• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all mind if I ask a stupid question? I've never been the most avid anime watcher and as such I never paid much attention to announcements before. So is the amount of announcements being made right now normal? Just feels like a never ending train of announcements.
there is some sort of con right now, so its kinda like E3

yeah its usually like that

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome but more than I expected. I liked the designs of the anime but damn, looks good overall.

Do y'all mind if I ask a stupid question? I've never been the most avid anime watcher and as such I never paid much attention to announcements before. So is the amount of announcements being made right now normal? Just feels like a never ending train of announcements.

AnimeJapan is an event going on from 21-24 of this month. Many announcements come from there every year.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
So she's Haruo's mom from Hi Score Girl.
Maybe Sei's mom from Gundam Build Fighters is a more apt comparison. I think I remember Inko encouraging him when meeting China Kousaka, there was some fanservice (and lots of fan art) but there was never any objectionable behaviour.
That there is a plastic kit for Loheng-rinko that is definitely fanservicey may be a different matter.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Hey there. Here for some recommendations if you've got 'em. Thanks as always. I'm looking for two sorts of shows right now:

Have there ever been any decent Indiana Jones-y anime that are about exploring ruins, discovering hidden temples and lost civilizations, solving riddles, that sorta thing? Lupin III gets into that now and again which is the closest anime analog I can think of. It doesn't need to have that early 20th century vibe -- it could be a sci-fi planet exploration show for all I care. Preferably older shows though.

This one is a bit more difficult to articulate so bear with me. I'm looking for an anime with a good sense of adventure and freedom, like the feeling of a cool breeze in summer that rustles the trees and makes you feel a little lighter. If you can somehow distill that feeling into an anime recommendation that would be awesome. Porco Rosso is the closest thing I can think of for what I'm looking for. But obviously something that isn't Ghibli.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Hey there. Here for some recommendations if you've got 'em. Thanks as always. I'm looking for two sorts of shows right now:

Have there ever been any decent Indiana Jones-y anime that are about exploring ruins, discovering hidden temples and lost civilizations, solving riddles, that sorta thing? Lupin III gets into that now and again which is the closest anime analog I can think of. It doesn't need to have that early 20th century vibe -- it could be a sci-fi planet exploration show for all I care. Preferably older shows though.

This one is a bit more difficult to articulate so bear with me. I'm looking for an anime with a good sense of adventure and freedom, like the feeling of a cool breeze in summer that rustles the trees and makes you feel a little lighter. If you can somehow distill that feeling into an anime recommendation that would be awesome. Porco Rosso is the closest thing I can think of for what I'm looking for. But obviously something that isn't Ghibli.
*clears throat*

One Piece

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
*clears throat*

One Piece
YAGpXPd.png

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ah okay that explains why so many announcements have been made recently.
AnimeJapan is an event going on from 21-24 of this month. Many announcements come from there every year.
You know, I kind of miss waiting for all the waves of several off-screen recordings coming from ol' TAF; all that expectation after the first on-site rumours before getting the footage itself, the anticipation of asking people there to at least take pictures of whatever was being shown in the booths, even the drama between Aniplex Inc., & Co. versus the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government caused by Mr. Ishihara's that offspring a competing event like ANIME CONTENTS EXPO (ACE) was interesting on its own way!

MASTER KEATON surely could fit the bill.

You can also try with the usual, straight-up "homage" of Indiana Jones conceived by the Pagot Bros., that is Montana Jones.

My nostalgia is the one repping this last show, please don't mind me! :-P

man JC Staff is such a shit studio nowadays
Hey, a studio's veteran like Yoshiki Yamanaka is stylin' right now. :-D

Last edited:

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Mirai

Hosoda really wanted the kid to like his sister huh.

Jokes apart, the movie's themes are more serious than it may seem. Sibilings can grow apart (maybe even irreparably) simply because they perceive their parents are being nicer to their brother/sister than them. There's of course more than that here in regard to 'family' which is where the movie's emotional points peaked but what makes it good is that it delivers these moments not through some kind of drama or tragedy but simple companionship and empathy. There's some parts of the film that feel a little off in contrast to the later half of the film but it isn't exactly detrimental to my experience overall.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The full version of Tokkou Dance (Zombieland Saga) is out on CD and oh my god it's so much better than I even expected. Such a great feel good song. So many great parts that were simply cut out of the episode. I'm in love with this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgr6UQQ_ZTU

this youtube comment:

TJW5953 weeks ago
If/when actual concerts happen this will probably be that one song that everyone in the crowd goes wild on since theres parts where everyone can yell during the chorus.

EXACTLY what I thought lol. Can't wait for a full live performance, if that ever happens

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 11

Goddamn that was some good shit, Ramen chapter and the first part of fireworks were very well done, and the voice acting was on point again.

Hype level for next week at 11/10

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 special 2

Mishima getting everyones support and shouting and launching that sequence was the best. Mishima for best persona.

Didnt like the levanza part, should have kept them separate.

Alright anime take on it, but I think the plot and bringing all of this to the real world was a bit too unrealistic and all. Maybe if it had been presented as that way from the start, P3, midnight hour coffins and travel to real world locations to face bosses etc, it would work, but doing it all at the 11th hour was just way too much and too late.

Guess Ill get full understanding if I play the game. Had hoped this would be a good substitute like other game animes.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Next week's Kaguya is gonna be epic. I wasn't a big fan of the ramen chapter in the manga but it was much more enjoyable in anime format.

Hayasaka deserves more consideration, damnit!

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya: Love is War 11

As always, being Hayasaka is suffering.

I guess being Kaguya is suffering too.

Suffering all around this episode! (unless you're a Fujiwara sister)

Oct 25, 2017
Sword Art Online Alicization Episode 23

I hope this means Kirito can wield Eugeo someday, but still, why would you ever write the story like this. Like Eugeo cant be dead can he? :(

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 II 11
I've made my grievances with the way the source material played out this conflict in the last episode, but despite many of those criticisms still being present, there were two factors here that basically rendered those complaints moot: Mob and his deadpan delivery is back making up for the less interesting characters that carried last week's episode (though Ritsu, Sho, and Teru all managed to shine here in a way that reminded me of why they were so fun in the latter half of season one), and my god... I can't even fathom how long it took them to make this episode alone! There have been moments in this season, whether it be the fight against the Dragger or inside Matsuo's imaginary world, where the animation has been impressive, but nothing this season has been quite like this. Almost the entire episode is an animation spectacle on a scale I don't even think the last season quite reached, all held together by some frenetic but entirely "readable" editing and direction. Considering there's two episodes left, I can't imagine they'll be able to top what they did here with those two, but it's nice to see Bones remind you why they're still the premier action anime studio. An excellent showcase of their potential, wonderfully side-stepping what could have been an underwhelming pair of fights if just focused on the narrative content alone.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind Vento Aureo 23
Much like the fight against Little Feet, this fight unfortunately kind of runs out of steam before the end of the episode. I think everything up through the explosion in the restaurant was fairly well put together, if hilarious that just because sometimes the rest of the crew were five feet away they didn't hear Giorno get attacked or Narancia screaming at the top of his lungs (though this happens a lot in JoJo in general, it's just funny when it's so blatant). The back-and-forth tag-team tactics made for a particularly interesting challenge, as both teams try to outwit each other using their Stand's abilities in tandem, something we haven't seen too much of lately (well, apart from the excellent train fight with Prosciutto and Pesci versus Bucciarati and Mista). That said, the end of the episode drags out the conclusion way too long, and it looked terrible to boot (one color cardboard-cutouts for extras, stiff animation outside of Narancia pulling the trigger). This really should have been about half an episode long if that for the content that was left in this fight to have the right sense of pace, but at least the first part was a fairly enjoyable mind game. I've heard rumblings about Notorious B.I.G. from manga fans, so here's hoping next week turns out stronger than this two-part fight.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War 11
Despite my concern that four segments would be too much to handle in just one episode (I don't particularly remember the French arc benefiting from doing the same), these were thankfully distinct enough for it all to work well. It's also remarkable that unlike the previous episodes that have had segments that tried to take certain characters or plot details seriously in one way or another, I think this one actually worked in that regard. While they could have tried setting up the shopping trip a little earlier in the episode, I still think what happens and what it reveals about the parts of Shinomiya's life she's kept hidden from everyone except Hayasaka was effective in just the way it needed to be. Part of that is you've spent enough time with her throughout the series in various circumstances and settings that seeing this side of her revealed at last has more impact than when Ishigami (the up-to then joke character was suddenly thrust into an imposing "friendship" with Kaguya for the sake of maintaining the status quo). The angle is interesting, but because it was moved up in the air time, it feels like a really weird and unnatural expansion of his meager characterization up until that point. On the note of direction, I think there were a few touches here and there that helped make the most of the material (the ramen chapter was excellent in that regard), but it's clear that most of the effort is being saved for the finale. Still, as the penultimate teaser for that final episode, this turned out better than some other recent episodes, and that's more than I had hoped for.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Love is War - 11

The first part of Hayasaka was so good, at least she's still a leverage maid when comes around with Kaguya, and Fuijiwara keeps winning.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Come to think about it, they left out some imagery from that Ishigami/Kaguya study that gave you a hint of what Ishigami did that got people to hate him.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
SAO: Alicization 23

I feel like this season of SAO is always on the cusp of being something great but always falls short. Eugeo's last effort didn't really work for me and felt kind of awkward. Don't think he's coming back from this one though unfortunately. But of course it's time for Kirito to save the day.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The shopping trip was set up in the Kei Shirogane segment a couple episodes ago, unless I'm misunderstanding what exactly your issue with it is.

I think he means within the same episode. Or a little before hand. Kei and the shopping trip happened much closer to the current events now, while moving her chapter up in the anime stretched out the time between the set up and Kaguya having to cancel the trip.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can't actually think of a single anime that this is true for, every game adaption I have ever watched is a horrible substitute for actually playing the game.

some were still fun to watch as a recap despite that though.

Steins;Gate is a decent replacement.

A couple of the Tales of anime aren't bad for this.

Phoenix Wright is okayish, but the game is way better.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya-sama - 11

Always nice to have some fairly well executed heartfelt moments as pure comedy runs thin quickly. Even some melancholia towards the end there.

The ramen segment, while well enough done on its own, kinda hurt the structure of the episode for me. It just felt like a rather irrelevant interruption of the other more interesting plot lines and featured only Fujiwara from the known characters.

Also, I could do without the few fanservicey shots right at the beginning and Hayaka's part. Especially since the latter featured some much-appreciated characterization.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Love is War 11
I actually really liked this one. One of the better episodes so far. The Twitter ban got a laugh out of me.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I forgot but they didn't show ishigami give fujiwara some mints to deal with the garlic breath. Wasted opportunity tbh

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Steins;Gate is a decent replacement.

A couple of the Tales of anime aren't bad for this.

Phoenix Wright is okayish, but the game is way better.
Fair with the visual novel anime. But jrpg adaptions are almost always terrible replacements. The tales ones are decent recaps but cut so much stuff.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be excited for Re:Zero S2, but I read a lot of impressions saying the story in light novels gets awful after the first few arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.