• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
After checking out the Plunderer anime I decided to read the Plunderer manga.
I have now caught up to the current release and it is WILD how crazy this show gets.
Like, the current anime episodes and the way the show goes might as well be different shows

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am still reserving judgement since the show is being diligent in withholding the connections and motivations of it's characters.

It's a show were a special group of humans has the ability to directly observe and edit people's memories (think the ending sequence of Inception). This can be used to destroy their mind as incongruencies lead to their self to collapse. Alternatively they can be used to alter people's actions without harm (atleast physical harm). Turns out that in order to get the powers, someone has to share their most pressure memories with you and it kind of leaves you attached to them. Show follows the main cast in dealing with that attachment and having to work for a clearly evil shadow company. Pet appears to refer to those who are attached to you after you allow them to use their powers.

It's.....a lot.
Hmm

Sounds interesting! Worth a watch at this stage or should I wait and see how people like it?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Chihayafuru S2

Another great season, though I think I like S1 a little more since it had more variety.

I'll probably wait for S3 to finish before starting it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bofuri 5
Maple really loves destroying the environment, what with her poisoning the sea, filling caves with toxic gas, and causing acid rain to fall over large swaths of land. At least her turtle is an eco-friendly way to travel.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 1

This was visually arresting. Wow. Some excellent levels of Attack on Titan first episode world building. I look forward to watch this.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

This was visually arresting. Wow. Some excellent levels of Attack on Titan first episode world building. I look forward to watch this.

I was sad when this fell into the "let's blow our animation budget on the first episode, to give a false sense of how the rest of the show will look!" GitS SAC also fell into this, I remember

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but as someone who enjoyed most of AoT, tempering your expectations might be advisable.
I did finish Kabaneri but I was a tad disappointed in the end after the promise of that first episode.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
O Maidens in Your Savage Season Complete

Boy, this is one of the horniest shows I've seen and it only has a small amount of fan service in it.
It dances around so many adult themes that I was legitimately afraid at points for what was going to happen next.
That being said... I'm quite glad this got dubbed because it was an interesting ride and I don't think I would have made it to the end watching the sub.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Eizoken 3
I wasn't in love with the faffing around in space-repair delusion but it was fun seeing the advertising and then as the project's themes grew together (and transitioned naturally into them basically making the thing) my heart began to melt again

This show is so good. Damn.

Where did model-san find the time to get that fucking good at drawing though? I know you have to accept contrivances for anime but the two of them are legitimately incredible artists :<

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Eizoken 3
I wasn't in love with the faffing around in space-repair delusion but it was fun seeing the advertising and then as the project's themes grew together (and transitioned naturally into them basically making the thing) my heart began to melt again

This show is so good. Damn.

Where did model-san find the time to get that fucking good at drawing though? I know you have to accept contrivances for anime but the two of them are legitimately incredible artists :<
Plenty of time to bring a sketchbook to doodle in between photoshoots and commercials.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I made my housemate sad last night because we dunked on High School DxD then watched some Tenchi Muyo and I told him it was basically the same thing.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Bofuri episodes 4 -5

This show is just so cute. I love the "friendship" that the two leads have.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is that Pet anime good? What's it about?
I watched the first episode and hated it. Felt no inspiration to go back.

I thought it was an okay show. It retains the AOT vibe throughout so I think if you like that series, this will work for you. I started to watch the movie/3-part OVA thing on Netflix after but got waylaid.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I watched the first episode and hated it. Felt no inspiration to go back.

I thought it was an okay show. It retains the AOT vibe throughout so I think if you like that series, this will work for you. I started to watch the movie/3-part OVA thing on Netflix after but got waylaid.

Up to episode 4-6? They defeated the colony thing. The inter personal conflicts are a little too on the nose and predictable. The menace of their real foe is still quite interesting, specially how it affects and molds their world. I like the main character, I do not like the lead female character. Supporting cast needs more screen time, I guess the samurai dude is pretty cool.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal 18

Actually pretty good. One instance where they flipped around bits and pieces of the manga just right to make a good episode.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
HighQ
Its funny that haikyuu has fairly grounded character designs like 95% of the time then they just pull some crazy white haried weirdo out now and then.
This current arc is kind of dull when it focuses on hinata. Show more of Kaggy and all those crazy weirdos.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I saw that Netflix added DanMachi the other night and gave it a try since it's been one of my dad's favorite shows since he caught it on VRV after figuring out the streaming anime thing. Only 4 episodes in, and it's fine enough but I'm probably going to have to give up on watching the dub while doing other stuff and actually watch the subs... not feeling the cast at the moment. I also hadn't realized how hard it relies on having every. single. girl. character. hitting on the main character non stop.

I know everyone hates some casting in the Food Wars dub but I really liked the Land of the Lustrous dub... which end of the scale are sentai works dubs usually at?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that Netflix added DanMachi the other night and gave it a try since it's been one of my dad's favorite shows since he caught it on VRV after figuring out the streaming anime thing. Only 4 episodes in, and it's fine enough but I'm probably going to have to give up on watching the dub while doing other stuff and actually watch the subs... not feeling the cast at the moment. I also hadn't realized how hard it relies on having every. single. girl. character. hitting on the main character non stop.

I know everyone hates some casting in the Food Wars dub but I really liked the Land of the Lustrous dub... which end of the scale are sentai works dubs usually at?
Sentai dubs tend to be some of the lower quality dubs in the industry right now. That being said, in general they are fine, and they do have a few stand out dubs. It's not like they don't have some decent voice talent, it's just they typically have bad voice direction and often miscast voices.

It's not that uncommon to watch one of their dubs and feel like someone is doing a terrible job only to find a different dub from around the same time and feel that same person is a solid voice actor.

A lot of their romance shows tend to have good dubs though. Like I like the dubs to both Chihiyafuru and My love story.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The low cast count of something like Made in Abyss makes it the best Sentai dub in awhile. The director couldn't screw up having only two or three people talk in an episode!

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Gay Rugby #5

cPpOSkd.jpg

The show is 90% the MC bullying someone (who is clearly enjoying it), and I love it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sentai dubs tend to be some of the lower quality dubs in the industry right now. That being said, in general they are fine, and they do have a few stand out dubs. It's not like they don't have some decent voice talent, it's just they typically have bad voice direction and often miscast voices.

It's not that uncommon to watch one of their dubs and feel like someone is doing a terrible job only to find a different dub from around the same time and feel that same person is a solid voice actor.

A lot of their romance shows tend to have good dubs though. Like I like the dubs to both Chihiyafuru and My love story.
I'm still mad I own a bunch of Steven Foster directed dubs (especially because the subs are dubtitles too, eugh (Penguindrum, Kids on the Slope, Un-Go)).

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Sentai dubs...

ef a tale of melodies 1-6

So this kind of started out quite a bit less interesting than the first season, but it finally picked up a bit, funnily enough only once more of the main characters from the first season started appearing lol. But uh... it's definitely getting into heavier subject matter than the first season did with it's soap opera level drama.

Also, unless I somehow completely missed it, I'm pretty sure there was no indication in the first season that each half of the story was occurring in two different cities in Australia and Japan that for whatever reason happen to be identical.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I've been streaming Revue Starlight on request for the PonyEra streams. Two episodes in, and... do the school parts get more interesting? The battle sections are entertaining enough, but the school parts are a slog.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh wow, Tower of God getting an anime feels surreal.

Assuming that it gets more seasons, it should be a fun watch up until the train comes along.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Animated Rachel will be a joy to see. Otherwise me being meh on the webtoon atm has dampened my excitement.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Kabaneri 9

Things have escalated quite quickly. I keep laughing at the fact that Ikoma only has one lens and it's on his covered eye, it makes no sense!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I take it this is another show to inevitably look out for and add to my (CR) queue? Man, spring already has a lot, and I'm still behind on current shows!

Friend of mine told me to read Tower of God a few years ago (and I didn't because he was annoying lol) and some time last year I just started reading it and...I was absorbed into that world and I only read the first "Season" (they are called season in Webtoons I think) which was around ~ 80 chapters I think and you read by scrolling.

It's addicting and the story was great so far so I can definitly see the hype. So if they put some love into it I can see it being the number 1 in spring easily.

Edit: looking at spring 2020 it will be a great season, but except for Re:Zero there won't be anything else contending this. It's that good imo.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
AnimeLab released episode 4 of Interspecies Reviewers. Katrina is still on, and the subs are just as amazing as expected. Not to mention OP and ED have been translated and they're hilarious. Love her work in O Maidens and this show.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Gintama 124
Anime ja nai.

Anime Ja Nai 4
I'm mostly kind of apathetic to every episode so far. 3 episodes so far of Judau and his junkyard mates just getting up to hijinks and shenanigans and Mashymre being like, "those rascally kids!". But then there's Kamille still a vegetable on the corner. I really want this to start moving with some plot already.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Granbelm 11-13 END

That was an eventful set of final episodes, revealing much more of Suishou's goals and Mangetsu's role. The battle choreography is chaotic and a bit difficult to keep up with despite all the good animation, sense of scale and speed unfortunately. I like that it stuck to the ending the characters determined and there was ample reason to insist on that despite what it meant for Ernesta and Mangetsu. Though I was keen on seeing how the characters cope with that which is where I was left a bit confused -
does Ernesta retain some magic for herself? As per Suishou's reasoning, humanity will always find a replacement to magic, since magic wasn't defined as something specific, I'm assuming it's not some new type of magic but the old magic itself.

Granbelm overall is a fairly entertaining show in the sense it looks good and has some surprises along the way but there's little other reason for me to recommend this to anyone. I don't feel I've wasted my time nor do I feel particularly blown away by this.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I take it this is another show to inevitably look out for and add to my (CR) queue? Man, spring already has a lot, and I'm still behind on current shows!

Very much show. I think if it was on something like Shonen Jump it would be regarded as one of the all time bests. The progression in the story is great, the characters are fun, and the amount of world building is staggering.

Plus it has best boy Rak
VWVrp2z.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Interspecies Reviewers is getting pulled from Japanese TV. Looks like it went too far even for Japan.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017

Interspecies Reviewers is getting pulled from Japanese TV. Looks like it went too far even for Japan.

The official Twitter account for the television anime of writer Amahara and artist masha's Interspecies Reviewers (Ishuzoku Reviewers) manga announced on Friday that the Tokyo MX channel has canceled its airing of the anime due to "changes in the circumstances within Tokyo Metropolitan Television." The anime will continue to air on KBS Kyoto, Sun TV, BS11, and AT-X.

source

Status
Not open for further replies.