• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
April needs to get here fast, and GLAY returns, still hope we also get Tom-H@ck. I need my PERFECT HERO

The official website for the rock band Glay announced on Wednesday that the group is performing the opening theme song for the anime adaptation of Yūji Terajima's Ace of Diamond Act II (Daiya no A Act II) sequel manga. The band's vocalist Teru is writing the song. The website also revealed the series will premiere on TV Tokyo on April 2. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-of-diamond-act-ii-anime-opening-song/.143634

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you want to handwave it like that, you should also discount most of the rest of Mob Psycho, even the S1 ending, since it's written in a similarly humourous way. Reigen being a liar and a thief is what is what he is, is what the show has clearly shown him to be and what even the script itself (finally) acknowledged for a moment and took seriously. That it then predictably didn't have the balls to go through with it and made Reigen into 'did nothing wrong but massaged people for 4 years' character should not change that. It makes it worse if anything. And it matters because the show by and large portrays him in a positive light not even shying away from positioning him in moral ascendancy or spouting moral lessons meant to be taken seriously. The series finally had an opportunity to adress the issue and it utterly botched it.
I'm saying that it's weird in the first place to have the expectation that this is something that should be addressed in a show like this. It's not handwaving it away, only seeing the nature of MP100 and taking its portrayal of things like Reiner conning people with that context in mind. What the script acknowledged as something serious was the situation between Reigen and Mob, not Reigen being a fake which was mostly played humorously and as a setup for the interpersonal payoff at the end of the episode. I mean, it's like whern the woman in the episode goes all "should we join the victim group?" and her boyfriend is like "but we aren't victims..."

If this is something so detrimental to the show, I wonder what you think about Dimple who was straight up evil and has now become a cute sidekick people cheer for.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Something that just came to mind is that this recent episode of Mob portrays the S1 ending in a bit of a new light in that was it the right thing for Mob to withdraw and hide behind Reigen? This episode posits that it was a bad thing and that Mob needs to face those sort of hard decisions and decide the right answer for himself rather than avoiding the problem to begin with.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying that it's weird in the first place to have the expectation that this is something that should be addressed in a show like this. It's not handwaving it away, only seeing the nature of MP100 and taking its portrayal of things like Reiner conning people with that context in mind. What the script acknowledged as something serious was the situation between Reigen and Mob, not Reigen being a fake which was mostly played humorously and as a setup for the interpersonal payoff at the end of the episode. I mean, it's like whern the woman in the episode goes all "should we join the victim group?" and her boyfriend is like "but we aren't victims..."

If this is something so detrimental to the show, I wonder what you think about Dimple who was straight up evil and has now become a cute sidekick people cheer for.

But the show itself made it a serious topic within episode 6 and 7? To finally address that and even initially portray Reigen in a much worse light makes the lackluster conclusion all the more disappointing. Reigen was more mean-spirited than ever towards Mob, we were shown that he didn't mind scamming easy to exploit folks (the ones at the bar) and it even turns out Reigen was actually a friendless 'loser' of sorts with his charisma little more than a facade?

All the show then needed to do was to actually admit that a lot of what Reigen did was genuinely bad and isn't justified by offering some nice words to a child. But it turned back towards this halfbaked "benign scamming" narrative which, yeh, can hardly be taken seriously. What followed was the usual notion that Reigen's advice to kid Mob was extremely formative and he represented a positive role to Mob which, as nice as it is, has been portrayed a dozen time prior.

It just feels like a somewhat pointless excursion. Now, if Reigen does actually change his ways significantly now, then I won't mind it too much. In that case, I'll assume that Reigen did view his actions as problematic and tries to become a better person. If he keeps acting like he has psychic powers (towards Mob, I understand that it's better for clients/mob to keep the spiel up), doesn't respect Mobs schedules, pays him a pittance and so forth then fuck that.

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
But the show itself made it a serious topic within episode 6 and 7? To finally address that and even initially portray Reigen in a much worse light makes the lackluster conclusion all the more disappointing. Reigen was more mean-spirited than ever towards Mob, we were shown that he didn't mind scamming easy to exploit folks (the ones at the bar) and it even turns out Reigen was actually a friendless 'loser' of sorts with his charisma little more than a facade?
What part was made serious? The break-up and its subsequent effects on Reigen, or the fact that he's been a fraud and "acting immorally" to the community, his clients, or whatever? I posit that it's only the former. And not because the show really tries making some sort of point that being a conman is okay, but because this part of the premise never leaves the realm of silly mundane comedy all throughout the show. It's shown not just by the comedic elements in these episodes (beating a videogame as a catalyst for Reigen's rise, the unrealistic popularity explosion and backlash, the press conference, etc), but also as I tried to point out by the fact that nothing really "serious" comes out of these antics that is somehow buried by the show. For example, you say he didn't mind scamming the weirdos at the bar, but in reality he just went there to talk to them and even gave advice for avoiding other scams. He doesn't try to pull anything, and the same pattern repeats throughout all the assignments we've seen before. Reigen rarely does anything genuinely contemptible, even if he is presented as a shady swindler. Really I just see this particular aspect of the show and character as a non-issue.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
What followed was the usual notion that Reigen's advice to kid Mob was extremely formative and he represented a positive role to Mob which, as nice as it is, has been portrayed a dozen time prior.
IIRC this is where the flashback is first shown in the source material. So that may explain while it may feel a little redundant.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC this is where the flashback is first shown in the source material. So that may explain while it may feel a little redundant.

Oh really? It would've certainly been a much more poignant scene here if it was its first appearance.

I can easily understand why they'd want that scene earlier in the adaptation to portray their relationship but as a result, it really lessens the impact here for me.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you want to handwave it like that, you should also discount most of the rest of Mob Psycho, even the S1 ending, since it's written in a similarly humourous way. Reigen being a liar and a thief is what is what he is, is what the show has clearly shown him to be and what even the script itself (finally) acknowledged for a moment and took seriously. That it then predictably didn't have the balls to go through with it and made Reigen into 'did nothing wrong but massaged people for 4 years' character should not change that. It makes it worse if anything. And it matters because the show by and large portrays him in a positive light not even shying away from positioning him in moral ascendancy or spouting moral lessons meant to be taken seriously. The series finally had an opportunity to adress the issue and it utterly botched it.

I don't believe the show is handwaving anything and actually think the resolution to this last arc is very much in line with both the themes of the show such as empathy, forgiveness, non aggression as well as being fitting and in character for all those involved. We just came off an arc where Mob did a good amount of self discovery and came to the realization that no one is worthless, everyone can change especially thanks to the positive relationships in your life. Reigen didn't change his whole tune but he acknowledged Mob's growth as a person and in the process grew as a person as well. Really that's all a character like Mob is looking for and isn't interested in rubbing it in or getting some kind of "gotcha" moment.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

All the show then needed to do was to actually admit that a lot of what Reigen did was genuinely bad and isn't justified by offering some nice words to a child. But it turned back towards this halfbaked "benign scamming" narrative which, yeh, can hardly be taken seriously. What followed was the usual notion that Reigen's advice to kid Mob was extremely formative and he represented a positive role to Mob which, as nice as it is, has been portrayed a dozen time prior.

It just feels like a somewhat pointless excursion. Now, if Reigen does actually change his ways significantly now, then I won't mind it too much. In that case, I'll assume that Reigen did view his actions as problematic and tries to become a better person. If he keeps acting like he has psychic powers (towards Mob, I understand that it's better for clients/mob to keep the spiel up), doesn't respect Mobs schedules, pays him a pittance and so forth then fuck that.

Maybe I misunderstood that, but he didn't scam those people? He just said they were the type of people to get easily scammed.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Something that just came to mind is that this recent episode of Mob portrays the S1 ending in a bit of a new light in that was it the right thing for Mob to withdraw and hide behind Reigen? This episode posits that it was a bad thing and that Mob needs to face those sort of hard decisions and decide the right answer for himself rather than avoiding the problem to begin with.
That's the one upside I see that wasn't dashed by the last ep though I don't see it as something quite clear cut... yet. But already #5 is somewhat of a negation of that ending and with Mob's comment in previous episode and the return of the one character that criticised that decision I'm sort of hopeful.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think some people take Reigen a little more serious then probably the author does. Reigen is basically a flawed character like Homer Simpson created for comedy.

And like Homer, Reigen is a good person. At the end of day that's all that matters

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017

Reigen's scamming was never really meant to be the focus of these episodes. This entire situation is used to force him into realizing his mistakes with regards to Mob, and that's the main point here. I mean, the episode is even titled "Cornered ~True Identity~. His scamming isn't even presented as a flaw, just as the place he ended up on. The problem was his boredom and lack of direction. He fell into the psychic-thing on a whim, trying to be somebody, and actually wanted to quit after a year.

You're right, we already know how he's helped Mob, so it's a good thing the episode gave us the other side of that meeting. To show us how Mob affected Reigen, and Reigen realizing Mob is what's kept him going. Mob allows him to be somebody. Reigen was put in a bad light not because of his scamming but because he did wrong by Mob. It's telling that this is when the show starts putting Reigen in a negative light, when Mob starts doubting him and their relationship is strained. That's the most important thing here, Mob and Reigen's relationship. It starts and ends there.

Calling this a pointless excursion seems strange to me.

That's the one upside I see that wasn't dashed by the last ep though I don't see it as something quite clear cut... yet. But already #5 is somewhat of a negation of that ending and with Mob's comment in previous episode and the return of the one character that criticised that decision I'm sort of hopeful.

I mean, there's that moment in #6 where Mob admits to Ritsu he's been relying on Reigen too much, so I'd say it's been adressed pretty explicitly.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'll have more detailed impressions later, but Gundam NT was okay. Maybe too much of a retread, but good as a potential start of a new phase for the UC. Plus, a sweet teaser for Hathaway's Flash.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this arc makes it seem as though the show is at odds with itself in retrospect. It's weird but makes you think the rose tinted perspective towards Reigen's preaching and actions was mob's lack of growth.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what y'all are saying with regards to Mob Psycho II.

Reigen is a con-man in the sense that he pretends to have powers that he doesn't have. But he didn't hurt or abuse the people he took money from. For their non-ghost problems, he made them feel better with various techniques such as massage, photoshop etc. If they did actually have a real ghost problem that would get dealt with by Mob. Both of these outcomes are good for the people who had the problem, in most cases.

The person Reigen actually hurt and attempted to control was Mob. He was the one being exploited. This arc was about that relationship, not how Reigen dealt with his clients.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what y'all are saying with regards to Mob Psycho II.

Reigen is a con-man in the sense that he pretends to have powers that he doesn't have. But he didn't hurt or abuse the people he took money from. For their non-ghost problems, he made them feel better with various techniques such as massage, photoshop etc. .

He took money for doing something he didn't do. Thus, he scammed people. For 4 years. No amount of humourous veneer or the show's desperate backtracking from it, changes those simple facts. The latter makes it worse.

You'd probably catch me being hypocrite with some other character but in dimple case it's quite simple. The show never thrust him in the same role of some moral paragon and frequently acknowledges his ulterior motives still.
What the script acknowledged as something serious was the situation between Reigen and Mob, not Reigen being a fake
I'd argue that the fact that the show devoted whole episode to the issue, made Reigen into a target of country wide ire and made him himself reflect with regret on being a scam is enough to say it was being taken seriously.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
kaguya 6
i laughed so hard when fujiyama literally pulled ishigami out from under the desk. this show is a joy

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
He took money for doing something he didn't do. Thus, he scammed people. For 4 years. No amount of humourous veneer or the show's desperate backtracking from it, changes those simple facts. The latter makes it worse.
I mean, what do you reckon people who were not affected by actual spirits (in case it was a spirit, mob does resolve it, the basis of their relationship is definitely suspect!) consulting Reigen would have done if Reigen was not around? my guess: joined a cult, resort to shallow religious practices to quell their paranoia for the rest of their lives etc I just don't see it going anywhere better, they are not likely to visit a masseuse or a therapist(though he does offer advice as warning for the future) if they've already made up their minds about their problem, unless the argument is to convince people in a world where spirits and psychics actually exist(??!?!?) that their problem is not related to it. People are going stumble into these situations again eventually even if they were convinced once. It's simply not worth the effort. Not even counting the guy who wanted to curse someone. Reigen merely took money just as everyone else but offered the easiest way out the problem and the money isn't just him taking advantage but part of the conviction for the consultants.

I'd argue that the fact that the show devoted whole episode to the issue, made Reigen into a target of country wide ire and made him himself reflect with regret on being a scam is enough to say it was being taken seriously.
The show devoted a whole episode to show Reigen is nothing without Mob.

I honestly cannot believe I'm defending Reigen because I couldn't help but roll my eyes over every instance of the show putting him on a pedestal for being a "good mentor" for Mob. Buuuuut I just think his profession is an unfortunate anomaly of society, the way it functions, our inability to resolve or even understand intra-personal or inter-personal conflicts, the need for fast paced lifestyle, it's ugly but the least you could do is not put the spotlight on it. The press conference was to see if Reigen was a fraud, not the legitimacy of psychics as a whole.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
What part was made serious? The break-up and its subsequent effects on Reigen, or the fact that he's been a fraud and "acting immorally" to the community, his clients, or whatever? I posit that it's only the former. And not because the show really tries making some sort of point that being a conman is okay, but because this part of the premise never leaves the realm of silly mundane comedy all throughout the show. It's shown not just by the comedic elements in these episodes (beating a videogame as a catalyst for Reigen's rise, the unrealistic popularity explosion and backlash, the press conference, etc), but also as I tried to point out by the fact that nothing really "serious" comes out of these antics that is somehow buried by the show. For example, you say he didn't mind scamming the weirdos at the bar, but in reality he just went there to talk to them and even gave advice for avoiding other scams. He doesn't try to pull anything, and the same pattern repeats throughout all the assignments we've seen before. Reigen rarely does anything genuinely contemptible, even if he is presented as a shady swindler. Really I just see this particular aspect of the show and character as a non-issue.
Reigen's scamming was never really meant to be the focus of these episodes. This entire situation is used to force him into realizing his mistakes with regards to Mob, and that's the main point here. I mean, the episode is even titled "Cornered ~True Identity~. His scamming isn't even presented as a flaw, just as the place he ended up on. The problem was his boredom and lack of direction. He fell into the psychic-thing on a whim, trying to be somebody, and actually wanted to quit after a year.

You're right, we already know how he's helped Mob, so it's a good thing the episode gave us the other side of that meeting. To show us how Mob affected Reigen, and Reigen realizing Mob is what's kept him going. Mob allows him to be somebody. Reigen was put in a bad light not because of his scamming but because he did wrong by Mob. It's telling that this is when the show starts putting Reigen in a negative light, when Mob starts doubting him and their relationship is strained. That's the most important thing here, Mob and Reigen's relationship. It starts and ends there.

Calling this a pointless excursion seems strange to me.

I mean, there's that moment in #6 where Mob admits to Ritsu he's been relying on Reigen too much, so I'd say it's been adressed pretty explicitly.

Alright, I certainly see the points you're making. Though, I suppose, I inherently dislike the notion of a benign scammer and Reigen certainly still is a scammer as he's at the very least dishonest about his practices. Just how I dislike the frequently positive/harmless portrayals of 'perverted'—in anime context rather meaning sexually harassing or even assaulting—characters. That's something inherently problematic and positive portrayals are harmful, especially to the more serious elements of the respective anime.

But it is probably correct that the show is largely very consistent about portraying it as a non-issue here and for comedic purposes, it has been working well for me. I can also appreciate the irony of a conman offering life lessons to everyone.

For episodes like this, however, it just doesn't seem right. Thinking about what it means for the scamming to be shown as a non-issue even here, is the show basically telling me that Reigen's only faults this episode were his mean-spirited remarks towards Mob whereas I'd have to see him as a victim in regards to the unmasking on TV? That the vicious mass media and their audiences simply don't understand that Reigen actually only meant well with his dishonest practices and was successful at that, no less?

So much superfluous fluff to the real problem of Reigen being an ass to Mob, huh. And the resolution to that doesn't even have much of an impact because we've already seen the flashback at least once and the show made it otherwise evidently clear that Reigen is (or was) overall a good influence to Mob anyway.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017

If it's for my daughter, I'd even defeat a demon lord gets an anime. While it's was expected, I'd advise against it. Not because the girl's cuteness will fucking kill you, but because of her adoptive father, who dotes on her relentlessly and creepily.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

If it's for my daughter, I'd even defeat a demon lord gets an anime. While it's was expected, I'd advise against it. Not because the girl's cuteness will fucking kill you, but because of her adoptive father, who dotes on her relentlessly and creepily.

So an anime about Gauche from Black Clover? Sounds like garbage.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Just reading the volume summaries it goes full Hikaru Genji plan halfway in.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Smells of isekai. Is it isekai?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody on Twitter said it pulls an Usagi Drop :p
qaPvOig.gif

At least Sweetness and Lightning is still fine.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that. I think the father
actually marries her at the end. But I'm not sure, I gave up after the first two volumes.
Yeah... I will want some receipts on that...

From what I've read on the manga, it never implies anything more than a very doting father. Never saw anything creepy on the manga so far.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I will want some receipts on that...

From what I've read on the manga, it never implies anything more than a very doting father. Never saw anything creepy on the manga so far.

Volume 4 summary on Amazon said:
"I've never thought of you as a replacement for my father."

After Latina tells him about her real feelings on the night of the Ahmar festival, Dale is driven into a deep depression by his beloved daughter's "rebellious phase." It takes a talk with his "big bro" Kenneth for him to see what her words really mean... but how will he respond?

To make matters even more complicated, Latina receives a confession of love from Rudolph, her childhood friend. Love is hard, but this is getting out of hand!

Whatever happens, though, one thing is sure: the relationship between guardian and adoptive daughter is going to change in a big way, and there's no turning back.

Volume 5 summary on Amazon said:
Everything seems to be finally coming together for Latina and Dale. They live in a place where they feel like they belong, they're surrounded by people they love, and Dale has finally asked for Latina's hand in marriage.
Before long, though, the devil girl realizes what being the Eighth Demon Lord means: the other demon lords will stop at nothing to destroy her, and that will put everything she holds dear in peril as well. And to prevent that, Latina decides she must sacrifice herself.
However, as a first-rate hero and Latina's retainer, Dale won't let that happen, and he sets out to do what he must: eliminate the seven demon lords.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some receipts, alright?

Sure is getting tiring to talk about that sort of trash every season but ignoring it is difficult when there's just about always adamant defenders :|

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus...

Those are some receipts, alright?

Sure is getting tiring to talk about that sort of trash every season but ignoring it is difficult when there's just about always adamant defenders :|
No need to be an ass like that man. I was genuinely doubting the information, not trying to defend this shit.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Promised Neverland 02

I really like the dynamic between the three lead characters but it's a quality that would come off better if they were more subtle about it, they kind of spell out their differences in personality and how they think in some instances instead of using visual cues or their approach to issues give it away. It undercuts any appreciation you could potentially have. It's probably not new for shonen though.

There's a frustrating amount of tension looking to burst through after the events of the first episode but they don't quite overwhelm you, there's a lot to unpack, this works well coming from Emma's perspective at the beginning. At this stage, I don't see anything working out for them but I'll take Emma's optimism, much like Norman.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Attack on Titan Season 2

Been meaning to get back up to speed with this after not getting round to watching it when it was airing and also because I've been hearing good things about season 3.

Man what a slog, I can see why everyone dropped this after this season, starts off ok but the second half just dosent go anywhere plot wise, hope season 3 part 1 is better.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Is Macross: Do You Remember Love coherent enough to be watchable for someone without the tv series behind his belt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.