• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I could watch all of these new shows coming out this season.

... or I could watch New Game! again for the 100th time.

damn i should watch new game again

i really wish it was the shirobako of game dev but i'll settle for it being the yuribait of gamedev

i do find it funny that even in stuff that is kinda really soft edgey and cheerleady of the industry creators always, always reference crunch or being forced to sleep under your desk at work or whatever

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
[Spoilers btw]

Not just any politicians, these were world leaders. At a G7-summit. Adjacent to the ostensibly less important suicide summit. (Both were about suicide anyway.) It's time to hit the breaks. To stop and think. Again. No, this time it matters—for real. It's because people will follow their leaders, like Simon says, especially if Simon is the Whore of Babylon since that's literally the apex of influence here. In the eleventh hour episode, fundamental morality is what's on the agenda with president Wood of the United States at the helm (legendary MMORPG player by night). A kickoff of gay rights sets the mood to the backdrop of a fetus, a scale, and outer space.

But none of that matters. The villain(s), having been stood up, act out by setting the stage for a group suicide on a scale of hundreds of thousands of "supporters."
Surely POTUS Wood's woodcutting level is high enough to outlast the Whore of Babylon and come out on top.
Forget the wheels, this train runs on faith. Faith that two of the ten commandments should be the golden rules to base legislative policy on. 🍿

Yeah it's like an Aaron Sorkin show about good and evil and I don't know if that's a good thing. It's certainly entertaining, but at the same time it's just a lot. Like it's hard to maintain suspension of disbelief here. Like it is laughable to think world leaders would sit and talk about this shit , and yet if you just forget they are world leaders their discussion atleast is a semi-complex look at good v evil at a communal and personal level. It's ambitious and at least I'll give it credit for that.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Only problem with March comes a like a Lion Season 2 is that their is far too little of the step sister.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Interspeicies Reviewers 2
....there were multiple sections of this episode that were nothing but giant "we will remove this censorship for the DVD".
I did like the concept of the fairy brothel having a size limit

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
March comes like a Lion is great becuase its about someone crawling out of the hole of depression instead of falling into it.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Babylon 11
This show is so weird and stupid but I also think it is good for some reason.

I doubt that our real word leaders would sit there for hours and have a grand discussion about what is good and what is evil. I just don't buy that.

I think the reason I can give this a pass is the first half of the show. It's clear that the show understands the complexity of what good and evil is. The way our detective has been thrown in this impossible situation where he has to wrestle with his believe of justice is poignant and interesting. This second half where we have 4D chess WOW master literally tasked with giving us the ultimate answer to good and evil does feel like its in direct opposition of that first half. I feel that the thinker will not come with an ultimate answer, but it is silly to see all of these efforts depicted. It's a lot to buy in though.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BanG Dream! S3 4-5

Making music videos when you're rich vs making videos when you're not lol

Both music videos were pretty fun. Everyone in Raise A Suilen is great, and it's good to see that the writers do a pretty good job of building these characters without using the game.

The eventual RAS and Roselia showdown is going to be awesome, too bad there aren't anymore new episodes until March I think because of the release schedule being tied to the CD releases. Bandori's a crazy franchise.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
It doesn't leave you depressed afterwards. It talks a lot about depressing stuff but 3-gastu always felt like a warm hug from a friend.
As someone that feel anxiety easy, watch it. It manages to telll its story without making you feel like trash after.
Exactly this.
March comes like a Lion is great becuase its about someone crawling out of the hole of depression instead of falling into it.

It's usually done very poorly, (see red eyes =evil in every anime) but I love the way 3-Gatsu uses color as symbolism for Rei's emotions.

This gif pretty much says it all as it speaks to the two parts of Rei that are at odds with each other constantly:

[ing]https://media1.tenor.com/images/f3f74e1aecefe33d55a66bd25d8cc096/tenor.gif?itemid=14247225[/img]

Yet, every time that door opens, it's a guiding light for Rei and that's makes it all worth while:

tenor.gif

kawamoto-sisters-best.gif

momo.gif

Knowing and watching those interactions and the emotional side behind it, really makes the show shine for me.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of March comes like a Lion, is any site streaming Honey and Clover in the EU? Started the manga a while back and thought I might watch the anime first since I believe it covers the whole thing?

Dec 4, 2017
Ishuzoku Reviewers E02:

Succubus Party electoral slogan: "If You Want To Fuck, Vote Succ!"

Best line of the episode: "Well, fuck off, then, you P*ccolo-wannabe"

Man of Culture: The Anime.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

The manga releases way too slowly.

Fans at JF must've been so disappointed to get just that.

As for 3-gatsu, there's almost enough for a fourth season at this point.

I'm fine with a volume a year. And at least we have more to enjoy now that the spinoff is being translated.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Colorful (movie)

Watched this some days ago since it appeared very early in the past decade and I couldn't remember it well. I already kind of forgot it again but do remember it was heavily reliant on its music, which was pleasant, heartfelt, and well-used. The scenery was nice too. As expected of a work about a kid's suicide, it's comforting in an everything-will-be-okay-if-we-just-open-up way—with proper guidance from a third-party being the caveat. What it wanted to do with the paid-dating middle-school student and cheating mother felt unclear, but the dynamics between the protagonist and his family, acquaintances, and friends were interesting to see play out.

EX8XxAJ.png

So his mom was cheating, the girl he liked was involved in funny business, and the girl that liked him was unattractive. The little boy saved him, dad encouraged him to forgive mom, big bro actually loved him lots but was awkward, and he made a new buddy that really liked trains. HMM... lol, there is some positivity from the girls and mom here but it's buried underneath all these messy filters that the protagonist has to look past? The kid just needed to man up? Idk, pretty eh overall.

Gunslinger Girl 1–13 [END]

Although it's slooooooooow, I liked this. A lifetime ago, I thought it was just boring, like Lain. But like Lain, it turned out to be not boring. Cool. All the characters and episodes were interesting, and I do like how neutral it felt instead of force-feeding perspectives or parroting platitudes.

WO5j1LI.png

The only issue is how the long the murder-suicide was kept from surfacing as a plausible scenario to the investigators. But the more I think about it, the more believable it is for that to be blocked off since the cyborgs being more than just puppets is unthinkable to outsiders and even most insiders. Questioning the conditioning is what it comes down, as it often does, and doing so comes with scary ramifications in this case—that their implanted loyalty can manifest in dangerous ways. Still, it seemed silly at first to seriously entertain alternatives with how obvious it was from the viewer's perspective, lol. Even Henrietta knew.

Opening episode 2 with 4 minutes from episode 1 was confusing at first too. Otherwise, it was strong all the way through with a surprisingly effective ending.

Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino- 1–13 + OVAs 1 & 2 [END]

Whether I watched this all or not before, I struggle to remember, but it's the same stuff with execution and delivery that's not anywhere near as engaging as before. The score was more memorable at least. I mean, that'll happen when you use your main theme a billion times over. About halfway through, once the jarring downgrade settled, it was somewhat enjoyable again but still... At least I finally know/remember more about Jean now.

Visually, it was hard to watch. The bad case of shaky camera thankfully diminished, but the odd inversions of color, excessive grain, rampant SPEED LINES, cheap effects, shoddy animation, etc. made me question what art even meant to studio Artland. An added objective lens for the girls—absent from the previous entry—was just as confusing. Some of the sound design was funny too.

Antagonists worth caring about this time was nice. (They better be when it's more story-driven.) Lastly, I always loved the OP's theme song. The stressed vocals and explosive beats of the chorus express the dire swings of the themes well. There's definitely a more impulsive energy here than its much more mature predecessor.

OTkCSDj.png

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started Sakura Quest and while I can relate to Yoshino's disdain for the countryside towns it's also became a lot harder for me to take seriously when they're in a town with 50k people, coming from someone in a backwater town with less than 4k people for our whole county...

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Chihaya S3 15:

Well that was the closest I have ever been to skipping parts of a chihayafuru episodes. Miss me with all this Arata Stuff. I actually was even more upset when Chihaya turned out to be thinking about Karuta again, the author is just messing with people now. Second half of the episode was great and Lord at that last sentence oof.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started Sakura Quest and while I can relate to Yoshino's disdain for the countryside towns it's also became a lot harder for me to take seriously when they're in a town with 50k people, coming from someone in a backwater town with less than 4k people for our whole county...
I was super excited for Sakura Quest coming off of Shirobako, but it was a pretty big disappointment in the end (gave it a 5/10 overall). The first cour is fun at least.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Chihayafuru S3 15
giphy.gif

Chihaya on cloud nine after Arata's confession but also mixing her euphoria with Harada's win because that's the kind of dork she is. Kana holding her hand got an "awwwww" from me. Suo is a brutal player apparently. Did not expect that play style from him.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finished Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer) first season. Yeah, not for me. Really could not get into it sadly despite all the hype. What really did it for me was the side characters, boar head and blonde friends. They really laid into their personalities hard in each scene. Seeing that guy cry and whine full blast was funny the first time and tiring by the second.

I can see the appeal though, but I don't think I'll continue it.

Also finally got around to KonoSuba Season 2 after all this time. Fun times for sure. Hope there is a season 3 sometime.

Tried Kandagawa Jet Girls because of the game that released last week and my love of nonsense arcade racers. Yeah... I knew it was the same as the Senrankagura people but oof, this was boring and bad. I'm sure it will find its niche but this level of pandering was a bit much and I only watched two episodes haha.

Gotta look at what the current/upcoming anime to keep an eye on is this season. Was nice to watch anime again after so long.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Chihayafuru S3 15
giphy.gif

Chihaya on cloud nine after Arata's confession but also mixing her euphoria with Harada's win because that's the kind of dork she is. Kana holding her hand got an "awwwww" from me. Suo is a brutal player apparently. Did not expect that play style from him.

This whole episode was a broadside attack on my battleship. It hurt me to watch it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ALJKSDJKLASDHLJHKASDJKLASDJKLASD

NOT PAYING TAXES PAYS OFF

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Bang Dream S3 4-5

RAS finally becomes a group. Not just in name, but in their character dynamics. They're already matching the main bands with much less screen-time, so I'm really looking forward to them being fully integrated into the game. LOCK and Masking being close is a nice touch. CHU2 isn't exactly cheating with her money and connections, but getting pros to make them a flashy MV is clearly way beyond what the hundreds of other bands are capable of. PoPiPa tries their hardest to match them, and bless their hearts for trying and making something that doesn't look embarrassing. Not sure how much it can help them, but they're not a complete unknown, and presuming they're going to beat Roselia despite being stupidly behind every little bit helps. Roselia staying ahead without gimmicks is impressive, but RAS is clearly the ones with the initiative and getting Roselia to move how they want. But Yukina is capable of 4-d chess, so maybe she's scheming something after all. Two more strong episodes, and this is shaping up to be the best season yet.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
maybe log horizon will get some sakuga this time around lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, guess I'm gonna have to watch Log Horizon at some point.
all you really need to know is

:P

more seriously, it's a decent series. Has some interesting takes on the trapped in a mmo thing and focuses more on the world than just battles. It can be slow at times because of this though.
though if I recall right it does have some questionable content, but not as much as a lot of the well known light novel adaptions.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
I was super excited for Sakura Quest coming off of Shirobako, but it was a pretty big disappointment in the end (gave it a 5/10 overall). The first cour is fun at least.

It wasn't as good as Shirobako, but I still liked it. Chupacabra bits were weird. The ending song is great!

Finished Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer) first season. Yeah, not for me. Really could not get into it sadly despite all the hype. What really did it for me was the side characters, boar head and blonde friends. They really laid into their personalities hard in each scene. Seeing that guy cry and whine full blast was funny the first time and tiring by the second.

I can see the appeal though, but I don't think I'll continue it.

Also finally got around to KonoSuba Season 2 after all this time. Fun times for sure. Hope there is a season 3 sometime.

Gotta look at what the current/upcoming anime to keep an eye on is this season. Was nice to watch anime again after so long.

Same for me on Demon Slayer. Maybe the shounen genre just isn't for me anymore. I love the animations for the Breathing Techniques, the style fits. It was worth watching for those scenes.

Konosuba is so wacky. People were comparing Cautious Hero to it, so I had some expectations for Cautious Hero. I guess I saw some similarities, but Konosuba has a level of fun that Cautious Hero never manages to reach. It's the voice actors, imo. Well not only them. It just felt like a work that everyone enjoyed creating.

For those who haven't watched it. Watch it before Aqua throws a tantrum. Too late.

7c026898739067e0e5a38432fa133afa.gif

lol love it. Reminds me of:

giphy.gif

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't as good as Shirobako, but I still liked it. Chupacabra bits were weird. The ending song is great!

I only watched the first three episodes tonight, but afterwards I listened to this song on loop for like an hour straight lol.

And it seems like recently has been a good time to get into/already be a fan of shows that had their last season six or so years ago lol. Index, Railgun, Chihayafuru, Log Horizon... Anything I'm missing? Hell, even for dubs we got Waiting in the Summer, Golden Time, and even the first season of fucking To Love Ru is getting one after all this time.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
I only watched the first three episodes tonight, but afterwards I listened to this song on loop for like an hour straight lol.

And it seems like recently has been a good time to get into/already be a fan of shows that had their last season six or so years ago lol. Index, Railgun, Chihayafuru, Log Horizon... Anything I'm missing? Hell, even for dubs we got Waiting in the Summer, Golden Time, and even the first season of fucking To Love Ru is getting one after all this time.

I find myself humming the song from time to time lol

I've recently been watching some older animes I missed out on before and moogs reminded me that I've yet to watch Gunslinger Girl. The comparison/reference to Lain gets me excited to watch it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i had forgotten that the log horizon author was also the maouyuu author. the economic warfare makes sense now

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The song is on Thundercat's new album that's out soon, so we're good.

When I saw Thundercat's new album got announced the first thing I did was scan the tracklist for Unrequited Love lol

Now we just gotta wait for Flylo or Denzel Curry to release the other two tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.