• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
So is there no legal way to watch Astro Fighter Sunred? It seems up my alley but i cant find it and even in the mothers basement video recommending it he lists that there's no legal way to watch it in the description.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop - 01

That was poor all around. Imma watch episode 2 now but don't expect that can hook me. I always expect some frontloaded animation splendor and if this was supposed to be just that then I'd better close my eyes onwards...

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Boogiepop 1-2

That was...interesting. I'll echo a lot of you, it's a good thing they premiered this with a double episode. Episode 1 was really all mystery with little to no explanation, which probably wouldn't have gone over well if we didn't have the second episode to go through immediately afterwards. Now geting into the first episode, I don't really have a lot to say on an audio-visual level. There were some nice looking environmental shots, and I like some of the animation flourishes. Mainly Boogiepop's cape/cloak looks like it's going to allow for some fun stuff, emphasizing the character's ephemeral nature (aren't capes/cloaks always just a nice excuse for some dramatic cloth animation?). The scene when Echoes first appears was nice, with some good character animation. In terms of writing, the biggest issue I have is the relationship between Boogiepop and Takeda. There's really no way I'm going to buy their friendship with just what we got here. It feels like they only knew each other a day or so, and the editing really is the main culprit (aside from the obvious writing issue). It's edited to make it feel like the same day deliberately, and I'm not sure why. Hopefully it's a relationship that's expanded upon as the series goes on.
As for episode 2, generally, the non-chronological narrative doesn't bother me, but it's not really making a great point for itself so far. The editing seems haphazard, with little to no interesting transitions. I'd have to rewatch it, but I didn't get a sense of any themes connecting the cuts, aside from some basic writing (person talks about prior event -> cut to event). It's just really boring. The bigger problem for me was how damn expository the second episode was. It was just a straight loredump in the least interesting way possible, just characters explaining the plot to each other. I'm surprised what seems like such a big part of the plot is being revealed this early, especially since this is supposed to be a mystery.

Oh, and none of the characters do anything for me so far. These are some bland-ass people, both in design and in writing.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop - 02

That's some exceptionally poor nonlinear storytelling and editing.

Well, I'm done with that for certain.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop 1-2
As for episode 2, generally, the non-chronological narrative doesn't bother me, but it's not really making a great point for itself so far. The editing seems haphazard, with little to no interesting transitions. I'd have to rewatch it, but I didn't get a sense of any themes connecting the cuts, aside from some basic writing (person talks about prior event -> cut to event). It's just really boring. The bigger problem for me was how damn expository the second episode was. It was just a straight loredump in the least interesting way possible, just characters explaining the plot to each other. I'm surprised what seems like such a big part of the plot is being revealed this early, especially since this is supposed to be a mystery.

My thoughts are similar on this matter. Personally, I didn't really find it confusing or hard to understand, it was pretty straightforward. Episode introduces the viewer to the story, but pretty much skips the entirety of it, while episode 2 is that story and how it happens, with the flashbacks explaining crucial scenes. It didn't really need any flashy transitions or anything, I don't think it's hard to grasp what is happening and when, but I think the way everything is presented isn't just boring but robs important scenes from their tension. The very structure they chose feels dumb. Like, I'm not sure if that's intentional, but this really diminished the death of that girl, for example. I wonder if they're just making a straight adaption of the source material and this is why it feels "wrong".

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop Phantom
So I watched this in light of the new Boogiepop show coming out.

Hmm, it is an interesting show, I will say that. It is not very nice to look at, having this weird dark, fuzzy look to it, and there is not much animation. That said, the show is effective at creating certain moods, sometimes psychological horror, and sometimes melancholy. The emotions are presented in a weirdly cold and clinical manner, which adds to the creepy vibe to the whole thing.

So the most notable aspect about this show is that it initially provides zero context, and it is quiet non linear, both in the episode itself and between episodes, and so I initially started out very confused. But after three episodes, you sort of start to get the gist of it and it is not so confusing. Heck, it is more about the psychological problems of each individual characters in each episode. It is a bit like a puzzle. There are weird random scenes in one episode, which gains context in later ones. Or within an episode, things will be weird or out of order, but one additional scene later on will have it make sense. It does demand your attention though, and I don't know if it is brilliant or pretentious. Heck, I wouldn't blame people if they thought the show was obnoxious. Speaking of confusing, you can really tell that this is the sequel to something, and the main plot point is very tied to an event that the audience hardly gets privy to. Heck, there is a scene that is pretty much in the new Boogiebop show. Which leads me to...

Boogiepop and Others: 1-2
Firstly, I really like the song for the opening credit. Actually is it me or does it sound like the Persona 4 opening? lol

Starting off, the character design is just not good. I am not the best judge of good art and good animation, but I didn't like it. It is ill fitting for the mood of the show, and depending on the angle, just intuitively unappealing. Heck, I don't feel like this show has the directorial chops to create the right mood. Sometimes, the style this is going for is a pale imitation of its 2000 counterpart. Which is why I am very grateful for the incredible music, which is single handedly carrying the mysterious and clinical feeling of this show. I am going to keep watching this just so I can listen to the music.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
The Rising of the Shield Hero episode 1

And a guy is summoned to another world, gets a legion of babes who want to bone him and gets super powers...

Wait...what? Holy shit this series is fucking brutal. And that's a different way of going about getting a harem. God damn.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Rising of the Incel Hero
Pretty much, from the slavery is A-Okay to the message it's pushing that women are out to get you with false rape charges. This is a incel's wet dream of a show, and people are going to hand wave this shit off...I think I'm going to remove it from the highlights since I had the slightest hope it would attempt to remove/strongly tone down the "Misogynist Nerd Victim Complex" of the source material.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, from the slavery is A-Okay to the message it's pushing that women are out to get you with false rape charges. This is a incel's wet dream of a show, and people are going to hand wave this shit off...I think I'm going to remove it from the highlights since I had the slightest hope it would attempt to remove/strongly tone down the "Misogynist Nerd Victim Complex" of the source material.
I dont pretend to watch this because it don't seem a quality anime but what exactly it does wrong?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Mob and that Neverland show really are the only highlights of this season. Damn. Backlog it is.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get this. False accusations can happen and the series isn't making some statement about how every women does that. One author in one story decided to have a character falsely accused of something. The novel started in 2013 so its not like this story is based on some recent sentiment towards women of some guys.

Pretty much everyone is an asshole aside from the blacksmith who looked like he realized that Shield didn't do it. If she stood out exclusively as the single bad person in this episode then maybe but not with how everyone is acting. The slavery stuff is edgy but the dude is stuck in this world, falsey accused and everyone hates him and he is stuck with a shield as his weapon he kinda has to do something to get things going because if he can't effectively level up he will never get home and just die to a wave or some random monster.

Doesn't even look like she did it alone either but planned things with the spear guy

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero is pretty typical fantasy tho after the initial edgy starter pack, the true incel LN anime adaptation yet is not happening yet, altho I can see it announced in under a year because how popular it is unfortunately,

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Boogiepop 1-2

That was...interesting. I'll echo a lot of you, it's a good thing they premiered this with a double episode. Episode 1 was really all mystery with little to no explanation, which probably wouldn't have gone over well if we didn't have the second episode to go through immediately afterwards. Now geting into the first episode, I don't really have a lot to say on an audio-visual level. There were some nice looking environmental shots, and I like some of the animation flourishes. Mainly Boogiepop's cape/cloak looks like it's going to allow for some fun stuff, emphasizing the character's ephemeral nature (aren't capes/cloaks always just a nice excuse for some dramatic cloth animation?). The scene when Echoes first appears was nice, with some good character animation. In terms of writing, the biggest issue I have is the relationship between Boogiepop and Takeda. There's really no way I'm going to buy their friendship with just what we got here. It feels like they only knew each other a day or so, and the editing really is the main culprit (aside from the obvious writing issue). It's edited to make it feel like the same day deliberately, and I'm not sure why. Hopefully it's a relationship that's expanded upon as the series goes on.

Oh, and none of the characters do anything for me so far. These are some bland-ass people, both in design and in writing.
My biggest problem with the show so far is how similar many of the characters look. There are like 3 girls with medium-length black hair, and I found myself constantly getting confused as to which was which.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yuru Camp 02-05- So I really slept on this show. I watched the first episode last winter and thought it seemed like a lazy show where nothing happened but my time somehow still gets spent.
First episode really doesn't do the show justice.
My fiancé and I are hooked now.

Run With The Wind 05-11- This one got really good! The music is great, and the animation seems so much better than most other shows!
I feel like this show is underrated. Characters are pretty likable too. Only flaw for me is maybe that it moves a bit slow through some samey episodes of "I don't wanna run...wait you guys do?".
So glad it's continuing this season!

Persona 5 SP1 hour long episode thingy- This was actually a big leap in quality from the later episodes of the last season.
It reminded me of how much I miss that game and those chcatacters.
Can't wait for them to finish it up in March!

Now onto the Winter season: Besides giving that weird plane show by the Shirobako folks a try (I mean they already made a fake plane girls show, mind as well try the real one), I'm not sure what else to watch this season:
Nothing seems to stand out.
If anyone here is familiar with my tastes, I'd love to get some suggestions.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the beautiful thing about Yuru Camp and others of its ilk is that nothing happens really but you still enjoy the nothing happening really

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Mob Recap OVA & Mob II #01

Yutapon cubes and Miyo Sato paint-on-glass and the Kameda OP on the big screen is everything I never knew I needed. god bless.

They also played that rapparu/Kengo Saito/Kou Yoshinari Crunchyroll ad before the recap which was also glorious on the big screen. god bless.

oh the actual episode was good too I guess

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
What's, uh, up with Run with the Wind's long hiatus? Last time something I was watching did this, it was Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I was led to understand was because they wanted a longer runtime for the final episode (of season one). And then it was... three months later or some shit.

Hearing where that show is heading, it's almost a bit concerning to hear this kinda of hype statement.

On that topic and it's respective reddit thread...
yZ3f8MG.png

Always 'lovely' to see how this damning aspect of MiA and its author gets treated on /r/anime. At least the reasonable reply at the bottom is still upvoted, for the time being anyway.
oof oof yikes oof etc

Gross. Fucking gross.

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
What's, uh, up with Run with the Wind's long hiatus? Last time something I was watching did this, it was Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I was led to understand was because they wanted a longer runtime for the final episode (of season one). And then it was... three months later or some shit.
I think it got hit with the channel going off the air for the holidays.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Shield Hero is pretty typical fantasy tho after the initial edgy starter pack, the true incel LN anime adaptation yet is not happening yet, altho I can see it announced in under a year because how popular it is unfortunately,
I've read a good chunk of the English translated manga for Shield Hero and it's pretty incel-ish. After the first major arc, which is what the anime is going to cover, it does change gears a bit and isn't so much Red Pill but eh it's still sorta there.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
My biggest problem with the show so far is how similar many of the characters look. There are like 3 girls with medium-length black hair, and I found myself constantly getting confused as to which was which.
This is such a weird issue to have. They all have different hairstyles,facial features and personalities.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I've been holding this in for the sake of keeping the peace, because Team White Subtitles have kept their wrong opinions to themselves, but now I can remain silent no longer.

Yellow subtitles are the best subtitles. They retain all the clarity of the white subtitles, without overpowering the black border and accidentally blending in with white backgrounds. When you see yellow subtitles, there isn't that microsecond of hesitation you get with white subtitles where your brain frantically cross-references them against every white thing you constantly see in visual media, and you just immediately realize they are subtitles. The yellow of the subtitles separates the text from the visuals, while retaining a pleasing complementary color scheme. Those who support white subtitles are no better than animals. Do not believe their lies. YELLOW FOREVER

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I've been holding this in for the sake of keeping the peace, because Team White Subtitles have kept their wrong opinions to themselves, but now I can remain silent no longer.

Yellow subtitles are the best subtitles. They retain all the clarity of the white subtitles, without overpowering the black border and accidentally blending in with white backgrounds. When you see yellow subtitles, there isn't that microsecond of hesitation you get with white subtitles where your brain frantically cross-references them against every white thing you constantly see in visual media, and you just immediately realize they are subtitles. The yellow of the subtitles separates the text from the visuals, while retaining a pleasing complementary color scheme. Those who support white subtitles are no better than animals. Do not believe their lies. YELLOW FOREVER
I bet you even like those badly scalable pixelated fonts (I cannot remember the correct technical term).

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Shield Hero - Preview

Wow that felt long as hell, after going through the generic Isekai setup not only was I horrified to find out only 10 minutes have past but it was 10 minutes of 46... welp!

And hoo boy are there signs of a great anime ahead, after being tricked our protag goes from this wide-eyed dumbass who knows nothing of the world to basically hard-boiled asshole instantly, and to add icing on the cake there's slavery, has an Isekai with slavery in it ever come out the other end being good overall, hell I'll tip my hat if this show comes out not being absolute trash.

Only thing I can see that could be interesting is Shield Hero's ability to absord stuff, not like I've seen that before, killing slimes to level up seems such an apt coincidence.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Isekei 01

The thing keeping me interested in this is the fact everyone is treating the MC like shit and fucking him over instead of the typical isekei set up. I don't really have an issue with the false charge of rape set up and the slavery introduction scene was like literally every other slavery introduction scene in anime. I mean those slaves clearly didn't appear happy to be there. I'm curious to see how they build him up to be a all powerful isekei MC because it isn't completely obvious to me as it stands. Also I do like a righteous revenge story. Ok start.

Boogiepop 01-02

Worse than the shield isekei show because I didn't even fucking understand what was going on most of the time and even when I began to I didn't really feel all the interested. The weird scene transitions threw me off and I wasn't sure when something was happening at the same time, a flashback or a flashback of something that happen during a different scene. Right now the show hasn't done anything to really keep me interested at this point. Bad start.

Egao no Daika 01

Everything about this was kinda middling and inoffensive until the end of the episode where I sorta get where the show is probably going so I'll stick around for the ride. I admit with the whole child ruler thing I was waiting for a moment where I could tell someone was going to betray/harm her but I didn't get it. Ok start.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Price of Smiles - 01

That was such a sugary start I almost started to vommit rainbows.

Throughout the episode I felt someone was going to betray the monarchy and then the ending happened, I can't tell which direction they're going to take this because they already showed that our princess has a strategic acumen to her character yet at the same time seems in way over her head as the Princess of the kingdom... Speaking of which is this monarchy based on the Mushroom Kingdom, how is she not queen?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero 1

Solid first episode. Ost is pretty good so far and animation seems fine.

Isekei setting has got to be the most generic possible. Legendary hero, teleported into a fantasy world, hero sees a literal UI with freaking on screen messages, defeat waves of monsters.

Rest seems interesting. The MC getting falsely accused certainly is quite the story setup. Was worried absolutely everyone was going to be an asshole but it seems like the blacksmith realized he didn't do it. Liked that the MC came back to pay off the cloak he was given. Considering his situation a slave seems to be almost the only way for him to get a party right now.

Curious where things go from here

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Boogiepop and Others 1-2
I know I'm late to the party on this one, but given the comments I've seen here and elsewhere, I didn't want to watch this double-episode premier until I had the time to properly digest it. Not really knowing anything about the original light novel other than its undeniable influence on Persona 2 and its reputation as one of the classic great light novels back before the medium really took off, I didn't know much of what I was getting myself into, but I think this was definitely one of the more intriguing shows I've watched in a while.

As everyone else has stated, it's a good thing they went with showing the first two episodes at once, since the first one is mostly a mood piece. It became fairly obvious after a while that what we were seeing is the introductory arc being told from the perspective of someone on the fringe of that narrative, mostly serving as an introduction to Boogiepop herself and giving you some insight into a handful of characters of varying levels of importance. The second episode picks up as the more traditional beginning, bringing the first arc into focus as Boogiepop takes a backseat to the other major players as they set the stage for what the series is likely to bring.

What makes this tricky is that both episodes are edited out of linear order. A lot of this is done to build the framework of a mystery and keep the audience guessing by moving sequences where answers become clear to later in the episode in order for the audience to be given time to piece what's happening together themselves, and honestly once you get the rhythm for the reveals it's actually fairly easy to keep track of what's going on. While the harsh edits that interrupt scenes and musical cues can be jarring at first, that level of disorientation does a lot to help build the mood of the show and keep you on edge, forcing you to engage with the material rather than calmly absorb it. It's also nice because this editing method manages to keep exposition to a minimum, with a lot of details about events being conveyed through subtle environmental storytelling and visuals cues, not to mention the editing itself painting a clearer picture of what's going on than you could get from a more conventional structure. Shingo Natsume is clearly showing his clear command of the material in a really dramatic fashion, and while it's definitely unusual, I think his touch is really helping bring out the most of the material... most of the time.

If I had a complaint, I feel that the late reveal in the second episode felt a little like it was something that was too difficult for the audience to piece together on their own. There were a few too many specific details missing by the time Naoko shows up for you to piece together exactly what's been going on in the larger framework, which makes the mystery part of the show falter a bit for me. Still, it's not a deal-breaker, but it feels disappointing in any mystery when you realize you would never have had enough information to deduce the truth before its presented to you, but I think the mood and direction make up for that particular narrative shortcoming. All I can hope is that this isn't something Boogiepop and Others ends up relying on too much going forward.

Also, I feel specific mention should go to the OP and ED, which are both visually fantastic and filled with lots of thematic symbolism. Coming off of the ACCA OP and ED, I shouldn't be surprised, but they are a wonderful compliment to the show itself and really feel like they're tipping their hand at a lot of little things to come when Boogiepop starts becoming a more central figure in the show.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed given a lot of the doom and gloom that's surrounded Boogiepop and Others of late. It's certainly going to be a divisive show with people and I think it's easily an acquired taste, but I'm really pleased with what we have so far (even if it doesn't seem like it'll be the visual tour-de-force I would've hoped for given One Punch Man and ACCA). I think this is going to remain one of the more interesting shows I'll be watching this season.
Also, can I already get the ball rolling on Nagi being "Best Girl" for the season? I'm not going to hear any complaints on that front, am I?

GeGeGe no Kitaro 38
Man, what is it with Boogiepop and Others starting this weekend that GeGeGe no Kitaro ALSO features an episode centered around a man-eater? All things told, this was a pretty disturbing one-off episode, featuring perhaps one of the most grisly schemes Rat Man has cooked up in the series. I'm pretty shocked they actually included a short montage of his clients asking to disappear bodies of people that they had killed either through manslaughter or murder. It's so blunt about the subject in a way that's pretty shocking in a children's show, but I shouldn't be surprised Rat Man would stoop to something so low as erasing any trace of people if it means he can live the high life (he's done it before in the diamond episode, after all). The ending of the show is also pretty messed up, in a way that showcases some of the worst of humanity without really having anything other to say than it's present and you shouldn't look away. It feels like a statement in a way that the series doesn't often make so directly without offering other commentary, and it's pretty unsettling honestly. Apart from that, lots of good action now and then, and seeing our characters body swap is pretty fun. That and Mana got to steal the show with a moment that feels like something she wasn't always capable of doing, so that was fun to see. All in all, an unnerving and disturbing episode with some great action and decent humor as well. It's a good way to start off Kitaro in the new year.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
just finished volume 4 of The Promised Neverland and I am so damn hyped for this anime. Hope it turns it well!

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Sword Art Online: Alicization 13

Well this was a boring episode. I hope the next one will be better, from the ending it seems so as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.