or whatever. I gotta say I care not for this trend at all, to say the least. Where the hell did this trend get started? Where are all these MMOs with deep slave purchasing systems that they seem to keep taking inspiration from?

surely there must be an isekai where the first thing that happens is the protag gets enslaved himself and then he starts a slave uprising or some shit

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
You know, there really should be an anime about Mocha (Is the Order A Rabbit) just hugging/destroying girls for 24 minutes straight. I'd watch it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
An Angel Flew Down to Me

I think I made a mistake just blindly watching this…

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
An Angel Flew Down to Me

I think I made a mistake just blindly watching this…
u54nWv0.png

Oct 27, 2017
surely there must be an isekai where the first thing that happens is the protag gets enslaved himself and then he starts a slave uprising or some shit
Eh that'd mean that the power fantasy aspect of it wouldn't be there. Even in Re Zero while Subaru gets tortured he still has his power fulfillment moment ( I like Re Zero btw)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Eh that'd mean that the power fantasy aspect of it wouldn't be there. Even in Re Zero while Subaru gets tortured he still has his power fulfillment moment ( I like Re Zero btw)

but starting the slave uprising can still be a power fantasy of how much more advanced and awesome protag is because of their superior future moral values.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Run With The Wind 12- This show only gets better.
Love the new OP and how beautiful this episode was.
Most episodes in this show look better than entire series.
Don't sleep on this one. No filler.
Also the twins and Masu are my favorite now.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 1

It's almost like a lot of Isekai authors have problems with women.

I've peaked at a number of manga adaptations and a lot of them include the slave stuff. It's weird.

There's also a lot of them where the MC is like "i've got a unique power in this world? time to get a harem" even outside the slave stuff.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'ts time for an Isekai where the protagonist is a woman.
Yuri harem ensues. I don't even know if this is good or bad.
I don't understand, do you want the version of the protagonist of the real world to be a woman, the version in the fantasy world or both?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I don't understand, do you want the version of the protagonist of the real world to be a woman, the version in the fantasy world or both?
Both, in an analogous way that in usual Isekai the protagonist is a man in both worlds. Not that I'm against the protagonist changing gender as it goes to the other world but it was not my initial idea.
EDIT: I know Escaflowne exists but getting new stuff would be nice? Does Inuyasha count as Isekai? Is Kagome really the protagonist? I'd still would like something new.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I remember two or three female led isekai...

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Fushigi yugi?

Also now thinking about Digimon S1 was group isekai as fuck

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Both, in an analogous way that in usual Isekai the protagonist is a man in both worlds. Not that I'm against the protagonist changing gender as it goes to the other world but it was not my initial idea.
EDIT: I know Escaflowne exists but getting new stuff would be nice? Does Inuyasha count as Isekai? Is Kagome really the protagonist? I'd still would like something new.
Hmm, for new female isekai protags, Otome Flag Destruction and Kumo had animes announced, didn't they.
Flag Destruction is a romcom series, and part of a sub-section of isekai stories where the main character is reincarnated as the rich, rival girl in a dating sim/shoujo manga.
Kumo has the main character be reborn as the weakest of spider monsters in the bottom of the largest dungeon as she fights her way out and discovers why she(and her classmates) reincarnated in this fantasy world.

I remember liking both series.
Though, mostly just the original first two books of Flag Destruction.
And the Kumo trailer had the extremely bad CGI monsters, so I don't have tons of hope for it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall any anime. Definitely some e novels and a manga though

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wataten! Episode 1

Little girls are holy terrors. Especially Hinata, that spawn of Satan.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Rising of the Shield Hero - Episode 1P

Didn't think I'd care much for this, but I actually like the protagonist. A bit naive, but has a good head on his shoulders. The world itself doesn't look like anything special; hopefully that changes.

I get how the big moment in this episode can be problematic in a lot of ways, but I could gloss over that since it was apparent there was gonna be a betrayal in some form, so the form it took wasn't that essential. What I didn't like, though, was the "slave" conceit. Man did that bring things down. Hopefully it works, in the end, but I'm not sure I can just gloss over it when it's obvious it's going to be important.

I liked the ostracized Shield Hero and his change of demeanor, forcing him to go solo. More of that would have been nice.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of manga and light novel stuff with purely female protagonists. Not many of them seem to be getting anime adaptations, though.

Off the top of my head (and what I'm following right now, actually) there's "In Another World, I'm Called: the Black Healer" which is RIFE with shoujo tropes and tons of politicking, and "Ascendance of a Bookworm", which takes place in a much lower-fantasy (but still fantasy) world and eschews much of the usual power fantasy stuff in exchange for a protagonist who just does whatever she can to get her hands on some books (which are incredibly, INCREDIBLY expensive in the world she's reborn in).

And yes, the spider in "I'm a spider, so what?" is a lady spider. Not that it's really relevant with how the story plays out, but yeah.

Funny how it's pretty much always the female-led isekais that grab my attention. Log Horizon's probably the only exception in that regard thus far. If only they could get top billing...

Status
Not open for further replies.