• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's very good in terms of what it sets out to do and be. If you're expecting deep complex arcs on humanity and what not, then look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a big, flashy, fun over the top battle shonen then yeah it's good.

This is a good answer.

depends how you define good.
a good waste of time if you don't mind fairly standard shonen with a good sound track... sure?
good compared to top shonen shows such as one piece or FMA or even detective conan... not so much.

This is not. :/

dragon's dogma anime and davidpro spriggan. what a time to be alive.
https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/anime-production-line-deal

CR had the BD versions of the original show iirc. Netflix would have gotten materials from Viz, I imagine.

Dragon's Dogma? I wonder if they can make the art style not boring.

Oct 25, 2017
good compared to top shonen shows such as one piece or FMA or even detective conan... not so much.
I must vehemently disagree. Never once does Fairy Tail get to the point where youre just watching it for background music as you wait for the climax to happen like most people do for One Piece, thats not to mention the questionable writing mistakes that have plagued One Piece for years. And in FMA's case, never does Fairy Tail reach a point where the plot becomes so senseless and strange that you just have to turn your mind off and mindlessly accept whats happening just because it does. Id never put FMA or One Piece on a top list.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I must vehemently disagree. Never once does Fairy Tail get to the point where youre just watching it for background music as you wait for the climax to happen like most people do for One Piece, thats not to mention the questionable writing mistakes that have plagued One Piece for years. And in FMA's case, never does Fairy Tail reach a point where the plot becomes so senseless and strange that you just have to turn your mind off and mindlessly accept whats happening just because it does. Id never put FMA or One Piece on a top list.

....I don't know what you're talking about lol. Brotherhood blows Fairy Tail out of the water, even if on the whole I do like the cast of FT way more.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think conan is bolded in your response and that is what you took issue with?
because Conan is a vastly superior series to Fairy Tail in general. Fairy Tail only beats it in powered battles (edit: and in music. I really like the fairy tail music :P), mostly because conan doesn't have to many physical battles, but a lot more mental ones. The writing of the major arcs of Conan are actually really good. Sure they take a while and are only slowly built up as we do other cases, but most of those cases are also very well written.

FMA is one of the best series ever made, and the majority of anime watchers would agree with that statement.
If we considered One Piece to be of the quality of Stephen King's writing, at best Fairy tale would be of the Quality of M Night Shyamalan
I enjoy Fairy Tail well enough, but in general it's just a fairly well done Shounen series that doesn't really do anything impressive at any point. The soundtrack is great though.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's 2019 and people are still getting baited by DTL.
At one point I was unsure if I should ever put a warning in the OP, but I've concluded last season that if you get baited by DTL you deserve your fate.
On the subject of Fairy Tail all I will say is, that it is one of the countless subpar to simple horrible action Shounen mangas/animes that makes up that ever growing trash mountain of that genre and demographic combo. I could write an actual post on all the countless issues with the show/manga, but that would mean I would waste even more of my time on series that at best could be considered subpar. I'll use that time elsewhere like watching Heybot! again instead.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I think conan is bolded in your response and that is what you took issue with?
because Conan is a vastly superior series to Fairy Tail in general. Fairy Tail only beats it in powered battles (edit: and in music. I really like the fairy tail music :P), mostly because conan doesn't have to many physical battles, but a lot more mental ones. The writing of the major arcs of Conan are actually really good. Sure they take a while and are only slowly built up as we do other cases, but most of those cases are also very well written.

...How many times has Jimmy gone between being a child and adult? Conan's heavily episodic nature doesn't do it for me. I bowed out when they took it off adult swim ages ago. I'll watch the movies periodically--gonna check out Zero the Enforcer soon--but that's it.

At one point I was unsure if I should ever put a warning in the OP, but I've concluded last season that if you get baited by DTL you deserve your fate.
On the subject of Fairy Tail all I will say is, that it is one of the countless subpar to simple horrible action Shounen mangas/animes that makes up that ever growing trash mountain of that genre and demographic combo. I could write an actual post on all the countless issues with the show/manga, but that would mean I would waste even more of my time on series that at best could be considered subpar. I'll use that time elsewhere like watching Heybot! again instead.

The snobbery that goes on when people discuss shonen online will never stop being amusing. I literally never run into it in real life.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
...How many times has Jimmy gone between being a child and adult? Conan's heavily episodic nature doesn't do it for me. I bowed out when they took it off adult swim ages ago.
a number of times, most of which were actually pretty great and significant to plot development.
I can understand having issues with the episodic nature. If you aren't interested in experiencing decently well written mystery stories then conan won't be for you, but the arcs they build in the series are actually really really good. slowly building them with little bits with each episodic mystery before changing the focus to the arc they have been building and unleashing a great story that is always a ton of fun.

conan likely has one of my favorite reveals in anime that took like 9 years or something like that to happen lol.

Though, I can't deny that most of the great stuff with Conan happens after the first 100 episodes. Introducing Haibara really helped the show a ton and opened it up to a lot more interesting plots going on.

The anime suffers some from a lot of filler episodes, but the cannon eps are usually good. The ones that aren't as good for me are the ones that are typically very Japanese where you need to know Japanese word play to even have a shot of figuring it out.

I do enjoy a lot of the development of the secondary characters though, some of the stuff involving the police force makes for a solid romcom :P

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean shounen is pretty much written for a young demographic, it's not surprising it would get shat on

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
HUH!
The April issue of Akita Shoten's Bessatsu Shōnen Champion magazine revealed on Tuesday that Tohru Fujisawa will launch his planned Red Data Planet manga with co-creator Iomaru in the magazine's August issue on July 12. The April issue published a "pre-serialization" chapter on Tuesday.

Fujisawa had announced the manga in August 2013, with a planned launch in Kodansha's Magazine Special in December 2013. However, the manga did not launch in that magazine as planned.

Akita Shoten now reports that Fujisawa is working with Iomaru to serialize the manga.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...fujisawa-starts-red-data-planet-manga/.144386

only 6 years late. could be worse :P

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
...How many times has Jimmy gone between being a child and adult? Conan's heavily episodic nature doesn't do it for me. I bowed out when they took it off adult swim ages ago. I'll watch the movies periodically--gonna check out Zero the Enforcer soon--but that's it.

The snobbery that goes on when people discuss shonen online will never stop being amusing. I literally never run into it in real life.

It's LITERALLY the only medium that does this too as far as I can tell since even comics and games respect all of the various genres that make them up. Like yeah FT has all kinds of story telling problems that me and my old forum group used to riff on all the time, but not a single one of questioned that it was incredibly good at doing its job of delivering in big explosive fights that you could just kick back and relax to and everyone enjoyed it for what it was, a battle shonen that was all about power of friendship(even if it was over the top with this). A lot of the medium feels like they took "growing up" as meaning be "pseudo intellectual and fake deep" since there's a shit load of stuff you can pick apart from Detective Conan and while FMA is godly and all, in doesn't scratch the same itch.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I mean shounen is pretty much written for a young demographic, it's not surprising it would get shat on

Except...it doesn't. When I hold conversations about anime IRL I never have this issue. People seem to be fully capable of comprehending that different genres and series serve different purposes.

It's LITERALLY the only medium that does this too as far as I can tell since even comics and games respect all of the various genres that make them up. Like yeah FT has all kinds of story telling problems that me and my old forum group used to riff on all the time, but not a single one of questioned that it was incredibly good at doing its job of delivering in big explosive fights that you could just kick back and relax to and everyone enjoyed it for what it was, a battle shonen that was all about power of friendship(even if it was over the top with this). A lot of the medium feels like they took "growing up" as meaning be "pseudo intellectual and fake deep" since there's a shit load of stuff you can pick apart from Detective Conan and while FMA is godly and all, in doesn't scratch the same itch.

Early 2000s saw a lot of people trashing superheroes, hiding behind the issue that non superhero comics didn't get enough attention. It quieted down once some comics started to break out--the opportunities were there, plus people realized indie comics weren't an instant ticket to quality storytelling either. But no other medium has fans who are allowed to do it so regularly without ever being called out for it.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
Except...it doesn't. When I hold conversations about anime IRL I never have this issue. People seem to be fully capable of comprehending that different genres and series serve different purposes.

Early 2000s saw a lot of people trashing superheroes, hiding behind the issue that non superhero comics didn't get enough attention. It quieted down once some comics started to break out--the opportunities were there, plus people realized indie comics weren't an instant ticket to quality storytelling either. But no other medium has fans who are allowed to do it so regularly without ever being called out for it.

100% agree with that first paragraph.

I wasn't there for that and I fully admit I didn't get into comics until WAAAAY later, but even then it didn't feel this aggro since people could still appreciate well made comics and admittedly early and mid 2000's were...mixed in terms of quality at times for Superhero comics.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the medium feels like they took "growing up" as meaning be "pseudo intellectual and fake deep" since there's a shit load of stuff you can pick apart from Detective Conan and while FMA is godly and all, in doesn't scratch the same itch.
I might be misreading this, but are you trying to say that Detective Conan was part of the "growing up" you are talking about and "pseudo intellectual and fake deep"?

I ask because Conan predates pretty much all well known battle shonen aside from dbz. Aka the big 3, Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto which came after and had a huge influence on the shounen market came after.

also... it might take a while to get there, and it might take a while between things, but there is nothing fake deep about conan. The plot lines of the major arcs, and the intelligence the creator has to have to make them so consistent is off the charts.

Also I won't deny that conan doesn't scratch the same itch. Never claimed it did. Just that I would consider it better than fairy tail and that in general I would consider the battles more satisfying, but they are mental battles not physical ones, so if you want to watch flash physical ones conan won't cut that at all.

I will say I don't understand why Fairy Tail gets crapped on so much though. As I originally said "a good waste of time if you don't mind fairly standard shonen with a good sound track... sure? " Aka if you want to watch battles and just have some fun it's good. It's not like it's bad at what it does, it just doesn't have the storylines that grip me like FMA or One Piece does. There are a number of series I consider to have a better go of it then Fairy tail, the first 133 eps of naruto or first 60 some episodes of bleach are easily way better to me than the equivelent episodes in fairy tail. But I still watch fairy tail (granted I still need to finish the last season and catch up on the current one) because overall it's enjoyable enough. Best ever, nah, but it's not a series that is just horrible without any good ideas or decent fights.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
I might be misreading this, but are you trying to say that Detective Conan was part of the "growing up" you are talking about and "pseudo intellectual and fake deep"?

I ask because Conan predates pretty much all well known battle shonen aside from dbz. Aka the big 3, Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto which came after and had a huge influence on the shounen market came after.

also... it might take a while to get there, and it might take a while between things, but there is nothing fake deep about conan. The plot lines of the major arcs, and the intelligence the creator has to have to make them so consistent is off the charts.

Also I won't deny that conan doesn't scratch the same itch. Never claimed it did. Just that I would consider it better than fairy tail and that in general I would consider the battles more satisfying, but they are mental battles not physical ones, so if you want to watch flash physical ones conan won't cut that at all.

I will say I don't understand why Fairy Tail gets crapped on so much though. As I originally said "a good waste of time if you don't mind fairly standard shonen with a good sound track... sure? " Aka if you want to watch battles and just have some fun it's good. It's not like it's bad at what it does, it just doesn't have the storylines that grip me like FMA or One Piece does. There are a number of series I consider to have a better go of it then Fairy tail, the first 133 eps of naruto or first 60 some episodes of bleach are easily way better to me than the equivelent episodes in fairy tail. But I still watch fairy tail (granted I still need to finish the last season and catch up on the current one) because overall it's enjoyable enough. Best ever, nah, but it's not a series that is just horrible without any good ideas or decent fights.

Latter part about pseudo intellectual nonsense. I haven't kept up in AGES with DC so whatever is going on is beyond me. A lot of cases DO operate on Fridge Logic like the Moonlight Sonata case and a few others like Villa Murder one as well and there are likely several more. Detective Conan is great as well, but yeah the instant you REALLY think hard about some things the immersion breaks and you notice the flaws.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Fairy Tail is worth hating on. Sure it's got mediocre writing and far more fanservice than necessary, but if you want a dumb shonen you could do a lot worse. I think. Fairy Tail is one of the only big shonen I bothered to read/watch, and from what I remember it passed the baseline entertainment without being particularly offensive test.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully edens zero gets animated in 2020

Someone's going to have to explain why Mashima made half the cast of EZ look like Fairy Tail. If there's no explanation then there's really no excuse.

There's not a character in Naruto or Bleach I like more than the cast of Fairy Tail, personally.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Latter part about pseudo intellectual nonsense. I haven't kept up in AGES with DC so whatever is going on is beyond me. A lot of cases DO operate on Fridge Logic like the Moonlight Sonata case and a few others like Villa Murder one as well and there are likely several more. Detective Conan is great as well, but yeah the instant you REALLY think hard about some things the immersion breaks and you notice the flaws.
the timeline is totally screwed I will grant you that. The only way the show makes any sense is if it takes place in a reverse hyperbolic time chamber that instead of turning 1 day into a year it turns 100 days into 1 when it comes to aging and progression of characters.

the series has been running for 23 years and officially I think 6 months have passed in the story :P

I also won't disagree that some of the episodic cases get a bit out there, even if they are in general based off actual cases that the creator researches and then redesigns for his manga. I've never claimed the series was perfect, but most of the major arcs that take place are some of the best writing in shounen. They are well planed out, well set up, involve great characters, and lots of intelligent well polished writing. The downside of which is they really don't start paying off until like 200 episodes into the anime lol.

but yeah, don't think I'm trying to say Conan is vastly superior to Fairy Tail. I'm just saying Fairy Tail isn't as good.
For comparison the ratings I gave the shows on MAL

Conan - 9/10
One piece - 10/10
FMA - 10/10
Fairy Tail - 8/10 (first series rating)
I gave the first series of naruto 7/10, though the only reason it is below fairy tail is because of the 80 episodes of filler to end the series.
bleach is a 6/10 (but the first 60 episodes or so are a 9/10)

I prefer My hero academia to both fairy tail and conan though :P
There's not a character in Naruto or Bleach I like more than the cast of Fairy Tail, personally.

I find Natsu to be equally as annoying as Naruto most of the time.
I like gray, but I got tried of his stripping gag the moment it started so most of the time I'm annoyed with him outside of the combat
Erza is fun, but she is constantly used as a vessel for fan service, and is typically done dirty. The universe constantly tells me she is way stronger than Natsu or Gray, but in almost any given arc it's Natsu who rises up instead of Erza.
I like Lucy as a character, but she is almost always poorly used in the arcs and often is just there having no business being with the rest of them.
Also bleach and naruto don't have Happy. which is a huge plus as far as the main cast goes for those shows because 99% of the time Happy is just annoying.

That being said, Overall I think the cast of fairy tail is indeed more interesting than Naruto or Bleach, just the arcs they are apart in aren't as interesting as the respective primes of those series to me.

Came across it in one of my colleges anime clubs :( dont dare say cowboy bebop is not good or praise Tokyo Ghoul.
you complain about the promised neverland adaption.
you should compare Tokyo Ghoul anime to the manga sometime #_#

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
remember when we all wore monocles? what a weird time in life.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Cowboy Bebop is good, but I feel like its significance as the greatest anime ever is heavily due to it having such a good dub. It's good and influential no doubt.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i love bebop, but as time has gone on i've come to recognise some issues, like the pacing is really scattershot on a per episode basis. it's the two-parters like juipter jazz and stuff where the show really breathes.

it's still a brilliant series.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoy Bebop, but I can't fault anyone who doesn't enjoy it. I however can fault anyone that can't find a few songs to like from the soundtrack.

Rain, which also has a version with a female singer instead of the male one.

and plenty of other great songs.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
im just popping in here - i dont watch that much anime as an adult, but i would like to watch a few i think this year. can i get some recommendations for stuff in the last 10 years? i don't want to see anything that leans way too stereotypically into anime tropes or any comedy-specific anime (i've never found comedy-based anime particularly funny), but i would be fine with something like Space Dandy or Trigun in tone. i was a kid/teen in the late 90s/early 00s so i saw all the main shounen animes of that era and pretty much all the anime on adult swim before like 2008 but not much else. I did watch Devilman Crybaby last year and found it to be be really emotionally good near the end but overall written awfully

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ost of the forever

let's kick the beat!

i still remember reading that it was originally pitched as a vehicle to sell the plastic toys of the Swordfish and stuff and that Watanabe took the idea and ran away with it before anyone in charge realised what had happened

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
im just popping in here - i dont watch that much anime as an adult, but i would like to watch a few i think this year. can i get some recommendations for stuff in the last 10 years? i don't want to see anything that leans way too stereotypically into anime tropes or any comedy-specific anime (i've never found comedy-based anime particularly funny), but i would be fine with something like Space Dandy or Trigun in tone. i was a kid/teen in the late 90s/early 00s so i saw all the main shounen animes of that era and pretty much all the anime on adult swim before like 2008 but not much else. I did watch Devilman Crybaby last year and found it to be be really emotionally good near the end but overall written awfully
on the off chance you didn't watch it
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist__Brotherhood

the rest I'm just gonna do a couple solid movies from recent history
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12355/Ookami_Kodomo_no_Ame_to_Yuki

there is a ton more but eh, I'm lazy tonight lol

ost of the forever

let's kick the beat!

i still remember reading that it was originally pitched as a vehicle to sell the plastic toys of the Swordfish and stuff and that Watanabe took the idea and ran away with it before anyone in charge realised what had happened

I think Nana beats out the OST for me. I adore both, but Nana has more vocal songs I prefer, and in general I prefer vocal songs vs ones without vocals.

the youtube page has the songs linked and detailed.

like Winter Sleep is one of my go to songs when I want something relaxing and pretty

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
nana is one of those things i've been meaning to read/watch forever

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
nana is one of those things i've been meaning to read/watch forever
Nana is something I love, and want to recommend to everyone.
it's got great characters
a great story
great music
there is just one major thing it's missing... a great ending.

The anime near it's run shifted and started calling it the first season, making it obvious they were planning a second season. It ends... okay I guess, hinting towards some very major things. It's not a satisfying ending, but it's okay.

so go read the manga right?
a year or two after the anime wrapped up the manga artist got sick.
The manga just stops because of this, and while she has improved enough that she does Nana drawings from time to time she still doesn't feel like she can handle resuming the manga.
Last I heard she was still intending to some day but...
In June 2009, it was revealed that Yazawa had contracted a sudden illness, and had to be sent to hospital for treatment, putting Nana on hiatus.[3] She returned from the hospital in April 2010, although has yet to reveal when or if she will be continuing Nana.[4]

If you can deal with such a situation I highly recommend it if you can enjoy romance focused stories (and it's not high school romance). If you can't though I sadly have to recommend you don't join the rest of us clinging to hope that one day Nana will be finished.

perhaps if Fruits Basket is successful and Ai Yazawa is willing they can create a new Nana series that covers the end that she originally envisioned.

May 26, 2018
I quite enjoy Bebop, but I can't fault anyone who doesn't enjoy it. I however can fault anyone that can't find a few songs to like from the soundtrack.

Rain, which also has a version with a female singer instead of the male one.

and plenty of other great songs.

There was a perfect mix of the male and female versions of Rain on YouTube sometime back. It got taken down, but it was the absolute best.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There was a perfect mix of the male and female versions of Rain on YouTube sometime back. It got taken down, but it was the absolute best.
I mixed together the two versions myself at one point, they didn't totally match up, but when they did they sounded great together so I imagine that if you got them together correctly it would sound quite nice.

which I might as well do a quick search and...

seems to be a few different mixes
one that makes it more a duet

one that just mixes them

and one sorta legit version where they actually performed it live together :P

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
LN Anime adaptation's success and its correlation to eventual sequel never fail to confuse me.

I remember that Ultimatemegax dude that very adamant for saying Haruhi will never get anime again because its already advertised the novel enough.. but Haruhi is one the top earner anime ever. I'm sorry but you never gonna convince me those sales from 3 bucks novel is grossing more revenue than the insane disc sales that the anime had and the movie also one of the most successful anime movie ever. But yet that dude is right no Haruhi anime ever got made again. Altho I still believe thats not the literal reason.

I mean, I'm sure megax would agree that it's sligtly more complicated than that - that the author of the Haruhi novels basically stopped writing anything following the anime meant that there was literally nothing new to promote. If he continued to write additional novels, then maybe they'd have made more, but there were literally no novels for Kadokawa to sell that folks wouldn't have bought off the back of the prior productions.

In addition to that, KyoAni obviously started to transition to a model where they own more of the property rights to a show shortly following that, so it's not like there would have been much incentive for them to get involved in making someone else wealthy at that point.

Kyoukai no Senjou Horizon also insanely successful LN adaptation but we never got sequel again.

Horizon was literal murder on the shows pre-production staff. Insanely over complicated story aside, the number of unique design elements in even just the number of episodes produced dwarfs a lot of significantly longer shows. It was a significantly more difficult production that many of the staff involved were not super-keen to repeat.

In addition to that, around the same time, maybe the specific sub-studio within Sunrise might have been the ones responsible for Love Live, and I'm pretty sure you know which one was more worthwhile for those involved...

Speaking of idol shows and production woes, this is a pretty wild read, if just for the unusual amount of industry mudslinging.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
i dont know if this is the right place to ask , but is Batman Ninja worth the watch ?

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
WRT The Promised Neverland, I feel the need to bring up the fact that people outside this thread like the anime because unlike, say, Shield Hero, you're pretty likely to see TPN brought up in a positive way in EtcetEra anime threads while you aren't here, which definitely confused me at first until I realized what was going on. For me at least, I also choose not to post my episode reactions here partially because it seems like no one has anything positive to say. And partially due to the extra effort of posting in two threads.
This strikes me as a little peculiar because it suggests a need to form a 'consensus' opinion which must be contrasted against the 'outliers' in this thread. Is there genuinely a need for this framing device or would it be sufficient to say that some people like it and some don't? Instead you chose a frame which implies that because 'less' people are critical of the show their opinion should be ignored/marginalised. Leaving aside this framing, I believe there are plenty of other places where people are critical of the series - but I don't think it really matters either way because consensus building is unnecessary.

With regards to you reluctance to post impressions here - I can at least understand this. I don't often post negative opinions in main show threads for the opposite reason - there's too many positive impressions in those threads. Therefore I'd be outlier in a different direction and that feels weird. Still, I should get over this impulse.

I'd like to clarify that there should never be any concern for people who wants to post views that go 'against the grain'. Everyone can post their impressions or views here. I'm not going to attack you just because you like a series I don't. This is always pointless because matters of taste can't be argued. Of course, if you're interested in debating what makes a work successful, or how a series handles representation, or what themes a series is examining - then we may have a more in-depth, more critical discussion because then there's something 'meaty' to talk about. I understand lots of people aren't interested in going that far - they just want to post some impressions of an anime they like and see what other people thought. There's room for all of that here.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
i dont know if this is the right place to ask , but is Batman Ninja worth the watch ?

I enjoyed it a great deal, but I'm also not a huge Batman fan and largely like it when it goes weird as heck. The guy who wrote it is generally known, at least in his anime work, for a sense of wild but sometimes nonsensical escalation - Batman Ninja is pretty much on that form, and whilst I found that enormous fun, it's extremely not what a lot of people want out of Batman.

Watch it subbed if you can - the dub script doesn't bear a whole a lot resemblance to what was originally written in places, and is generally the worse for it.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

A broad list and YMMV and all that but given your set of requirements my propositions are as follows:

Mononoke (TV series) - Stretching the time range a bit but it's worth it. Self contained arcs about 'ghosts' and an 'exorcist' of sorts
Mushishi - switch ghosts with 'mushi and it's somewhat similar to above except episodic.
Fate/Zero
Kyousougiga
Mouryo no Hako
House of Five Leaves
Redline
Kuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Tatami Galaxy
Katanagatari
Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World
Tsuritama
Yamato 2199 -
Not really a fan but it's a rare and superbly produced space opera that belongs here through vox populi.
Ping Pong the Animation
Will shamelessly add a favorite of mine; Mawaru Penguindrum also but do not it's heavy on comedy and it probably requires a not miniscule amount of tolerance for animeisms.

With the exception of Hofl&Yamato, all of the above are complete and finished and the former too felt like it had fairly conclusive ending IIRC. Yamato's sequel is finishing soon.
Some other, unfinished shows that people liked and warrant a mention:
Land of Lustrous
Mob Psycho
One Punch Man
March Comes in Like a Lion -
mainly character drama but with fair amount of comedy, quite a bit of it jarring.
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Haikyuu

Can't really think of something like Space Dandy, it's a rare breed both production & premise wise but Trigun's author had a new manga of his Blood Blockade Battlefront, adapted into two seasons of anime. Somewhat similar to that (BBB) in tone is Bungou Stray Dogs.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Folks, I think Penguindrum might be my favourite Ikuhara show. More than Utena. I know that's blasphemous but I can't deny these feelings anymore.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, I think Penguindrum might be my favourite Ikuhara show. More than Utena. I know that's blasphemous but I can't deny these feelings anymore.
Utena still my fave but Im also in minority that think Penguindrum is great.

Kumabear in otherhand wad meh.

DiGiKerot

Thanks for the reply. I cant add anything more tho. I think you already cover anything that I want to said!

Status
Not open for further replies.