• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Dororo - 01

Saw that yesterday and it felt like a very well produced first episode. Not sure what to make of the premise just yet. I certainly hope it has a good serial narrative and won't become half about some monster-of-the-week-ish encounters.

Miss me with that OP song, though.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Why do all the girls have the same face/expression?
Well, despite the brands name it looks like this season of Date a Live is a production mess as we already got 'quality' shots on the first episode. Not imouto tier, but its starting off in a rough state.
1546902468479.jpg

1546901992024.jpg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
well this doesn't bode well

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...ld-hero-anime-1st-dub-episode-delayed/.141816

The official English Twitter account for the television anime of Aneko Yusagi's The Rising of The Shield Hero (Tate no Yūsha no Nariagari) fantasy light novel series announced on Tuesday that the first episode of the English dub will not stream on Wednesday as planned. Crunchyrolltold ANN that the episode is delayed and it will "share more info soon."

Lame I was planning on watching it tonight :/

Oct 25, 2017
This is the most blandass OP they could have made.

It could be a whole lot more bland - if nothing else, that cool background animation cut with Emma racing through the forest prevents the OP from being simply bland. I do think it's not an exceptionally interesting OP on a conceptual level, even if it has good animation and drawings. The best OP this season is Koike's Dororo OP, which is both conceptually interesting and well-executed.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
BanG Dream Series 2

As Era's number 1 expert on music related anime I can tell you that it's very common for a show to be traditional hard drawn animation for most of the show, but CG animation for the performance bits. The first series of BanG Dream was no exception to this.

As a result it's usually seen as more impressive when performances are hand drawn, a good example of this being The iDOLM@STER anime where it's almost completely hand drawn . Heck, even Love Live, which was notorious for it's CG in the first series, improved with the later series and mixed things up more, likely due to the increased budget.

BanG Dream Series 2 has gone in a completely different direction. It has decided to become COMPLETELY CG. This is the weirdest shift I've seen between two series of the same show.

N2YLxrA.png

Series 1

0z3jEtm.png

Series 2​

Now, don't get me wrong, the CG is actually rather good (though still no match for Etotama, which has still yet to be bested). Much better than the CG from series 1, and, to be honest, the hand drawn animation of series 1 could get a little derpy so it's certainly better looking "technically". Bu,t at the same time, it does suffer from looking a bit lifeless. Just from the first episode I notice a lot of the emoting is done just through changing the eyes, while the rest of the face stays exactly the same and this could honestly kill my interest in the show. The first series was an OK show; nothing too exciting and I'd sometimes forget to even keep up with it, but I did like the chemistry between Kasumi and Arisa, especially because of their expressions, Arisa's especially. With this lost it could just be another music anime, just in CG.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Quick updates:
Mob Psycho 100 S2E1 - Love to see this back. Love the new opening, ending, vibe, and everything else from the first episode. Looking forward the season. Also, loved the direction of the novel scene near the end, but interesting to see more of One's art show up.
Boogiepop Phantom Others 1-2 - Not nearly as confusing as I was expecting and nice to see things quickly ramping up, even though they are a bit wobbly with the timeline. Piecing that all together is part of the fun. I think the best thing I'll get out of this is having a better understanding of the old anime now that we will have more context.
Slime 14 - Not surprising the fight would end like that, but nice to see Gelmund get his and the Orc Lord getting more context. Action this episode was well done.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
The Promised Neverland 1
This was a good first episode but I couldn't help but laugh at the twist. This is really silly.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The Rising of the Incel Hero 01

oh boy there sure is.............a lot to process here

Kevin Penkin gud tho

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The Promised Neverland 1
This is up there as one of the best adaptations I've seen. The character animation, the bright and colorful world, and the horror of what this series actually is was all done perfectly. The buildup to the climax of the episode where Norman and Emma find out why they are at Grace Field Orphanage was perfect. I really really hope that the entire season holds up and that the rest of the series gets adapted. There's a good deal to work with well past this initial run and very good.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
The Promised Neverland - 1

First things first, let get the OP out of the way. It's well executed for what it is, it's just not interesting at all conceptually. The song is...something. I knew Uverworld was doing it, but I was hoping it'd be a softer song. Instead they went full Uverworld. It is what it is, maybe it'll grow on me.

Now, I don't have much to say about the episode generally. The direction is a bit bland, but good enough, occasionally great even. There is definitely some sloppy exposition in there though, which unfortunately is the one thing that always gets me.

But damn, that big reveal scene. Whew. That was some awesome stuff, everything I could have wanted from that moment. Such a well directed sequence with great pacing, editing and animation. I gotta watch that again.

Oct 25, 2017
Kemurikusa 1

First of all, I'm glad Tatsuki is back on anime since the controversy with former Kadokawa in the past. Second, this premier is like a completely opposite of Kemono's Friends with dark tone. I assumed it's the same universe that Kemono has? Anyway, I have a mixed feelings that later episodes will not end up with happy ending....

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Slight teaser of the current top 5 in AOTY 18 voting (Remember to vote: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-op-ends-midnight-january-31-est.90650/page-2 ). System is in place that edited posts changes will be implemented into the current vote count. You may have a vague idea of what's what...you may not, only other info I'll give is there is a 3 way tie for 9th place right now.
OPNnRcN.png
there are 224 good people on this forum voting for asobi asobase
if not i'm losing all faith in you guys

Oct 25, 2017
Bungo Stray Dogs: Dead Apple

For as much as this could look like a standard silly supernatural shounen, the continued commitment of Bungo Stray Dogs to its characters continues to endear me to it. Tying in the film's primary antagonist to Atsushi's backstory, and using the separation from their abilities to concretely work out Atsushi and Kyouka's uneasy relationship with them, helps make this film not just a mere throwaway filler franchise film but an important step in the ongoing character arcs of the main cast. (Of course, it also makes it nearly pointless to watch as a stand-alone film.) There were still some unnecessary "got to show off all the characters" moments, but on the whole I'm pleased with the film narratively as well as visually. The character art and variable linework is to die for, and there's some great layouts and eye-catching design work throughout, even if it's not the production powerhouse that something like FMA: Sacred Star of Milos was.

The film also managed to smoothly set up in the background what will likely be the main antagonist and main plot of season 3. I'm looking forward to it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The Promised Neverland 1

Lived up to my expectations, some of the changes from the manga were appreciated to help flesh some things out. Gonna spoil tag the following since it's stuff that hints at where the show is going.

the final shot with isabella was great of course, but I like giving don a bit more focus early on when he was barely a character in the first chapter. Isabella singing the song while walking Connie was a nice anime addition as well. Seems like this anime is also gonna expand upon some of the minor characters which should help a lot if/when this anime adapts the later arcs.

Also in the op the shot of mom closing the pocket watch was a nice touch

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
The Promised Neverland ep.1
I want my innocence back..... like now. My goodness that was terrible, but in an excellent way. I mean daaaaamn, that is a way to introduce new viewers into a world, that short cut back to Mommy at the end gabe me chills as well.... just damn.

Date a Live S3 ep.1
Yup, this is Date a Live alright.

3D Kanojo S2 ep.1
My hope is that this somehow ends up better than S1 with better pacing and content...

Black Clover ep.65
That's actually a pretty big reveal that explains a lot about their world and what they are dealing with. I'm glad to get the rest of the crew back finally. Also, Asta still on that Sister kick is annoying at this point....

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
The Promised Neverland ep.1
I want my innocence back..... like now. My goodness that was terrible, but in an excellent way. I mean daaaaamn, that is a way to introduce new viewers into a world, that short cut back to Mommy at the end gabe me chills as well.... just damn.
I don't see how anyone could be shocked by that twist spoiled the entire premise of the show with just the poster.

Oct 25, 2017
With increasing amounts of typos in subs, episodes not being active on their mobile apps even hours after launch, and downtime, CR just continues to get even more terrible with time.

Being unable to deliver something they promised for months makes them look terrible.

The company is producing the dub as its first simultaneous dub title, and it plans to debut dubbed episodes on the same day as the subtitled episodes.

Shameful.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
*walks into the r/anime awards* Literally everything was Bunny Girl

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I don't see how anyone could be shocked by that twist spoiled the entire premise of the show with just the poster.

I've been so busy with everything else I haven't really loooked into any of the shows past the synopsis. I only watched PN because everyone praises thr manga so much, lol.

In other eords, I went in completely blind and it was a wonderful surprise

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
revisions 1-2

so this is like Terminator kind of? nope... this MC :x .... that gore :o ... wtf is that fox girl...

This is something, I don't think it's good...

ep3
this is dumb AF.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Run With the Wind Episode 12

Yes my two favorite characters having drama, hold me.

Shindo continues to be like my favorite of the protagonsits, how anyone cant ever smile when he does good and surprising things is beyond me. Love it alot, and Yuki with him two.

Twins continue to be fun as well.

New ED is great, but to me it feels kind of sad, not that I expect them to somehow win the end goal (or maybe the anime like ends with them qualifying but then just staring the race and thats it).

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
With increasing amounts of typos in subs, episodes not being active on their mobile apps even hours after launch, and downtime, CR just continues to get even more terrible with time.

Being unable to deliver something they promised for months makes them look terrible.

Shameful.
Didn't they already premier the episode at an earlier event? Saw rumors going around about a recast

Dec 28, 2018
So out of boredom I started watching The Seven Deadly Sins movie on Netflix and it was as good as I had expected it to be.

The Good:
.The backgrounds in the movie were drawn pretty well for the most part.
.The OST was good and I liked what I heard throughout the movie.
.It was nice to learn more about the Indura and find out who the Mother of Chaos is.

The Meh:
.Considering this is a movie the Art/Animation could have been a lot better. The only time the animation really wowed me was during the Bellion vs Meliodas fight and Ban vs Pump. Other than that though the animation was average. Same applies to the art in which sometimes it could look pretty good and then rather poor. So as whole it was sorta underwhelming but not terrible.

The Bad:
.Meliodas, he was bad in this movie, though he's awful in the main series so no surprise there.
.The story wasn't all that good and was pretty much a big misunderstanding of Meliodas being mistaken for somebody else for almost the whole film and it got annoying pretty quickly. But even outside of that there wasn't much interesting about the story.
.The Six Knights of Black were all pretty weak, not just from a writing standpoint point but presenting an actual challenge to the main heroes. Also most of their designs were very unappealing, only Pump and Bellion looked decent. As said before they were weak like comically so. Each one got beaten without much of a struggle and as a result there was pretty much no tension in the movie. Also made most of the fights boring to watch since it was just the Sins beating them around. And yet for some reason they were compared to the Ten Commandments throughout the movie and I really fail to see how their as strong. I mean the Ten Commandments ended up sucking in the manga but even they didn't appear this weak at first like the Knights in this movie did. So I thought maybe after the disappointment of the knights that the Indura might put up a good fight but nope it also gets beaten pretty easily. Though I guess shouldn't be surprised by this since the main series has a big problem of one sided fights as well. Overall the villains were forgettable and I didn't care for a single one of them.

So in general this movie wasn't all that great and the little it did right doesn't make up for the amount it got wrong. I'd give it a 4/10.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
I think with trying to catch up on a couple more of last year's show before AotY voting ends and a number of solid shows already appearing this so far this season, I'm just going to wait until Kakegurui XX shows up on Netflix to watch it.

The Promised Neverland 1
Similarly to Dororo, I wasn't entirely sure how well this would turn out given some of the chatter behind the scenes and CloverWorks (formerly part of A-1 Pictures) previous track record being... inconsistent to say the least. But the source material being one of the most highly regarded things to come from Shounen Jump in the last decade was enough to make me interested, especially because it wasn't one that focused on the kind of action battle material that is Jump's bread-and-butter. Well, I'm glad that all my concerns seemed to have been unwarranted, because I think this is tied with Mob Psycho 100 II as my favorite debut this season.

A lot of credit here goes to the source material itself, which manages to frame the events of this episode which might come off as relatively played out in terms of cliche material in a way that remains particularly captivating because it does such a good job of presenting its leads both as children but also ones smart enough to immediately grasp the situations they find themselves in react in believable and realistic ways. You don't just buy the fact that the three leads are the smartest because the show tells you that, you believe it because of how they choose to act and how fast they come to the truth of things when presented with enough evidence to make that conclusion. And when they deviate from that particular fact, the extenuating circumstances of the situation make that understandable in a way that so many shows either don't bother to justify or don't try to excuse just to allow the plot to advance the way they want. If this is the standard of the writing we're going to see in the series proper now that the general idea of what's going on has come to light, I can see why this manga has been so highly regarded.

It also helps that CloverWorks have clearly been working on this show quite a bit. The character animation, especially necessary in a show which has its characters running the gambit of the emotional spectrum, is really exceptional. The end of the episode particularly wouldn't have worked without the incredible and painstaking attention to detail in conveying Emma and Norman's emotional state in that moment. There's also a lot of really great direction throughout the episode as well, from some really creative framing during key moments to drive home the oppressive atmosphere that hangs over the entire orphanage.

If I had anything negative to say, it would be that much like some comments had mentioned pre-release, the background art isn't quite up to the standard set by the excellent character art and animation. It does its job well enough, but having seen some shots of similar pages in the manga, it doesn't convey the same kind of sense of place. Thankfully, the show does enough else right that I'm not too broken up about it, but it is a shame.

Overall, this was a great premier, and I'd say it'll be difficult for any other new show this season to take hold of my attention quite the way this did.

Kemurikusa 1
This is a tough one. After the whole controversy surrounding TATSUKI and his studio's treatment at the hands of Kadokawa after the overwhelming success of Kemono Friends, it's nice to see them get another shot, this time with an original property they have complete control over. And even from it earliest moments, it's clear to see that many of the things that made Kemono Friends so endearing and captivating continue to be present in Kemurikusa. From a similar though much more eerie post-apocalyptic setting to battles with seemingly alien entities that don't speak to people who appear to be some kind of lifeform that seems at first glance significantly different from normal humans despite being humanoid, there's a lot on the surface that appears to be similar.

The devil's in the details, though, and that's where Kemurikusa starts to diverge a bit. Without spoiling too much, there is an audience surrogate in Kemurikusa just as there was in Kemono Friends. In perhaps the one aspect of the series I'm still not sold on, however, this character seems a lot less compelling upfront than Kaban-chan was. Much of their dialogue felt ripped from a textbook on anime character cliches, with little of the nuance that I came to expect from some of the more central characters in Kemono Friends. I'm not willing to give the series up based on that alone, but I feel what they choose to do with this character and how they are characterized will be a big sticking point for a lot of people.

One big positive I will say is that TATSUKI and company have gotten a lot better at animating and directing action sequences. There are a pair of fights in this first episode, and both are much more visually impressive than anything we got in Kemono Friends. Considering Kemurikusa seems to put more of an emphasis on action, this is definitely a good thing. I don't remember much of the music in the first episode, though, which is a letdown considering how much of the atmosphere of Kemono Friends was complemented by its exceptional soundtrack.

Overall, there's a lot of things I like in Kemurikusa, but there's a lot of flags regarding things that might become bigger problems for me down the line. It's a less resounding recommendation than I was hoping to make, but I think there's a decent foundation this series can build on. Whether or not it capitalizes on its best aspects remains to be seen, but I'm intrigued to see more, reservations not withstanding.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kemurikusa 1

Kemono Friends 2.0 this is not, but that's not a bad thing. It has the same methodical storytelling, intriguing atmosphere, and character dynamics that made KF such a joy to watch, though obviously with a completely different tone. Male Kaban's sudden appearance is kind of jarring and the jury's out on how they characterize him and integrate him in the world they're building, but he left a good first impression so I'm okay with it.

That blush at the end did make me roll my eyes a little. I mean in the end I know this is still anime we're talking about here but come on.

Frankly, if you liked Kemono Friends you'll probably like this.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Mob S2E1 - Hype levels at maximum! Many parts had me chuckling and smirking. I'm pleasantly surprised by where the story of Mob appears to be going. When the ending song strikes at the end was perfect, looooved it. Week to week is a curse but I can't be waiting all season to binge it.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't posted here in a long time but I've gotta say both Dororo and Mob Psycho's first episode were a delight to watch. I can't wait to continue to watch them especially Dororo. Also Dororo's opening was great.

Also I need to see Promised Wonderland and I'm gonna continue to watch Shield Bro.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I get that it's really intense in certain ways that would prompt strong reactions...but this opening is amazing and I hope people aren't overly dismissive of it because it is outside of what is normally used for an opening.
Dismissing Queen Bee as nothing because you aren't used to something like that for anime is pretty strange to me, maybe if you've only been watching anime for less than half a decade and were very picky in your choices,it really isn't that out there concerning "anime" music. I could just mention Samurai champloo and we'd be somewhere in the same ball park. Devilman no uta by them was a huge hit and everyone was asking why it wasn't the OP song.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing Queen Bee as nothing because you aren't used to something like that for anime is pretty strange to me, maybe if you've only been watching anime for less than half a decade and were very picky in your choices,it really isn't that out there concerning "anime" music. I could just mention Samurai champloo and we'd be somewhere in the same ball park. Devilman no uta by them was a huge hit and everyone was asking why it wasn't the OP song.
I don't really know what you are talking about. The band hardly does any anime work. Absolutely nothing from Samurai Champloo sounds like this. The other anime associated songs from this band do not sound like this. The vocal range being used is atypical for an anime opening, particularly when it stays in such a high place.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what you are talking about. The band hardly does any anime work. Absolutely nothing from Samurai Champloo sounds like this. The other anime associated songs from this band do not sound like this. The vocal range being used is atypical for an anime opening, particularly when it stays in such a high place.
Hitting the high notes doesn't make me think this is an atypical anime song,nor its engrish lyrics, what sort of music fits into anime has no meaning to me over the many shows i have watched. I don't know why i need to be bewildered by music genre choices, people were turned off by the current Jojo ED and i am like "yeah that's just what music Araki listens to" and it's just part of the work.
Dororo's OP gets a feeling across that fits the work imo and other people's dislike of it could come out of simply not liking that sort of music and not it being unusual for anime.

If it's good music i don't care if an anime op is using it, i don't feel like the medium needs to have a range of sounds.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I like the OP song. You are worried about people dismissing it for being not "anime" enough from what you said. I don't know if it comes from that place though .
Edit: Responding with vague images and no explanations certainly leaves me in the dark in how to respond to what. I hope it's not widespread behavior.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the Dororo OP song either.
That's just not my type of music.

That said, this season didn't have a single opening song that blew me away yet.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the Dororo OP song either.
That's just not my type of music.
That's alright and all the explanation needed. See dimb you don't have to be so anxious about this little thing. No complicated reasoning like your explanation of"vocal range being used is atypical for an anime opening ".

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I saw dimb's response as being directed to the phrase "Taiga is probably the only tsundere actually done right." since Arisa (that's the girl in that image) is pretty tsundere herself ha ha

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw dimb's response as being directed to the phrase "Taiga is probably the only tsundere actually done right." since Arisa (that's the girl in that image) is pretty tsundere herself ha ha
Hard to tell if it's not directed at someone. Not like we're on discord chat. Holding a conversation at least requires some sort of etiquette on the normal forum going experience that i am used to. Feel free to make fun of my old internet habits if its going out of style.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to tell if it's not directed at someone. Not like we're on discord chat. Holding a conversation at least requires some sort of etiquette on the normal forum going experience that i am used to. Feel free to make fun of my old internet habits if its going out of style.
dimb clearly needs to brush up on his netiquette.

WRvrDIt.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Score Girl 9
An entire episode of Haruo coming to realisations, seeking betterment, actively trying to communicate, and
that ending... woof, brutal. And down with the happy credits music too...

I'm really, really enjoying this show, if you can't tell. lol.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Taiga is just another small angry girl that's violent to the mc. Any depth comes far too late for me to care.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watching some stuff I missed last year and just got to Planet With. What the hell, this show was dope as fuck. Why was it rated so low.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Watching some stuff I missed last year and just got to Planet With. What the hell, this show was dope as fuck. Why was it rated so low.
Dunno. I've certainly been shilling for it before it even came out :P
Now read Spirit Circle, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Segoku Youko for more Mizukami goodness.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
My Roommate is a Cat - 1

The cat was enjoyable, though it was going to be half the dudes perspective half the cats but its more like two thirds of the episode is the owners perspective with the final third through the cats eyes which is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.