• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I don't how it got into my head that Madhouse animated Mob Psycho 100.

Oct 25, 2017
Every relevant anime streaming service streaming the same show, what a time to be alive. Guess Aniplex is really banking on TPN being the next Shingeki.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Baba Yaga Pop: 1-2
ZHSqhQRl.jpg

Not exactly what I was expecting but still very welcome. It's much more of a mystery show in how the two episodes are constructed than I expected. It's also really ballsy to have the first episode be dedicated to a person who is almost completely detached from the main mystery. If only the first episode had aired I imagine this would be getting savaged everywhere as it doesn't even give much insight into Boogiepop other than laying down some general ideas and principles. I don't think the show did a great job of establishing the friendship between Takeda and Boogiepop as Boogiepop just seems to give some exposition instead of the two acting naturally. That seems to be a larger issue with the writing in the show in that it focuses more on exposition rather than delivering organic dialogue. A lot of this feels like a result from a fast, almost rushed, pacing to the material. I understand why Takeda is horny for a smug Shuten Douji-voiced version of his girlfriend but there's little to see why Boogiepop would be interested in him. I would have liked a full hour developing the relationship between them but no producer in his right mind would have been fine with that.
yZfP7yOl.jpg

The second episode actually delves into the mystery and it's messier than it should be. It's not the issue that the episode used non-chronological storytelling or that it had multiple POVs or even both. The problem is in how all of it was conveyed. There were little to no transition shots to denote when something was happening, leading to a jumble of events that don't really make sense until the end of the episode. It all makes sense when you go and rewatch it but the first time through had me scratching my head at a few things and some simple transition frames to denote what timeframe an event was occurring would have done wonders. The show also has a plethora of names with little character work behind them which makes keeping track of what's happening to what character a little difficult. Again it all makes sense in a rewatch but the execution isn't where I would like it to be.
zjnryGll.jpg

Speaking of visuals, I love the OP. I didn't like it on first glance but after watching the first episode and understanding Boogiepop a bit more, the OP definitely works for me now. It's super symbolic especially in a way the main show unfortunately isn't. The animation in the show is also animated in a peculiar way in that it looks like segments are done on 4s instead of the usual 3s. It makes segments look like inbetween frames are missing which can be jarring but gives the show a distinct atmosphere. The music is fucking outstanding. There's three or four tracks I was impressed with in just the first episode alone. That's definitely the highlight of the show from an audio-visual standpoint.
Gub9Lhkl.jpg

I hope we get some serious wirefu sakuga down the road. All in all, good first impressions. Not great but better in some ways than I expected.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop
Nice to see that they are keeping the structure from the original book, which was the most interesting thing about it imo. Not a fan of how the show looks though.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Boogiepop is a mystery series, full stop.
I was expecting much more of a psychological thriller but I was referring to how the story is told, the actual layout of the story. The show uses multiple viewpoints over an overlapping time frame to cover a single event, which is something I wasn't anticipating. That sort of storytelling technique is used almost exclusively in mystery novels and it's extremely rare to see that in an anime series (another series being Rokka).

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Now and Then, Here and There ep.4-6
I cannot remember the last time I got this progressively angy and uncomfortable watching a show. Fuck this king, his ideals, his methods and all of his people. Like seriously, fuck everything about it. From the rape impregation attempts of a little girl, to pillaging villages to steal women & children to everyone in that world. Shu is right these propke are all crazy and there is something seriously wrong with them.

I had planned to watch this for a while and as I had free friday decided to binge watch it and damn. That was darkest anime I have seen in a while. Really liked it though.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Spooky boogie #1

2qU5X3t.jpg

This was kinda weird. The first episode sets up a mystery and the second... completely reveals everything in the most straightforward matter, without any kind of build-up. It's just a one event after another.

I guess this is just an introduction, because otherwise ???

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop ep. 1 + ep. 2

Pretty interesting first two episodes, but man the way these scenes are presented is pretty confusing. Had it not been for a comment in r/anime 's watchthread I definitely wouldn't have understood that the scenes are not presented in a chronological order at all, which does make it pretty hard to piece things together.

Here's the link to the reddit comment that explains the chronology behind the events.

The OP and ED (the OP song especially) are really cool, too.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Hearing where that show is heading, it's almost a bit concerning to hear this kinda of hype statement.

On that topic and it's respective reddit thread...
yZ3f8MG.png

Always 'lovely' to see how this damning aspect of MiA and its author gets treated on /r/anime. At least the reasonable reply at the bottom is still upvoted, for the time being anyway.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good. Damn harrowing, but good.

Yeah. I feel it handled its dark themes well (which is not always the case especially in anime). Also reminded me how I should look up more of these more unknown series from the past. Had never even heard about this before few weeks ago when one of my friends recommended it to me and I have been watching shit ton of anime for a decade.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing where that show is heading, it's almost a bit concerning to hear this kinda of hype statement.

yZ3f8MG.png

Always 'lovely' to see how this damning aspect of MiA and its author gets treated on /r/anime. At least the reasonable reply at the bottom is still upvoted, for the time being anyway.
Kevin's probably just hyping up his score work here. Also that author thing is so fucking yikes.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York

yZ3f8MG.png

whew lad

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

yZ3f8MG.png

The anime fandom really is full of degenerates. I'm glad we've got decently moderated forums like this one where that shit won't fly.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin's probably just hyping up his score work here.

Certainly, and he did an amazing job before. It still feels just a bit off to particularly point out how he's not going to pull any punches with his OST in support of what might be some genuinely sickening content. Hyping that in particular, I dunno.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

yZ3f8MG.png

OK cool, I'm never going to watch this then.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind, that's just an unverified anecdote from some random user.

Some of the reactions to it, though, are indefensible whether it's actually true or not.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop and Others 01-02

Ok I see this is going to get weird.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
The Price of Smiles 01
This was a really weak start. The politics were bad, the exposition was bad, character design is not my cup of tea, mecha design is middling, the mock battle was nothing special.
Reluctantly watching episode 2 next week to see if it somehow gets better.

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly, and he did an amazing job before. It still feels just a bit off to particularly point out how he's not going to pull any punches with his OST in support of what might be some genuinely sickening content. Hyping that in particular, I dunno.

He's a core member of the production team who is going to be involved in discussions about the approach the film as a whole will be taking. I'm sure he speaks for the whole team in how uncompromising the film will be with the harsher material it's adapting. (Perhaps that's part of the reason this part will be done as a film instead of a TV series? Since you can get away with more explicit content in a film than in broadcast TV.)

Keep in mind, that's just an unverified anecdote from some random user.

Some of the reactions to it, though, are indefensible whether it's actually true or not.

Whether or not that anecdote is true (I have little doubt it is), the author's interests are obvious to anyone who looks at his work. He's certainly far from alone among the world of Japanese artists and animators in this regard.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he speaks for the whole team in how uncompromising the film will be with the harsher material it's adapting.

Yeh. That's the other interpretation I had but it's basically equally troublesome. While it's a classic PR move to talk about not pulling punches in the adaptation of very 'dark' material, this does backfire in cases where said source material actually crosses a line for you. MiA certainly crossed that in regards to all the pedo crap already, where the anime thankfully DID pull punches compared to the manga, and went about as borderline as it possibly could with regards to gore inflicted upon child characters. In my opinion, of course.

Going further than e.g. Mitty's gruesome backstory is something I probably can't and don't want to stomach.

I've actually wondered about Kevin's involvement in the production before when I heard about the supposedly further demented content we've yet to see animated. I was wondering if he's actually completely fine with all that content and whether he would be hesitating to work on the OST going forward. With that tweet, it sounds as though that might not have been much of a consideration.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh. That's the other interpretation I had but it's basically equally troublesome. While it's a classic PR move to talk about not pulling punches in the adaptation of very 'dark' material, this does backfire in cases where said source material actually crosses a line for you. MiA certainly crossed that in regards to all the pedo crap already, where the anime thankfully DID pull punches compared to the manga, and went about as borderline as it possibly could with regards to gore inflicted upon child characters. In my opinion, of course.

Going further than e.g. Mitty's gruesome backstory is something I probably can't and don't want to stomach.

I've actually wondered about Kevin's involvement in the production before when I heard about the supposedly further demented content we've yet to see animated. I was wondering if he's actually completely fine with all that content and whether he would be hesitating to work on the OST going forward. With that tweet, it sounds as though that might not have been much of a consideration.

Kevin Penkin is writing the soundtrack for Kinema Citrus' adaptation of Shield Hero this season as well, so I don't think he's particularly squeamish with the content his music is attached to. If he were, I don't think he would have taken the Made in Abyss job in the first place.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kevin Penkin is writing the soundtrack for Kinema Citrus' adaptation of Shield Hero this season as well, so I don't think he's particularly squeamish with the content his music is attached to. If he were, I don't think he would have taken the Made in Abyss job in the first place.
I imagine it's hard enough for a foreign composer to make it in the anime industry even without being selective about the content of a series.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need to watch Made in Abyss, for reasons that aren't even because of an interest in the show itself. If it explicitly depicts what people argue, I find it difficult to understand why it was apparently one of the more popular shows in the season it came out.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Because the anime doesn't depict that stuff anywhere close to how the manga does

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need to watch Made in Abyss, for reasons that aren't even because of an interest in the show itself. If it explicitly depicts what people argue, I find it difficult to understand why it was apparently one of the more popular shows in the season it came out.

Because nearly everything in it was handled with care rarely seen in TV anime nowadays. Unfortunately, this included questionable bits that would have been better left out of the adaptation.

edit: lol i forgot the manga was worse

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

To be blunt, most people just didn't care

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
If I end watching something from this season, I think it will be:
Mob Psycho 100 2
Dororo
Kakegurui xx
Promised Neverland
GioGio
(waiting to binge it)

About movies, I'll just watch City Hunter, Made in Abyss and Psycho-Pass when available. In any case, I will probably use Prime Video as my main anime necessities, due to a free-year offer from the provider my family is suscribed to (it's Vodafone, by the way).

Of course, I'm open to almost any recommendations (series, movies, OVAs) from the last 5 years or so. Not interested in idols (already satisfied with the iM@S series+movie and the entire WUG project) nor anything Trigger. My Kitsu is in my profile.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Shock value does not deter people.

For my part, I am not fond of shock value. I watched and enjoyed Made in Abyss because it was a well-made show with strong emotional drama, thick atmosphere, and a creative world. I am personally OK with watching TV or film that contains immoral sexual or violent imagery (that would in an ideal world not exist) as long as there is enough content of value to make it worthwhile despite that, and as long as the immoral imagery doesn't cross a certain boundary beyond which I feel that watching it is hazardous to my spiritual health. That can be a delicate balance to figure out, and there are anime that I regret watching for that reason, such as Kite or The Bloodspray of Goemon Ishikawa. The Made in Abyss anime didn't cross that boundary for me, while what I've seen of the manga does. I am not sure that the upcoming film will be able to avoid crossing that boundary, which is why I am uncertain if I will actually venture to watch it.

Of course, everyone has their own tolerance levels, and I would highly encourage each individual to consider their own health when it comes to media content. I don't think a one-size-fits-all approach to content issues is for the best.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
The arm episode, though. It's both unsettling and something that has to be experienced (if one has the stomach for it). Just remembering it makes me feel slightly queasy.
It's one of the most "Shit got real" moments ever, after they had been generally avoiding harm while the series is constantly warning them that the place is hell.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I never watched Made in Abyss because of the author's predilection that was apparently clear in the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime 1

No one told me this show started with the fire bombing of Japan in World War II. That was a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.