• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
is anything netflix basically a lost cause for that current season? i wanna checkout revisions but knowing my luck it'll probably pop up on it in the future and i have 2 weeks left of this free trial

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I had planned to watch this for a while and as I had free friday decided to binge watch it and damn. That was darkest anime I have seen in a while. Really liked it though.

It's really good. Damn harrowing, but good.

enhanced-buzz-3102-1370228692-16.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
is anything netflix basically a lost cause for that current season? i wanna checkout revisions but knowing my luck it'll probably pop up on it in the future and i have 2 weeks left of this free trial
Netflix got Revisions ;(? Blah, they basically killed all possible discussion for the last Goro Taniguchi show, ID-0.

Checked out the first two Boogiepop episodes. I'm a huge fan of Boogiepop Phantom and the few novels I've read, so I went into it super hyped...

So far it's pretty good, and relatively faithful outside of a few cut characters. Lacks the mesmerizing editing of Phantom though, and the character designs are kind of a disappointment.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people would think he would have a problem with the content in Made in Abyss anyway. Just because he's not Japanese?

It's not really about him specifically but artists in that position in general. Though he does stand out as a westerner composing an anime OST and MiA simply happens to be the kind of work where that question arises.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Score Girl 1
Pretty funny. The strong direction and art design (particularly for the comedy faces) takes the edge off the blatent CG usage, and since the show cuts between gags really fast there's not much time to linger. The real life references really help it though, it wouldn't be nearly as good this early at least if they weren't talking about actual games.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It is a lost cause if you want to legally watch it as you have to wait at worst two whole seasons for it to come over to the states. If not, you may have a small chance of fansubs to be made if it becomes popular enough, like High Score Girl and the Jaeger anime.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Some shows get English subs even on Japanese Netflix (Baki did), so you could also fire up the VPN

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need to watch Made in Abyss, for reasons that aren't even because of an interest in the show itself. If it explicitly depicts what people argue, I find it difficult to understand why it was apparently one of the more popular shows in the season it came out.

MiA is a very well made show. It's unfortunate that it's held back by its more questionable bits, even if the anime isn't as explicit about that sort of content.

The manga is notably worse.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Boogiepop and Others 01-02

First, I'll say I have no knowledge about anything Boogiepop. My thoughts pretty much are the same as Jarmel 's.
The music out-fucking-standing, I'm somewhat meh on the character designs, the second episode feels needlessly messy and the visuals feel inconsistent, but I'm intrigued enough to watch a bit more.
I hope blonde girl gets revived with some magic bullshit or something

The Price of Smiles 01

A pretty middling start without a particularly strong hook but also nothing especially boring. I guess what will make or break this will be the other main character and her impact on things.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Bloom Into You End
Great from start to finish. Will be sure to read the manga if it completes its serialization and no anime continuation is announced.

Boogiepop and Others 01-02
It took me about an episode and a half to realize that scenes were not in chronological order (even a character dying and then appearing in a following scene went by me as I couldn't recognize them lol). I'm not sure if this was intentional or if I was not paying enough attention, but they at least make this method of storytelling very clear once we go through the Nagi scenes in episode 2 (with the focus on the cigarettes/suspension etc.). Knowing that events are out of order removes some of the complaints I had while watching the first episode, such as the jarring change in dynamic between Boogiepop and what's his face (not that it really makes their conversations all that more compelling).

I'll wait until the first novel is completely adapted to see how things come together, but as of now I don't have a great sense of the characters, mystery or conflict. Though I do think it is neat that it has the titular character effectively sidelined from the central events in the establishing episodes. Has a nice opening and ending too.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
More like dumb grimdark edgelord garbage made just for the sake of being dumb grimdark edgelord garbage.

This so does not apply to that show, which is a harrowing anti-war series but, in particular, does NOT indulge in e.g. its depiction of violence and rape.

But taking Cornbread's of all words for it, sure, keep going.

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
MiA is a very well made show. It's unfortunate that it's held back by its more questionable bits, even if the anime isn't as explicit about that sort of content.

The manga is notably worse.

Kinda late to the conversation here, but having watched most of the series with no knowledge of how problematic the source material was, I thought the adaptation was relatively tasteful and very well-directed (even the edgy episode 10, I guess). Hearing so many gross anecdotes about the actual manga has definitely soured me on the franchise but fingers crossed future adaptations know when to cut out the truly NSFL stuff.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Planet With 01

For the boy loved meat in his meals so much he harkened unto his anthropomorphic feline friend and live-in maid to smite the protectors of his world.

Oh and he hath amnesia. As they do.

Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, this was a great hook episode by the end. Unusual perspective of events, paired by ominous implications at every corner. The transformation sequence was brief but it was a great moment. This sort of a sudden 'mecha pilot' development isn't new, nichibros straight up parodies this in their first episode. This was really well handled with a shift in perspective where we come from a superhero who just overcame a difficult situation and a choreographed sense of confusion about the protagonist's choices. The one last scene does imply that he came to realize he was doing something necessary, at least something he feels necessary.

Last edited:

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shaping up to be my favorite season of SAO so far... can't wait for the next episode

Deleted member 42158

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2018
Hearing where that show is heading, it's almost a bit concerning to hear this kinda of hype statement.

On that topic and it's respective reddit thread...
yZ3f8MG.png

Always 'lovely' to see how this damning aspect of MiA and its author gets treated on /r/anime. At least the reasonable reply at the bottom is still upvoted, for the time being anyway.

I checked the history of that guy to check his reliability and certainly that guy is something else

ILY9S0R.png

53tvbOv.png

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Radiant 14

An action episode but the pacing was kinda wack and the animation was static as hell (which is a shame since the source material has really dynamic action scenes). There's maybe 2 seconds of decent animation in the whole episode (Seth jumping over that one spear sweep was pretty smooth). I don't know if the people working on it are just not very good, if they had production issues, or if they just don't care about the material but yeah... Not a good adaptation.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not buying any of the shit he said happened. I think the poster is just a sick fuck who wants to try to validate his creepo piece of shit beliefs.

Well:
R9mczeE.png

But yeh, who knows about the translation. Though, as others have stated, it's clear either way that the author is totally into it from not just the manga but apparently also stuff he posts on twitter or so.

I checked the history of that guy to check his reliability and certainly that guy is something else

It's not even surprising, really. Threads like that almost always go down in a way where eventually the criticism is heavily downvoted and the same ridiculous arguments defend all the pedo stuff. By now there are probably hundreds of folks like that among the users of not just /r/anime but many anime, manga, and game-related subreddits because they can almost openly endorse all that. People that aren't nearly as deep into it will still feel compelled to agree at times due to fear of censorship and so forth. I highly doubt it's even a large percentage of the user base, but the loudest and most involved people are obviously going to shape the discussion.

Much of it, I assume, is basically the case because this stuff has been heavily normalized, especially among the anime community, for years on end. For instance, the majority of AniTubers at best jokes about these aspects. "Anime is trash and so am I haha". While genuine criticism does exist, it's usually on the smaller channels and if it does get posted to reddit, see it torn to shreds.

It's just all around disturbing.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Any anime community the size of /r/anime is guaranteed to be a wasteland anyway, outside of maybe occasional niche threads

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
W'z 01
I didn't even know this was a Handshakers sequel. The only praise I can give it is that it's not as offendingly bad as episode one of the original. The problem being that nothing of what happened in episode 1 motivated me in the slightest to watch episode 2.
Then there's the weird amount of detail for certain things but baffling stuff like the restaurant scene where they have two plates but the only utensil in the table is a single knife and you cannot think anything else but WTF.
I guess DTL will enjoy it so good for him but as for me I'll keep Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou as my DJing anime of choice.
I don't think GoHands is capable of making anything else at this point.
I liked Mardock Scramble enough and the beginning of Coppelion before it became nonsense. I wouldn't say no to more Seitokai Yakuindomo even if it may be too crass for some.

Last edited:

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
W'z 01
I didn't even know this was a Handshakers sequel.
The only praise I can give it is that it's not as offendingly bad as episode one of the prequel. The problem being that nothing of what happened in episode 1 motivated me in the slightest to watch episode 2.
Then there's the weird amount of detail for certain things but baffling stuff like the restaurant scene where they have two plates but the only utensil in the table is a single knife and you cannot think anything else but WTF.
I guess DTL will enjoy it so good for him but as for me I'll keep Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou as my DJing anime of choice.

I don't think anyone knew it was a Handshakers sequel. It's not mentioned on the official website anywhere I can see, and reoccuring characters you may have been able to ascertain where common were left of the lists, and even the Japanese-speaking portion of Twitter seems to be completely non-plussed by the fact that it's, well, Handshakers. It's pretty amazing, in a sense.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I don't think anyone knew it was a Handshakers sequel. It's not mentioned on the official website anywhere I can see, and reoccuring characters you may have been able to ascertain where common were left of the lists, and even the Japanese-speaking portion of Twitter seems to be completely non-plussed by the fact that it's, well, Handshakers. It's pretty amazing, in a sense.
You could say that DTL will be doubly pleased since he loves the original and was all over this. Will anyone else keep watching it, though?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey guys, can we cut out the cross-forum stuff?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mob S2 1

Didn't take long to remind me why season 1 was my favorite anime that year. Really fun introduction and Mob's actions at the end really have me excited for this season

Really though my favorite part of the entire event was watching the Mob S1 opening in a theater.

BanG Dream S2 1

Picked up the game last year and fell in love with it, so it was awesome how this episode was just a ton of fanservice for fans of the game. Every band had an animated performance. Really cool how the animation incorporates the actual performers' moves from the live shows.

DwBdn8lU0AECQDv.jpg
DwBdn8hUwAA8vol.jpg

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not supossed to have a strong reaction to watching little girls being raped in a shitty world full of death & destruction with a "king" that has no regard to the human condition?

No. But while you're stating what's happening, you aren't saying how it's portrayed. For instance, unlike e.g. Goblin Slayer's episode 1 rape you don't see anything of what happens to Sara. No gratuitous camera work.

So reading your impressions one might indeed think it's some super edgy shit. And some might jump to strong conclusions.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barely watched any anime last year.
Can someone give me crash course of the best anime of 2018?
I watch basically everything but sports anime.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I completely forgot Kaguya is this winter. When does it start?

Oct 25, 2017
Mob S2 1

Didn't take long to remind me why season 1 was my favorite anime that year. Really fun introduction and Mob's actions at the end really have me excited for this season

Really though my favorite part of the entire event was watching the Mob S1 opening in a theater.

That was indeed cool, although the bass-heavy sound mix made the song sound a lot worse than it did at home.

Crunchy are running theatrical events in the US for the first couple of episodes today.

Just the first episode, actually. Beforehand was screened the Reigen recap special, which I hadn't seen before. That was a clever way to frame a recap of season 1 events. Seeing Reigen constantly attempt to insert himself where he actually wasn't didn't get old.

Status
Not open for further replies.