• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy you're gunna need a few more days after EoE then lol. I feel like half the internet misinterprets it, but since you got something out of the tv ending and didn't get pissed off like many have, maybe you can see where it all goes (I'm holding back spoilers for discussion afterwards :x) It's worth watching the fanmade edit of The Concurrence of Evangelion later, which explains things very well.

Just finished watching End of Evangelion now. Which definitely broke my brain again.

It's nice to have a more 'clear' ending. Although I'm still completely lost in regards to what I just witnessed and what it should mean. I've got feelings about it, but I couldn't explain it with words if I had to.

I secretly liked the TV ending a bit more. Although completely confusing it felt inspired as heck and utterly captivating. The movie felt like someone took over from the original creator, ran with some similar ideas and concepts, and above all tried to be weird and added some unnecessary 'shock value' such as the vagina face hole, etc.

Edit: What is the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy? And should I watch it?
Edit #2: Oh that seems like it's a remake of the original series. Don't think I'll be watching that since I don't like that new stye of animation.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Daily Lives Of High School Boys and I'm so sad that there's only one season. I'm such a sucker of comedy anime. Lucky Star, Gintama, DLOHSB etc.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Edit #2: Oh that seems like it's a remake of the original series. Don't think I'll be watching that since I don't like that new stye of animation.

It started as a remake but very quickly starts going in a completely different direction. The last part should be out this year or next, so nobody really knows how different the ending will be this time.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It started as a remake but very quickly starts going in a completely different direction. The last part should be out this year or next, so nobody really knows how different the ending will be this time.
Interesting. I'll watch it in the future. Maybe when the last part is released. My brain has been messed with enough for now.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Just finished watching End of Evangelion now. Which definitely broke my brain again.

It's nice to have a more 'clear' ending. Although I'm still completely lost in regards to what I just witnessed and what it should mean. I've got feelings about it, but I couldn't explain it with words if I had to.

I secretly liked the TV ending a bit more. Although completely confusing it felt inspired as heck and utterly captivating. The movie felt like someone took over from the original creator, ran with some similar ideas and concepts, and above all tried to be weird and added some unnecessary 'shock value' such as the vagina face hole, etc.

Yeah it's a show that words can't make it justice. The movie is definitely a little less optimistic than the show ending, I like to think of them as sort of two sides of the same coin though.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Hero Aca 76
All the big moments in this arc have just fell flat for me.

High Q OVA and new season
Look at all these jobber teams plus the cat boys
Training arc is meh enough but at least it breaks the pacing from just having matchs all the time.

Vinland Saga
Lol at some of the exposition "hello fellow viking let me explain to you how vikings work"

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MHA S4 13
Well animated fight scene but still lacking the emotional impact I was hoping for, pretty much on par with how Bones has handled almost all of the major story beats in MHA.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Smile Down The Runway 01

Ikuto and Chiyuki are so damn cute. loved this, can't wait to see more of their journey.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu Ovas and S4E1
It was cool to see more of Nekoma and Fukuroudani, for the first episode itself I like how they built Hinata hubris and determination. He thinking he is at Kageyama or even Tsukki level and then being brought down to earth and the subsequent invasion of the training provided a good punchline but it is his relationship with the trainer of Shiratorizawa that makes the episode, it quickly goes from a fun opunchline to major moment that Hinata needs to prove himself. He being the ball boy is also important because, if I remember correctly, it was what that trainer function when he tried to play volley as a kid.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Daily Lives Of High School Boys and I'm so sad that there's only one season. I'm such a sucker of comedy anime. Lucky Star, Gintama, DLOHSB etc.
There were a lot of great comedy shows during that era.

Minami-ke
Working!!
Joshiraku
The Tatami Galaxy
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
Macademi Wasshoi
Infinite Stratos
Kämpfer

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
trying to watch all the gundams this year. this is blowing my mind right now.

gundam-char-jetpack.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Ishuzoku Reviewers Episode 1:

The new Harley Quinn series exists and is an actually funny adult comedy series unlike this one joke affair.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 2

Not sure it's a good idea to be talking about your forgotten past and Baby Kyubey to to Kyubey Iroha. That thing takes advantage of everything. Feels like Ui wished to be forgotten, since I don't see how wishing for her disease to be cured links to her disappearance. Also feels a little weird that Ui went to a hospital in a different city, but maybe it was the closest place with a treatment. Of the new trio, Momoko is cool, Rena is a petty jerk, and Kaede is an idiot. They'll be fun to follow. The Chain Monster rumor is really specific. How does that even start? Really like that there's a counseling center/hospital for magical girls. Overall more setup than anything else, but still interesting setup.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nekopara made me extremely uncomfortable. No thank you, return that to the kitchen.

But Bofuri was really fun. I think my favorite part is how imbalanced the game mechanics happen to be - I hope the characters eventually acknowledge it in some way.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I watched both the tv series and EoE when I was younger and thought that I "got it" until I had some discussions with friends and read up on some things. What was interesting was how annoyed I was with the characters watching it when I was younger (around the kids age) and then re-watching it when I was older. It was a really different experience, and I couldn't view it in the same way in that second re-watch, but it made way more sense. Not nearly as depressing as some made it to be.

But once you realize that

both the tv ending AND EoE actually happen at the same time, it makes a lot more sense. I think that's why people despise the tv ending so much. It's the mental angle of what's physically going on at the same time, which felt too anti-climatic (plus the fact that they were low budget at the time to end it proper...). I mentioned The End of Evangelion - Concurrency Project, because a fan tied all of the scenes together into one seamless, giant movie. Helps make sense to confused people with this, but just a great way to see it fit all together.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 2

Quite enjoying this. Rena, Momoko and Kaede are neat characters and I'm glad this show is continuing its tradition of teenagers making terrible, terrible decisions at all times.

I don't think I will ever stop hating Kubey with the firey passion of a thousand suns.

He was only in one scene and managed to be extra-punchable somehow. "I'm asking purely out of curiosity." Yes, I'm sure you were...

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
MHA 76

Well the music sure was epic. The fight was fine. chisiaki doesn't really do anything here except getting Idaho potato smashed.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Magica Side Story 2
That was a dark turn to such a childish fight. The trio were interesting with their dynamic, if unstable, relationship up to this point. Real interesting in what Rena's wish was considering her lack of friends striking such a nerve. The icons in the background during the food scene were also a neat touch, playing along with the creepy nature of the town.

Bofuri 1
Now this is what I call a real Shield Hero.
I don't think I will ever stop hating Kubey with the firey passion of a thousand suns.
Yeah, that whole bullshit argument was definitely rage-inducing. Of course you know she's 1000% on the mark you trash pile.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
So, what's hot this season? Instead of watching anything remotely relevant, I think I'm finally going to get around to that Spice and Wolf blu-ray I bought like 6 months ago and... I dunno, finally watch that "Kimetsu no Yaiba" all the kids are into these days.
Interesting. I'll watch it in the future. Maybe when the last part is released. My brain has been messed with enough for now.
If you want to see Hideaki Anno work out his feelings on the franchise he created while aggressively trolling the fanbase along the way, the rebuilds are worth watching. EVA 3.33 in particular is such a giant, prolonged middle finger of a film that I can't wait to see how that lunatic manages to follow it up.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Steins;Gate 0

Finished!

It wasn't as good as the original and it wasn't necessary, but it was still great and worth watching. It had highs that were as high as the highs in the original (it just didn't have as many of them). There was definitely more filler, anime shenanigans, and plot threads that went nowhere. But it didn't ruin the original in any way. If the original was an 11/10, this is a 9/10. Steins;Gate as a series is definitely one of my top anime series now.

Haven't watched the OVAs or the movie. Not too interested in them tbh. Maybe I'll look into them another time. I did have to watch 23B of course since that sets up S;G0.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hero Aca 76
All the big moments in this arc have just fell flat for me.
To be honest this is where I'm at - everything from Mirio's fight with Overhaul to the final unveiling of
full cowl 100%
just lacked the emotional punch compared to individual moments in S1 and 2. This season was just a wash for me.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There were a lot of great comedy shows during that era.

Minami-ke
Working!!
Joshiraku
The Tatami Galaxy
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
Macademi Wasshoi
Infinite Stratos
Kämpfer
Thanks for some of these. I have a crunchy roll sub but it rarely has shows like these. Where can I watch them? I see funimation has some seasons of some on YouTube. But, I need something consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
Plunderer Episode 1 EngDub

Now that Im caught up on 18 Price is right episodes, Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune ones, as well as Manifest, Evil, and Emergence, I can finally anime again....

Though this was going to be a respectable and well-intentioned anime but the pervy Ace is a bit unsettling as well as the femchars beating up on him. Disappointing. Whiny femLead isn't helping either.

That said the concept is pretty good and I love the Ace character so will continue to watch. Can definitely feel that this is a type of show Funi would get and it shows.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Myriad Colors Phantom World

So this show pretty much had the same problem I had with Beyond the Boundary, it really needed to be a bit longer to properly flesh out both the setting and characters, and in this case, needed an antagonist with a stronger presence beyond the meager 2 episodes they were in. Especially since those last two episodes were so much more engaging compared to the monster of the week stuff in all the others. Kind of surprised this didn't seem to get a movie like most other KyoAni shows, even Tamako Market managed to have one. Also had a lot more lewd moments than I expected from a KyoAni show.

Oct 25, 2017
Radiant Episode 11 and 12 EngDub

Feels like we've been in the same place for months, like will this season finally carry us to another land.

Seth breaking through the curse that afflicted him was great as well as the telepathy scenes, nice character growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.