• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible for someone to be a hero and at some point in their story become the villains or do villainous things. That's what happened to them.

I was so glad when all of them died and Rustal and Julieta defeated them. I was ok with Kudelia and Atra living, Tekkadan had become misguided and needed to be completely destroyed and it rightfully was.

I never finished the series. Maybe there's some turn in the last 8 episodes to justify this? Where I was, they were fine. Sometimes blood is shed in a revolution. I certainly didn't feel bad for any of the military people they killed, like what's her face.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Absolutely. My favorite arc in the manga remains my favorite arc here. The action stuff is great, don't get me wrong, but this stuff right here is why the series became my favorite.
I just read the chapter this covered and it feels extremely rare for me to say this but the anime staff completely elevated the material. A number of small tweaks resulted in significant emotional moments.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Mob Psycho 100 II Episode 7
Excellent episode. I thought Reigen losing his cool during the TV show was a bit out of character but the rest was great.
My take is that Mob has always known Reigen had no powers. After all, he is able to identify other psychics, spirits etc. without fail so it would be only logical that he knew.
Maybe when they first met he had some doubts whether he was hiding his powers but after Reigen telling him what he needed to hear he decided to stick with him even if he realised that he was a fake that very same day.
It's just that he is the fake that can help him in his moments of need. With all the good and bad that this entails.
A bit like kids already knowing that there's no Santa but not being sure whether spilling the beans about them knowing just in case they would get fewer presents as a result.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I love about the Mob Psycho 100 anime is that Bones really takes advantage of the simple character models to give them so much nuance and emotion with just a single look or action. A lot of anime never bother with this or can't for a variety of reasons but its one of those things that really make the difference. Just simple emotional scenes where a character is choking up or trying to hide their emotions reads so much more clear than a lot its contemporaries even if they're far more in your face about things.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Mob II 07

lul Knew he'd get a slap on the wrist. Back to the Flip Flappers dustbin you go.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo - 07

That episode was as dull and its interspecies romance and general plot pure drivel.

h1Ct8b1.jpg

"Why don't all of us demons and humans just hold hands and become friends?"

I don't know what it is with this show but there isn't an iota of strong storytelling pertaining to the weekly demons.

The worst thing must've been the dialog and pointless waiting in front of the escape path.

"You go and escape."
"You come too. I mean, they know you now. You wanna die?"
"Oh right. That's true, they'll probably make an example out of me, huh? (Read: they'll torture me, huh?) Well, alright then, guess I'll come with you...and I got shot by 4 arrows because we were drinking some tea here, whoops."

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Mob Psycho 100 II - 07
An outstanding episode in what has already been an incredible season. This was easily one of my favorites in the entire show so far, and proves that Mob as a series is more than capable of both breathtaking action sequences AND genuinely heartwarming emotional beats. Bones is really knocking it out of the park.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
My take is that Mob has always known Reigen had no powers. After all, he is able to identify other psychics, spirits etc. without fail so it would be only logical that he knew.

But he doesn't act like he knows whatsoever and I refuse to believe that he's some great actor that fooled Reigen about that all along.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I never finished the series. Maybe there's some turn in the last 8 episodes to justify this? Where I was, they were fine. Sometimes blood is shed in a revolution. I certainly didn't feel bad for any of the military people they killed, like what's her face.
Kinda the fact that in the season 2, despite all that stuff with them championing how child soldiers is a awful thing and they wanted to save kids from that, they become the biggest users and exploiters of child soldiers and send kids to their deaths? You don't get to play the noble savior of child soldiers while using them yourself.

This is besides some other unsavory things that happen.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda the fact that in the season 2, despite all that stuff with them championing how child soldiers is a awful thing and they wanted to save kids from that, they become the biggest users and exploiters of child soldiers and send kids to their deaths? You don't get to play the noble savior of child soldiers while using them yourself.

This is besides some other unsavory things that happen.

My recollection was they actually wanted to fight for Tekkadan. There's a difference between being asked and being drafted.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I refuse to believe that he's some great actor that fooled Reigen about that all along
Be my guest. :)
People will got to incredible lengths, even lie to themselves if that puts them in a more comfortable position. Mob could have been telling himself that maybe Reigen has some kind of power even if deep inside he knows he doesn't.
Today's episode was just the moment to face the truth and accept it for what it is. That even if Reigen is a fake and a jerk he has generally had the words for Mob to move forward.
Does this make him a good person? No. Does this make him the person Mob needed and couldn't find elsewhere? Absolutely.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
nholJPfl.jpg

Since I dogged on Promised Neverland so much, let me talk about a good adaptation for once. This week's Mob episode did a number of minor changes that really enhanced the material. One of the things that most sticks out to me is the second email from the mother.
This wasn't in the manga but it's a great addition. It not only enhances the emotional pressure Reigen is under, as your parents can make you feel like shit in ways no other humans can, but also serves as a followup to the email in the previous episode. This is a two second addition but again significantly enriches the material.
Another would be the character animation and direction in this scene when Reigen is running away. This overall scene is in the manga but by showing Reigen slowing down, it's representative of his emotional state in that he's just getting worn down and tired of all of this.
There's this frame which is done from a third-person perspective in the manga but by having it take up the entire frame, it puts the real life viewers into Reigen audience's perspective. It also serves to highlight the comedic place-card with the armadillos and the comedy of all these people screaming just getting abruptly cut off. Just a split second but it adds a bit of spunk not previously there.
Finally there's this bit which is the emotional highlight of this cour. Even besides the character animation, the direction and storyboarding itself is spectacular. Note how Reigen and Mob are in the same part of the frame which visually denotes how they've made up.
Reigen almost crying isn't in the manga at all.
It's played off almost like a joke or sigh of relief in the manga and here the staff twisted the scene into something that feels like a culmination of not only Reigen's struggles but Mob's as well. Props to the director too for using the volume mixing to their advantage by initially playing the song at a lower volume and when the emotional moments happens to increase it. There's the camera rotation too of young Mob back to Reigen which is a great way of visually showing how Mob has been Reigen's driving force.
E4QeqS6l.jpg

Just a bunch of minor things that add up to creating something special.

Last edited:

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Slime 20

Oh man, the manga did that meeting so much better! It's to be expected with the licensed materials (Last of the Lustrious showed up instead).

Also didn't they just skip a ton of shit? Commerce/Ambassador Exchange with the Beast Nation and Rimuru leveling up at the guild was all skipped.

Guess they are getting worried about fitting everything in for the 26th episode?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Mob Pyscho S2 7
I am glad that Mob was the one who saved Reigen's ass, while you might think this is to reinstate the status-quo with how his fraudulence won't be questioned by the public, it is ultimatley about what Mob and Reigen think about each other. Mob has shown he won't take all the shit Reigen talks about and knows what makes him a good friend too. Reigen realizes that Mob is the reason he could go on in life and that his charade alone won't keep him afloat.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not sure what to make of the show being somewhat ambiguous whether Mob does or doesn't know that Reigen has no spiritual powers. I mean, he clearly didn't at least up to these recent events. Whether he figured it out now is left to our imagination and turns into a cliché "it doesn't actually matter, what's really important is that you're a good guy" dialog. I would've liked to see Reigen come clean and Mob scolding him at least a bit for that (because, hey, lying about that for so long is not actually cool). Would also be nice if the two can do their job without the Reigen's shitty pretense. But yeh, maybe I'm supposed to interpret that Mob does definitely know it now and that dynamic will henceforth change. I'd certainly appreciate that.
It would be nice if the show moved past it but I doubt it. What was important though for Mob when he was a kid wasn't for Reigen to be some all-knowing psychic. This is a child that just seriously hurt both his brother and some strangers. He wanted to know he wasn't a bad person more than anything else and Reigen was that light. Whether Reigen has powers or not doesn't matter so much as just having someone to care about you.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 6
I love creepy Kaguya so Ishigami is a great addiction to the series, the building joke of him wanting to leave every time he is roasted/feels threatened is also good
Also what was that animation in the flower part? It seemed different

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why it's so important that Reigen "gets his due" or whatever for being a conman. It's not like he actually conned anybody in a bad way, and Mob Psycho doesn't take this kind of material with a straight face. Whenever it's dealing with the 'mundane' stuff, it's more in line with showa era comedies like Doraemon, with scummy characters played for laughs and a generally absurd way to look at daily life (e.g. Reigen getting national-level popular in 2 days for clearing a videogame is something that wouldn't be out of place in a Simpsons episode, as someone said here the previous week).

Yes, his relationship with Mob had a significant component of dishonesty to it, and that's the only really pressing thing about Reigen as a bad guy to be addressed. Whether he pretended to exorcise a picture with Photoshop or made a client think a massage was a spiritual thing doesn't really matter in the context of MP's tone and I don't think the narrative calls for any sort of retribution or whatever.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Slime 20

Oh man, the manga did that meeting so much better! It's to be expected with the licensed materials (Last of the Lustrious showed up instead).

Also didn't they just skip a ton of shit? Commerce/Ambassador Exchange with the Beast Nation and Rimuru leveling up at the guild was all skipped.

Guess they are getting worried about fitting everything in for the 26th episode?
They skipped alot because the main story ends on episode 23 (bummer that they had to skip the journey to the capital). Episode 24 and 25, one of those will be an anime only story and the other will be Veldora's diary.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Kemono Friends episode 6

How the fuck did
Kaban and Serval not remember each other? Come on!

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
They skipped alot because the main story ends on episode 23 (bummer that they had to skip the journey to the capital). Episode 24 and 25, one of those will be an anime only story and the other will be Veldora's diary.

With three episodes left, I'm kinda curious where they'll end up, ehm, ending it. I didn't expect Rimuru to meet the kids in this episode.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Mob Pyscho 100 S2 7

Absolutely amazing episode. The show of the season keeps on delivering. Loved when Reigen tried to defend himself online and was immediately asked if he was Reigen. Reigen is a fantastic character and his relationship with Mob is one of the highlights of the whole series.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The Promised Neverland 06

Yeah, it's impossible to tell how they got out of that room. Also, good job running outside with lanterns and having a big emotional moment that no one can overhear.

Oct 27, 2017
Dororo 7
A very generic yet heartwarming episode but a welcome one after the last two episodes. I needed this recovery and I liked how this episode was like the opposite of the last one in that a guy who is risking his life to protect people got the chance to escape with his love interest.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Kemono Friends episode 6

How the fuck did
Kaban and Serval not remember each other? Come on!

Its foreshadowed in the episode that one of them was eaten and revived (likely Serval), which makes their reuinon extremely sad since Serval is clearly trying to remember her and Kaban is sad to see her go.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro 44
Perhaps an episode that skirts some of the darker territory of other episodes this season, but on the whole it's a bit lighter fair. It's interesting that they chose a male idol for a glance at parts of that industry, from the fake identity some participants have to adopt and how that must mess with their sense of self after a while, and some of the seedier sides of fame and what it makes people capable of doing to others. There's an undeniable sense that this episode was at least spurred in part by the assault on Maho Yamaguchi and resulting indictment of the industry's response to the incident. While it may not address those specific topics directly, there's an tenable sense that the writers wanted to paint a much bleaker picture of the industry than you normally see in shows like this, with particular attention paid to the subjects of artificial personas crafted for fan appeal and the predatory nature of some inside the business. While not as heavy as some recent episodes in the end because those themes aren't the foci of the episode itself, it's still kind of shocking to see a rebuttal of some aspects of the idol/entertainment industry aimed at such a young audience. But considering they most likely are tuned into social media from a very young age, it seems relatively fitting to be upfront about the ugliness behind the glamour.

Mysteria Friends 5
Lol, seeing Anne be too OP is rather fun, if nothing else! A decent short, though a bit lacking on the action front given the premise of the episode, though the series has never actually proven itself in that regard more than the occasional spell firing off. I'm kind of surprised at how Grea fights; I thought they'd take more advantage of her being able to fly to circle around her enemies a bit more even if her being melee focused isn't too much of a shock. It's a shame we didn't get to see Anne and Grea really fight together here, but hopefully we might get that at some point before the end of the show. At least everyone acknowledging Anne's magic as problematic in this scenario was amusing, given that seems in line both with that we've seen in the show and what I know of her in the games she's in. I do wish the series' visual flair would return to the level of the first couple of episodes, but I think I should abandon hope of that after three sub-par episodes in a row.

Mob Psycho 100 II 7
An excellent conclusion to the last episode, and a really fantastic look at Reigen and why he's so compelling. Reigen has always been the most interesting part of Mob; hell, I'd go as far to say that from what I've seen he's probably the most well realized character I've seen from ONE. Writing Reigen as a con man with no redeeming qualities would have been very easy: his business and demeanor paint him as this exploitative shark who can and will convince anyone to part with what they have for a problem they may not have nor could he solve if they did. And while that's true, there's always been this undeniable kind streak that runs through Reigen that seems counter to much of the rest of his character, though how much it shines through varies from time to time.

It's interesting watching Reigen being broken in a way that he can't necessarily talk his way out of. We've been used to seeing him act his way out of what feels like overwhelming situations before, but when he's backed against a wall with no where to go, it's fascinating watching him slowly come to terms with how screwed he really is. The small hints toward his troubled relationship with his parents or having no social network to reach out to really sells how isolating it can be for someone who makes a living out of selling assurances and little else. And when everything is on the line, being reminded that the only reason he is where is now is because of Mob coming into his life and how casually he had used him until Mob stopped being in his life... really says a lot more about Reigen than you would expect. Him reaching out to say he was sorry in the middle of the press conference, with little expectation of any response, does highlight that underneath all the awful things Reigen is capable of, Mob's characterization of him at the end of the episode is actually correct.

Some really excellent additions as per Jarmel's post that I wouldn't have noticed since I'm not familiar with the manga, but they really did make a noticeable difference in the quality of the episode overall. It's funny to see Mob get to a place and tone that feels like something out of Sangatsu no Lion at times, but it's another example of just how much an adaptation can elevate already good material with a change in perspective.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand why it's so important that Reigen "gets his due" or whatever for being a conman. It's not like he actually conned anybody in a bad way, and Mob Psycho doesn't take this kind of material with a straight face. Whenever it's dealing with the 'mundane' stuff, it's more in line with showa era comedies like Doraemon, with scummy characters played for laughs and a generally absurd way to look at daily life (e.g. Reigen getting national-level popular in 2 days for clearing a videogame is something that wouldn't be out of place in a Simpsons episode, as someone said here the previous week).

Yes, his relationship with Mob had a significant component of dishonesty to it, and that's the only really pressing thing about Reigen as a bad guy to be addressed. Whether he pretended to exorcise a picture with Photoshop or made a client think a massage was a spiritual thing doesn't really matter in the context of MP's tone and I don't think the narrative calls for any sort of retribution or whatever.
I honestly don't have a problem with Reigen's profession, there's some great points they make about how people behave under inexplicable paranoia but it's more to do with how he took advantage of Mob. It goes against the whole 'great mentor' image that season 1 and parts of season 2 frames him as, only gets me to roll my eyes. I'll have to watch the latest episode to see how this aspect is tackled entirely, episode 6 showed that they were conscious of it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dororo 07

This episode ended way too happily compared to the last one.

I also wish they'd make it clearer if he actually understands what people are saying. I assume he gets the gist of things at least.

I also thought he had to kill specific demons to get his parts back. Is it just any random demon instead?

Compared to the stellar last couple of episodes, this one was the weakest for sure.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Mob Psycho and Kaguya are taking this season from a C- to a B- singlehandedly for me.

When this season ends I'm going to do a survey asking for best and worst shows, hottest mess, biggest surprise, best animation, and overall ranking the season.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Kemono Friends s2 06

So Kaban still remembers Serval but Serval was probably absorbed by one of the monsters at some point and has forgotten her. Sad. Interesting that they're sorta retconning the monsters being afraid of water and the introduction of Beasts makes this a whole lot more dangerous because Tiger is clearly out to kill.

Kotobuki Hikoutai 06

Kylie gets herself in a spot of trouble which leads to my favorite episode of the show thus far. Absolutely amazing 1v1 dogfight followed up by a cute series of flashback where we learn a bit about Kylie and where her love of flying comes from.

Oct 27, 2017
So what is Kemono Friends about and should I watch it?

It has been recommended to me many times but I never sat down and watched it. I might as well watch it and see what it is after I start watching Shigurui.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This season I've been watching:
  • Mob Psycho 100 II
  • Run with the Wind
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero
  • Dororo
  • Sword Art Online Alicization
  • Kaguya-sama: Love is War
  • The Promised Neverland
I must say though the clear winner so far this season for me is, to no surprise going into it, Mob Psycho. Specially yesterday's episode. The show has evolved into such a great coming of age story

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think what makes me like Kaguya-sama is that it is taking the com part of romcom seriously, I hope this continues and it doesn't have bad drama in the future. Not that I dislike drama, but drama in romcoms are usually terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
I think what makes me like Kaguya-sama is that it is taking the com part of romcom seriously, I hope this continues and it doesn't have bad drama in the future. Not that I dislike drama, but drama in romcoms are usually terrible.
As someone who read the manga to the last chapter, trust me when I say this, it gets better and better in the drama department.

Oct 25, 2017
This season I've been watching:
  • Mob Psycho 100 II
  • Run with the Wind
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero
  • Dororo
  • Sword Art Online Alicization
  • Kaguya-sama: Love is War
  • The Promised Neverland
I must say though the clear winner so far this season for me is, to no surprise going into it, Mob Psycho. Specially yesterday's episode. The show has evolved into such a great coming of age story
Best shows of the new season, to me, are

The Rising of the Shield Hero
My Roommate is a Cat
W'z
Morose Mononokean

Returning shows
Sword Art Online Alicilization
FutureCard Buddyfight ACEs
neo new Cardfight!! Vanguard
BeyBLade Burst Turbo (chouzetsu)
HInomaru Zumou
Run With The Wind
BLack Clover

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Any standout this season?

My partner and I caught up on Kaguya-sama this weekend and loved it. It's a great romantic comedy, one of the better ones I've watched that lean more towards comedy.

Other than that we're just watching JoJo and Alicization, looking for some more stuff.

Is Shield Hero worth checking out? I heard there's some questionable stuff like
Rape accusations?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My partner and I caught up on Kaguya-sama this weekend and loved it. It's a great romantic comedy, one of the better ones I've watched that lean more towards comedy.

Other than that we're just watching JoJo and Alicization, looking for some more stuff.

Rape accusations?
Watch Mob Psycho

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, if you want to handwave it like that, you should also discount most of the rest of Mob Psycho, even the S1 ending, since it's written in a similarly humourous way. Reigen being a liar and a thief is what is what he is, is what the show has clearly shown him to be and what even the script itself (finally) acknowledged for a moment and took seriously. That it then predictably didn't have the balls to go through with it and made Reigen into 'did nothing wrong but massaged people for 4 years' character should not change that. It makes it worse if anything. And it matters because the show by and large portrays him in a positive light not even shying away from positioning him in moral ascendancy or spouting moral lessons meant to be taken seriously. The series finally had an opportunity to adress the issue and it utterly botched it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017

Rape accusations?
Shield Hero is not questionable, it's beyond problematic from the false rape accusations ( I can't express enough how much this disgusts me, with how horrible our society is with dealing with rape and this show/LN trying to portray women as liars who make false claims only to fuck over men for gain) to slavery to even both siding slavery. There are more problematic elements, but I think that should give you the basic gist.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Shield Hero is not questionable, it's beyond problematic from the false rape accusations ( I can't express enough how much this disgusts me, with how horrible our society is with dealing with rape and this show/LN trying to portray women as liars who make false claims only to fuck over men for gain) to slavery to even both siding slavery. There are more problematic elements, but I think that should give you the basic gist.
It's only portraying one woman as a liar facilitated by her shit head dad.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
What I've heard about Shield Hero is problematic to the point that I have trouble justifying my continued Crunchyroll premium member status over it.
Yeah that's enough for a hard pass from me.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Mob Psycho 100 II 07

Mmmmmm this episode is really well made. Reigen's character gets through interestingly from a visual point of view, there's cuts of various perspectives while he's on TV, reinforcing the pivotal nature of his appearance or the state of his mind. I can definitely see why some of the posters think he's really well portrayed in this episode and Mob's return to him, restoring his reputation is super well done even in terms of the writing buuuuut that's me looking at this arc in isolation. It's Reigen realizing the kind of mess he is in and that it was his own doing. Timing this with Mob's rescue is great but I am not buying this as any form of 'redemption' arc or that the past is settled. At best, even though it doesn't entirely come across as such, the arc implicates that any 'great mentor' moment the show portrayed him in the past were just Mob's perspective than the show saying that he's a great mentor. I can't say it changes my views of Reigen's glorification retroactively but this was at the very least an interesting perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.