• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Due to lack of any other shows going on, I un-dropped Golden Wind and caught up. It didn't ever really get as bad as the parts that made me drop it, but I still think this is a sub-par season of Jojo's. The best characters either don't get enough screentime or get killed off. The fight scenes have stopped even making internal logic a lot of the time and have basically become an elaborate excuse for constant ability cancelling.

Though in all fairness, I suspect the fault is with the source material, since the anime is doing a good job with the sequences people say are the peaks.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
My Roommate Is A Cat 5
The cat animation in this show is sublime. is it just me or is this one of the comfiest shows ever? I really like the format where we get basically human side/cat side. Stuff just flies by.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
If your animal-themed show has good animal animation, that is an easy recipe to me liking it.

Nov 1, 2017
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - 23

That's it? What happened to the demon lord leon? I thought slime-san end goal was kill leon. No? And who was the character hiding behind the tree?

While i absolutely loved the first half (till the orc lord arc), the second half was disappointing for me. Is there any chance for a second season?

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018

That's it? What happened to the demon lord leon? I thought slime-san end goal was kill leon. No? And who was the character hiding behind the tree?

While i absolutely loved the first half (till the orc lord arc), the second half was disappointing for me. Is there any chance for a second season?

I agree with you, loved the first half, but the second half was a snoozefest for me. The source material is still ongoing, so there's that.

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru 21
Man, this anime sure knows how to make me emotional. Yuki's mother supporting him, Nico's past. Hope we're going to know a little bit more about King in the next episode.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Could have sworn those designs are straight up from Genocidal Organ but I'm not seeing any connection to it in the staff.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
This looks interesting.
I remember liking episode 1 of Izetta the Last Witch and finding the rest terrible and dropping it by episode 3 or 4. No link whatsoever other than magic in what looks like a WWII environment.
I hope this fares better.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019

A big reason for why things got rushed and then suddenly stopped here is because it is now caught up to the manga in Japan and Kodansha wants to drum up sales for this coming arc above anything else they do with any ongoing published work they have.

A second season would be greatly welcome and we still have two more episodes left, one of Shizu meeting the demon in black we saw followed by one of Veldora's POV of things.

A season 2 wouldn't surprise me for a variety of complex reasons pertaining to the production of the series, but I'd rather it be about the skipped content getting fleshed out more than anything else.

Edit: I can go into more detail, but that would be going into spoiler territory.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I binged Slime and Sword Art this time. Sword Art is turning out as I should have expected it to. Kirito is, as per usual, channeling his Mary Sue card. Of course he and blond friend-kun just barge into the headquarters of a magical knight organisation kicking ass and taking names. Girl friend-san's intermittent breaks don't seem to serve much of a purpose other than reminding us that she does, indeed, still exist. And blond friend-kun is simply love-deprived? Well, uh... okay, I guess? I mean, he is just an AI in the making, so he should probably remember that feeling. All he'll experience in the future. I'm joking. Hard to sell a dreary future, when everyone already knows that every little thing is going to be okay.

Slime. Started out nice. Pleasant village building. We soon ended up with explosions. And power levels. And more explosions! And more power levels! Zzz. Have seen this about a hundred times before. I'll pass on season 2, assuming it exists.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I keep seeing stuff about Black Clover.
I tried to start it but it seems really slow and the main character is kinda annoying....I got FOMO though.

So anyone tell me when does Black Clover gets Good?.....no hate to anyone who likes the first arc or whatever.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
I binged Slime and Sword Art this time. Sword Art is turning out as I should have expected it to. Kirito is, as per usual, channeling his Mary Sue card. Of course he and blond friend-kun just barge into the headquarters of a magical knight organisation kicking ass and taking names. Girl friend-san's intermittent breaks don't seem to serve much of a purpose other than reminding us that she does, indeed, still exist. And blond friend-kun is simply love-deprived? Well, uh... okay, I guess? I mean, he is just an AI in the making, so he should probably remember that feeling. All he'll experience in the future. I'm joking. Hard to sell a dreary future, when everyone already knows that every little thing is going to be okay.

Slime. Started out nice. Pleasant village building. We soon ended up with explosions. And power levels. And more explosions! And more power levels! Zzz. Have seen this about a hundred times before. I'll pass on season 2, assuming it exists.

They cut out a LOT of the world building, character development, and fantasy Civ stuff. Ideally Season 2 would all about that since picking up where we left off would make zero fucking sense otherwise. Best I can recommend would be to pick up the manga or better yet the LN which detail those things much more.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They cut out a LOT of the world building, character development, and fantasy Civ stuff. Ideally Season 2 would all about that since picking up where we left off would make zero fucking sense otherwise. Best I can recommend would be to pick up the manga or better yet the LN which detail those things much more.
That would be a lovely change of pace. The world, though it may not be amazing, is still interesting enough for me to want to see some inter-regional interactions. Seeing that map got me all eager. Okay, I'll check out the manga or LN and see if I want more.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to start it but it seems really slow and the main character is kinda annoying....I got FOMO though.

So anyone tell me when does Black Clover gets Good?.....no hate to anyone who likes the first arc or whatever.
The pacing of the anime at the start is horrible, especially when compared to the fast pacing the manga is known for having, though there are some arcs where the pacing are decent.

Personally, I think the Black Clover gets good when it's at the Water Temple arc(4th arc?), which is like 40 episodes in. Though the one area where Black Clover doesn't improve is with the animation and art, which 70 episodes in are still very inconsistent.

If you're still interested in the series I would highly recommend reading the manga and watch some few highlighted episodes(ep 34 or 63) or if you love the series and characters enough you might get some enjoyment watching the anime as I have so far.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's a decent series, but the animation and pacing of the anime is so all over the place, that I can't recommend the anime.

I'd honestly just recommend reading the manga if you want to get into the series.

doomrider7

Feb 21, 2019
That would be a lovely change of pace. The world, though it may not be amazing, is still interesting enough for me to want to see some inter-regional interactions. Seeing that map got me all eager. Okay, I'll check out the manga or LN and see if I want more.

Check out the Slime Diaries Spinoff which is nothing but Slice of Life goodness with development for side characters. Plus we see Santa versions of the Dwarves and Veldora(not translated yet though).

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There are a few interesting battle sequences here and there. It's mostly trash, though, so don't get your hopes up. Episode 34 and 35 might be to your liking.
The pacing of the anime at the start is horrible, especially when compared to the fast pacing the manga is known for having, though there are some arcs where the pacing are decent.

Personally, I think the Black Clover gets good when it's at the Water Temple arc(4th arc?), which is like 40 episodes in. Though the one area where Black Clover doesn't improve is with the animation and art, which 70 episodes in are still very inconsistent.

If you're still interested in the series I would highly recommend reading the manga and watch some few highlighted episodes(ep 34 or 63) or if you love the series and characters enough you might get some enjoyment watching the anime as I have so far.
It's a decent series, but the animation and pacing of the anime is so all over the place, that I can't recommend the anime.

I'd honestly just recommend reading the manga if you want to get into the series.

Thanks guys.
Think I might just pass this anime over.
Ive got enough actually good anime.

Probably read the manga just to see if the story is worth the time.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hugtto Precure - Futari wa Precure - All Star Memories

Hugtto's big solo film... is yet another crossover. Because that's what this season really needed. The All Stars movies have been more miss than hit as of late, but the one in the show was actually pretty good if you ignore how it hurt the actual story. So how does this one land? First off, I kind of hate the premise of this movie. You go through all the trouble of not only bringing back every single main Cure (RIP Echo), but all the seiyuus as well, setting up the biggest magical girl crossover of all time, allowing all these varying personalities and experiences to bounce off each other before culminating in an epic fight, and you turn them all into babies? That's how you decide to celebrate the big 15th anniversary? Really?

Now I get that having all the seiyuus doesn't mean you can go all out on this. Too many characters to deal with, very limited time, and the voice acting budget is still limited. And the target audience is young girls, not cynical grown-ups, so they're more likely to enjoy this kind of shenanigans. Except the target audience excuse doesn't work this time, which I'll get to later. Either way, making all the past heroines babies and damseling them yet again (the All Stars movies pull this way too often) is just lame. They can't do anything cool or have much funny background interactions in this state. There's a bit of that if you really look hard, but there's just so little of it that the massive crossover feels pointless. And they don't even do anything interesting with it like get all the babies to fight or something. Could've used the gimmick more effectively at least. Even the end fight was pretty lame from this view. No real crossover action, just everyone pulling off their signature moves and phrases, but now in CG. This all makes for nice marketing that I'm sure paid off in the box office, but the weekly show pulled off better fanservice, and that's kind of sad.

Nagisa and Honoka got some decent treatment at least. The luster of the OG and current teams working together is lost when it's the third time in like 4 months (if you saw this in theaters), but they were actually used enough with a few decent moments to justify them being in this. Mostly Nagisa as is custom, but I got used to that long ago. It's the cliche demonstrating how strong their friendship is we've seen all the time, transcending even memories, but it still works overall. The Hugtto team minus Hana on the other hand, eh. This should be their movie, and they get a decent amount of screen-time, but they still feel cheated. Ruru manages well at least, stealing the scene whenever she gets a bit of focus. That's the robot for you. Emiru is at least consistently amusing, and her being a terrible baby was kind of funny. Homare and Saaya got their own moments, especially when Saaya's geek self came out, but it was still more undercooked than I liked. Robbed from their movie just like the show.

So with all those complaints, do I like this movie? Actually, yes. This comes down to three reasons. First, they really nail the theme of memories. The villain is a cursed camera that was lost and this unable to form any memories or experiences of its own. And while the how of that is unexplained and kind of lame in its own right (if random cameras can nearly destroy the world how is everyone still alive?) it fits in with the theme of how important our memories are and how much we should treasure them. Miden isn't the best villain even among All Stars (certainly not the coolest fighter), but it's set up well in both dialogue and with the various sounds it makes. One of those tragic villains that works even if you have to jump through a lot of mental hoops. Most surprisingly, they break the fourth wall to ask the audience to cheer for the Cures to get better, and in the moment it actually works. The whole theme is based around memories, and we've already seen Cures recover earlier because of their shared memories. So them being helped by 15 years of audience memory and adoration of the Cures is both thematically appropriate and ties back to the whole anniversary this is supposed to celebrate. However, this does mean they're targeting older fans at this point, which leads into some of the criticisms I mentioned earlier.

Second, very solid direction all throughout. An all CG movie may be worrying to some, but it gives some nice visual variety and looks pretty consistently from what I could tell. Well, the Precure team has a lot of experience with CG at this point. Lots of pretty shots in the villain's lair, and while the fights aren't the best, they're still decent overall. More importantly, they strike a tone early on and stick to it. This may be an action movie based on a celebration, but the cheers and jokes are rather subdued most of the time for a more somber or melancholic experience. Not depressing, but even with cute babies running around there's a sense of tension and worry the whole time. This may not be the worst threat they've faced, but they do take this seriously the whole time. And there is emotional payoff when the villain's backstory and motivations are slowly unraveled, and it's not cheap drama, but actual sadness and sympathy for what happened. Still lame because it's a lonely camera, but it's sold as well as it can be.

Finally, the main heroine herself, Hana Nono. Cure Yell. She was indisputably the center of both the show and the earlier Hugtto movie. And so maybe she's got so much of that pink bias going on that I dislike so much. But she's always been such a sound and well-written character, so I can't get angry at her. She's trying to keep it all together even with minimal support. Tying back into the main show, she learns that taking care of babies requires a lot of patience, even if it's totally understandable to want to yell at them. But beyond that, one of her biggest strengths, and possibly weaknesses, has been her endless sympathy and attempt to reach out to her villains. It was a major aspect of the first movie, it served as the crux for her rivalry with George, and it makes her both flawed and a true hero here. We get the full thought process of her trying to understand Miden and reaching out to it so that it won't be trapped in the same cycle of despair as before. The whole scene is sold very well, and while it certainly causes problems, in the end she wins with what she knows best, her compassion.

The second movie for each Precure season is often a good summary of what did and didn't work for the season. This is one case where that holds true. It's a well made movie with a strong thematic core. But it's bogged down by additional elements that don't add enough and just end up bringing the whole experience down. Should've kept it to just a Hugtto/Futari wa crossover. They had one scene that justified the massive crossover, but on the whole it wasn't worth it. As an anniversary movie, it's eh. But as a Hugtto/Futari wa movie, and especially a Cure Yell movie, I'd say it's pretty good.

Well, the Maho Girls has a good six movie run, but I guess it's time to say goodbye. I'll miss those witches. Until they decide to pull yet another massive crossover. Not sure what the best way to do it is, but if they do it again hopefully they can strike a more balanced celebration than what this ended up being.

I know that there's this quality issue with precure movies but given that none of them were really centered around Hugtto (maybe the overall outline wouldn't suit a movie or whatever, idk) doesn't exactly inspire me to watch them since the crossover aspect was overdone this season.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I've continued to watch Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan week to week, and it's been a pretty great and surprising collection of shorts. One week, you might get Yoshitomo Yonetani (Food Wars, Tiger & Bunny: The Rising) directing a wild farce about Ekoda dealing with pests in her apartment, containing an unbroken fast-moving thirty-second cut as she tries to swat a mosquito. The very next, you get Ryousuke Takahashi (VOTOMS) doing a slow-paced rotoscoped snapshot of Ekoda in her apartment. Masayuki Kobayashi (Master Keaton, Monster, Made in Abyss) handled what may have been my favorite episode so far, placing more focus on how Ekoda is viewed by others at a drinking party with her friend M. Even last week, Spice and Wolf director Takeo Takahashi (so shy that he refused to appear on camera for the post-short interview and had a voice actor deliver his answers) handled his three minutes as a single unbroken first-person cut with some very effectively-implemented CG at Ekoda's day job in a life insurance company phone center.

But the most surprising episode yet, naturally, came from Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi, Flowers of Evil), who collaborated with award-winning modern artist Yuriko Sasaoka for this week's episode. The intro will not prepare you. It was the first time I really wanted to see the post-interview production segment. Nagahama, Sasaoka, and VA Ai Kobayashi also deliver the best interview of the show.

I'm really glad this show exists, and it's gotten me thinking about importing the full manga.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I only watched the first two episodes of Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan but there's one thing I'd like to ask once it ends (maybe it already has an answer).
Is any of the episodes directed by a woman or is it all men?

Oct 25, 2017

Could have sworn those designs are straight up from Genocidal Organ but I'm not seeing any connection to it in the staff.

The designs are similar in the sense that they're fairly detailed, realistically-styled adult designs (look at all those noses!) going for a gritty atmosphere. I'm not sure there's a strong technical identity beyond that.

I do have the sinking feeling this show will be another Sirius the Jaeger - maybe a couple neat action sequences but otherwise a vapid and forgettable work.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I've continued to watch Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan week to week, and it's been a pretty great and surprising collection of shorts.
I really want to get into this show, but the live action interviews really bogs down the pacing IMO.

Should I just skip the interviews, or should I just get through them to get to the animation?

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I only watched the first two episodes of Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan but there's one thing I'd like to ask once it ends (maybe it already has an answer).
Is any of the episodes directed by a woman or is it all men?
All the directors were announced before it started airing, and they're all male. That disappointed me, not just for how it might impact the content but also for how it sort of limited the interview space. However good the directors are at understanding the material, most of them are aware that they're seeing it as outsiders. I wanted a perspective from a creator who could connect to it (or at least different aspects of the work) more personally.

This week changed that, because most of this week's episode was driven by Yuriko Sasaoka's creative vision, which fully justified her being one of the people involved in the post-episode interview. I'm glad Nagahama made space for that kind of collaboration.

I really want to get into this show, but the live action interviews really bogs down the pacing IMO.

Should I just skip the interviews, or should I just get through them to get to the animation?

If you don't like the interviews, feel free to move on to the next episode once the end credits are done. It's still good just as a collection of shorts.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
All the directors were announced before it started airing, and they're all male. That disappointed me, not just for how it might impact the content but also for how it sort of limited the interview space. However good the directors are at understanding the material, most of them are aware that they're seeing it as outsiders. I wanted a perspective from a creator who could connect to it (or at least different aspects of the work) more personally.

This week changed that, because most of this week's episode was driven by Yuriko Sasaoka's creative vision, which fully justified her being one of the people involved in the post-episode interview. I'm glad Nagahama made space for that kind of collaboration.
Thanks for the clarification. It is indeed disappointing. Obviously the existing anime director pool will skew towards older men but it shouldn't have been impossible to get at least a woman to direct one of the episodes (even if that had to be her first directorial work while being previously involved in similar tasks if competence was seen as a possible problem).
look at all those noses!
That's because they are in a European looking environment, not because hey are adults. :P They should all be saying "Pera pera" instead of speaking Japanese for added effect. ;)

Last edited:

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Due to lack of any other shows going on, I un-dropped Golden Wind and caught up. It didn't ever really get as bad as the parts that made me drop it, but I still think this is a sub-par season of Jojo's. The best characters either don't get enough screentime or get killed off. The fight scenes have stopped even making internal logic a lot of the time and have basically become an elaborate excuse for constant ability cancelling.

Though in all fairness, I suspect the fault is with the source material, since the anime is doing a good job with the sequences people say are the peaks.

Golden Wind has always been divisive in the western fanbase but it and Part 3 are always vying for number 1 spot in the Japanese fanbase. It really depends on what you're looking for. I think Part 5 has some of the best fights (Grateful Dead/Beach Boy, White Album, first appearance of KC, and some later ones that haven't happened yet), but then you have characters like Fugo who don't matter and characters like Narancia who are pretty underused.

Also I don't know what you mean by "best characters" getting no screentime or killed off because the 2 best are Mista and Bruno and they get the majority of screentime.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
My Roommate is a Cat 10

All Slice of Life shows must have at least one episode entirely dedicated to cooking food. It is anime law.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017

i watched the sub and hated it because of asta's voice and came back later with the dub and have been enjoying it. I started to have fun with it early though. like episode 5 or 6. the first 3 episodes are pretty bad though.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Kemono Friends s2 09

D1k6GttXcAAAPxl.jpg

D1k6ZZzWkAAdONf.jpg

D1k6xIRXQAIgJo6.jpg

I don't like this episode because it made me tear up because Domestic Dog put her life on the line and got the shit beaten out of her, by a fucking tiger, to save Kyururu then they twist the knife by having her relegated to her depressing fate of being that dog who forever wait at home, alone, for a human to return but you know no human is ever going to come back home. God she was so excited to finally meet a human again and it has additional meaning cause she's a dog and not a wild animal like the rest of them so you know she craves to be around humans and they VERY much established that too.

Oct 25, 2017
Run with the Wind 21

AH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YUKIHIKO YUKI YUKI YUKI TEAM YUKI YUKI delivers. Im so glad. After Shindo san he was my favorite.

and Sakaki is finally prove that he is not all talk and no action. Gonna be so good seeing him deliver.

Oct 25, 2017
YU-GI-OH! VRAINS Episode 93
tumblr_poc0264Xo01sxrzx2o4_540.gif

Wow emotional episode, I cant even. Yusaku AND AI both emotional. Then of course Soul Burner there with our passionate YUKI KAJI scream! Easily will be one of the highlights of the entire anime.

tumblr_poauqjuPVG1sdqz9bo4_r1_540.gif

This was even more emotional than BLue Girl going bye bye. Wow.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
I've continued to watch Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan week to week, and it's been a pretty great and surprising collection of shorts. One week, you might get Yoshitomo Yonetani (Food Wars, Tiger & Bunny: The Rising) directing a wild farce about Ekoda dealing with pests in her apartment, containing an unbroken fast-moving thirty-second cut as she tries to swat a mosquito. The very next, you get Ryousuke Takahashi (VOTOMS) doing a slow-paced rotoscoped snapshot of Ekoda in her apartment. Masayuki Kobayashi (Master Keaton, Monster, Made in Abyss) handled what may have been my favorite episode so far, placing more focus on how Ekoda is viewed by others at a drinking party with her friend M. Even last week, Spice and Wolf director Takeo Takahashi (so shy that he refused to appear on camera for the post-short interview and had a voice actor deliver his answers) handled his three minutes as a single unbroken first-person cut with some very effectively-implemented CG at Ekoda's day job in a life insurance company phone center.

But the most surprising episode yet, naturally, came from Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushishi, Flowers of Evil), who collaborated with award-winning modern artist Yuriko Sasaoka for this week's episode. The intro will not prepare you. It was the first time I really wanted to see the post-interview production segment. Nagahama, Sasaoka, and VA Ai Kobayashi also deliver the best interview of the show.

I'm really glad this show exists, and it's gotten me thinking about importing the full manga.
I really liked Shigino Akira's take of it, turned it into a furry show as an excuse for having her (and consequently everyone else) naked lol

But yeah, Yoshitomo Yonetani went out of his way with this just because he figured he can.

Nov 1, 2017
A big reason for why things got rushed and then suddenly stopped here is because it is now caught up to the manga in Japan and Kodansha wants to drum up sales for this coming arc above anything else they do with any ongoing published work they have.

A second season would be greatly welcome and we still have two more episodes left, one of Shizu meeting the demon in black we saw followed by one of Veldora's POV of things.

A season 2 wouldn't surprise me for a variety of complex reasons pertaining to the production of the series, but I'd rather it be about the skipped content getting fleshed out more than anything else.

Edit: I can go into more detail, but that would be going into spoiler territory.

Oh, Didn't know the anime caught up to the manga. Well, time to buy the entire series!

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
What is the best OP and ED of the season in Anime-era's opinion? I need to get a list ready for something.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Roommate is a Cat 6
This world is merciless and cruel but there are good cats in it too! especially cool ones with only one eye! the majima of cats!

I want to read that yankee-cat manga come to think of it

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

High chance. Slime kills the charts in every way (anime sales, manga sales, LN sales). The end here seems a bit confusing because shit would have hit the fan, but...they ended it on a happy note (which is better for anyone not having read further).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Not an actual list of good OPs and EDs but the ones that I end not skipping so it is likely that they have catchy music instead of being of high quality even with subpar or hardly no animation.
OPs: Kaguya, Boogiepop
EDs: Dororo, Quintuplets

Status
Not open for further replies.