• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the Winter 2019 Anime OT! Will Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 sustain the quality of the AOTY 2016 winning show (before we migrated to ResetEra) that was Mob Psycho 100 Season 1? Will Kemono Friends Season 2 somehow capture the same magic that Season 1 did? All this and more will be revealed as the season plays out.​

7KfezdF.png

The following are some of the potential highlights for this Winter season of anime. Like always, some of these could turn into duds and unforeseen gems in this season could have been looked over.
fjc7UUu.png

1. Mob Psycho 100 II
Director: Yuzuru Tachikawa (Mob Psycho 100 Season 1 Director)
Studio: BONES
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll, Funimation (Dub)
Trailer

BONES is once again being adapting more (and possibly the rest of) of our old place's AOTY for 2016, Mob Psycho 100. While it may not hold up to the unprecedented standards of animation that was the first season, MP100 II should still be the animation highlight of the season. Will it attempt to rush through and adapt the whole series is still iffy with what has been seen with the PV's and promotional art. But either way, this new season will cover a personal favorite arc of mine and should help cement why MP100 is One's better work for anime viewers only.

2. Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai
Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Shirobako & Girls und Panzer TV + Movies Director)
Studios: GEMBA and Wao World
Streaming Service (US): HIDIVE
Trailer

Now you may be asking yourself, why the hell is this on the highlights list? The reason is because it has Mizushima directing and Yokote doing the series composition teaming up once again to do a project. These two worked together to bring us Shirobako! While this could turn into a giant dud, it could also be the unexpected hidden gem for this season.

3. Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.
Director: Kaoru Suzuki (DIVE!! Director)
Studio: Zero-G
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll & Funimation (Dub)
Trailer

While I'm not expecting great things direction wise, if the show follows the source material well enough we should expect a comfy and lighthearted anime. And what's wrong with more cat anime?

4. Boogiepop and Others (2019)
Director: Shingo Natsume (One Punch Man S1 & ACCA: 13 Director)
Studio: Madhouse
Trailer

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Boogiepop is once again is getting an anime adaption but this time it will start from the beginning of the light novels. So those new to the franchise can start with this show with no worries and enjoy the mystery/psychological light novel adaption that helped influence the LN medium.

UqBrhVE.png

5. Dororo (2019)
Director: Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Hunter X Hunter (1999) Series Director & Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Director)
Studios: MAPPA & Tezuka Productions
Streaming Service (US): Amazon Prime Video
Trailer

Once again Tezuka's darkest work Dororo is being adapted into an anime as a collaboration between MAPPA and Tezuka Productions. The hype for this project is both from the pedigree of the source material, alongside Furuhashi being at the helm directing this Samurai show.

6. Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan (2019)
Directors: Akira Shigino (Osomatsu-kun 1988 Director), Akitarō Daichi (Fruit Basket Director), Gisaburō Sugii (Night on the Galactic Railroad Director), Hiroshi Nagahama (Flowers of Evil & Mushishi Series Director), Koji Morimoto (Dimension Bomb & Magnetic Rose Director), Masayuki Kojima (Made in Abyss Director), Osamu Kobayashi (BECK Director), Ryousuke Takahashi (Armored Trooper Votoms Director), Shin Misawa (Initial D Director), Takeo Takahashi (Spice and Wolf 1 + 2 Director), Tomomi Mochizuki (Twice Spica & House of Five Leaves Director) and Yoshitomo Yonetani (Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma 1-3 Director)
Studios: 12 Currently Unnamed Studios
Trailer (Slightly NSFW)

First thing that may catch your eye is not the fact that you most likely never heard of this show, but the giant list of directors and 12 unnamed studios working on this show. This is our "artsy" highlights for the season, it is a collaboration work where one studio, one director and one voice actress (there are also 12 voice actresses for the main character) each do their own episode. This project has pulled in a variety of different directors with unique and diverse stylings to each create their own vision for one episode of the show. This may be an uneven show due to its nature, but from an artistic standpoint it should be an interesting experiment to see what results these acclaimed directors produce.

7. Kemurikusa
Director: TATSUKI (Kemono Friends S1 Director, Series Composition, Script, Storyboard and Episode Director)
Studio: Yaoyorozu
Streaming Service (US): Amazon Prime Video
Trailer

After being thrown to the curb by Kadokawa, director TATSUKI is leaving his Kemono Friends behind and moving onto a new show based on a concept he co-created back in 2012. Has he brought the creativity and love that saved Kemono Friends from being a disaster onto this new project? Only time will tell.

8. The Promised Neverland
Director: Mamoru Kanbe (Elfen Lied)
Studio: CloverWorks
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll, Funimation, HIDIVE & Hulu
Trailer

Another season, another Shounen Jump manga getting an anime adaption. If you want an interesting mystery anime with tinges of psychological and horror themes, then The Promised Neverland should scratch that itch well enough.

OI3I27y.png

9. The Price of Smiles
Director: Toshimasa Suzuki (Heroic Age Director)
Studio: Tatsunoko Production
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll
Trailer

We need to highlight a Mecha show each season….and I don't see any others to do so. On the bright side, it has a director whose work has been mostly mecha focused and it's Tatsunoko's 55th anniversary project so it should have been given ample production time.

10. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Director: Mamoru Hatakeyama (Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū Director)
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll, Hulu & Funimation (Dub)
Trailer

Fear of a bad adaption is what many of us manga readers feel when an anime adaption gets announced. Such is the case when it came to Kaguya-Sama's anime announcement, since this has been a generally beloved manga in the community for the quality of comedy the manga has produced. While PVs have been…less than inspiring so far, one can only hope that director Hatakeyama is able to pull this RomCom adaption off.

11.Endro~!
Director: Kaori (Yuyushiki Director)
Studio: Studio Gokumi
Trailer

This has always been here, ignore the man behind the curtain. If you wanted more Yuru Yuri then Endro~! will scratch that itch with a fantasy spin/JRPG spin on that formula. And yes, the Mangaka of Yuru Yuri designed the characters for this show.

12. How Clumsy you are, Miss Ueno
Director: Tomohiro Yamanashi (Fafner in the Azure: Dead Aggressor Key Animation)
Studio: Lespirt
Streaming Service (US): HIDIVE
Trailer

If you want a ecchi romcom that's mostly comedy, then Ueno will attempt to scratch that itch in fifteen-minute intervals. This will most likely be my guilty pleasure watch of the season. The manga is dumb, but it hits the absurdist level of comedy that just works.

wFyzJoR.png

F1:Kemono Friends Season 2 - Will the show follow its predecessor and become a hit? Or will it be a soulless husk with the creative mind behind it forced out? Find out next week on Kemono Friends 2: The Kadokawa Experiment!

F2: Manaria Friends - Manaria Friends is our second Friends show in our mini Friend's section! After…4 years or so, this show is finally being released as a short anime tv series. The show is set somewhere in the Rage of Bahamut universe and yes, Dragon Girls are included.

Resources:
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Results Full Spreadsheet Doc
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2018 Voting Thread
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2017 Results
The Rest of What's Airing Winter 2019 Anime Season

Winter Season Show OT Threads: (PM me your thread if you create an OT for a specific show for this season)

Discussion Ground Rules:
- Please do not discuss piracy.
- Please keep it work-safe.
- Please do not be stupid.
-DONT POST ANITUBER VIDEOS (In Particular the big name ones Gigg, Mother's Basement, Digi etc..(Those three in particular endorsed the scams of Flying Colors and/or Otakucoin) and almost always tend to only go for low hanging fruit subjects with little discussion to be gained from posting them. The ones that actually go into potentially interesting subjects and have a better insight into the actual anime industry tend to be smaller and are okay to post as long as they aren't click bait type videos).

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
When will AOTY 2019 go up because Mob Psycho already wins.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Between Kaguya-sama, Mob Psycho 100, and The Promised Neverland, my plate is looking pretty full this season. That's on top of all the stuff I skipped from previous seasons that I haven't caught up on... Hoo, boy.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This season is really stacked with potentially great shows. 2019 is starting strong.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I love that TATSUKI is putting out his new show in the same season as Kemono Friends 2. The spite is palpable.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I will watch:

-Dororo
-Boogiepop
-Kaguya
-The Promised Neverland
-Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan (If I have the subscription for it)

Will see if any of the others is good as I know nothing about them. Will try to catch up with Mob.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Fingers crossed for Kaguya.
Lord, let there be a good adaptation for one of my favorite manga THIS ONCE.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Gonna watch 4 new shows (Dororo, MP100, YnN, and Boogiepop) and continue watching 4 others (Giogio, Radiant, Hinomaru, and Karakuri) this season. Crisis Jung should also come out this month. In addition to old stuff that should keep me decently busy.

For those that were wondering, Radiant is finally out of filler hell so you could watch episodes 1 to 5, skip everything until the last scene of episode 10 and go from there. It's still a kid's version of the story but it's watchable haha

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
W'z
Pastel Memories
Circlet Princess
Rising of the Shield HEro
Revisions
Dimension High School
Girly Air Force
Grimms Notes The Animation
Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka
Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai

Ten series and I'm going to probably drop down to 3 likely by the end of the month.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Damn for some reason I missed that Shield Hero is a isekai. Thought it was just a fantasy setting

Oct 26, 2017
Boogiepop Phantom is on Netflix for those who haven't had the pleasure. It is kind of a sequel to Boogiepop and Others so it might spoil the new show a bit if you follow it close enough. I saw the show years before I read the book and would still recommend giving it a watch if you haven't. But I would absolutely recommend giving it a go after the new show, regardless of the quality of the new one, as Boogiepop Phantom is imo one of the most overlooked shows around.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop Phantom is on Netflix for those who haven't had the pleasure. It is kind of a sequel to Boogiepop and Others so it might spoil the new show a bit if you follow it close enough. I saw the show years before I read the book and would still recommend giving it a watch if you haven't. But I would absolutely recommend giving it a go after the new show, regardless of the quality of the new one, as Boogiepop Phantom is imo one of the most overlooked shows around.

Not seeing it on US Netflix.

Oct 26, 2017
I will watch:

-Boogiepop , I liked the previous entries in their own confusing way.
-Dororo, Tezuka + Mappa sounds nice.
-Mob Psycho 2, doh.
-Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan, never heard of this before, seems to be an anthology series with lots of good 'guest staff' like Space Dandy
-The Promised Neverland, heard good things of this, looks nice too.
-Kaguya-sama. I will give it a chance, I know mangaEra likes it.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Watching:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War-Heard good things about the manga, I'll check it out in this form
Kakegurui xx-It's not a great gambling show, but it's an excellent invincible hero/mixed-sex harem anime
Manaria Friends-Mmm, dragon lesbian
Mob Psycho 100 II-Hope it's as much a writing and animation showcase as the first

And that's it! Total backlog season.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Something like Boogiepop Phantom getting a redo makes me hopeful for other little known series to return. I want a do over for Air Gear.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I barely watched anything last season, but excited for Mob Psycho, Boogiepop Phantom, and Promised Neverland.

Thumbs up for friends (At least to one of them).

Rising of the Shield Hero - Is the only way for a isaki show to get people's attention is to have something shocking in them and not handle it well?
Seriously false rape accusations and slavery in the first episode.

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan. Kind of crazy to have so many big names coming together to adapt a manga about a nudist. Hopefully it'll be mostly watchable.

Something like Boogiepop Phantom getting a redo makes me hopeful for other little known series to return. I want a do over for Air Gear.

Boogiepop Phantom isn't really getting a "redo". It was an anime-original spinoff/sequel to the original Boogiepop and Others light novel, and this new anime will be adapting what sounds like multiple novels from the Boogiepop series. So they aren't covering the same material, even if they feature some of the same characters.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Boogiepop Phantom isn't really getting a "redo". It was an anime-original spinoff/sequel to the original Boogiepop and Others light novel, and this new anime will be adapting what sounds like multiple novels from the Boogiepop series. So they aren't covering the same material, even if they feature some of the same characters.

Ehhh, I see where you're going with this but its still going back to a franchise that's like 20 years old to do something with it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
El-Melloi Episode 0

That was pretty cool. Looking forward to the series in summer

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mob Psycho only for now, i still need to finish watching some 2018 anime

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The Waver Anime #1

Fm0LFU3.jpg

I wish it had been a 40 minutes episode, there is a lot to unpack here. A lot of dialogs are clearly expository in nature, but that's pretty much what you can expect from Type Moon at this point.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see there is no mention of 5-Tobun no Hanayome in this thread. It is one of the hypest show at my place.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Weird to see there is no mention of 5-Tobun no Hanayome in this thread. It is one of the hypest show at my place.
I like the manga, but the anime doesn't inspire confidence from what I've seen. Not expecting it to make any waves except with people looking for a new waifu or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.