• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The Rising of the Shield Hero - Episode 04

Am I really supposed to believe this is a matriarchy? When they established that in the first episode, it was interesting because it's not a concept I've seen at the forefront of an anime. But, really, it seems it was just a way to explain the reactions towards the Shield Hero and why they wouldn't believe him at all with the sexual assault claims (and that wasn't even particularly because of "matriarchy", but because that's how the king twisted things). Other than that, nothing about this has seemed like a matriarchal society at all (and even the opposite, in some cases).
Be patient young grasshopper.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
HUMBLE MANGA BUNDLE AND ITS A SOLID ONE
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...sha_bookbundle&linkID=&utm_content=hero_image

F9MaFLb.png

CFH4uam.png

cXRWCZV.png

it's less than 25 cents a volume, and some really great titles are in there
fire force is from the creator of soul eater and will have an anime soon
to your eternity is from the creator of A Silent Voice.

Hi-Score Girl 11-12 END

I'm equal parts angry and glad there's no episode 13.

50/50

Not one percent more or less than that.

This was just too much for me. Hidaka isn't playing around anymore, she wants to end this knowing he's made up with Akira so she is taking the fastest route. Yaguchi can't really turn down the offer, given he was adamant about fighting with her again, it only displays a lack of resolve. Ono Akira's predicament is really sad and it's pretty clear he wants to be with her so there's no way he can afford to lose. Unless Hidaka somehow finds out about Ono's predicament(and I kind of hope the story doesn't chicken out with that route even if I have to suffer any consequence), I don't see her backing down at all.

FUCK I'm gonna need some time to recover from this.

This almost made me forget the fact that they finally showed the PS1 I was waiting for since the beginning of the show.
but there is an episode 13
and a 14
and a 15

they just aren't out until march :P

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Shield Hero 04

Hold up!

They age with their level?

That only makes me ask how old Raphtellia's parents ar- I should not be going down that rabbit hole.

Interesting bit with the King, why is he so hell bent on propping up the spear and putting down shield.

Havent seen the episode yet, but it stops at 25, you age normally afterwards.

I'm pretty reluctant about this episode since of the stuff I've seen from the manga (which is the first 35 chapters) this bit was the most sketchy, but I'll try to power through it.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Black Clover ep.68
Goofy episode with not much going on.

Dororo ep.4
I can appreciate how they are going about introducing the lore and world through all these mini-stories. This show has been really good so far.

Kakegurui ep.4
poison, possible death, life grants, you know, just another day at the kids gambling asylum.

Mob Psycho S2 ep.4
Holy shiiiiiiiit, is it next week yet? I mean, it has to be right? How the f.....

Pathetic Slime Rules the Forest ep.17
Nice negotiation skills there slime.

Magical Index S3 ep.16
The story is starting to lose focus again as they are covering it from so many different aspects that it's getting confusing as to who is who and what is going on....

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
What streaming service is Kakegurui on? I know that it'll hit Netflix eventually.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 4

I can't help but get the feeling the original author had some very bad experiences with women in the past and this is his way of coping because holy shit is this laying it on thick.

Also more of that line of thinking about how slavery is totally cool and acceptable as long as you treat your slaves nice and they tell you how happy they are, whereas the one hero who thinks owning a slave is maybe not so cool is told that, like, he just doesn't get it, man.

Mob Psycho S2 4

OMG why is this shit so fucking good. I need more. AOTY 2019 already and it's only January.

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
GaoGaiGar 49 (End)

Second half was really good at stepping into a more focused structure instead of MOTW. Some of the plot elements like THE POWER or the final, final enemy did seem a bit too convenient or just out of nowhere, and the literal Chinese knockoff bots didn't really seem like a necessary addition so late into the series, but none of these really detract that much and contributed to some of the pretty hype moments. About the only complaint with the action/robots is that Star GaoGaiGar is a fairly lackluster upgrade, especially for the main mech of the show.

I did end up liking the Zonder/Primeval/Mamoru lore, though I wish they had dug into this earlier in the show. How they handled Mamoru's reaction and his subsequent interaction with friends and family was also pretty good, giving him some doubt, but resolving it relatively quickly. Would've liked a bit more focus on Kaidou and his crew too, but they still got good enough of a spotlight.

Really fun show overall.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Shield Hero 4

I can't help but get the feeling the original author had some very bad experiences with women in the past and this is his way of coping because holy shit is this laying it on thick.

Also more of that line of thinking about how slavery is totally cool and acceptable as long as you treat your slaves nice and they tell you how happy they are, whereas the one hero who thinks owning a slave is maybe not so cool is told that, like, he just doesn't get it, man.

I think the author is a woman, which makes the Internet's reaction to episode 1... Interesting.

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this slavery thing because to my surprise, the show isn't a complete dumpster fire like every other anime involving slavery has been.

While Spear's reaction to the slavery thing is justified, shield makes a point that buying slaves is legal in the country, it's just frowned upon so if spear felt as strongly about this as he did about Raphtelia's situation why didn't he ask the king to abolish the system altogether instead of attacking the guy who followed the rules of the land, it's funny that spear is falling in the exact same pitfall as every other shitty protag who bought slaves "out of kindness" when they're supposedly in a position of significant political clout.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I feel like I should come into this thread undercover like with an alt or change my avatar or something but here I am, ready to face the heat. I've never watched anime, to be honest I'm not even sure what it is. If you ask a lot of people like me they'd probably say "japanese cartoons" or something as equally inept. I watched Pokemon when I was about 12 but that's it. Oh and I've seen Cowboy Bebop on that weird VICE TV channel but honestly took none of it in. However, I'd like to watch some. Just one series though, I really don't have much spare time so cannot afford to really invest.

Oh I'm lying, I've watched Spirited Away, which was great on the first watch but I found I didn't enjoy it so much when I rewatched it. I don't think I'm really into fantasy stuff. No superpowers, no space, no robots, etc. I want something more realistic. Is there "realistic" anime, that's still interesting? Pardon my ignorance.

I'm here for a recommendation of a show I can watch. I have access to pretty much anything, if you know what I mean, so don't worry about availability in the UK or whatever. Well, so long as it's in English. Tough one because I know so little about what's available, I don't really know what I want. Hopefully you can tolerate such unfamiliarity and help me choose something I might enjoy.

Do I want it funny? I guess, but I don't want something aimed solely at children. I don't really care much for romance. (My wife'll vouch for that, derp.)

I just found a "anime recommendation flowchart" and there's so much stuff haha; who knew!

Okay I did it a few times and was recommended a few but wikipedia said the plot involved talking birds looking for princes or something as equally daft. I was left with The Pet Girl of Sakurasou or Kaiji before I decided to disregard the chart and turn to ERA.

Any suggestions? Sorry it's not much to go on. I've only really said what I don't want, rather than what I do. But that's because I don't really know.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I feel like I should come into this thread undercover like with an alt or change my avatar or something but here I am, ready to face the heat. I've never watched anime, to be honest I'm not even sure what it is. If you ask a lot of people like me they'd probably say "japanese cartoons" or something as equally inept. I watched Pokemon when I was about 12 but that's it. Oh and I've seen Cowboy Bebop on that weird VICE TV channel but honestly took none of it in. However, I'd like to watch some. Just one series though, I really don't have much spare time so cannot afford to really invest.

Oh I'm lying, I've watched Spirited Away, which was great on the first watch but I found I didn't enjoy it so much when I rewatched it. I don't think I'm really into fantasy stuff. No superpowers, no space, no robots, etc. I want something more realistic. Is there "realistic" anime, that's still interesting? Pardon my ignorance.

I'm here for a recommendation of a show I can watch. I have access to pretty much anything, if you know what I mean, so don't worry about availability in the UK or whatever. Well, so long as it's in English. Tough one because I know so little about what's available, I don't really know what I want. Hopefully you can tolerate such unfamiliarity and help me choose something I might enjoy.

Do I want it funny? I guess, but I don't want something aimed solely at children. I don't really care much for romance. (My wife'll vouch for that, derp.)

I just found a "anime recommendation flowchart" and there's so much stuff haha; who knew!

Okay I did it a few times and was recommended a few but wikipedia said the plot involved talking birds looking for princes or something as equally daft. I was left with The Pet Girl of Sakurasou or Kaiji before I decided to disregard the chart and turn to ERA.

Any suggestions? Sorry it's not much to go on. I've only really said what I don't want, rather than what I do. But that's because I don't really know.

Barakamon might be a good choice. It's about a calligrapher who's struggling to find himself and moves out to a remote island with lots of cooky villagers. It's got heart and comedy, no romance.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? Women can also write problematic stuff lol

I mean from this season alone Domestic Girlfriend is also written by a woman (where student wants to bang his teacher and other way around too). Of course from the past we have another example from Usagi Drop (fuck that manga ending). It's not that rare. of course far more common with male authors.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Prepare for a list, lol.

Blanket response is Full Metal Alchemist; Brotherhood.

Now that's out of the way,
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
Clannad/Clannad After Story
Barakamon

Recent Movies:
A Silent Voice
Your Name

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Is Saintia Sho good? I always wanted an excuse to like Saint Seiya, but besides the 12 houses arc and maybe Poseidon, I was never able to get that much into it, but I always liked the toys released of the series, and I really like the design of Shoko
It apparently has mangaka herself apologising for the state of anime so ymmv. On the other hand, watching a shittily produced SS series might very well be called the essential Saint Seiya experience!

Provided you're alright with fairly episodic content I'd perhaps posit Tatami Galaxy. The artstyle should be easier to accomodate, it has a relatable theme and it's less anime than most while still being fairly out there. And well it's a good show. The dialogue slows down after 1 or 2nd episode so don't let that discourage you.

Edit: Ping Pong the animation from the same director could also be a good a choice. Can't quite vouch for all of its story choices but I'm in miniscule minority since it's pretty much universally acclaimed work.

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 4

Another great ep, man I really need to catch back up on the LN

Also, spear is such a shit DPS, could barely hurt a tank 24 levels below him. Needed to cheat to get a good hit in.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

"Japanese cartoons" is not really an inept description of anime - that's pretty much the straight-up definition of the word as used in English. (In Japanese, "anime" can refer to cartoons from any country.) There's a lot of rabbit-holes you can go down with the peculiarities of anime fan culture and distinctive kinds of storytelling in anime, but none of that is necessary to simply watch and enjoy Japanese animation.

As you might imagine, realistic stories are less common in anime than stories involving some kind of supernatural/fantastical element, but they do exist and a number of them are quite good! I would recommend looking into the following for starters:

March Comes in Like a Lion - Centered on a young professional shogi (Japanese chess) player, this series develops a rich, varied cast of characters, from a bullied middle school student to an elderly shogi player afraid of death, examining both the pain and warmth of humanity.

Master Keaton - The adventures of a globetrotting insurance investigator/archaeologist/special forces veteran/general jack of all trades, from surviving alone in the desert to solving murder cases to a quiet summer in the Japanese countryside.

Ping Pong the Animation - This show uses the sport of ping pong as a backdrop to portraying how different personalities handle competition, and how that competition ends up shaping themselves and their relationships with others.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Spanning the bulk of 20th century Japanese history, this series tells the life story of a performer of rakugo (a traditional Japanese form of comic storytelling) as he plays out his personal drama of friendship and loss, regret and redemption.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hi-Score Girl 11-12 END

I'm equal parts angry and glad there's no episode 13.

50/50

Not one percent more or less than that.

This was just too much for me. Hidaka isn't playing around anymore, she wants to end this knowing he's made up with Akira so she is taking the fastest route. Yaguchi can't really turn down the offer, given he was adamant about fighting with her again, it only displays a lack of resolve. Ono Akira's predicament is really sad and it's pretty clear he wants to be with her so there's no way he can afford to lose. Unless Hidaka somehow finds out about Ono's predicament(and I kind of hope the story doesn't chicken out with that route even if I have to suffer any consequence), I don't see her backing down at all.

FUCK I'm gonna need some time to recover from this.

This almost made me forget the fact that they finally showed the PS1 I was waiting for since the beginning of the show.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Err bros its not comfirmed yet shield
Hero author is a women. The pen name is just feminime sounding its also not common name for actual people.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
[Promised Neverland: Anime vs Manga]

The notion that the manga for Promised Neverland is inherently superior to the the anime is a talking point that I've seen argued for most strongly since the 3rd episode aired. My initial reaction was to dismiss it outright because manga fans nearly always say that the original source material is superior to the anime adaptation. I've heard the same arguments raised when discussing hundreds of different anime, argument such as: the character designs are poor, the art doesn't match the manga, the adaptation make changes to the story/visuals/plotting/characters etc. Sometimes there's some validity to these complaints but they often strike me as knee-jerk reactions to anything being changed in an adaptation. I believe that when you translate a story from one medium to another you should be making changes to the reflect the differences between manga and anime.

As a result of this perspective, I wasn't really paying too much attention when the same arguments were trotted out for Promised Neverland. More of the same rubbish, I nonchalantly assumed. That is, until someone said that the inner monologue from the manga was turned into exterior dialogue in the anime. This struck me as such a bizarre change that I needed to investigate further. After a bit of digging, it soon turned out that this move was the least of the problems with this adaptation. There's issues with characterization, with world building, with the mind games, with the tone and with the very logic of the writing. Some of these changes feel like compromises that result from attempting to compress the manga down in order to get through the story faster, which is something that I can at least understand. However, some feel truly bizarre and wrongheaded. Let's take a closer look at some specific changes.

Part I: Cut Scenes

The anime has a problem communicating information to the audience in a way that makes logical sense. This problem arises because the anime chose to cut certain scenes from the manga and the result is that some scenes makes no sense, important information isn't relayed to the audience or and certain characters appear less intelligent than they are in the manga.

Logical Consistency Part A: Time frame
There's a scene in episode 3 where the protaganists are discussing the tracking devices they believe to be implanted in their body. They're trying to work out how the tracking devices work so that they can overcome then as part of their escape. Ray makes this completely offhanded comment about the tracking technology which should baffle anime viewers:

yearep3paj4j.jpg

Why is Ray talking about 2015 technology? I assumed this is was a mistranslation, because the show has clearly established that the present in year 2045, as seen in this shot of a calendar from episode 1:

calendarep11mjqt.jpg

This isn't an insignificant detail, it's a key piece of information. In order to get to the bottom of this, we have to look at the manga to an earlier scene. This is when Ray confronts Norman and Ellie and learns the truth about the farm. In the anime, Ray is clearly shown holding a book, but it's significance is not clear, because Ray never discusses or opens the book.

In the manga:

book1w3jlq.png

book25tkrq.png

This seems like fairly significant information to me, information that the the audience and the characters should know. It suggests that something has happened to humanity during the last 30 years, which allows us to start building a timeline to better understand the world. Cutting this brief scene may have saved a minute of runtime, but it means that the scene in episode 3 no longer makes sense, as it's referencing something anime viewers do not know.

Why is this a problem?
First and foremost, the writing should make logical sense. When it doesn't I'm left wondering if I've just missed some important information or if there has been some mistake. It basically pulls me out of the experience of watching the series.

Secondly, The Promised Neverland is a thriller but it has 'mystery' elements to it. There are big questions about "what's really going on" (what happened to humanity, are the kids on Earth, who set up the farms etc). Both the audience and the characters should be on the same page in terms of the knowledge they have about the world because they both start knowing nothing. Paying attention to the clues and uncovering the mystery along with these characters should be part of the pleasure of watching the series. By removing information about the world, the anime viewers have reduced some of the fun of watching the show and made it harder to work out what's "really gong on", especially as all the characters in the series seem to understand the significance of 2015.

Logical Consistency Part B: Ray's Knowledge
In the same scene in episode 3 as above, Ray makes this comment how he believes the tracking technology might work:

techzmkgf.jpg

How has Ray come to this conclusion, when as far as we aware he knows nothing about technology. It seems like a huge logical leap based off of nothing.

In the manga, as we've seen above its established he has read this book on technology:

book1yvk57.png

And that he's actually been studying it:

tech5pjj5.png

Now everything makes more a lot more sense.

Interestingly enough, the title of Ray's book* is seen briefly in episode 2:

booktitle9vkw8.jpg

Those of you who watched episode 2 might not remember this particular shot and for good reason. The title of the book is fully visible for only half a second. This isn't an exaggeration, its onscreen for 0.4/0.5 of a second and as a result there's a decent chance that you missed it. Considering that Ray's comment in episode 3 only makes sense if the audience has seen the title of the book in episode 2, you'd think that it would be a good idea to hold on the above shot for at least a couple of seconds. Instead it's practically a cryptic clue that you can only locate by frame-skipping through the episode.

Why is this a problem?
As above, the series should make logical sense. If a character knows something information and is referencing it, then it helps if the anime viewer is also aware of it (especially when it's something so specific that children generally wouldn't know). In this case, my complain may strike you as a nitpick (especially as the book's title is briefly shown) but it's worth noting that this whole issue only occurred because they decided to cut a scene from the manga which contained world-building.

Kid Geniuses: The Map
A crucial factor in buying the premise of the show is that the protagonists are geniuses. They have to be, because otherwise there's noway that a few kids can go up against scary adults and a world of alien monsters. The protagonists must repeatedly demonstrate their abilities and skills in order for the premise to hold water. It's not enough to just be told that they're clever, we need evidence. Unfortunately, the anime removes certain scenes from the manga which demonstrates the cleverness of kids.

Lets go back to apparently my favourite scene in the anime, where the kids are chatting in the library. Please pay attention to the background (and not the weird triple-chair blocking that makes this shot a mess):

mapep32ikj81.jpg

It's a world map from 2010! What a rich source of knowledge. You can see that apparently the world of Promised Neverland is indeed our own Earth (and not some alternative world Earth with other continents). You'd think that someone would pay attention to this map and comment on it. Well, in the manga:

map1i6kf5.png

map2ssjbr.png

In the manga, this short scene demonstrates the following about the kids: they're observant, they're knowledgeable, they're always looking for a way to gain an advantage. In the anime, they just ignore the map which if you're a charitable means they have already discussed it (off-screen) or if you're less generous it suggests that the kids aren't as bright as they should be.

Mind Games and Mom

Mom is set up as the key antagonist who the children must somehow defeat (either physically, mentally or both) if they are to escape the farm. We're supposed to gather that she's ruthless, intelligent, determined, observant and cold-blooded. We see her testing the children (through her tracking device and also direct questioning) to discover who has uncovered the big secret of the farm. Our protagonists have outmaneuvered her by feigning innocence and keeping their heads down but as time goes in we get the impression that they'll have to take more direct steps to best her.

This core conflict is largely a mental one, because neither side can directly attack the other (the kids are too weak, Mom doesn't know who has learnt the secret). When characters engage in this kind of mental battle of wits, each side has to try and understand the other so that they can guess what they're thinking. From these assumptions, characters to try make a mental image of their adnversary and they use those predictions to try and outmanouver them somehow. Eventually we learn if those guesses were correct and then the person who best predicted the moves of their revival tends to come out on top. The fun is in seeing characters trryign to best each other through trickery, creativity, intelligence and knowledge.

Unfortunately the anime naturally has far less of these moments than the manga because it removes most of the internal monologue which serves as the home for much of this content. I feel that Mom is hit hardest by this because she literally has no-one to talk with explain her thoughts to. It also has less of these moments because they cut this scene from the manga:

mom6k3kg4.png

mom703j3u.png

mom8iyk57.png

It's a shame that this scene is missing from the anime because it conveys lots of important ideas in a succinct fashion. It shows that our heroes are building a mental image of Mom to try and understand and outmaneuver her. It also demonstrates that the kids are smart because they've picked up that Mon's approach is strange. We, as the audience, understand that Mom is trying to keep her mistake under-wraps rather than tackle them directly but it's good to see that the kids have the intelligence to potentially pick up on this. It helps to sell the idea that the kids could stand a chance in their battle to escape the farm.

Part II: Changed Scenes

While some scenes have been cut, other scenes have been changed. Change inevitable in any adaptation but I feel that some of these changes are really distracting and make the show worse than it should be.

Sister Krone
Sister Krone isn't someone who has been changed between manga and anime, it's more like her character has been assassinated. Here's the changes:
- She doesn't sing in the manga, and she certainly doesn't sing loudly
- She doesn't talk to or coddle a toy baby, that scene is pulled out of thin air for the anime.
- She doesn't discuss her plan out lout loud like an idiot
- As a result of the above, she doesn't come across as a jolly, deranged figure of fun. She's calculating, observant and ruthless with schemes of her own - just in a different way to Mon.

I really don't understand how this:

plotjpkv6.png

sisterkronemangasrjmd.png

Was changed to this:

sisterkrome15njhl.jpg

sistersister5ak31.jpg

The anime version of Sister Krone is peculiar, manic character that really doesn't mesh with the tone that the series had established up to that point. She doesn't feel nearly as serious or threatening as the cold and calculating character in the manga.

Internal Dialogue

The manga for Promised Neverland frequently makes uses of internal dialogue. I understand why the anime has removed it: what works in one medium doesn't work in another. Internal dialogue is common in books and comics, not in films and TV. This does, however create two problems. Firstly, we miss information that helps to develop our characters, especially those who don't have anyone to speak to (Krone, Mom.) Secondly, when the show realizes certain information is vital to the plot, the way those ideas are communicated leaves a lot to be desired.

Part A: Characterization
There's too many examples of the first kind to list them all, but as an example consider the below scene:

momavejvh.png

I love how Mom wasn't just observing Emma visually, but also subtly checking her pulse. This suggests that she's calculating and observant on a whole other level and really elevates how dangerous she is.

I'm not saying that every scene from the manga should be in the anime. Nor am I saying that you should constantly hear the thoughts of characters while watching an anime. I just want to highlight that something is lost when translating one medium to another. Now, in a well made adaptation you'll see tricks used to convert the internal dialogue into something more palpable for the medium of anime. For example, you might convert the essence of the dialogue into an actual conversation between two characters, so that the audience can learn the same thing.

The above scene with Mom is somewhat trickier, but there are still ways to convey the idea using tools only found in anime. For example, when Mom is touching Emma's neck, we could have a quick cut to a close-up of Mom's fingers and we could hear Emma's heartbeat, hopefully communicating to the audience that Mom was checking for an elevated pulse. Or we could use more abstract and unusual camera angles, colours, sound effects, musical choices to communicate similar ideas. There's a real plethora of options, but I don't feel like the anime is using any of them. It feels like it's using the visuals of the manga as a base and not doing a whole lot with them.

Part B: Questionable Choices
Sometimes these manga scenes/lines are converted into the anime because its vital that the audience understands the information that was previously internal dialogue. Unfortunately whenever these lines were converted for episode 3 they chose to have the characters speak (or sing out loud) information that would get the characters killed if anyone else heard them. It just doesn't make any sense or fit the tone or logic of the series:

sisterkromeqjjqj.jpg

She's right next to the kid's rooms, they can definitely hear this!

loudtalk2ffkop.jpg

loudtalk4uoj53.jpg

Watch out Emma, glasses girl is literally right next to you! What are you saying? Not only are these scenes ridiculous on their face, but they're completely avoidable. Why can't characters whisper, or heck, just have them think these thoughts to themselves. It would be far less silly and certainly less distracting.

Part III: Conclusions and Staying Positive

Different mediums have different strengths and weaknesses. It's inevitable and important that a work will change when it's adapted from one medium to another. A skilled production team will draw upon the key elements of the source material: story, tone, characters, theme etc - and find a creative way to translate these to anime. It's even possible for elements to change radically from one to the other - and that's fine too, as long as the resulting work is still good.

In the case of Promised Neverland, many of the changes that I've examined only diminish the quality of the series. Some are just plain bad (the timeline, characters speaking their secrets thoughts out loud), others are creative choices that don't mesh with the tone of the story (Sister Krone) while others failure to communicate key ideas about the characters. None of it works. With the creative staff making decisions this bad so early on, I'm pretty concerned about where the rest of the season is going.

I don't want to leave on a purely negative note, so I've decided to throw out some recommendations for other works which share some similarities to the ideas/tone/genre of Promised Neverland, but which I consider to be much better:

Thrillers:
Monster - This 74 (!) episode long mystery/thriller is an all time classic and one of my favourite shows of all time. The production quality is excellent for a work of this length and the series maintains a haunting, tense tone throughout.
Death Note - This work is certainly 'edgier' and more over the top than Promised Neverland but it's still an extremely entertaining series. It's focus is squarely on the mind games between the two main characters with far less of a focus on mystery.
Kaiji - This is another work which focuses on mind games but its setting and tone is far more grounded than either Promised Neverland or Death Note.
Hannibal (TV Series) - Definitely not an anime, but I'd be in dereliction of duty if I didn't recommend people watched one of the most impressive, engaging and mesmerizing thrillers in any medium.

Prison Break Stories:
Prison Break - Even though this show went downhill far before they stopped making it, I still consider the first two seasons to be exciting, creative and relentlessly tense. You just have to pretend that series stopped at the end of the second season.
Great write up! Even though I didn't read the manga, the tone after ep1 was all over the place. But I think I'm just gonna read it instead.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the author is a woman.
I think the author is a woman, which makes the Internet's reaction to episode 1... Interesting
could've fooled me!
I'm sure you're gonna get a ton of lists with great recommendations but for a quick rec I cannot emphasize enough how good Ping Pong the Animation is.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Mob Psycho 100 S1. It's pretty fun, and a lot more interesting than One Punch Man.
OPM was more popular, but I always thought Mob Psycho was more interesting.

It's gonna be interesting when OPM makes a return. I feel like the Western response will be even more muted than when AoT returned.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Why though? Women can also write problematic stuff lol

Well, yeah whether you're a man or a woman you can write hot garbage, but without shitting up the sanctity of this thread too much all I'll say is it wouldn't fit the agenda people had against episode 1 if the author was a woman vs a man writing it.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 4

Lmao what an infuriating episode. All that gaslighting and seeing Naofumi getting his dick kicked repeatedly made me furious. Like bro WTF.

Does this mean this is the first time he's seeing her as an adult? I guess if they're slaves, the masters only see them in the form they were when the contract was made? At least she's free now.

Him whining about "traitor" was stupid however. She did nothing wrong bro.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 4

Lmao what an infuriating episode. All that gaslighting and seeing Naofumi getting his dick kicked repeatedly made me furious. Like bro WTF.

Does this mean this is the first time he's seeing her as an adult? I guess if they're slaves, the masters only see them in the form they were when the contract was made? At least she's free now.

Him whining about "traitor" was stupid however. She did nothing wrong bro.
he was hallucinating as soon as that black mist came out of his shield, hence why he saw her as a child in the slave garb getting the crest removed. Hallucinated that she abandoned him too as soon as she was freed hence the traitor remark and asking if it was really her.
But yes he sees her as an adult now

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
he was hallucinating as soon as that black mist came out of his shield, hence when he saw her as a child in the slave garb getting the crest removed. Hallucinated that he abandoned him too hence the traitor remark and asking if it was really her.

Ah okay, that was a little confusing. So was she actually freed? Or did he imagine that as well?

I'm also confused why he was like "Who are you?" when the smoke disappeared. I figured that's because that was the first time he saw her adult form.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay, that was a little confusing. So was she actually freed? Or did he imagine that as well?

I'm also confused why he was like "Who are you?" when the smoke disappeared. I figured that's because that was the first time he saw her adult form.
yeah i saw it as she dispelled the hallucination as the red lines on his face faded too. They'll go more into that specific shield later on and what it does

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017

His PTSD was so bad from being betrayed that he had a cloud over his eyes where he didn't even recognize that Raphtalia had grown. He just wasn't aware. Now that Raphtalia's compassion got through to him Naofumi has his sense of taste back as well.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i saw it as she dispelling the hallucination as the red lines on his face faded too. They'll go more into that specific shield later on and what it does
His PTSD was so bad from being betrayed that he had a cloud over his eyes where he didn't even recognize that Raphtalia had grown. He just wasn't aware. Now that Raphtalia's compassion got through to him Naofumi has his sense of taste back as well.

Ahhhh okay. So I guess it was also kinda metaphorical. Nice.

I'm happy our boy can finally taste food again.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Finished watching some more stuff and Comic Girls and Aggressive Retsuko were surprisingly great!

Comic Girls
Good to see Kaos finding an inspiration at the end. I feel she can try dubstep if the mangaka thing doesn't work out though. Abwubwubwubwub

Aggressive Retsuko
Pretty much all the characters in this are amazing. Gori and Washimi are absolutely fabulous. Also Komiya was too good a match, something about a slimy suck-up meerkat fits so well, imo.

Grand Blue
Stupidity at its finest, I mean that in a good way. Their shenanigans are at a different level lol.

Yuru Camp
Quite literally what the title implies, unlike all these other animes with weird names. The OP and ED songs were some of my faves from last season.

Zombie Land Saga

I think it was the first two episodes which were really great. It ends as a decent idol anime, but was hoping for some more unorthodox styles like in the beginning.

Now to sort these into a numbered list... Too bad I couldn't start Slime-kun in time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
speaking of shield hero has there been any word on what's going on with the dub?
it was supposed to happen day of, now we are more weeks behind than the normal simuldub o.O

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
BTW anyone else experiencing weird ass sound issues with CR? It's most noticeable with the last few episodes of SAO and Slime. The explosion and other fighting sound effects are really crushed and distorted.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 3
I think I prefer the previous episode, anyway I am liking the president more and more.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
The Rising of the Shield Hero 04

Damn that was a really good episode. More of this, please.

It's a fuckin' shame this show is marred by an unfortunate fake rape accusation and slavery. I think it could've pulled off everything it's done so far without that, and then I wouldn't have to say "it's good but yeah it's got some shitty things in it".

Then again I've been doing that my whole anime career with fanservice and shit, soooooo what're ya gonna do.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Its not confirmed the author is women.

Yeah actually I googled it and the author uses a pen name and their gender (along with most personal info) is kept secret. Asserting they are a woman to quell claims of sexism is therefore disingenuous. In addition, like I mentioned before, if a piece of media has sexist elements it doesn't even matter whether a man or woman wrote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.