• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Astra Lost in Space 2-4

Heh this is so over the top it actually is entertaining.

Episode 4 was absolutely idiotic, what an interesting premise wasted on poor delivery.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Hai Step Jun 1-12

One of the first series where Junichi Sato directed , mid-80s. I had vaguely heard of this series few years ago but had never the chance to watch it because it was broadcast incomplete and on a few channels few decades ago on my region.

Despite not being a magical girl anime it shares similarities with the genre but with more originality. Main character is a normal girl but instead of magic, flowers, idol, princesses etc she is into engineering and inventing gadgets and machinery and is also into cooking, helping her parents restaurant. She even invented her own robot sidekicks and has a lab on her room. Though she is too short for her age and is confused by others as an elementary school kid. Her love interest is a delinquent guy interested in motorcycles and has troubles with biker gangs. Yet she knows about fixing motorcycles more than he does. It kinda works like a magical girl anime, except we have scifi gadgets instead of magic and the evildoers are usually the biker gangs. I like the comedy and romance aspect so far and it is a pity no other series made something similar after this. It did not set a trend like Stop! Hibari-Kun. Now with Precure chances for such changes by Toei are even less.
MC reminded me of LWA Constanze, except that here she talks and has also a romance interest.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Astra 5

This was a lot. Good for Luca he's a boss. Ulgar was great too. Finally some decently executed backstories. Yeah Ulgar x Luca let's goooo.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I left the theatres underwhelmed it didn't come close to Your Name. Beautiful visuals as expected but the one thing that stuck with me...
whats with all the weird boob jokes

I'm sensing a pattern with that particular humor now after Your Name.

I know anime always sexualizes shit but there was a particular scene that came off as creepy as hell...kinda turned me off from checking out the rest of this directors movies

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot the name of this upcoming anime (or manga, I can't even remember that, might be both) about a guy who's from the final town in an RPG and finds himself in the starting town.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Haikyu!! S3 END
What do I get for predicting the sets and the match? Lol. Still very good. Don't think I'll watch season 4, though. Chihayafuru remains Queen of sports anime for me.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

Same furuba season 2 sneak peek, this time with subs. Some big hints to the season character arcs in this.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hanako-kun 02

This solidified this show as possibly my show of the season. Every aspect is executed with perfection. The art style is consistent in each episode and it just really catches the eye, the music is amazing and I want the soundtrack immediately. I love the narrator telling tales of youkai in the episode and before the ED. This and Eizouken are the top shows for me currently. I'm pleased.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Made in Abyss confirmed to get a sequel series

unsure if in this context if it means it's getting another movie or tv series.

ANN has updated the wording in this article. While Kadokawa used the word "series" with the sequel, the word "series" in Japanese can often refer to the overall franchise itself instead of meaning specifically that the sequel will be a series.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Smile Down the Runway 02

Yanagida was brutal as hell in this episode with his treatment of Ikuto and working his assistants into a god damn health scare. my guy is STRESSED. Felt pretty bad for Ikuto at the start but I like how committed he was in the end. not much of a focus on Chiyuki this week but I loved how supportive she was for Ikuto. seems like theres a lot of savage people in the fashion industry. Can't wait to see what Ikuto does with the dress next week.

this is my favorite show of the new season!

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So I left the theatres underwhelmed it didn't come close to Your Name. Beautiful visuals as expected but the one thing that stuck with me...

I know anime always sexualizes shit but there was a particular scene that came off as creepy as hell...kinda turned me off from checking out the rest of this directors movies
At the very least check out Garden of Words. Doesn't really have any of that.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ishuzoku Reviewers Episode 2

Lmao ..... I mean if you're still watching it after the first one you gotta know what you're getting yourself into. Pretty faithful adaptation of the comic still.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Spring 2020: Fruits Basket S2/ Oregairu S3 / Kaguya Sama S2 / Re:Zero S2

Like damn, spring is looking pretty hot right now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haikyuu is king by default for showing the best sports game.
Also it is a true sports game and not drama

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 3

Honestly I can't tell if the writing is any good or not. But the interesting directing really elevates this to a must watch. Always something interesting going on onscreen. That sure was a witch, or whatever it was. Not a familiar I guess. Looks like they'll be used to help with character development. Coordinator seems to be power-up central in Kamihama. Pretty obvious how Iroha was irrelevant here and just a guest to someone else''s story. But it's episode 3, and if there's one character defined by episode 3, well they had to bring her in. Hype as long as she and her friends don't take over the story, which I'm sure they won't.

Oct 25, 2017
Cautious Hero Episode 11 EngDub

What in the world we get the goofy hilarious swimsuit buying scene followed by the true history of the series...like, Im crying at how brutal they made this. Ugh.

Also I would hate playing some game where you kill the final boss and then it has a second life...

Mashed Potatoes better not die!!!

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Magica Record 3
Visually amazing episode around Rena finally making up with Kaede. I wonder just how much that Soul Gem enhancement will go as it seems like Tamaki lags far behind the other girls. Stinger at the end completely changes the game. It's something that I didn't even consider but makes sense considering the circumstances.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Dorohedoro episode 1

Could have don't without
the young woman getting her face ripped off.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Magia Record 3

I have more appreciation for the anime after trying to play through the first couple parts of the game's story because yikes, the format of having static portraits vomitting words at each other inbetween mediocre RPG battles does not mesh well with Madoka Magica at all.

That aside, good episode, visually striking as per usual though something about the pacing still rubs me the wrong way. Also Kyubey remains punchable as always.

I like how in the original show Mami dies at the end of episode 3 while in this show she shows up and is introduced at the very end of episode 3.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd like to add to my brief review above with a statement , I'm AMAZED that Ishuzoku Reviewers is actually on funimation. Sure it's censored all over the place and has a couple of content warnings but .... like a 12 year old kid could load up "My hero Acadamia" and move just a couple pages over to find this show lol. Not complaining though because I'm an oldtaku and find this shit hilarious but there it is.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Weathering with You
This is why teen romance stories are really stupid sometimes. All the stupid, jackass moves I did? It's fine because I love her so much! This is a stupid movie with confused messaging. One thing Shinkai movies will always get right is the background arts. They are amazing.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Saiki Reawakened 1-6 END

Mostly this feels like likea adaptation of batch of chapters that were previously judged to be of inferior quality and very much justifiably so. There's some good stuff in last anime original ep I assume but other than that it's a very weak offering.

Haikyuu S4

I think I can honestly say this is the most epic "I'm setting out on a quest ... to mop the floor" I've seen.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
MHA S4 14
Decent send-off for Nighteye and wrap-up of the arc. Also a brief explanation why they can't use Eri as a Quirk Crutch due to her inability to control that power.
carole and tuesday concert is going live soon (you need a free MAL account to join)

edit: the lack of full screen and "combos" covering most of the screen every 10-30 seconds is kind of annoying lol.
I've got it on in the background which works just fine for me.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

my conclusion after a few years living in japan is basically the way japanese people think about sexual humour is generally largely more puerile and not necessarily sexualised in tone in the same way that it would be thought of in the west to have dick/boob jokes (to a certain degree). like when it's a ubiquitous and ancient meme that kancho'ing adults is a hilarious prank for grade schoolers to learn, the way people think about boob jokes (especially for adolescents) is way more normalised over there as 'oh it's okay to laugh at this' and it just doesn't have the same general connotations as it would here.

obvs this is a larger thing esp as it relates to japan's many issues with sexual harrassment, power dynamics etc, but i think as a generalised rule it's just like: they (and I'm not entirely sure but I think this is true for men and women) just don't see it as that creepy

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Magia Record 03

Did a magical girl use her wish to change the laws of physics and make a perpetual motion machine possible?

...well, if the universe hasn't collapsed by now it's probably fine.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Twilight Wings 1
God this is good wtf. English dub not having really UK accents why though. The cinematography and framing and lighting of every shot is fucking immaculate.

Heya Camp 2
Fun. I want to go to the Fuji Center now, which I'm sure was the aim.

Rewatches
MHA s3

Watching with the girlfriend and she's having fun, I'm just following along. Noticed a few things here and there I hadn't previously. Still just absolutely solid though I'm a bit more annoyed at the constant flashbacks to five minutes ago or whatever this time around. Midoriya realising that he has more than two limbs is just as hilarious though.

Kaguya-sama 1
Girlfriend didn't like it :< :< :<. "If you two like each other, just tell one another!" this is what happens when you get with a shonen fangirl

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MHA S4E14
Good episode! That mission was basically a disaster and I'm glad this episode reflected that. Hilarious that Overhaul has lost his arms; perfect ending for such an awful villain.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
honestly using anime as a rough guide to 'if you're going to domestic holiday in japan here's some places to go' is 100% my jam.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've got it on in the background which works just fine for me.
I'm quite amused that...

crystal's singer showed up as an unexpected guest just like in the series :P with her doubling up on vocal songs I have to imagine that we will have the duet with carole and tuesday next, loneliest girl and then ending on mother with cybell's singer taking gravity bounce girl's part and desmond's part just being done over speakers.

oh yeah angela has two songs left as well doesn't she.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm quite amused that...

crystal's singer showed up as an unexpected guest just like in the series :P with her doubling up on vocal songs I have to imagine that we will have the duet with carole and tuesday next, loneliest girl and then ending on mother with cybell's singer taking gravity bounce girl's part and desmond's part just being done over speakers.

oh yeah angela has two songs left as well doesn't she.
Pyotor's singer could cover for Desmond, but man I would have killed to hear either of his songs live. Actually surprised that Cybelle's singer showed up too and made me wonder who all would actually show up to this concert.
It's been a good concert so far.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Pyotor's singer could cover for Desmond, but man I would have killed to hear either of his songs live. Actually surprised that Cybelle's singer showed up too and made me wonder who all would actually show up to this concert.
It's been a good concert so far.

• Carole & Tuesday (Vo. Nai Br.XX & Celeina Ann)
  • Angela (Vo. Alisa)
  • Cybelle (Vo. Maika Loubté)
  • Crystal (Vo. Lauren Dyson)
  • Pyotr (Vo. J R Price)

were confirmed for the concert, so only the one surprise so far.
and yeah I suppose JR PRICE could double dip as well.

man... I forgot how many songs angela had as this still isn't the one I thought she had left lol.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Flip Flappers END

Not bad, but this is the third series I've gone through recently that felt like it really needed to be a bit longer to have a better balance of fleshing out characters and world building. The twins and that and that third child, plus the other two working with the doctor at Flip Flap all needed a bit more screen time instead of basically just being plot devices.

Also kind of unrelated, but does anyone have an idea of what reasons a series gets put under the Funimation Essentials line. Like, is it like their Classics line that was for more popular shows, or SAVE that was for series that seemed to underperform a bit/coming up on their rights expiring for it. I'm just curious because I bought Tsukigakure Essentials and it would honestly make me pretty upset if it fell into the latter category lol.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
were confirmed for the concert, so only the one surprise so far.
and yeah I suppose JR PRICE could double dip as well.
No other surprises other than JR is a poor version of Desmond. Then again, Desmond is one-of-a-kind.

They were right to go out on Loneliest Girl, and Mother.
Fake edit: Right, Hold Me Now wrapping this up.

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

That match with color hair is so 👌🏼

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
MHA 77 :

Ok.

God of Destruction 2:

This show is sending so many mixed signals, I Don't get it !!!! Is the car guy unconsciously into Miguel? I guess I'll just let the skits hit me and expect nothing from it. Funny show.

Status
Not open for further replies.