• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I will say using the scene of Emma and the others apologizing to Don and Gilda as an example of the anime making them look too reckless is a bit strange, because they WERE reckless there and are seen by Krone.
It's the emphasis. In the manga, you could also say the group was reckless there but by not highlighting and bringing attention to that point through various camera angles, you don't undermine the characters by doing so. It's treated more as a slip up in the manga while the anime presents it as a continuing series of screw ups. For example the scene with Don/Gilda sneaking into Mama's room is impulsive in both the anime and manga but the anime by having Mama almost catching Don/Gilda makes their error significantly worse. The anime is playing up events, presumably as a quick and dirty way of adding tension, and as a result its subverting characters.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Finally got myself to do the Three episode rule with The Promised Neverland...

Gonna be honest, despite the great setup, this isn't hooking me. Mind-game heavy shows where the characters constantly make basic errors are not my thing.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
On a less negative note - what anime shows for the rest of the year is everyone looking forward to? I'd like to know what has anticipation, since I normally just take everything season by season.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'm personally really looking forward to Attack on Titan Season 3, Kimetsu no Yaiba, and Vinland Saga. The first two because I really like the source material and the third because a Viking anime sounds cool. I'm also interested to see how OPM Season 2 and Dr Stone will turn out.

Also super looking forward to Crisis Jung, which has been finished and shown at various film festivals for like an entire year... But the streaming platform it was supposed to come out on (blackpills) has been fucking around so no one, not even the animation studio knows when it's gonna come out 😓

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Actually, speaking of Kimetsu no Yaiba, just saw this on twitter:

They don't have the same voice actor but Tanjirou kinda sounds like Midoriya (although it might just be the screaming/emotional voice)... Not the image I had in my mind when reading the manga haha. I like the art and the colours though.

The link in tweet says they'll show episodes 1 to 5 on the big screen in 11 theatres in Japan for two weeks starting on 29th of March btw.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Just realized I have the channel Boogiepop plays on so watched ep. 7 an hour ago. What is up with that intro, man. Show itself is a little disappointing. Would again strongly recommend Boogiepop Phantom to anyone who is interested at all. Leagues better, great atmosphere and music. I do like the ending song on the new one though

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Promised Neverland 2-5

First ep didn't really sell me on any aspect of this but I can't lie these next four totally got me. Love me some good 4D chess strategizing shounen. Mamoru Kanbe's directing is still really gimmicky (that back and forth "clock pendulum" pan at the start of ep 5 was just painful) and kinda distracting but it's gotten a lot more manageable since he stepped off storyboard duties. Props to Fukushima, the character animation has stayed pretty solid and it really sells all the twists so far (though ep 1 is still the highlight there admittedly). Never touched the manga so I don't know how it stacks up and judging by reactions around here I feel like I really don't want to know. Just let me enjoy my crazy mind games in peace

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
On a less negative note - what anime shows for the rest of the year is everyone looking forward to? I'd like to know what has anticipation, since I normally just take everything season by season.

- Gunjou no Magmel
- One Punch Man S2
- RobiHachi
- Dr. Stone
- SYMPHOGEAR XV
- My Hero Academia S4
- Vinland Saga
- Gundam Build (2019)
- Kanata no Astra
- Orphen
- Enen no Shouboutai

I've got a longer list of shows I'll watch, but those are quantities that already interest me.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Shield Hero 07
What a great EP, that was just entertaining all the way through. I keep hearing this is the best arc in the series so I'm weary of it ending. Maybe the anime being adapted better then the source will turn that stuff around. Man, Filo is just one happy bird when she's pulling that wagon it's adorable AF. Ima get a plushy of bird Filo if a see a good one at a con. Regarding the Spear Hero
He planted the seed in that chest that read 'don't plant this shit' right?
The brutality of the monster fight also made me take note, it must the the contrast to the fun adventuring.

Last edited:

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Hm...

Hope that new KyoAni show 20th Century Electricity Catalog or whatever it ends up being called is good. Oh, and Vinland Saga I guess.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Promised Neverland 2-5

First ep didn't really sell me on any aspect of this but I can't lie these next four totally got me. Love me some good 4D chess strategizing shounen. Mamoru Kanbe's directing is still really gimmicky (that back and forth "clock pendulum" pan at the start of ep 5 was just painful) and kinda distracting but it's gotten a lot more manageable since he stepped off storyboard duties. Props to Fukushima, the character animation has stayed pretty solid and it really sells all the twists so far (though ep 1 is still the highlight there admittedly). Never touched the manga so I don't know how it stacks up and judging by reactions around here I feel like I really don't want to know. Just let me enjoy my crazy mind games in peace
The thread for the anime itself has a more positive reception (after episode 3) if you want to post about it there.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The posts about detailed manga comparisons to critique the anime adaption of TPM is reminding me about the time someone relentlessly complained about the change in a character's facial expression in the first season of Attack on Titan in another forum, to the point that they got temp banned for not shutting up about it.

I didn't read the manga but TPM is nailing it with the timing and framing of its scenes. I get that same constant unease I usually feel from good horror material, and it's something I almost never feel with anime.

I'm also fine with Crone's exagerrated mannerisms because she always looks like she's one misstep away from crushing the children under her weight. Try to imagine how terrifying this must look from their perspective, because I've dealt with similarly unhinged adult figures (namely teachers) during my school years.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also fine with Crone's exagerrated mannerisms because she always looks like she's one misstep away from crushing the children under her weight. Try to imagine how terrifying this must look from their perspective, because I've dealt with similarly unhinged adult figures (namely teachers) during my school years.
The only clearly black character so far in the anime is being depicted like a clown. I don't dig this rationalization. In the manga, I was scared of it being the usual and it did have a delicate balance of almost falling on the wrong side sometimes but, in the end, I was pleasantly surprised that Krone wasn't treated as some caricature and was actually smart, intense, and sympathetic. That's rare.

Same can't be said for the anime. Overall, I think the anime is good, even if you haven't read the manga. But there are clear flaws.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read the manga but TPM is nailing it with the timing and framing of its scenes.

Couldn't disagree much more, except for the first episode and a few exceptions here and there. Though I dropped it after episode 4 anyway.

Having read the manga in the meantime, what I find the most interesting is that the disappointment some had in the style and tone of the OP feels really weird. Because, god damn, is that manga "shonen as fuck". If anything, the OP is the anime's best asset.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Boogiepop 8

It looks like things are ramping up. The animation quality was also got a little boost which is nice to see. This show has been scratching the right itch for me when it comes to mystery shows. We're also gonna get 5 episodes of Boogie next week as well so I'm looking forward to that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fF8n7abl.jpg

inside voices pls

Some of it is definitely the source material with the kids acting like idiots and Don punching and screaming at 2am in the morning. Some of it though is also without question the direction in that it's either confusing because it's cutting out/skipping details necessary to figure out what's happening or unintentionally displaying the kids out to be idiotic.

Case for the anime highlighting the stupidity of the characters:
6OEUDYkl.jpg

This particular framing doesn't happen in the manga so let's analyze it a bit. First off, the storyboarding is trying to highlight both how the kids are entrapped and how somebody might be listening, increasing an atmosphere of paranoia. All of this might be good in a neutral setting. Here's the problem though, it makes the kids themselves look like idiots. They're holding a candlelight vigil in the middle of the night where anyone can see them. This entire scene happens in the hallway in the manga which while still has issues in terms of volume in that anybody might be able to hear them, it still looks less suspicious than meeting outside as a group. My hunch however is that the director did this for 'artistic reasons' in that they wanted the moonlight in the crying session. I understand they get caught and you could argue that this is foreshadowing or whatever but here's the issue, it's emphasizing how stupid the children are. That's a problem when the whole premise of the show relies on the kids being believable as super geniuses. The manga doesn't do this so while this scene is going on in the manga, you're not repeatedly thinking of how the group is just constantly fucking up even if they are.
PHP7glHl.jpg

The staff repeatedly do these long distance shots as a way of framing conversations and possibly inducing the notion of paranoia but by having the kids being reckless and talking out in the open, all I can think about is how the suspension of disbelief critical for the series is constantly being broken. If the show was diligent about presenting the children as being more careful such as either not talking out loud or using code words, then angles and framing like this might be great however instead it's backfiring and causing the opposite effect.

Case for the anime cutting material and as a result making things almost incoherent:
xFmdZ4Dl.jpg

This scene is almost incomprehensible in the anime and took reading the manga to figure out what they wanted to do. Flat out. First off, I didn't know Don and Gilda were going through the other entrance leading into the other room because the anime cut out the layout explaining what they planned to do.
686UIypl.png

That would have taken about a second to show so the excuse of time restraints isn't valid here. It's also worth mentioning that all the cutting back and forth between Mama's room and the library does not happen in the manga, which just serves to make a mess of both scenes. So I don't know what door they're opening in the below scene.
qDRtbqPl.jpg

The anime doesn't articulate whether they're opening the first or second door. Hell, I have no clue where the pair are in relation to Mama because they never established the couple's position. Even worse, Mama doesn't possibly hear them opening the door in the manga while here she does which throws everything about this scene into chaos. Why? Because of the key sequence.
X34hAFtl.jpg

The anime never explains how the kid gets the key and you have to just assume they planted the key before going into the room.
G2TKbnWl.png

In the manga, they either could have planted the key before going into the secret room or planted the key afterwards. Both are plausible situations in the manga as Mama didn't hear them. Mama in the anime almost immediately suspects something is off after Don runs into her and hears the clicking of one of the doors which again reinforces my previous point about the anime highlighting the stupidity of the children. In the manga she doesn't notice anything askew until the kid returns the key to her. By trying to up the tension and not doing the necessary groundwork, the whole scene comes off both as unbelievable and unnecessarily difficult to understand. I have to assume something that is roundabout and critical for the scene to function.

Also Krone got done dirty. lol

Thanks for explaining this. I was super confused as to how Don and Gilda got out of that scene. I thought they were just behind that fake bookshelf the whole time and somehow got out without Mama noticing despite being just in front of the bookshelf a scene earlier.

So yeah, the anime cutting out some scenes from the manga is making things overly confusing for no reason. This coming from an anime only viewer.

And sucks to hear about Krone. She seems like a joke character in the anime somewhat, so it's interesting to hear she's the complete opposite in the manga.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Promised Neverland 06
Call it nitpicking but how the duo went from the above to concluding they were being lied to feels very much artificial. As far as you know she's selling kids to "bad" people for years. The above should be pretty obvious then and in no way goes against the lie Emma spun.
It wasn't the first or the second time the series but the way the cast showed yet again complete lack of conspirational awareness, screaming out in the night, discussing their stuff 5 meters from house with lights on just robbed me of what suspension of disbelief I still posessed.And as I don' t think they are doing anything interesting with the actual technical execution of the prison break, I'm just going to drop it.

Kakegurui XX 01-06
"Oh no we've run out of fodder to job to Yumeko."
"Let's just introduce the next batch"
"Amazing idea !"

But you know what.

It's okay.

Because she's here.

Again.
And who in their right mind would need more ?

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Boogiepop and Others Episode 8:

I suspect that this is not the last we shall be hearing of the Towa Organization as we learn they gave to goal of observing change to Spooky E.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Spring
Attack on Titan season 3 part 2
Fruit's Basket
Carole & Tuesday
Chihayafuru 3
One Punch Man Season 2
Kono Oto Tomare!

Summer
Dr. Stone

Fall
My Hero Academia season 4

not sure when they air but are in 2019
Vinland Saga
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen (I'm curious how it will compare to the original)
Most likely the next Dragon Ball Series
Cop Craft (not a fan of the girl's design, but I like Shoji Gatoh's works such as full metal panic and amagi brilliant park)
Enen no Shouboutai (new series from the soul eater creator)
Ace of Diamond season 2
Haikyuu!! season whatever they are on

I think the rest of the stuff I'm interested in such as girls in a dungeon season 2 aren't confirmed for 2019 at all.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Done with Violet Evergarden 10,11,12 and 13

Episode 10 being the best of the batch and the time lapse in the end was pretty well done, the rest of the episodes well, not so much , Violet looked so broken after 8 and 9 episodes and had to use the older brother to make her gain composture in one episode.

Also what happened with those loose ends,

The anime didnt explain how she gained the arms, those thing could block a huge ballistic bullet all of sudden.

The Mayor wishes Violet to be adopted by the Mayor family instead of the evergarden which could totally change the plot if that happened on the first episode.

Did Violet became cripped on the left hand and what she wrote on the paper on Episode 13

And what happened to the Evergarden anyway, is Violet gonna be their successor when they die?

I want to believe the special episode wont continue the part on the small house, just a filler

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, speaking of Kimetsu no Yaiba, just saw this on twitter:

They don't have the same voice actor but Tanjirou kinda sounds like Midoriya (although it might just be the screaming/emotional voice)... Not the image I had in my mind when reading the manga haha. I like the art and the colours though.

The link in tweet says they'll show episodes 1 to 5 on the big screen in 11 theatres in Japan for two weeks starting on 29th of March btw.

I dislike what I saw of manga art but Ufotable managed to make it look quite fetching while still (seemingly) faithful. Hope it can deliver.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kakegurui XX 01-06
"Oh no we've run out of fodder to job to Yumeko."
"Let's just introduce the next batch"
"Amazing idea !"

But you know what.

It's okay.

Because she's here.

Again.

And who in their right mind would need more ?

The art shift on Yumeko's face after Yumemite gives up is absolutely priceless and the moment of the season so far. She's been on the sideline way too much of this season so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
The Cost Of Smiles Episode 7:

Right, the whole series should have been about the imperial special forces here since they are not only interesting but they also possess more then one brain cell.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Started watching anime again this year after a long ass time. So far I watched/binged:

Attack on Titan S1-S3
I'm not prepared for what's coming.
My Hero Academica S1-S3
These fight scenes and animations are insane.
Love is War 1-4
How cute.
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 1-6
So far my favorite of the bunch I watched. The writing and characters surprised me.

Going to plow through the top 10 2018 of era.

Any other recommendations?

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I was fine dunking on episode 3, but this really is nitpicking at this point. At wait, you have read the manga?
Nitpicking is when your critique is shallow, which is to say you're complaining about things that aren't important. The Promised Neverland is a thriller/prison-break story. Jarmel is saying Prison-Break element of the series is flawed, which is to say he's critiquing a core tenant of the show. Therefore, it isn't nitpicking.

Prison-break stories are contingent on character encountering obstacles, planning to overcome them, encountering difficulties, and either thwarting those difficulties with cunning/quick thinking or being defeated by those problems. These obstacles are constructed logically and have to defeated with logical thought. That;s the rule for this genre. In different genres, different kinds of things are acceptable.

For example, it may be acceptable for a character in a shounen action series to overcome a foe (obstacle) by getting stronger through sheer force of will, it wouldn't be satisfying if the kids in TPN wished so hard they gained the strength to break through the wall. It wouldn't be in keeping with the rest of the series.

In order for the characters in TPN to overcome their obstacles, they have to solve them with logic, because that's how the genre works. Logic means that things have to be connected to each other and affect each other in predictable way. We can't "skip steps" because then the logic breaks away, and the show becomes incoherent. It's not satisfying to the viewers if one day the kids in TPN just decide they've solved all their problems and can then escape tomorrow - we need to know how they worked out all the steps they would take and why.

Yet, in this adaptation they keep robbing us of these key logical connections which is completely unacceptable when it's all their in the manga.
For what it's worth, this is the only community I've seen that seems to have a consensus negative reaction to the anime of The Promised Neverland. I've been posting about my group watch of the anime in the TPN anime thread, and their reactions have been very positive, which is what caused me to reevaluate my reactions to episode 3 and how I've been looking at the anime adaptation in general.
All that goes to show is that different people have different opinions over a piece of media, which isn't particularly revelatory.

Jarmel's critiques of the series don't negate other people's enjoyment of the work. Likewise, their enjoyment of the series does not negate or even address his critiques.

In general, this thread thread (at least historically) tends to be more critical of anime then certain other places on the internet.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
posted in the toonami thread but

Laura Bailey is officially coming back to anime to reprise her role in fruits basket.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Started watching anime again this year after a long ass time. So far I watched/binged:

Attack on Titan S1-S3
I'm not prepared for what's coming.
My Hero Academica S1-S3
These fight scenes and animations are insane.
Love is War 1-4
How cute.
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 1-6
So far my favorite of the bunch I watched. The writing and characters surprised me.

Going to plow through the top 10 2018 of era.

Any other recommendations?
Hard to recommend some other titles without knowing when you stopped watching anime, do you have Anilist/MAL, or can you indicate a year when you dropped off?

Oct 25, 2017
I wish these crossovers actually got into the actual shows. Would be awesome to have ygo and monstrike in the next monstrike season.

Also what is the cashiers name, Im 100% sure Ive seen him in shows before.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Ugh I'm having such a hard time finishing Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Julian struggling to find his stride isn't really that enjoyable and the direction they seem to be taking this Reuenthal rebellion they have been hinting at for this whole series doesn't engross me either. Only think I'm kind of interested in is if the freulein finally gets her manchild to settle down with her but I don't really have faith that it's going to progress at a nice pace.

I mean I have 20 episodes left in this 110 episode series so it should be easy to power though but it's amazing what one character getting written out can do to your enjoyment of a series.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched Violet Evergarden special

Meh episode, I love how they did not care about the LATAM VAs they just put a male voice for the female structor who talked like 6 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.